• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent is looking to buy Ubisoft

GymWolf

Gold Member
For how much? Ten cents?

brian-baumgartner-badumtss.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Fbh

HL3.exe

Tencent "promotes" DEI in Ubisoft.
Ubisoft shares suffered because hiring idiots in the name of DEI.
Tencent buys more Ubisoft shares, takes control, kicks out DEI staffer.
Tencent will force Ubisoft to create games with hot waifus enough to trigger nuclear destination among the snowflakes, will start to have gacha games based on Ubisoft IPs.
You ok? This is like schizo buzzword bingo.

Damn, I would think Ubi is more valued than Bethesda.

Thought that too a while ago, but apparently not. Their high employee count and market performance of non-AssCreed games might have something to do with it.

Combined with various old debts of course.

Btw, it's not like ubisoft will sell to Tencent uncontested and that's that. There will be bidding and EU will likely not allow them to sell to Tencent without a legal fight.
Large actors like MS and even Apple have the funds to buy them, but there are others whom may express interest.

Remember the whole song and dance it took for MS to buy Activision-Blizzard? Selling Ubi to China would be that and more.

Microsoft cannot buy Ubisoft because of the 10 (or is it 15?)-year cloud streaming agreement where the CMA forbade them from acquiring Ubisoft to circumevent it. So they're out of the running on this one.

Thank GOD!!!

Hope the deal falls through and Ubisoft is forced to go private

Them going private is the best outcome.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Anyone going on tirades about DEI and making it their whole personality online is schizo to begin with, so no surprise there.

Anyway, as someone who has worked for the western arm of a Chinese company before .. godspeed to Ubi employees. They are fucked.
True, and calling the opposition 'snowflakes' while getting triggered by pride flag or a chubby girl is peak satire.

Last edited:

finalflame

True, and calling the opposition 'snowflakes' while themselves getting triggered by woke stuff is peak satire.
Part of the schizo to ignore how they are in fact as triggered as they claim others to be, lol.

But like I've said before, at least here you can call out the bullshit on both sides candidly and go on speaking. I'll take that over the alternative. Even if it means cohabitating with the crazies.

HL3.exe

Part of the schizo to ignore how they are in fact as triggered as they claim others to be, lol.

But like I've said before, at least here you can call out the bullshit on both sides candidly and go on speaking. I'll take that over the alternative. Even if it means cohabitating with the crazies.
True, I just kinda wish it wasn't constantly so extreme. Ultra progressives (Era) or ultra conservatards (a lot on Gaf). Where are the moderate liberals at?

PeteBull

True, and calling the opposition 'snowflakes' while getting triggered by pride flag or a chubby girl is peak satire.
We just laught at those games/dev teams/pubs and their failures, capitalism wont give a damn about "pride flag or chubby girl", it cares about profit, end to ubisoft is consequence of their own actions over many years

Business of making games is highly competetive and brutal, not disney movie or romantic comedy where there is no logic and ppl can be in their feelings all the time- real world doesnt work like that:messenger_sunglasses:

HL3.exe

We just laught at those games/dev teams/pubs and their failures, capitalism wont give a damn about "pride flag or chubby girl", it cares about profit, end to ubisoft is consequence of their own actions over many years

Business of making games is highly competetive and brutal, not disney movie or romantic comedy where there is no logic and ppl can be in their feelings all the time- real world doesnt work like that:messenger_sunglasses:

True, that's why capitalism loves trends like inclusion, because inclusion means a more diverse groups of people interested in your product, which means expending your customer base, which means more revenue.

Capitalism doesn't give a shit about gender or ethnicity, and it definitely doesn't give a shit about agendas. They care about growth.

Edit: love the 'lols'. It kinda reveals the partisan hacks that don't understand basic econ, or are severely disconnected.

