• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

scarlet

453755042-roger-federer-of-switzerland-hods-the-gettyimages.jpg

Probably the ugliest trophy I've ever seen. Seriously.

Worse than Madrid and maybe that's why Nole doesn't want it :p

@faith: MTE

Reyne

Federer almost didn't play Cincinnati either:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/28830641

"I had to try to back up a tough week from last week, I didn't think it was possible," he said. "I was considering not playing.
"But in practise I felt like I was recovering quickly so I gave it to a go. I played with less pressure."

Sure glad he did. Nice perseverance from him, not just in playing back to back weeks but also putting his losses behind him and come out on top.

Hopefully good things awaits in the big apple.

Get better soon, Rafa. In a way, it's good that he's not rushing back on tour, and letting his wrist heal. Wrist injuries are a serious thing. The splint is off, but he probably can't hit a proper backhand for a while.

"And speak not his name for his era will do unto others what has wronged him. The first calamity." Excerpt from the first book of the DelPotro era.

You should have just made a Nadal Injury OT. You could bump it every two years after Wimbledon.

that would be awesome, but mods frown upon topics that get bumped after 3 months of no previous posts. someone would have to remember to keep the thread alive outside of clay season

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
that would be awesome, but mods frown upon topics that get bumped after 3 months of no previous posts. someone would have to remember to keep the thread alive outside of clay season

I was just kidding really.

Last year's final would refute that, no?

Anyway, I don't see Fed beating him, and I don't know what's wrong with Murray atm.

Eh, could go either way honestly. They're 2-2 this year, and all of them have gone the distance aside from Monte Carlo.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Anybody putting up the US Open OT? We can take shots every time someone mentions that Federer should retire.

I think MIMIC wanted to because of the Federer beating Djokovic in '11 gif in the French Open thread. But who knows. He might be too busy being a better tennis player than Murray.

I know, I was just playing along with your hypothetical thread.

Surrrrrrre

Why is there no mobile app for the us open this year? At least the 2013 one didnt update for me yet. Weird.

I was wondering the same thing. looked in the ap store to download it about 2 hours ago and it wasn't there. Weird because they usually have it running by the qualifying tournament which is going on right now.

MIMIC

Banned
I think MIMIC wanted to because of the Federer beating Djokovic in '11 gif in the French Open thread. But who knows. He might be too busy being a better tennis player than Murray.

You say it like it's hard :)

I'm out of town and have some free time so I can finally record myself serving. You can compare us =p

Anyway, I was playing (or rather just hitting) with some guy yesterday. He was the first person I've ever met who sliced every single shot. He sliced his forehand AND his backhand. A few days earlier I saw him playing another guy and he did the same thing.

I thought it would be hard playing against him because taking full shots against a sliced shot is pretty difficult. But it turned out to be much easier.

I was wondering the same thing. looked in the ap store to download it about 2 hours ago and it wasn't there. Weird because they usually have it running by the qualifying tournament which is going on right now.
If we don't get one.......goddam.......remember watxhing qualies last year......

And you confused Bencic and Konjuh.

Its Davis Cup semi finals week! My picks are Switzerland and France.

The USA is in a relegation match against Slovakia. If they lose, they will be relegated out of the World Group for the first time in 25 years

yogloo

I'm so upset that cheater won.
I feel that dope users should be banned for life from their respective sports. There are research proving dope users actually retained their advantages even after they quit.

I'm so upset that cheater won.
I feel that dope users should be banned for life from their respective sports. There are research proving dope users actually retained their advantages even after they quit.

I'm pretty sure he tested positive for a stimulant though. He'd have to have kept taking it to see results.

MIMIC

Banned
Had a "Federer service game" today. It would have been 30 seconds but my opponent was trying to slow me down, lol All first serves and 2 aces. ^_^

Also, the "off-serve" is really useful.....but it's hard to remember to employ it. My opponent and I have good first serves, and we kept surprising each other when we took the pace off of our first serves. I put the return in more frequently than he did, but it's still really effective.

Also, there was this young kid getting coached (I wanna say he was Spanish). While I was watching him play, I noticed that he had a fucking grunt....one of those grunts with "emphasis". Do they TEACH these kids to grunt or something?

EDIT: Oh snap! Murry's out of the top 10:

e3coAVk.jpg

Top Bottom