• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Haha. Sharapova took a picture of a guy reading a Sharapova article on the plane. Poor oblivious dude

ByW_5v6CAAA8D-s.jpg

Maria Sharapova ✔ @MariaSharapova
Follow
Hey buddy, I'm right behind you... :)
1:43 AM - 25 Sep 2014

I forgot how difficult it was to follow a yellow ball over a green surface on TV. Thank goodness the US Open and Australian Open have blue courts. I'm having to strain a bit watching Wuhan.

edit: Kvitova just overpowered Bouchard in that match. Bouchard didn't have an answer for Kvitova's pace

LuuKyK

In what way does Genie expect to return these powerful strokes from Kvitova standing inside the court? lol She was never going to make it for those very wide lefty serves. That was suicidal, just like at Wimbledon. But hey she won 4 more games, so I guess its progress. :p

Ricker

In what way does Genie expect to return these powerful strokes from Kvitova standing inside the court? lol She was never going to make it for those very wide lefty serves. That was suicidal, just like at Wimbledon. But hey she won 4 more games, so I guess its progress. :p

Yeah,she did play a little better I guess...they are showing the whole match this morning at 9 on TVASport 2 up here(unless they cancel showing it since she lost),I will watch a bit and see if she used the same positionning as the last time they played...Nice tourney week for her anyway,I think she probably will regain a few points and maybe be there for Singapore.

MIMIC

Banned
The worst kind of doubles partner? One that tells you what shots to hit mid-point. That shit is fucking annoying, distracting, and unnecessary.

Him: "Lob"
Me: "No"
*we lose the point*
Him: "Why didn't you lob?"

I don't fucking hit lobs unless I absolutely have to. If you're not in a defensive position, lobs do nothing but unnecessarily reset the point.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Nobody likes this guy (he gets all pissy when you miss a shot and frequently disputes line calls). I only play with him because....hey, it's just a game, right?

The worst kind of doubles partner? One that tells you what shots to hit mid-point. That shit is fucking annoying, distracting, and unnecessary.

*we lose the point*

I don't fucking hit lobs unless I absolutely have to. If you're not in a defensive position, lobs do nothing but unnecessarily reset the point.

Nobody likes this guy (he gets all pissy when you miss a shot and frequently disputes line calls). I only play with him because....hey, it's just a game, right?

It's good to communicate with your partner. Call switch when necessary, yell out to let your opponent know to let the ball go etc.

However, its best to discuss shot selection before the point begins, not during the point and definitely not for every shot in the point lol

yogloo

*we lose the point*

Well if you had listened, you would have gotten the point.
I side with your partner.

Dispatch

I'm glad you posted the URL because I would have clicked on it otherwise. I'm in the #freesimmons camp.

And, MIMIC, after seeing your serving video, you seem like a good player, but I don't understand why you would limit yourself. You say you don't use slice, and now you don't often use lobs. Both are highly useful shots.

As for doubles players "calling shots", that's a serious no-no. You could talk strategy between points, but not during points. It's distracting to your partner, and clues your opponents in on what you're trying to do.

MIMIC

Banned
It's good to communicate with your partner. Call switch when necessary, yell out to let your opponent know to let the ball go etc.

However, its best to discuss shot selection before the point begins, not during the point and definitely not for every shot in the point lol

I don't think I'm gonna play with him anymore. He'll get visibly frustrated and irritated when you miss important shots (like 40*-30 points or break points). Because remember: HE NEVER, EVER MISSES! Only his inferior partners *roll eyes*

The other day, he went for a smash and hit it straight into the net, and guess what he did? He blamed the other side for TALKING while he was going for the smash! DAFUQ.

And when he hits a good shot, he'll start looking around for praise and whatnot. I once told him "good shot". He completely ignored me and started calling out to the people on the sidelines, going "didn't you all see that? How come nobody said anything?"

1. Because they hate you.
2. Because they hate you.

Now I've got to figure out a way to avoid playing with him. Most are pretty blunt about it, lol

I'm glad you posted the URL because I would have clicked on it otherwise. I'm in the #freesimmons camp.

