• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

MIMIC

Banned
I feel kinda bad for Nadal. He looked so disappointed in himself when he was playing against Djokovic. I wonder if/when he can get back to form...which is kinda ironic because it's his form that got him injured in the first place.

Manics

Banned
MIMIC said:
You just a few months ago:

You're such a glory hunting moron. Why don't you just stop watching.

Nope, I'm a well-known jinx. Whenever I support someone or some team publicly they usually go down in flames. I had to publicly lash out at Federer to get him back on top and it worked.

You still can't admit that Federer is the GOAT. The stats I posted are insane.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Any guess on the seedings.
Could Nadal be 3 seed and face Federer in a potential semi OR will they put him 2 or 4 and hope for a final between the 2 players.

Even though its Nadal I can't see him being 2nd seed as he only made semi last year, losing to Murray.

Manics

Banned
navanman said:
Any guess on the seedings.
Could Nadal be 3 seed and face Federer in a potential semi OR will they put him 2 or 4 and hope for a final between the 2 players.

Even though its Nadal I can't see him being 2nd seed as he only made semi last year, losing to Murray.

Wouldn't be fair to give Nadal the 2nd seed given that he's currently #3 in the world. Sure Murray has never won a slam so his 2nd is a bit dubious, but he's consistently there at tournaments. Nadal's form has been crap since before the French and he doesn't deserve the 2nd seed.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Just as predicted above, the US open seedings are following current rankings.
Potential Federer vs Nadal semi-final with possible Federer vs Murray repeat of final from last year.

navanman said:
Just as predicted above, the US open seedings are following current rankings.
Potential Federer vs Nadal semi-final with possible Federer vs Murray repeat of final from last year.

Just hoping Nadal can even get to the semi's :(

Ovid

Anyone going to the U.S. Open next week? I got tickets last year and had a blast. I got to see Serena and Anna Ivanovic (babe) which was so fucking cool. I told myself that I would definitely go again this year. I got tickets a few months ago and I am now amped to see what players will be playing during my session.

hsin

Banned
tarius1210 said:
Anyone going to the U.S. Open next week? I got tickets last year and had a blast. I got to see Serena and Anna Ivanovic (babe) which was so fucking cool. I told myself that I would definitely go again this year. I got tickets a few months ago and I am now amped to see what players will be playing during my session.

I really wanted to go this year but I wasn't able to take the time off. One of these days, I hope. How much are tickets, out of curiousity?

gumshoe

Banned
Stepanek defeated Karlovic in a Davis Cup match. Nothing extraordinary, right?? wrong...

The final score was 6-7 (5), 7-6 (5), 7-6 (6), 6-7 (2), 16-14. Karlovic fired 78 aces and the match lasted for 6 hours. It was one game away from being the longest match in tennis (in terms of games) since tie breaks were introduced. There were only three breaks of serve in the entire match.

Jay Sosa

Favre sure is a trendsetter..

It's good for the sport I guess. Never liked her, but can't deny that she was a great player.

Peru

Sharapova back like a ton of fucking bricks on Stosur in Tokyo, 6-0 -6-1

ONE double fault!
74% first serves!
20-7 winners/unforced errors!

Peru

Yea..

_46487969_maria226x170getty.jpg

Up to 15 in the rankings.

gumshoe

Banned
What do you guys think of the Wozniacki controversy??

She retired from a first round match when she was up 7-5 5-0 against Kremer. The betting sites show that betters were choosing Kremer to win the match when she was losing 5-7 0-3. The reason for the sudden change in the betting is because Wozniacki's dad (her coach) was giving her instructions on what to do and to retire at 5-0.

This is a video of the coaching at 3-0 and a rough translation of what he dad said:

(...) you cannot just serve and not doing any... (...) But listen, you don't need to jump, but can play to this side, but not doing like this! That's my first point, secondly, underhand, play with the spin, just as I was telling you from the beginning, higher and so on.

(covering his mouth) When it hits 5-0, get it? When you're winning 5-0 or something, you'll come up to (her), because there's no point, you won't play another match here. So let her have it. You can't do anything about it. Try to play for it, see what's up, if you stop again when you're so close, let her come up and ask 'what's up?', say 'I can't even walk'. But for now, fight, play, hold it, use the spin... (cut away)
(13 h/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjDdyjgtC6A

I think the part where he covers his mouth shows that they probably didn't want to fix the match (He didn't want the mics to pick up what he says, because people are watching the match and can switch their bets to Kramer), but it does look a bit suspicious to people...

