• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Bigfoot

zero_suit said:
It's a legitimate argument. Did Sampras have any rivals that owned him or at least had a winning record against him?

In majors, Federer is 2-5 against Nadal, 7-13 overall.

Sure, Federer has the numbers, but can you really say he's the GOAT when he basically has no answers for Nadal?

Not really a legitimate arguement... most people agree that Nadal is clay GOAT and if you take out the clay meetings, Fed is 5-4 against Nadal and 2-2 in majors.

Also, Sampras would always lose to nobodies in clay tournaments (and non-clay ones too), so he never got the chance to lose to great clay players multiple times. If Fed lost in the early rounds of clay tournaments like Sampras, he would have never got the chance to meet Nadal in finals and the head to head would be closer. Also, Nadal is 5 years younger than Fed. What if Agassi was the same age as Sampras... how would things have turned out?

Porthos said:
Not really a legitimate arguement... most people agree that Nadal is clay GOAT and if you take out the clay meetings, Fed is 5-4 against Nadal and 2-2 in majors.

Also, Sampras would always lose to nobodies in clay tournaments (and non-clay ones too), so he never got the chance to lose to great clay players multiple times. If Fed lost in the early rounds of clay tournaments like Sampras, he would have never got the chance to meet Nadal in finals and the head to head would be closer. Also, Nadal is 5 years younger than Fed. What if Agassi was the same age as Sampras... how would things have turned out?

Fed is no slouch on clay though. He's been to 4 consecutive RG finals.

Bigfoot

mario ate my burger said:
Fed is no slouch on clay though. He's been to 4 consecutive RG finals.

Exactly, but somehow people seem to say his legacy would be better if he sucked on clay and never got to meet Nadal in those finals. Using his h2h against Nadal as a way to put Sampras above Federer is just stupid.

Peru

Venus looked in the form of her life for two matches, and then.. well.

Sharapova vs Azarenka, a dream duel, in the 2nd round of Los Angeles tomorrow, but it's too early for television coverage to have started. Shit cock arse.

Peru

It was a three-setter as I hoped, and Sharapova won. Mightily impressive, and she could take this title.

Sharapova whipped forehands that skimmed over the net at a stinging pace, and Azarenka smacked them back with just as much speed. Again and again, they battled through prolonged rallies with neither capable of overwhelming the other.

"Come on," Sharapova bellowed after ripping winners past Azarenka.

"Come on," Azarenka screamed after ripping winners past Sharapova.

A crowd that numbered in the hundreds during the afternoon session, swelled to several thousand for the evening match. The fans had plenty to cheer right from the start as Sharapova and Azarenka played the most compelling match of the tournament so far.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
IIRC Wasn't federer the last person to beat Nadal on clay before he went on that 81 match clay winning streak, as well asthe one who ended the streak?

I think Nadal beat Federer once on clay during the streak

gumshoe

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
IIRC Wasn't federer the last person to beat Nadal on clay before he went on that 81 match clay winning streak, as well asthe one who ended the streak?

I think Nadal beat Federer once on clay during the streak

Federer beat Nadal on clay twice. Once this year at the Madrid Masters final, and he ended his 33 matches winning streak on clay. And the other win was in 2007 Hamburg final where he snapped Nadal's 81 matches streak on clay. By winning those two matches, Federer has prevented Nadal from winning all clay masters events in the same year.

As for you point about Nadal beating Federe only once during that streak, I don't think it is true. Nadal has beaten Federer in a lot of clay finals (especially the FO)

It is quite fitting how they both ended each other's streaks on their favorite surfaces.

Peru

LOVELY to watch Pennetta - Stosur in the LA final. These are two girls who can outhit a bullet, but still have other very prominent qualities (Pennetta - a tactician, Stosur - serve&volley and a devilish backhand slice). Hoping against hope for a third set.