And, MIMIC, after seeing your serving video, you seem like a good player, but I don't understand why you would limit yourself. You say you don't use slice, and now you don't often use lobs. Both are highly useful shots.

As for doubles players "calling shots", that's a serious no-no. You could talk strategy between points, but not during points. It's distracting to your partner, and clues your opponents in on what you're trying to do.

Oh no....I always use slice. ALWAYS :) It's one of my best shots (because of how much spin I produce). The slice is probably one of the most underrated shots in tennis, too.

(before, I used to exclusively hit BH slices....which was a habit I was trying to break)

As for my lobs, maybe I was exaggerating. I definitely use them, but it's not usually in my repertoire frequent shots. I use it mostly when I go for the drop shot/lob combo (in singles)

I surprised. I would have bet money that he wouldn't be back until the Golden Swing.

Dispatch

Oh no....I always use slice. ALWAYS :) It's one of my best shots (because of how much spin I produce). The slice is probably one of the most underrated shots in tennis, too.

(before, I used to exclusively hit BH slices....which was a habit I was trying to break)

As for my lobs, maybe I was exaggerating. I definitely use them, but it's not usually in my repertoire frequent shots. I use it mostly when I go for the drop shot/lob combo (in singles)

My bad, then. I must have been thinking of someone else.

As for your occasional doubles partner, good luck with that. He sounds like a bad sport.
I used to coach at the high school where I teach, and I used to always preach sportsmanship. We didn't win as much as I'd like, but we did win the sportsmanship award, as selected by our other division coaches, three years in a row. Your partner sounds like the type of players I would point to as a bad example.

MIMIC

Banned
My bad, then. I must have been thinking of someone else.

As for your occasional doubles partner, good luck with that. He sounds like a bad sport.
I used to coach at the high school where I teach, and I used to always preach sportsmanship. We didn't win as much as I'd like, but we did win the sportsmanship award, as selected by our other division coaches, three years in a row. Your partner sounds like the type of players I would point to as a bad example.

Oh hell yeah.

And also, Murray FINALLY won another title; the Shenzhen Open, beating Robredo in the final.

His last title? Wimbledon. lol (but he had some surgery, so.....)

Reyne

Oh hell yeah.

And also, Murray FINALLY won another title; the Shenzhen Open, beating Robredo in the final.

His last title? Wimbledon. lol (but he had some surgery, so.....)

And Robredo was up 6-2 in the second set tie-break and failed to convert 5 championship points. Doesn't get much rougher than that. I imagine the mental scars will be with him til the end of his days... all according to plan, eh, Murray?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, he played really well in the tiebreak, but outside of that the match was pretty poor. I wouldn't say Robredo deserved to win, because frankly if you can't take 1 of 5 match points including 4 in a row you probably don't, but he played better for the majority of the match. Still, a win is a win and Murray desperately needs the match confidence that comes from titles. It wouldn't be a bad idea at all for him to enter some more 250s and focus on just establishing a better mentality - he's always entered relatively few minor tournaments compared to the other top players as it is, he still has those two zero pointers from not playing enough minors as it is. He also badly needs the points - if he is still out of the top 8 by the AO, it becomes a lot more difficult to recover his ranking. He needs less than 100 points now to slip into no. 8, so hopefully he can crawl over the finish line to the wtf and pick up a few points, then use the off season to get back to form and ready to play Sydney 250.

MIMIC

Banned
So it turns out that I don't just naturally suck at volleys ^_^ Sure I can make volleys on approach shots, but otherwise....I fuck them up 90% of the time and make a good one 10% of the time.

On a whim, I decided to play with my new(er) racquet. I was volleying like a pro today. That 10% success-rate was more like 95% today; nothing got by me (MOSTLY nothing, lol). And it made me think: how am I able to make all of these volleys that I would typically fuck up?

The racquet I was playing with has a slightly larger frame, but what was most notable to me was that the grip was larger. And I'm always complaining about the racquet moving in my hands (and I do have somewhat large hands, I suppose) so maybe that was it. I'm gonna test my theory with my old racquet. I put three overgrips on it to simulate a larger grip.