I think he told her to wait until 5-0/4-1 before retiring because he wants her to see the extent of her injury, but I am not going to deny that the whole incident does look a bit suspicious. But the dad is dumb for making these comments when he knows that the mic is going to pick it up. And what does he mean by "Just as I was telling you from the beginning"? Did he already come to her before during the match, or is he talking about something he told her before the match had started?

Jay Sosa

Well odds always change dramatically if a player seems hurt (with emphasis on seems) I saw matches were a gal took a medical and all off sudden the odds completely changed (even though most of the times they take it just to piss off their opponent) despite her showing no signs of a really injury..

If someone realized that she was gonna retire of course the odds will fall, cause betfair is just like the stock market. Most of the people just follow others without knowing why...

If he really just told her that so that Kremer can continue playing in that tournament cause he knew Wozzy will retire before the next match then thats a really nice move on his/her part.

That would all be no problem if betfair would handle retirements like any other betting company and void all bets on win after a w.o.(so everyone who bet on win gets his money back) But they get a lot of revenue in matches like that so I doubt they'll eve change that.

BTW: I was hoping on a matchup between those two ladies:

tennis_mag_ad040408.jpg

vs.:

maria-kirilenko-dubai08photo.jpg

And then she eliminates Maria:

schiavone-w.jpg

(Still like her though, shes an awesome player)

Peru

The year end tournaments with the round robin style play are hugely entertaining. I'm almost having as much fun watching the WTA one in Doha as watching a Grand Slam. Something about top players going at eachother each day, from the get go.

Azarenka looking fierce so far.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm going to pretend that this is Wimbledon :lol

25jfcz9.jpg

2dv9542.jpg

Fed had home court advantage, too. The 3-time defending champion was playing in his home town.

Watching the delay on The Tennis Channel. I couldn't help myself after the 2nd set and spoiled myself.

MIMIC

Banned
Paris R2: Benneteau def. [1]Federer 3-6, 7-6(4), 6-4

WOW :lol Benneteau was playing out of his fucking mind, though.

Peru

Wow, crazy.
The Aussie Open will be so frikkin exciting on both tours... Anything can happen to anyone!

MIMIC

Banned
Stats

Federer | Benneteau

Aces: 16 | 6
Double Faults: 0 | 2
1st Serve in %: 73 | 78
1st Serve pts won: 81 | 79
2nd Serve pts won: 50 | 60
Winners: 41 | 28
Unforced Errors: 26 | 19
Net Points won: 19/28 | 16/22
Break Points won: 1/7 | 1/7

Match Time: 1:54

Peru

The ATP finals are on in London. Murray beat del Potro (when will he step up again?) and Federer is now down one set to Verdasco. Do I think Federer will win this tournament? No. Nadal? No. The others will duke it out.

MIMIC

Banned
Federer....who is playing like absolute shit right now. Nando has never beaten Federer. He's never even taken a set off of Federer....

....until today. 6-4, Verdasco. If Nando can't win (a.k.a. can't capitalize off of an out-of-form Federer), that'll really speak to how mentally fragile he is--and always has been--against the big guys.

gumshoe

Banned
Canadian Psycho said:
Second set Federer (7-5).

He must be playing a bit better right about now, no? (CAn't see the match right now.)

yeah, much better tennis from Federer and he is cruising on serve now. He is up 5-0 in the third set.

Federer vs. Murray will be epic because I think it will decide the winner of this group. Their match last year at this tournament was amazing!!

Manics

Banned
MIMIC said:
Federer....who is playing like absolute shit right now. Nando has never beaten Federer. He's never even taken a set off of Federer....

....until today. 6-4, Verdasco. If Nando can't win (a.k.a. can't capitalize off of an out-of-form Federer), that'll really speak to how mentally fragile he is--and always has been--against the big guys.
I love how the only time you post is when Federer loses or is in danger of losing. You don't even come back to "update" the match that you were apparently so closely following when Verdasco was leading. Federer wins and you disappear. :lol :lol :lol

hsin

Banned
Manics said:
I love how the only time you post is when Federer loses or is in danger of losing. You don't even come back to "update" the match that you were apparently so closely following when Verdasco was leading. Federer wins and you disappear. :lol :lol :lol
I know right?

No shit!

Funny thing is Nadal has been going on a steady six month streak of failures and barely no analysts are claiming the end of Nadal the way they did of Fed a year or so before. Maybe they learned their lesson?

MIMIC

Banned
Fed's up 5-2 in the 2nd. Looks like he's snagged himself some confidence. He was blasting Murray off of the court in that game. In the 1st set, he looked panicked.

Top Bottom