Last edited:

PeteBull

True, I just kinda wish it wasn't constantly so extreme. Ultra progressives (Era) or ultra conservatards (a lot on Gaf). Where are the moderate liberals at?
The difference is- here all kinds of opinions can be voiced, when u live in clown world long enough u forget majority of the world isnt woke, ppl on rainbow forum cant even voice opinion that is moderate coz they get banned for it- i saw them posting screens when defending cp2077, hogwarts legacy, wukong, here u got ppl praising concord even which proved to be terrible game(25k copies sold lool;p) and they can post fine to this very day.
TLDR: True diversity is diversity of opinions.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
stock is around 11 Euros last time I checked. At most they'd get 15.

Edit. The buyout rumour popped the stock over 3 buck. Now at 14! Good job for anyone who bottom fished it at 9-10 the past few weeks.

Last edited:
Hope the deal falls through and Ubisoft is forced to go private
Ubisoft execs are experts at going after "privates"

There will be bidding and EU will likely not allow them to sell to Tencent without a legal fight.
Bidding against whom? Ubisoft is a very toxic and not profitable asset. Plus a lot of its offices are located in places where it is quite difficult to lay off people. For american companies at least - even for smaller ones like EA - Ubisoft is not really an attractive proposition.

Last edited:

EN250

What would be worse?, a western mega-corp like MS that comes with certain agenda pushing topics a la carte or a CCP approved and mandated mega-corp that will push whatever Xi says he wants at any time of day... 🤐

$1.958 Billion USD market cap, at close today.

We're looking at somewhere around the $8 Billion USD mark, should this go through.

What would be worse?, a western mega-corp like MS that comes with certain agenda pushing topics a la carte or a CCP approved and mandated mega-corp that will push whatever Xi says he wants at any time of day... 🤐

MS are blocked from acquiring Ubisoft till the next decade due to the Activision deal going through, and they are mandated by the FTC to put all their upcoming Activision games on Ubisoft's cloud gaming service.

From the frying pan and into the fire.
Couldn't they find a worse company than Tencent? Were the Devil or Cthulhu too busy?
lol they shopped around for a bit and were laughed by everyone that was just a fraction better than tencent. Honestly for the sake of the ip's it would've been better if they filed for bankruptcy form a consumer standpoint

EN250

$1.958 Billion USD market cap, at close today.

We're looking at somewhere around the $8 Billion USD mark, should this go through.

MS are blocked from acquiring Ubisoft till the next decade due to the Activision deal going through, and they are mandated by the FTC to put all their upcoming Activision games on Ubisoft's cloud gaming service.
Oh, yeah I know, I meant a mega-corp from the west being capable of buying Ubislop which leaves only a bunch, forgot MS in itself can't really be compared to anything since it's in its own league being so gigantic

thefool

Ubisoft either sells when it still holds any value or it will slowly disappear.
This is all on them, they are the ones who killed their own company.

yogaflame

The only negative is it's China owned. It's not the Chinese people that I don't like but the China communist government. But the silver lining is Ubisoft will be freed from twisted woke agenda.

Last edited:

ValiantInstance

Neo Member
If Microsoft bought them they would do jack shit to turn the company around. They've been completely hands off with Bethesda and Activision and just let them continue releasing subpar slop.

Xyphie

Do companies not usually go for multiple times their market cap?

Not really. A typical acquisition premium is ~30% or so. Tech maybe a bit higher than that. Activision was 45% or so but that wasn't a distressed asset like Ubisoft is.

Last edited:

yogaflame

Chinese company propaganda tool for china.

Western company propaganda tool for LGBTQ++++++++.

Either way we're fucked.
I never like Chinese government and communisms but in fairness we did not see any force or push for communist agenda in Wukong. That is good thing about Asian developers. Wukong of China and Stellar blade of South Korea are very good games. Unlike in western games most of there games, there is always push and force narrative of twisted woke agenda especially gender ideology.

Last edited:
Chinese company propaganda tool for china.

Western company propaganda tool for LGBTQ++++++++.

Either way we're fucked.

China already owns a good deal of Hollywood (Legendary Pictures is theirs) and their propaganda is more subtle than anything made in the West, not even a competition.

Actually, Chinese devs like Mihoyo circumvent the official production guidelines, which doesn't happen in our "free" democratic countries.

Saudi Arabia has invested in Nintendo, too. At least they are not actively trying to destroy it, as Western investors are.

Top Bottom