MIMIC

Banned
Saw the Del Potro-Roddick final earlier today. Great win for Del Potro. He was absolute clutch in the tiebreak, basically acing all of his serves. He actually looked a little beaten by the heat but he still managed to break back (when Roddick was up 3-1) earlier in the set.

agrajag

Banned
MIMIC said:
Saw the Del Potro-Roddick final earlier today. Great win for Del Potro. He was absolute clutch in the tiebreak, basically acing all of his serves. He actually looked a little beaten by the heat but he still managed to break back (when Roddick was up 3-1) earlier in the set.

Yeah, saw that. He almost gave away the third set, but came back strong, good for him!

Peru

Kim Clijsters is playing right now...comeback... holycrackincribes. And she's up 3-0 over Marion Bartoli. Man alive!

gumshoe

Banned
Federer won his first match since becoming a father. He won in straight sets and played some awesome points towards the end of the first and second sets. Set point in first set was unreal!!

Nadal will play his first match today since losing to soderling at the FO!! He will play david ferrer

gumshoe said:
Federer won his first match since becoming a father. He won in straight sets and played some awesome points towards the end of the first and second sets. Set point in first set was unreal!!

Nadal will play his first match today since losing to soderling at the FO!! He will play david ferrer

Do you know what time he's playing?

MIMIC

Banned
WOW.

Tsonga def. Federer 7-6(5), 1-6, 7-6(3)

This was one of the craziest matches that I have EVER witnessed. :lol The first set was just incredible tennis. At set point up, Tsonga made a stick save volley and slammed to the ground on his right arm (which would later prove to be a pretty big injury) and Fed missed the passing shot. First set to Tsonga

In the 2nd set, the injury started to take its toll and Tsonga couldn't make a first serve to save his life. He took an injury timeout to tend to his arm. After a growing number of double faults and unforced errors, Tsonga tanked the last few games and Fed steamrolled. Time for Tsonga to regroup. Second set to Fed.

The third set....I didn't even see the whole thing. Everyone thought that Tsonga would come back to play better in the third but he dropped both of his serves and went down 0-4. The commentators were pretty sure that Fed had this thing wrapped up (as did I) and went on to analyze his potential next-round meeting with Murray. So, I changed the channel. I check the live scores to see the score and I saw that Fed was about to be BROKEN at 5-4. During the tiebreak, Tsonga came back with those amazing shots that won him the first tiebeak.

WTF HAPPENED WHILE I WASN'T WATCHING???? :lol COMEBACK OF THE YEAR

Some interesting stuff: Fed was up 5-1 in the first set || Tsonga blew all 3 match points when Fed was down 0-40 5-6 || Fed double faulted on match-point

Ashhong

lol u should probably change the players in your post MIMIC, i thought he was playing some unknown twin for a second

gumshoe

Banned
I can't believe he choked away this match :O

does Federer care about Master tournaments anymore?? :lol

He will still kick ass at the U.S Open, unless he is in baby-twin land.

gumshoe

Banned
Nadal lost the first set to Del Potro. I think if he loses this match and Murray wins the tournament Murray will overtake him as the number 2 player.

Roddick looked good today against Djoko

Good to see Clijsters back but she has a way to go. I think she may go a few rounds deep in the US open if she gets a fair draw.

Fuck the US Open series, lets go to New York already! lol

Fuuuuuck Nadal. No.

I cant believe Roddick won, thats awesome!!! I hope he takes this.

I also just played some of the best tennis today, I had a massive slump the last 1.5 years but today I was in top form. I was ripping the shots at full force, felt sooo good.

Lion Heart said:
Fuuuuuck Nadal. No.

I cant believe Roddick won, thats awesome!!! I hope he takes this.

