• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Saw that factoid yesterday. Real end of an era stuff, especially in a week where Nadal was horrendously bad against Dimitrov (lost his first 5 service games...). I still hold out hope for one last note of glory from them in 2017.

With Konta losing to Radwanska in the Beijing final, the race to Singapore is going to go right to the wire. Pretty crazy to see a load of top ten players in a tiny tournament in Austria.

Kyrgios tanking his Shangahi match against Zverev (Misha not Alexander !) and getting booed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L0IrNK2W_E

He lost 6-3 6-1 in 47 minutes.

Unbelievable.
I don't hate him at all, I think he has great talent and he is very fun to watch.
But at times he really becomes unbearable with his shitty behaviour.
He is still young, I hope he can grow up and mature and don't waste his career, because when he cares he plays great.

Edit:
Here's another example of his attitude today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4_51oY1QHI

Can we just transplant Hewitt's fight/work rate and Rafter's great attitude into Kyrgios and call it a day? Keep his talent, chop off the head and leave out the pea-heart.

The kid reached 14th in the world, damn fine achievement but I still refuse to watch or support him in any fashion until his attitude is that of determination and respect. It also stinks of not trying in case he loses to lesser players , seems to becoming a pattern with him. Some players find it really hard in those matches to consistently win.

Looks like we're in for a Djokovic/Murray final in Shanghai, with so many of the bigger seeds out. Djokovic has Mischa Zverev (yes, really, but credit to the guy for taking full advantage of Kyrgios' tank to beat Granollers), before one of RBA or Tsonga in the SFs. Murray has Goffin, before Simon or Sock.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
djokovic loses to bautista agut in the semifinal in shanghai. i would love to say that the decline has begun, but i'm not optimistic enough. got to see how he plays in australia next year before even dreaming of such wonders.

miserable

Murray could become No.1 this year, if he wins Basel? and Paris, and Djokovic doesn't make the final in Paris.
On one hand, Djoker's reign could finally be over, on the other, well, it's Murray...

350x700px-LL-ce0d05b2_tumblr_md7nlrmi321rkghduo1_400.gif

Peru

Murray could become No.1 this year, if he wins Basel? and Paris, and Djokovic doesn't make the final in Paris.
On one hand, Djoker's reign could finally be over, on the other, well, it's Murray...

350x700px-LL-ce0d05b2_tumblr_md7nlrmi321rkghduo1_400.gif

I like Murray but this rise to #1 is super anti-climactic, no real opposition in the way.

phoony17

Kyrgios suspended for 8 weeks for tanking.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis...e/news-story/9890f379755c0a330ee6491de471e56c

Particularly hurts as he'll miss some of his own country lead up events.

EVEN for Nick Kyrgios, last week’s performance was a step too far. Tennis officials agree.
The 21-year-old Australian has been kicked off the tour effective immediately after a bizarre straight sets loss at the Shanghai Masters.
Kyrgios won’t play again in 2016 and faces a ban until January at the earliest for what the ATP described a “conduct contrary to the integrity of the game”.
The suspension ends the day before the 2017 Australian Open, meaning a Melbourne Park appearance is still very much a possibility.

Wow, I'm surprised they actually did that. Hopefully he learns a lesson from this.

I have a feeling, for the most part, he still doesn't care. I could see him receiving the news and saying something like "pfft, its not like I enjoy playing tennis anyway" Then he goes back to playing Xbox or pokemon GO.

I have a feeling, for the most part, he still doesn't care. I could see him receiving the news and saying something like "pfft, its not like I enjoy playing tennis anyway" Then he goes back to playing Xbox or pokemon GO.

Hopefully he'll start to care when sponsors don't pay up due to contract clauses. If he keeps this attitude up I'd rather he quit tennis and pursue his love of basketball. Good riddance. At least the ATP finally understand hitting in the points/rank is where it hurts.

Whoa, I had no idea Raonic moved up to 4th in the rankings (Yes, I know Nadal and Federer have/had injury problems but it's still awesome to see someone from Thornhill ranked 4th in the world in tennis!)

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Delpo won his first title today since Sydney in 2014, didn't drop a set the whole tournament too. Hope it's the first of more to come.

Been a pretty interesting WTA finals so far. Players who will advance to the KO rounds are Kerber, Cibulkova, Kuznetsova, and the winner tomorrow between Pliskova and Radwanska.

d+pad

Been a pretty interesting WTA finals so far. Players who will advance to the KO rounds are Kerber, Cibulkova, Kuznetsova, and the winner tomorrow between Pliskova and Radwanska.

