• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

MIMIC

Banned
Federer has quite the temper in this match. :lol You rarely see him angry. Probably because if Murray wins today, he will have beaten Federer 4 times in a row (including the exhibition that technically doesn't count).

BTW, if anyone needs a link, I'm using http://channelsurfing.net/ (Doha)

EDIT: Murray takes the 2nd set 6-2.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Could be trouble for Murray here - he's called for the trainer, and he's back in his chair with the facial expression of a man with severe constipation. After a poke and prod he's ordered to lie on his back - the trainer pushes his knees up into his chest before tapping him on the shoulder and pushing him back into the arena.

Doesn't stop him breaking Federer again, though... 3-1 to Murray in the deciding set.

Sharp

Peru said:
Get back there, Fed-man. Get some groove for the new year.
There's no shame in losing to a player like Murray. Frankly I'd be surprised if he didn't win the Australian Open this year, Nadal is weaksauce on hard courts, Djokovic is in a slump, Federer is getting older, and while there are definitely players outside the top four who have the tools to beat him (Tsonga, for example) most of them are too inconsistent to be likely to do much damage. Frankly I wouldn't put any money on Gulbis this year, he's a total headcase (beats Djokovic in the first round, then loses in the second to Paul-Henri Matthieu) and he always goes for big shots so when his game is off he just sprays errors everywhere. He's still young, so there's definitely room for improvement, but if he can't get his head on straight he could easily just turn into another Gasquet or Berdych. Honestly, I see more potential in Nishikori, who is also young but who has demonstrated mental toughness; once he bulks up a bit, gets his backhand under control, and adds a few mph to his serve he'll be a formidable player.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Sharp said:
There's no shame in losing to a player like Murray.

Especially given where Federer's wins over Murray have come in the past. I'm sure Murray would gladly trade his four wins for Federer's two. :D

Sharp

iapetus said:
And it's done. Murray gets another break to make it 6-7 6-2 6-2.
Have UK newspapers have stopped calling him Scottish when he loses yet, or are they still holding back until he reaches number one?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Sharp said:
Have UK newspapers have stopped calling him Scottish when he loses yet, or are they still holding back until he reaches number one?

They're still up to the old tricks. Don't forget their love of portraying him as some sort of anti-England zealot. Short of changing his name to Tim and moving to Surrey I don't think they're going to warm to him that much...

Sharp

iapetus said:
They're still up to the old tricks. Don't forget their love of portraying him as some sort of anti-England zealot. Short of changing his name to Tim and moving to Surrey I don't think they're going to warm to him that much...
It's a shame, really. After seventy years of being forced to write about mediocre players like Henman, you'd think when the country finally produced a truly great one like Murray, the UK press would be leaping at the opportunity to drown him in liquid praise. Then again, based on everything I read from the UK I get the sense that you guys take a perverse delight in athletic mediocrity and are uneasy if things seem to be going too well.

Timbuktu

Couldn't watch this, did Federer have an off day? Although I can't be surprised Murray won again, I didn't think Fed would lose 6-2

clemenx

Banned
I for one welcome our new Scottish overlord. :lol

I wish he waited a year to start his dominance, I really want to see Fed break Sampras record as soon as possible but Murray is so good.

Can't wait for AO!

MIMIC

Banned
Timbuktu said:
Couldn't watch this, did Federer have an off day? Although I can't be surprised Murray won again, I didn't think Fed would lose 6-2

37 winners/37 UEs. He lost his focus after failing to convert 3 straight break points in the 2nd set. He lost his shit, Murray sensed it and never let up.

Leonsito

Murray is looking very strong for this season, don't know what to say about Federer, seems like this is just the same as the last months, great matches mixed with very stupid UE.

Nadal and Djokovic didn't get a good start this year, and I feel sorry about Davydenko.

AO is going to be fun I hope, but I fear Murray will destroy everyone easy.

Koshiro

clemenx said:
I for one welcome our new Scottish overlord. :lol
I am so happy to see this day (year) come at last. I hope Murray can assert himself in every major this year, because we all know he can. Legend in the making - the press can go screw themselves to be honest.

MIMIC

Banned
Djokovic will be the new world No. 2 if he wins his next match again Nieminem tomorrow. Fed will drop to No. 3

Hootie

Whoa, the AO starts on Monday? Nice. Last years AO thread here on GAF is what turned me into a veritable tennis fan. :D

maladroid

Hootie said:
Whoa, the AO starts on Monday? Nice. Last years AO thread here on GAF is what turned me into a veritable tennis fan. :D
Yep, the draw should be announced sometime today (in about four or five hours?).