Btw, Troicki won against Ferrer last week in Shenzhen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOKfawrRKVE

He is now back to #152. What er his chances to reach the top20 again?

I'd say his goal should be top 50, then go from there.

Anyone want a Ryan Harrison update? no? Well here it is anyway.

For the second consecutive week, Ryan has lost in the first round of a challenger. last week to a 17 year old, and this week to a 16 year old. At this point, I have no doubt Harrison would lose to a 15 year old version of himself. Remember when at age 15 Ryan Harrison became the first 15 year old to win an ATP match since Rafa Nadal? Yep, and now look how far he's regressed. I don't think Ryan takes tennis seriously anymore, because he's too occupied partying with hot UT co-eds in Austin.

For the second consecutive week, Ryan has lost in the first round of a challenger. last week to a 17 year old, and this week to a 16 year old. At this point, I have no doubt Harrison would lose to a 15 year old version of himself. Remember when at age 15 Ryan Harrison became the first 15 year old to win an ATP match since Rafa Nadal? Yep, and now look how far he's regressed. I don't think Ryan takes tennis seriously anymore, because he's too occupied partying with hot UT co-eds in Austin.
Those are just rumors brah. Following the Andy Roddick tennis strategy was his downfall. His father was extremely arrogant as well, firing coaches left and right.

Man Tomic has the worst two handed backhand in terms of ability and strategic use. He is Australia's Harrison.

MIMIC

Banned

So sad. I thought he had a lot of potential.

Also, some notable Toyko/Beijing R1 matches:

Ito def. Wawrinka 7-5, 6-2 (lol)
Nadal def. Gasquet 6-4, 6-0 (he's back...I suppose)
Przysiezny def. Tsonga 4-6 7-5 7-6(9) (who?)
Djokovic def. Garcia-Lopez 6-2, 6-1

And Murray just beat Janowicz 6-7(9), 6-4, 6-2. I caught the last set.

So I see the Roiding Bull is back in fine form following another long and mysterious "injury" break. Does any serious tennis fan think he isn't a PED addict? I'm also quite surprised tennis commentators are still able to look impress whenever he wins something - they are either really naive or really dumb (or amazingly great at pretending). It's so obvious the guy is a fraud and has been for several years now. It's sickening.

P.S. For those who don't know, he faked the newest injury so he could roid up for the World Tour Finals in November, the only important title he hasn't fraudulently won.

So I see the Roiding Bull is back in fine form following another long and mysterious "injury" break. Does any serious tennis fan think he isn't a PED addict? I'm also quite surprised tennis commentators are still able to look impress whenever he wins something - they are either really naive or really dumb (or amazingly great at pretending). It's so obvious the guy is a fraud and has been for several years now. It's sickening.

P.S. For those who don't know, he faked the newest injury so he could roid up for the World Tour Finals in November, the only important title he hasn't fraudulently won.

I mean, I'm all for calling out cheaters when they have been caught, but I think if he was cheating the ATP would have no choice to bust him. If Nadal was roiding and the ATP was turning the other way they are risking the credibility of the entire sport down the line if he gets busted 6-10 years down the road like Lance Armstrong did in cycling. In other words, if Nadal was roiding, I don't think the ATP would be sweeping it under the rug.

So if Nadal was roiding, he would have to be doing it all under the ATP's radar, and he also must be somehow passing all of his random drug tests that the ATP administers. Again, he may be able to get away with it now, but down the road his legacy could all be wiped out if a doping method ahead of the drug test curve was being used to "pass" his drug tests like Lance Armstrong.

I can't say for sure if he's doping or not, but at this time I'm not worried about it because if he is taking steroids, he'll surely be caught down the road even if its after retirement.

I don't know if you've been following the patterns, but this has been going on for years. I see it not unlike what MLB was going through back in 1998: it kind of knew something was going on, but raking in the cash was too important for the powers that be to address the issue at the time. Also, the ITF/ATP doesn't really want to catch the cheats; its testing protocols are a laughingstock.

This Nadal thing is one of the most obvious high level cheating scandals going on right now, and it's basically in plain sight for everyone to see. (Ferrer has also been roiding for years; it's almost has obvious as the Roiding Bull; only Serena Williams is on the level of Nadal as far as current PED addicts go.)

