• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
del potro wins the second set, but he looks totally drained at the beginning of the third. hopefully he has more in the tank, but not looking good.

sam777

Well done to Murray, the semi final took too much out of DelPo however he will no doubt be here in 4 years time barring injuries.

Uzzy

Amazing that Del Potro lasted so long. He looked exhausted over an hour ago and still played some really great tennis.

Two Gold Medals for Andy now, incredible stuff.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Fuck, so close. I'm sure he's happy with the tournament as a whole. Glad to see him competing again.

miserable

Did you guys notice that Nadal was in a pissy mood during the whole tournament? Every single match he complained about something. First it was the digital scoreboard, then it was the crowd, then the schedule , then he got pissed at the ballboys for not knowing his toweling routine and that he always needs at least 3 balls.
In the bronze medal match after the second set Nishikori took a 12 minute break (what was up with that btw?), which coupled with the fact that his good "friend" Bernardes was the umpire made him furious.
Sure, most of the complaints were legitimate but usually he doesn't complain this much. Or maybe I just haven't noticed it before.

Ricker

Did you guys notice that Nadal was in a pissy mood during the whole tournament? Every single match he complained about something. First it was the digital scoreboard, then it was the crowd, then the schedule , then he got pissed at the ballboys for not knowing his toweling routine and that he always needs at least 3 balls.
In the bronze medal match after the second set Nishikori took a 12 minute break (what was up with that btw?), which coupled with the fact that his good "friend" Bernardes was the umpire made him furious.
Sure, most of the complaints were legitimate but usually he doesn't complain this much. Or maybe I just haven't noticed it before.

The crowd was special...at times the cheering and chanting went a little too long I thought and I am pretty sure the players didnt like it,they try not to show it of course but sometimes it makes them look a little pissy yeah...

Serena Williams has withdrawn from CincyTennis due to shoulder injury.

RedAssedApe

Banned
happy for delpo. despite the loss.

always been of weird that the gold medal match is the only 5 setter...should make the bronze work for it too. is it b/c they don't want 4th place to feel bad? lol

miserable

so Serena withdraws from Cinci. If Kerber wins the tournament she'll be no.1, putting an end to Serena's 3 and a half years long reign.

Del Potro received a wildcard for the US Open, yay

I'm surprised the USTA gave it to him over Ryan Harrison like they usually do. Poor Ryan Harrison. Here's the full list of wild cards for the men

Main Draw
1 DelPo, Juan Martin ARG
2 Escobedo, Ernesto USA
3 Fratangelo, Bjorn USA
4 McDonald, Mackenzie USA (2016 NCAA champion)
5 Mmoh, Michael USA (USA Boys 18U champion)
6 Ram, Rajeev USA
7 Tiafoe, Frances USA
8 tba AUS (reciprocal agreement with Australian Open)

Qualifying
1 Bangoura, Sekou USA
2 Harrison, Christian USA (Ryan Harrison's younger brother)
3 Kirkov, Vasil USA (USA 18U runner-up)
4 Krueger, Mitchell USA
5 Kwiatkowski, Thai-Son USA
6 Opelka, Reilly USA
7 Sandgren, Tennys USA
8 Shane, Ryan USA
9 tbd (National Playoffs champion)

And the WTA wildcards for the US Open are

Main Draw:
Danielle Collins (USA) -2016 NCAA champion
Kayla Day (USA)- USA Girls 18U champion
Lauren Davis (USA)
Sofia Kenin (USA)
Vania King (USA)
Bethanie Mattek-Sands (USA)
Virginie Razzano (FRA) -Reciprocal agreement with French Open

Qualifying
Amanda Anisimova (USA)
Francesca Di Lorenzo (USA)
Nicole Frenkel (USA)
Ellie Halbauer (USA)
Jamie Loeb (USA)
Raveena Kingsley (USA)
Melanie Oudin (USA) -lmao she's still trying?
Laura Robson (GBR) - She won her first tournament in 8 years just last week
tbd (US OPEN NATIONAL PLAYOFFS WINNER)

Steve Johnson def. Tsonga in Cinci, which means on Monday Steve Johnson will be the #1 ranked American.

Speaking of #1's, Kerber now just 4 matches away from being the world #1

And Coric just destroyed Nadal 6-1, 6-3

Nadal probably hit more UEs today than in entire second weeks of his best French Opens. Coric took full advantage, but in truth many players would have seen him off. The Croat's win over Kyrgios was a real achievement though. Showed real steel to recover after failing to serve out, save match point, and close the deciding tie-break. Deserved first Masters QF for a teenager since Gulbis.

Wow Serena is so close to breaking it! And Kerber could end it by the end of the week! It's gonna be close

Didn't even realise, that's nuts and an insane achievement for Serena.

Nadal probably hit more UEs today than in entire second weeks of his best French Opens. Coric took full advantage, but in truth many players would have seen him off. The Croat's win over Kyrgios was a real achievement though. Showed real steel to recover after failing to serve out, save match point, and close the deciding tie-break. Deserved first Masters QF for a teenager since Gulbis.

Despite 3 broken racquets Kyrgios couldn't pull the win. LOL.

Milchmann

#1 watch: Kerber beat Suarez Navarro 4-6 6-3 6-0. 2 matches to go. Next match against Halep or Radwanska. Final against Pliskova/Muguruza/Babos.

d+pad

Serena is already better than Graf.

Nah. Too many stats in favor of Graf's career, IMO. Many of which Serena will never match, let alone beat. I'm impressed that she's been able to match a few of them, though -- and for her to take this record from Graf definitely would be impressive.

d+pad

Seles is the mammoth in the room.

Oh, lord, not the Seles card again. People *really* overestimate how Seles would've impacted Graf's career had she not been stabbed. Could she have won some Slams that Graf ended up winning? Perhaps, but it's also possible Graf would've won them anyway -- esp. as Seles never really had Graf's number, even when she was at the top of her game. (The ladies who troubled Graf at that point in her career were Sabatini, Sanchez-Vicario and a bunch of net-rushers.)

Top Bottom