• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

zero_suit

Oh, lord, not the Seles card again. People *really* overestimate how Seles would've impacted Graf's career had she not been stabbed. Could she have won some Slams that Graf ended up winning? Perhaps, but it's also possible Graf would've won them anyway -- esp. as Seles never really had Graf's number, even when she was at the top of her game. (The ladies who troubled Graf at that point in her career were Sabatini, Sanchez-Vicario and a bunch of net-rushers.)

Seles was 3-1 against Graf in GS finals before getting stabbed. Plus, she won 8 grand slam titles before the incident and only one after. It is extremely likely Monica would have won several more slams.

d+pad

Seles was 3-1 against Graf in GS finals before getting stabbed. Plus, she won 8 grand slam titles before the incident and only one after. It is extremely likely Monica would have won several more slams.

And she was 4-6 overall. So?

Anyway, I really shouldn't have jumped into this argument, as no one can win. Just like no one can win the Graf vs. Serena argument, etc. We all have our favorites, and as such we all will agree w/ reasons and excuses that fit our particular opinions.

To get things back on track, cheers to Kerber for her run this year. Should she grab the #1 spot tomorrow, it will be well deserved, IMO. Also should make the US Open particularly interesting this year! (On the women's side, at least.)

zero_suit

And she was 4-6 overall. So?

Anyway, I really shouldn't have jumped into this argument, as no one can win. Just like no one can win the Graf vs. Serena argument, etc. We all have our favorites, and as such we all will agree w/ reasons and excuses that fit our particular opinions.

To get things back on track, cheers to Kerber for her run this year. Should she grab the #1 spot tomorrow, it will be well deserved, IMO. Also should make the US Open particularly interesting this year! (On the women's side, at least.)

Fair enough.

You think Djoker is a lock? I agree. Andy hasn't beat him in a GS final on HC in over three years.

Knowing how Serena's mind works, I think she has a better chance of winning the US Open as the #2 seed. She seems to play better with a big chip on her shoulder. She has her whole career. Like in 2007 when she was unseeded in the Australian Open, she ran through it and beat Sharapova 6-1, 6-2 in the final. It was a massacre

zero_suit

Knowing how Serena's mind works, I think she has a better chance of winning the US Open as the #2 seed. She seems to play better with a big chip on her shoulder. She has her whole career. Like in 2007 when she was unseeded in the Australian Open, she ran through it and beat Sharapova 6-1, 6-2 in the final. It was a massacre

Haha, I re-watch that match from time to time. Complete demolition.

As far as the seeding, it doesn't matter. Hardcourt is her best surface overall. I don't know if Serena will have a chip on her shoulder. She'll still be the favorite.

d+pad

Fair enough.

You think Djoker is a lock? I agree. Andy hasn't beat him in a GS final on HC in over three years.

Not really RE: Djoker. He's certainly the favorite, but he also looked really shaky at the Olympics, so who knows?

Personally, I'd love for someone other than Djoker, Murray or even Nadal to win on the men's side. Not sure I see that happening, though.

d+pad

I agree, but only to a point. It'll certainly bother her and work her up if Kerber's #1, but that doesn't necessarily mean much these days, IMO. A few years ago, yes, but now Serena seems to get herself so worked up at the Slams that it's just as likely to backfire as it is to work in her favor. I think that's going to be more and more the case in the next year or two, as there's no question she's in the twilight of her career and she only seems to be getting more and more worked up (in a bad way) about the Slams.

Ricker

Yep,Kerber could actually be number 1 today if she beats Pliskova...not my favorite player but she is playing well this year I guess...

oti

Banned
Yep,Kerber could actually be number 1 today if she beats Pliskova...not my favorite player but she is playing well this year I guess...

How can you not love Kerber? After the avalanche of Russians a few years back heavy hitters are the norm. Kerber is the smartest counter player while sporting the physique her playstyle needs (sorry Aga). It ain't always spectacular but it's always fascinating.

Ricker

Well not this week Kerber...see what she did at the net there,she kissed Pliskova on the cheeks...she should of done that to Puig in the gold medal match but she barely shook her hand,it looked awful...maybe they told her to be a bit more sympathetic in those finals when she loses lol...

Grats to Pliskova.

Milchmann

Ok, thought so. That's why I didn't want to start the free month of DAZN before the US Open are over, since I'll need the Eurosport Player for them anyway. Thanks.

How's the stream quality btw?

Quality is good for me, but the stream delay could be shorter.

Well not this week Kerber...see what she did at the net there,she kissed Pliskova on the cheeks...she should of done that to Puig in the gold medal match but she barely shook her hand,it looked awful...maybe they told her to be a bit more sympathetic in those finals when she loses lol...

You're not wrong. But aren't you a Bouchard fan? lol

With this loss, Serena will break the consecutive weeks at #1 record, right?

