• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent is looking to buy Ubisoft

Draugoth

Gold Member
TENCENT, GUILLEMOT FAMILY ARE SAID TO WEIGH BUYOUT OF UBISOFTUBISOFT JUMPS 10%, ENTERS TRADING HALT, AFTER BUYOUT REPORT

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Over It Rose GIF by HULU

wipeout364

Ew. I like to see developers failing, but a Tencent takeover just turns the company into a propaganda tool.
That seems kind of an extreme take. There is some value in Ubisoft but there is a lot of garbage as well; too many employees, bankrupt creative teams and too corporate a culture.

I think it would be a difficult balance to get things turned around especially for a Chinese company dealing with all the different cultural nuances.

This is a very different situation from Riot which was a growing company at the peak of its abilities.

Must be Shawn Layden's suggestion (he's an advisor to Tencent) 😏

I mean....ugh I guess go for it? Ubisoft are at a low point, they can't get any lower under Tencent I suppose. But I wouldn't expect a rejuvenation of creativity in that type of acquisition. Just expect doubling-down on AssCreed and the like.

This would make a funny situation for Microsoft tho, because now Tencent would have cloud streaming rights to their games across Europe 😂.

How much yall think UBI is worth? I say 10 billion.

It's at $1.73 billion Euro ATM so...definitely not $10 billion American.

Try just under $2 billion dollars. It'd be a super-cheap acquisition for a company like Tencent.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Tencent "promotes" DEI in Ubisoft.
Ubisoft shares suffered because hiring idiots in the name of DEI.
Tencent buys more Ubisoft shares, takes control, kicks out DEI staffer.
Tencent will force Ubisoft to create games with hot waifus enough to trigger nuclear destination among the snowflakes, will start to have gacha games based on Ubisoft IPs.

Must be Shawn Layden's suggestion (he's an advisor to Tencent) 😏

I mean....ugh I guess go for it? Ubisoft are at a low point, they can't get any lower under Tencent I suppose. But I wouldn't expect a rejuvenation of creativity in that type of acquisition. Just expect doubling-down on AssCreed and the like.

This would make a funny situation for Microsoft tho, because now Tencent would have cloud streaming rights to their games across Europe 😂.

It's at $1.73 billion Euro ATM so...definitely not $10 billion American.

Try just under $2 billion dollars. It'd be a super-cheap acquisition for a company like Tencent.

Damn, I would think Ubi is more valued than Bethesda.

Holammer

Btw, it's not like ubisoft will sell to Tencent uncontested and that's that. There will be bidding and EU will likely not allow them to sell to Tencent without a legal fight.
Large actors like MS and even Apple have the funds to buy them, but there are others whom may express interest.

Remember the whole song and dance it took for MS to buy Activision-Blizzard? Selling Ubi to China would be that and more.

Top Bottom