• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tencent is looking to buy Ubisoft

yurinka

So Bloomberg could just have made up this entire thing as far as we know...
Last time Tencent bought Ubi stocks they signed a deal where the Guillemots wouldn't sell the company in a certain amount of years, and that Tencent wouldn't buy more Ubi stocks in a different amount of years.

Can't remember the exact amount, but I think they were 8 and 5 years.

Pretty likely the Bloomberg report is just fake news to affect the stock market in favor on who pays them. Like in the usual hit pieces they make about Sony with lies and FUD.

I was just thinking the other day how it's kinda weird how the big 3rd party dev/pubs have all kinda shriveled up in their own weird ways.

In the mid 00's EA, Ubi and ATVI were giants. Making all kinda of games across many genres.

Now EA makes Sims & Sports games, Ubi makes the same game w/ different skins, and ATVI makes call of duty.

CoD is still a powerhouse but the other 2 are really a shadow of their former selves considering how much clout and marketshare they _used_ to have
Now that ATVI isn't a 3rd party anymore, EA is back to be the top grossing 3rd party publisher. Ubisoft continues being the top grossing European publisher.

All three make way more money than they did back in the 00s. Case of Ubisoft and EA:
image.png

image.png

You not liking their recent games doesn't mean their company doesn't perform well.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I've just had a look at their games on their site and i don't share your optimism, there is a lot of Mobile and online games there and nothing that would tell me or suggest they could make a really good Assassin's Creed or Far Cry, i guess time will tell.

I guess you don't see the big picture that Tencent really is. They own Epic Games, Riot (League of Legends) and even has a small share of Ubisoft, so if they adquire the major seat, things can grow, but if will be better is another talk

Laptop1991

I guess you don't see the big picture that Tencent really is. They own Epic Games, Riot (League of Legends) and even has a small share of Ubisoft, so if they adquire the major seat, things can grow, but if will be better is another talk
I don't see many single player games they make from their resume like AC or Far Cry or massive big games either, your entitled to your opinion as am i, maybe your the one that's biased instead, there is no proof that Tencent will make Ubisoft's catalogue of games a success, they are heavy into MTX, that hasn't worked for Ubisoft and they know how to make their own games or use too at least, you work for Tencent or have shares or something, like i said they would need to make the games and release them to acclaim first, that's stays my opinion.

Last edited:
Next move of Tencent after buyout ubisoft? Own console. That would be interesting.

Too late to compete at this point

People built their digital libraries during the PS4 generation and became attached to the brand. Sony are increasingly pushing PlayStation in China too to ensure no one else gets a start there.

Microsoft were never able to claw it back, in fact things got worse in terms of marketshare. I doubt a new incumbent could do any better.

They don’t have the platform or ability to mass produce and service hardware like Apple either, and they won’t bother because Apple’s fan base has been conditioned to not paying for games upfront.

It’s Sony and Nintendo from here on out I think.

Last edited:

old-parts

Tencent owning Ubisoft would be a good thing, in that it might install some corporate discipline and reign in the excess of Ubisoft.

Tencent have no interest in competing with western game platforms internationally, inside China they have their own game store alternatives but the Chinese games market is very different with mobile being a colossal 1st place than the PC in 2nd place and consoles a very distant 3rd place. Consoles where banned in China (or very difficult to acquire) for part of its history, that is no longer the case but consoles don't have much traction in China.

Mobile and PC are the main markets internally in China and Ubisoft can service those with western console/PC markets.

I don't see many single player games they make from their resume like AC or Far Cry or massive big games either, your entitled to your opinion as am i, maybe your the one that's biased instead, there is no proof that Tencent will make Ubisoft's catalogue of games a success, they are heavy into MTX, that hasn't worked for Ubisoft and they know how to make their own games or use too at least, you work for Tencent or have shares or something, like i said they would need to make the games and release them to acclaim first, that's stays my opinion.
Btk9odj.jpeg

Laptop1991

If it was just about money then, Ubisoft wouldn't have wasted well over a billion on failures combined like Skull and Bones, Star Wars Outlaws and AC Shadows when it finally comes out, and be in the dire position they are now, and look who is top, Microsoft who still haven't delivered the AAA games every 3 months like they promised, MS makes their money from software like Windows and Office not games, Too many games are failing that have had millions pumped into them,

Having billions to spend doesn't mean the games are automatically a success and can make any type of game they want and i was referencing the games Tencent actually made themselves, which are mostly mobile and online ones with mtx all over the place, yeah they could pay some other company to make Ubisoft type games but i don't think they can do it themselves, who would they pay to make Assassin's Creed, UBISOFT!!.

Last edited:

Mercador

Not sure it deserves its own thread but I found out this one quite funny
Ubisoft's continuous downward spiral is seemingly only gaining speed, with the latest speed boost coming from the company Monetization Director for Ubisoft, who took to LinkedIn to call gamers critiquing the company and its products "non-decent human".

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/1008...-been-exposed-as-non-decent-humans/index.html

mitch1971

Gold Member
Last edited:

PeteBull

Not sure it deserves its own thread but I found out this one quite funny
Lol intresting game dev job- monetisation director, his profession has even evil sound to it like from early james bond movies, and such a creature has audacity to call gamers non decent humans :messenger_tears_of_joy:

xrnzaaas

Lol intresting game dev job- monetisation director, his profession has even evil sound to it like from early james bond movies, and such a creature has audacity to call gamers non decent humans :messenger_tears_of_joy:
What's even funnier is that he doesn't get his job. In order to sell lots of cosmetics for the playable characters they generally have to be attractive.

Top Bottom