• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Faith

123cosnj.png

Who would have thought that Djokovic would add another 6 GS titles after his FO loss in 2014?

I remember reading articles in the German mainstream media about the shooting star Bouchard. They also mentioned her and her camp's slight arrogance.

Well her camp can always point to the US Open's dangerous locker room as the reason her career took a dive if it helps them sleep better at night

oti

Banned
In tennis two years are an eternity. The game can change in unforeseeable ways and reentering the tour will be a very difficult thing to do. Maria is also not the the youngest player anymore.

In tennis two years are an eternity. The game can change in unforeseeable ways and reentering the tour will be a very difficult thing to do. Maria is also not the the youngest player anymore.

If she decides to come back I'm sure plenty of tournaments will throw her a wildcard, but she may never be able to get directly accepted into a tournament ever again since her ranking will not be protected and she'll have to start again from the very bottom. Retirement looks pretty appealing right now

Ricker

Man,I knew they would suspend her but considering the circumstances and all I thought it would be for the rest of the year,max,but all of 2017 also,damn I think thats too much...I read Nike will keep her contract though so maybe the appeal will cut down the ban...

Ricker

Okay Good. It would have been sorta strange from a public perspective to see her competing in the olympics on tv while banned from pro competitoin.

Especially her going all the way and winning the Gold lol...I think you need to be ranked 60 or better or something like that to be chosen in the Olympics or something,currently she isn't even on the WTA list...or is it a Fed Cup thing...? not sure anymore...I know Raonic,Genie and Pospisil will be there for Canada :p

Milchmann

Okay Good. It would have been sorta strange from a public perspective to see her competing in the olympics on tv while banned from pro competitoin.

Actually it would be the other way around. ITF banned her and ITF organizes the Olympic tennis tournaments. But ITF bans also apply to WTA and ATP.

I think most 5-time GS champions would call it a day if they got a 2 year ban at age 29, but knowing Sharapova she'll be determined to make a come back in 2018. Will be fun to follow whatever happens.

LuuKyK

Nike is back supporting Maria after the decision from the judges that it was not intentional use. She has a 8 years contract with Nike btw.

Lendl coming back is great news. Murray has been totally lacking that cutting edge to his tennis since Wimbledon 2013, the back injury obvs didn't help but he's never played tennis as good as he was playing 2012 - 13 since.

Great to see Murray back with Lendl. The only coach he's had who I think he truly believed knew more than him. As well as being a great, he was the only other man in the Open Era to make 4 Slam finals and lose them all (before going on to win).

BTW 18 year old Taylor Fritz is now engaged to his 18 year old girlfriend. Sounds like a big mistake on multiple levels but if they are happy I guess good for him.....

Great to see Murray back with Lendl. The only coach he's had who I think he truly believed knew more than him. As well as being a great, he was the only other man in the Open Era to make 4 Slam finals and lose them all (before going on to win).

He's also one of the few guys who will snap out the bullshit that comes from Murrays mouth which he aims at his box during games. Murray rarely did it under Lendl because he knew that he wouldn't accept it.

I don't really have any issue with a player venting during a match, but I think with Murray it just consumes too much energy and thinking time. There's only so much time between points to work out your next play and spending it all berating yourself isn't wise. Let it out, as calmly as possible, then move on.

Top Bottom