For fun, here are several revealing quotes from the last 15 years or so on the matter of doping in tennis (reading between the lines, you have a better idea of the players', err, "character"):

Guy Forget: "I don't feel our sport is clean. I am sure now as we speak there are some guys that are cheating. You cannot say tennis is not touched by this poisonous thing."

Mike Bryan: "You get blood tested at the slams, usually after you lose, but I've never been blood tested out of competition."

Todd Martin: "There are people out there who don't have the ethics that are necessary for there to be a level playing field, and as long as there are, we're going to have those who are trying to get a leg up."

James Blake: "In tennis, I think, I'm sure there are guys who are doing it, getting away with it and getting ahead of the testers."

John McEnroe: "You can tell when someone has been on steroids... A guy bulks up, has a new body and never gets tired...You see these guys or girls who come onto the tour talking about their new training programs and their diets where they eat this or that new thing...but they'll never tell you about the drugs they took."

Jim Courier: "I'm much more inclined to have a concern for something that we cannot test for under the current system of testing, which is blood doping..."

Mardy Fish: "This is my 11th year. I've seen a few guys come and go who have cheated..."

Daniel Nestor: "We suspect that there's always stuff going on. I mean, we watch some of these matches, the guys play five hours and come back the next day and do it again."

Mahesh Bhupathi: "The tennis players themselves have brought it (anti-doping rules) upon themselves. A lot of players have been cheating."

Jim Courier: "EPO is the problem, I have pretty strong suspicions that guys are using it on the tour. I see guys who are out there week in and week out without taking rests. EPO can help you when it's the fifth set and you've been playing for four-and-a-half hours."

Christophe Rochus: "There's a lot of cheating. Simply, people don't like to talk about it...I simply would like to stop the pretending. This hypocrisy is exasperating."

Fabrice Santoro: "I can't believe there is a real will to fight against doping...I don't know whether the testing is done to catch the guys or just for show. Sometimes, I ask myself the question, when I see what goes on."

Nicolas Escudé: "They tell me there are files that can't be opened. What can they be, if not files on doping? If these files exploded, tennis would be in bad shape for six months. But it would be a bad thing for a good cause."

Nathalie Tauziat: "I won't name individuals, but it's clear that doping exists in tennis and needs to be stopped...I have no hard evidence, but all I will say is that you don't have to have a degree in medicine to see that some of the players have transformed themselves almost overnight..."

Andre Agassi

Andre Agassi (1999): "I have absolutely no knowledge of anyone blood-doping whatsoever."

Andre Agassi (2004): "I don't know how you could do it for a short time much less how you would work it long term. I don't know how you'd pull it off...we test so extensively that we have absolutely removed the possibility of somebody taking drugs to obtain a strategic advantage."

Andre Agassi (2008): "When it comes to drug testing, I'll hold tennis up to any sport in the world...I find myself focusing the most on what our sport is doing to make sure that if you're cheating, you'll get caught. And that's where I take refuge. I believe our sport is on the leading edge, pioneering ways to hold players accountable...Even when I was playing, I was drug tested one year something like 20 times, and I didn't play as much as many others. If you cheat, it's not a matter of if you get caught, but when you get caught."

Andre Agassi (in 2009, admitting that he failed a drug test in 1997 and successfully lied to the ATP to get them to drop the case): "Then I come to the central lie of the letter...I say that recently I drank accidentally from one of Slim's spiked sodas, unwittingly ingesting his drugs. I ask for understanding and leniency and hastily sign it: Sincerely."

Michael Stich: "The fact that [Agassi] was using it [crystal meth], escaped drugs tests and said he used it accidentally raises a lot of questions towards the ATP...Why was Andre Agassi not suspended if he tested positive and why was it never brought to the attention of the media and the players? Nobody ever heard about it."

Whereabouts/Out-of-Competition Testing

Andy Murray: "These new rules are so draconian that it makes it almost impossible to live a normal life."

Rafael Nadal: "It's not fair to have persecution like that...They make you feel like a criminal."