I also just played some of the best tennis today, I had a massive slump the last 1.5 years but today I was in top form. I was ripping the shots at full force, felt sooo good.

you play adult level USTA tournaments? sectionals is coming up next month in most regions.

agrajag

Banned
I found a girl tennis partner on USTA.com, we're going to play tomorrow morning! She is a former college level player, maybe she'll whoop my ass.

agrajag said:
I found a girl tennis partner on USTA.com, we're going to play tomorrow morning! She is a former college level player, maybe she'll whoop my ass.

If she was D1 then probably she will. I could have played up to D2 mens tennis but a D1 woman could own me. All their hitting partners are men so the power advantage a man would normally have is erased.

agrajag

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
If she was D1 then probably she will. I could have played up to D2 mens tennis but a D1 woman could own me. All their hitting partners are men so the power advantage a man would normally have is erased.

Yeah, all her other partners are guys too... She didn't say what division she played in though, and she's probably rusty. I'm not too worried. She could be D3 for all I know.

Peru

Mental day of tennis yesterday, Nadal and Federer out, Clijsters finally stopped on her comeback cruise.

MIMIC said:
WOW.

Tsonga def. Federer 7-6(5), 1-6, 7-6(3)

COMEBACK OF THE YEAR
I think the same thing happened to Nadal against Del Potro in early April (down 1-5 in the third, DP rallied and ended up winning the tiebreak).

Koshiro

perfectchaos007 said:
Well now Murray beat Tsonga in straights. I really hope Roddick wins tonight so we can have an Andy Andy final. Rematch of the Wimbledon semis
Yes please. Murray now #2 in the world, which is frankly wrong.

perfectchaos007 said:
Well now Murray beat Tsonga in straights. I really hope Roddick wins tonight so we can have an Andy Andy final. Rematch of the Wimbledon semis

Yup. Only this time I'd hope the better player wins. Seriously though, as entertaining as Roddick's performance was at Wimbledon, I don't think he's the better player.

MIMIC

Banned
Federer, Nadal & Djokovic all lose on the same day and slamless Murray is the new #2.

What a sad day for tennis :lol

Roddick wins the first set. He's looking to be in control. I really want the Murray Roddick final. Looks like it's going to happen unless Roddick collapses here.

edit: and of course roddick gets broken after the first game.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Damn Roddick, you disappoint once again

And lol at the guy who yelled out "go habs go" right as they were about to serve :lol

Peru

This Jankovic - Dementieva semi has grown to epic proportions! Dementieva playing her best tennis in a LONG time, suddenly volley queent.

MIMIC

Banned
Yay! Roddick lost! :D To his credit, he wasn't playing that bad. Del Po certainly tamed that serve of his though.

agrajag said:
Yeah, all her other partners are guys too... She didn't say what division she played in though, and she's probably rusty. I'm not too worried. She could be D3 for all I know.

well how was it? did you find out what college she played for?

MIMIC

Banned
BlueMagic said:
I certainly can't wait for the US Open to see how Del Potro, Roddick, and Nadal perform.

Just my guess:

Quarter Finals: Federer, Roddick, Gonzalez, Murray, Del Potro, Davydenko, Djokovic, Nadal
Semi-Finals: Federer, Murray, Roddick, Del Potro
Finals: Federer & Murray/Del Potro

ETA: unconfirmed about the doubles. nm

John Dunbar

correct about everything
mario ate my burger said:
It is wrong.

Playing Fed in the semi's now of all tourneys (until he takes his #2 back) is just lame.

In tennis #3 can go on either side, so he might play Murray in Semis.

gumshoe

Banned
great final so far between Del Potro and the new world number 2 Murray.

first set goes to Del Potro 7-6(4)

He needed to win this set if he wants to win the tournament. He looks kind of tired.. hopefully he can keep up the good play and win it in straight sets.

Koshiro

gumshoe said:
great final so far between Del Potro and the new world number 2 Murray.

first set goes to Del Potro 7-6(4)

He needed to win this set if he wants to win the tournament. He looks kind of tired.. hopefully he can keep up the good play and win it in straight sets.
Any streams for this?

Top Bottom