Also, I was watching the news this morning and they were reporting on some tennis match. They couldn't air the video, so they only played the audio. It's the most disturbing thing I've ever heard.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Well, it's under way. Nadal demolished his first round opponent 6-0, 6-2, 6-2. Murray whupped his first round opponent so badly that half way through the second set he retired from professional tennis (6-2, 3-1).

Steroyd

Wow! Federer RAPED his opponent Del Porto 3-6 0-6 0-6. :O

Never would have thunk it given that he was against the wall in his previous match.

Peru

Sharapova says she hopes to return at Indian Wells in March. I desperately hope it's true. We need you, Maria, we need you.

wimble.png

Oh, and two finals today. Murray - Nadal in Rotterdam, and Dementieva - Mauresmo in paris. Both could be really good.

Has anyone tried out tennistv.com, yet? Is it good? Is it finally the solution some of us have been waiting for, where we can get a web channel for tennis instead of trying to pick and pay for TV channels which don't give us what we want?

edit: " Paris are NOT available to view in any European territory"

Guess not. Region restrictions based on rights (Eurosport, no doubt). Fuck you, then.

Eeikod

Why the hell would Nadal play this? You're human, dont try to win everything and get some rest, specially with that knee of yours dummy. Still, Im amazed at how well he did at some points without being able to run properly.

Peru

Mauresmo - Dementieva is pretty good, but none of them are great finishers. Long, intense exchanges, but none of them can consistently find that aggressive angle to finish it off.

Peru

Mauresmo looked really pleased and emotional.. Hasn't won a title since summer 07 if I'm counting correctly.

Back to Sharapova, I'm going to literally cry a river if she ends up injured again after the comeback.

Did you guys see her whole run to the Australian Open 08 title? The most INSANe series of wins ever, and it told of the greatest female player in the world:

1r: def Tosic 6-4, 6-3
2r: def Davenport 6-1, 6-3
3r: def Vesnina 6-3, 6-0
4r: def Dementieva 6-2, 6-0
QF: def Henin 6-4, 6-0
SF: def Jankovic 6-3. 6-1
F: def Ivanovic 7-5. 6-3

Love set against Henin?? She had become the dominant queen of tennis, a relentless star player, at this point in time. And then the injury. I pray to the tennis gods that she returns in form.

Peru

channelsurfing.net if you want to watch the Dubai ch'ship now. Interesting match coming up, Gasquet against Marat 'mad hat' Safin.

Peru

In my continued monologue with myself...

Sharapova is OUT of Indian Wells. I might as well kill myself right here and now.

Ashhong

Peru said:
In my continued monologue with myself...

Sharapova is OUT of Indian Wells. I might as well kill myself right here and now.

when the fuck is she coming back??? hope for french open?

Peru

Tennis is the greatest sport in the world. Tennis is life.

INDIAN WELLS BNP PARIPAS OPEN
Bnpparibasopen.jpg

indianwellstennisgarden.jpg

'The great masters cup'

...the best attended tennis tournament outside the four Grand Slam tournaments, with over 300,000 visitors during the event. It has the second largest tennis stadium in the world.

ALL the great players are here except the Williams sisters for that controversy some years back.

Sony Ericsson WTA Draw
March 9-10 - Qualifying (Free Admission)
March 11-22 - Main Draw

ATP Masters Series Draw
March 10-11 - Men's Qualifying
March 12-22 - Men's Main Draw*

ATP Men's draw: http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/1/posting/2009/404/mds.pdf

WTA Women's draw:
http://www.bnpparibasopen.org/4/assets/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/4/assets/pdfs/draws/09WTA_MDS3.pdf

The women are well underway. Vaidisova actually won a match.

MIMIC

Banned
Some good matchups will be played at Indian Wells over the next few days.

QF: Djokovic vs. Roddick (tonight, 6pm EST) - rematch of the Aussie Open QF, where Novak retired because of the heat. They're gonna be playing in the hottest part of the day today but no where near as hot as it was in Melbourne.

QF: Nadal vs. Del Potro (tonight, after Roddick & Djokovic) - Nadal will obliterate Del Potro. Period.

SF: Federer vs. Murray (tomorrow) - Murray leads Federer 5-2 and Federer has only once beaten Murray outside of a Slam, so Federer's gonna have his work cut out for him. Really tough to say who will win, given their inconsistent forms lately.

Peru

FEDERER vs MURRAY right now. Can Federer strike back? Nice online stream available.

Seeing Djoko fall quite so hard was a surprise.

MIMIC

Banned
Murray def Federer 6-3, 4-6, 6-1

This is Murray's 4th consecutive win over Federer (5th if you count the exhibition earlier in the year)

Top Bottom