Rafael Nadal: "I am the first who wants a clean sport, more than anyone, believe me, but the way it [controls] are being done is, in my opinion, not right [...] I'm always going to be with the players and I will always defend them...I have confidence in my colleagues. I believe they are clean and if the [testing] results don't tell me something else, I will defend my friends."

Bob Bryan: ''It's a little strict. They've been showing up a lot at our house, especially last year before the Olympics, but we want fairness in our sport. We don't want it looked upon like baseball. We want integrity in our sport.''

Mike Bryan: "It's a little strict, but it's the same for everyone. It's gonna really clean up our sport. There will be no questions in anyone's head if anyone's cheating."

Roger Federer: "I feel like this is how you're going to catch them, right? You're not going to catch them ringing them up and saying, 'Look, I would like to test you maybe in two days.' The guy's cheating and they're smart, right? It's an hour a day. I know it's a pain, but I would like it to be a clean sport, and that's why I'm OK with it."

Gilles Simon: "I think this system is demanding but necessary to ensure that everybody can be tested anytime."

Mahesh Bhupathi: "It is no fun. But to fight cheats I will do it. I am already giving my daily whereabouts to the association."

Janko Tipsarevic: "The fact that we have to report every day of our lives to someone is just a disgrace and a joke."

Janko's thighs, circa 2011 (via his own twitter account!):

tipsariviclegs.jpg

Undated Janko pic (look at the scar, same spot):
iiJankoTipsarevic_Miami2009_01.jpg

Tennis is a clean sport, just like the NFL is a clean sport.

Diamond

The racquet I was playing with has a slightly larger frame, but what was most notable to me was that the grip was larger. And I'm always complaining about the racquet moving in my hands (and I do have somewhat large hands, I suppose) so maybe that was it. I'm gonna test my theory with my old racquet. I put three overgrips on it to simulate a larger grip.

Are you aware of the index test, to measure if your grip is at the right size ?
You should be able to comfortably put your index finger between the tip of your fingers and the bottom of your hand when you hold your racquet, like in the picture below. If you must squeeze your index for it to fit, your grip is to small. If there's space around it, your grip is too big.

gripmaat.gif

Another issue that can make your racquet move is a technical one : maybe you're not hitting the ball at the racquet sweet spot. If the ball touches the strings outside of the spot, close to the frame, it can make your racquet turn in your hand. Happens to me too on volleys.

Also, could be good ol' hand sweat but if I remember well you already adressed that issue with Tourna Grip.

Tennis is a clean sport, just like the NFL is a clean sport.

I don't think people like perfectchaos (or me) are in denial, we just don't like to point fingers without proof. Saying things like :"LOOK AT NADAL IT'S SO OBVIOUS HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE IT ?" is totally counter productive.

What type of PED does he take ? Steroids ? For what ? Muscular mass ? "Look at his left arm" they say. I probably have a bigger arm than him and I only do bodyweight training. Arm muscles are not even that important in tennis. Look at Cilic, Federer or Del Potro.
Ok, so maybe endurance ? During these past years, I often saw Nadal tired. He has excellent fitness, sure, but he often pays the price for his hard fought victories. Look at the recent marathon world record, THAT's what I would consider an extraordinary endurance performance. In tennis, the effective playing time is not even an hour in a 5 hours match.

For the record, I don't even like Nadal that much, and I don't think tennis does its best to find cheaters. I have doubts, like a lot of people. I just want solid proof before accusing somebody.

On this subject, I just read this article this morning. Germany is thinking about putting future PED users in jail. Maybe that's the answer. After all, these guys can basically earn millions by cheating.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I mean just on the facts of it Federer is the most likely candidate for PED user given his title rate and recovery time.

I mean just on the facts of it Federer is the most likely candidate for PED user given his ... recovery time.
haha, good one

Nadal gets tired at the end of his runs, sure, but he always comes back "stronger" afterwards... lol

Of course nobody here on an American message board has proof. But you have your own eyes and your own judgment. Lance Armstrong ruined it for every sheep/blind following fan who asks for "proof" or, what do you call it on neogaf? Ah yeah, "receipts". So for that I'm grateful that Armstrong exists; before that, you couldn't even imply PEDs on well-liked athletes, though obvious it is as in the case of Nadal/S. Williams.