I think she still has to go further than Kerber in the US Open. Serena has semi final points to defend while kerber lost in the 3rd round last year so even if Serena wins the US Open Kerber will probably only have to make the semi finals to pass her.

zero_suit

I think she still has to go further than Kerber in the US Open. Serena has semi final points to defend while kerber lost in the 3rd round last year so even if Serena wins the US Open Kerber will probably only have to make the semi finals to pass her.

Here are the scenarios:

BN4iY7q.jpg

Serena will tie the record at worst.

Cilic is playing really well. He's reminding me of that 2014 form when he won the US open. Him and Delpo are definitely Major threats to beat Murray/Djokovic at the US open

I think it's still a bit early to call Del Potro a slam contender again.

why? We saw what he's capable of at the Olympics last week. He's good enough to beat the world #1 in straight sets. Thats worthy of being labeled a "contender" in my book. Keep in mind the courts at the US Open should be a little faster than those super slow hard courts in Rio

MIMIC

Banned
So happy for Cilic! ^_^ He gets so much flack for being a headcase and a choker, but he got the job done and won a Masters....and it was when there was a clear opportunity for him to do so. Didn't choke this one away!

oti

Banned
Did Murray kill your dog or something?

I must say, I'm enjoying Murray more and more these days. I remember when he first appeared with his oddly smart playstyle, I loved him. Since then the dude has gained double his weight in muscle or something and lost some of his uniqueness. But with the second Wimbledon and second Olympic Gold I feel like he has gained a lot of confidence. Eagerly looking forward to the US Open to see what he can bring to the table.
I miss Federer so much.

Diamond

Did Murray kill your dog or something?

What I'd love is a show where you put haters face to face with the athletes they berate online and see what happens.

I'm not a fan of Murray's playstyle but he has an understanding of tennis geometry and dynamics like probably very few have. You have to respect that. Plus he's probably one of the most level-headed guys of the tour (at least it seems like it when you follow what he's doing and what he says off the court).

In other news, Federer and Nadal are going to play doubles in the Laver Cup. AT LAST!
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2016...-federer-nadal-to-team-up-in-laver-cup/60161/

oti

Banned
What I'd love is a show where you put haters face to face with the athletes they berate online and see what happens.

I'm not a fan of Murray's playstyle but he has an understanding of tennis geometry and dynamics like probably very few have. You have to respect that. Plus he's probably one of the most level-headed guys of the tour (at least it seems like it when you follow what he's doing and what he says off the court).

In other news, Federer and Nadal are going to play doubles in the Laver Cup. AT LAST!
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2016...-federer-nadal-to-team-up-in-laver-cup/60161/

This event sounds awesome. But Team Europe vs. the rest means Top 4 vs. the rest lol. The gap between those two groups is immense.

Diamond

This event sounds awesome. But Team Europe vs. the rest means Top 4 vs. the rest lol. The gap between those two groups is immense.

It's true the tour has been dominated by Europe for a long time now. The best they could do is probably Raonic, Nishikori, Kyrgios and Delpo, Maybe the Bryans in doubles. Not a bad team if Djokovic and/or Murray don't show up.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
why? We saw what he's capable of at the Olympics last week. He's good enough to beat the world #1 in straight sets. Thats worthy of being labeled a "contender" in my book. Keep in mind the courts at the US Open should be a little faster than those super slow hard courts in Rio

I don't think nuPotro will work on fast courts, though. He still doesn't have a backhand, really - he slices at least 9 in 10 shots coming that way. The faster the ball comes in, the harder that it is to do, he can't just redirect it. He also has quite a slow build-up to his forehand, he's not someone who can reliably hit it on the run in the way that Murray or Djokovic with their rather short strokes can. I feel like the Rio courts were basically built for Del Potro - Murray and Djokovic both struggled to drag him around as much as they'd have liked because he got the time to set up his forehand so often. I think nuPotro should show better at the AO than the US, despite the historic record.

MIMIC

Banned
Was playing tennis the other day and I decided to use a drop shot....a shot that I never use.

It was doubles. Both guys were so far back, and I was midway up the court, and I was like, "Lemme see if this'll work," lol. They were so surprised.

miserable

US Open possible QF's:

Men's:
Djokovic - Cilic
Nadal - Raonic
Del Potro - Wawrinka
Murray - Nishikori

Women's:
Serena - Halep
Venus - Radwanska
Muguruza - Keys
Kerber - Cibulkova

LuuKyK

Serena got a real test in the first round. Makarova is easily the most dangerous unseeded player and she already beat her on hardcourts (Australian Open) and had some pretty good results including beating Kvitova at Wimbledon this year. Not counting she won gold at the olympics.

Serena got a real test in the first round. Makarova is easily the most dangerous unseeded player and she already beat her on hardcourts (Australian Open) and had some pretty good results including beating Kvitova at Wimbledon this year. Not counting she won gold at the olympics.

No time for Serena to "ease her way" into a tournament like she likes to do. She'll have to be focused from round 1

Top Bottom