Diamond

haha, good one

Nadal gets tired at the end of his runs, sure, but he always comes back "stronger" afterwards... lol

Of course nobody here on an American message board has proof. But you have your own eyes and your own judgment. Lance Armstrong ruined it for every sheep/blind following fan who asks for "proof" or, what do you call it on neogaf? Ah yeah, "receipts". So for that I'm grateful that Armstrong exists; before that, you couldn't even imply PEDs on well-liked athletes, though obvious it is as in the case of Nadal/S. Williams.

We don't necessarily have to have rock solid, definitive evidence to discuss this matter. I'd just like someone to explain clearly why he thinks guys like Nadal, Ferrer, Djokovic, hell, even Federer are juicing, without constantly saying "it's obvious" or calling me blind because I'm not as sure as they are. I want compelling arguments. I'm open to discussion.

What makes it so "obvious" that Nadal/Serena are juicing? Their recovery time after injuries? Their dominance?

Yes, doping technology is probably outpacing testing technology given how long it took to catch Armstrong and others. And yes, professional sports nowadays are treated with skepticism with regards to superhuman feats of strength, endurance, ability, etc. But at the same time we are making vast technological advances in the world. We're healthier, smarter, and fitter than ever. It's not impossible to keep getting better, to keep shattering past records. Does Usain Bolt use PED's, or is he just a byproduct of long legs, good genes, and excellent training? What about Michael Phelps?

Faith

If we take the AO2012 finals for example. Is that achievement even possible without drugs? I mean 6 hours of quality tennis. I don't believe Djokovic & Nadal did that without help.

Is that achievement even possible without drugs?
It's not

What makes it so "obvious" that Nadal/Serena are juicing? Their recovery time after injuries?
That's one thing. In the case of Serena Williams, her lying ways are another. The sports media must be scared of her or something. There are quite a few leads to inquire in her fabulous, storied career (e.g. panic room incident, bizarre foot injury in a restaurant - in the era of social media you mean to tell me nobody has any picture of that? It goes on and on.).

With the Humble Bullshitter, it's the constant use of "injuries" to cover the yearly layoffs that is disconcerting. Nobody as banged up as he pretends to be can be so dominant at his age - taking into account he has been playing at a high level since 04-05 doesn't help justify the various "alibis". Taking long "injury" breaks to come back "stronger than ever" is also quite indicative of a doping cheater.

Anyways, I could go on and on, but if you're not convinced yet they are both raging dopers, after all these years of weird behaviour and excuses, nothing short of being right there with them and their doctors would convince you otherwise.

Dispatch

It's not

That's one thing. In the case of Serena Williams, her lying ways are another. The sports media must be scared of her or something. There are quite a few leads to inquire in her fabulous, storied career (e.g. panic room incident, bizarre foot injury in a restaurant - in the era of social media you mean to tell me nobody has any picture of that? It goes on and on.).

With the Humble Bullshitter, it's the constant use of "injuries" to cover the yearly layoffs that is disconcerting. Nobody as banged up as he pretends to be can be so dominant at his age - taking into account he has been playing at a high level since 04-05 doesn't help justify the various "alibis". Taking long "injury" breaks to come back "stronger than ever" is also quite indicative of a doping cheater.

Anyways, I could go on and on, but if you're not convinced yet they are both raging dopers, after all these years of weird behaviour and excuses, nothing short of being right there with them and their doctors would convince you otherwise.

I teach English in an American high school. We're currently reading The Crucible by Arthur Miller. I think you should read it.

Simon is melting down on the court right now. He's doing a half scream, half cry after every shot he misses. He's yelling in general after every point

edit: Serena just withdrew AGAIN. Second consecutive tournament withdrawal.

LuuKyK

Simon is melting down on the court right now. He's doing a half scream, half cry after every shot he misses. He's yelling in general after every point

edit: Serena just withdrew AGAIN. Second consecutive tournament withdrawal.

Getting old I guess. It would come sooner or later.

Still, talking about Serena, what is not getting old is her body. Jesus. Look at this.

Top Bottom