Agreed! It's especially been nice to see Kuzie play so well again. I honestly hope she wins the whole thing, though she may well have her hands full in the next round.

Also, it's been nice to see Kerber turn things around a bit. Her post-US Open play was mostly horrid, yet here she's beaten three top 10 players--and two of them pretty convincingly. (Though her play early on against Keys was terrible. Thankfully, Keys' play was terrible, too.)

I'm kind of sad Pliskova didn't advance instead of Aga, though. I like Aga and find her game amusing, but I'd prefer to see someone like Pliskova do well at an event like this. Plus, I really had this feeling Pliskova was going to avenge her loss to Kerber in the final here :| I guess I'll just have to root for Kuzie and Kerber now...

Aga was very beatable today - low 1st serve percentage and quite a few UEs, but Pliskova completely bottled it when ahead in both sets while Aga raised her game at the crucial moments. Navratilova noted in commentary that she was much more prepared to go all-in on break points while Pliskova often went safe.

Interesting to note that the 4 older players all qualified while the 4 younger all lost. Kerber (28), Kuznetsova (31), Radwanska (27), Cibulkova (27) at the expense of Halep (25), Muguruza (23), Pliskova (24), Keys (21). Arguably Serena, Azarenka and Sharapova would all be favoured over at least 3 of the four semi-finalists anyway, if they'd been active/eligible, so the younger generation failed to take advantage of a big opportunity at the tour finals.

I'm sure the WTA would have preferred some younger players to promote in lieu of the superstars, but I'm excited for tomorrow's matches - Kerber and Radwanska haven't played since 2015, and Cibulkova v Kuznetsova should be a hard fought epic if their group stage efforts are anything to go by.

clemenx

Banned
What an awesome year for Domi, feels surreal after being a longtime fan of hers. Really hope she can build upon this year and win a slam in '17.

LuuKyK

Ew at this brat winning the finals.

Shame on Angie. Should have let Keys win a set. She shouldn't be losing to Cibulkova anyway.

Ricker

Just finished watching the final...it wasnt live but I managed to not be spoiled so it was fun.The second set was pretty great,grats to Cibulkova,now # 5 after starting the year at # 66...this is what I want from Genie next year :p

d+pad

What an awesome year for Domi, feels surreal after being a longtime fan of hers. Really hope she can build upon this year and win a slam in '17.

I wouldn't bet on that (Domi winning a Slam in '17). She very nearly choked away that second set, and had she done that, who knows what would've happened to the match?

Regardless, good for her. I can't stand her in many respects, but I like that she's *really* aggressive and always has a positive demeanor.

I can't help but think both she and Kuzie (who I love) will take a tumble next year, though. They just aren't the kinds of players who can stick around in such lofty positions for long.

Of course, I also think Kerber's going to have a hard time holding on to that #1 spot unless she makes some changes ASAP. (The second serve, for starters, along with improved net play.)

I'm just not sure she's got the right mindset for it. To stay at #1 for long, you've really got to think you--and no one else--belong there. You've got to think, "of course I'm going to win the next Grand Slam tournament. I'm the best by a mile!" Don't really think that's the kind of thing she tells herself at the moment...

Diamond

Last night at Paris M1000, Wawrinka told off a guy who was talking too loud during play. Turns out it was a french politician, member of the government (not a minister though), who is not really widly liked here. Stan probably won a few french fans by doing that.

Vid of the incident.

https://www.facebook.com/canalplus/videos/1222595594478786/

Stan says : "Hey! We're playing out here! I can't believe it. It's midnight, if you don't want to watch, go home."

Last night at Paris M1000, Wawrinka told off a guy who was talking too loud during play. Turns out it was a french politician, member of the government (not a minister though), who is not really widly liked here. Stan probably won a few french fans by doing that.

Vid of the incident.

https://www.facebook.com/canalplus/videos/1222595594478786/

Stan says : "Hey! We're playing out here! I can't believe it. It's midnight, if you don't want to watch, go home."

fuckin French crowd They are the worst.
Glad Djokovic was able to comeback and win against Grigor DiChokrov

John Dunbar

correct about everything
we can only hope that cilic has an ounce of pride and won't lose to djokovic for the 15th time in a row. doubtful, though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Well, Cilic had two match points. Any chance he doesn't lose this tiebreak?

edit: 1-14, a new era begins

clemenx

Banned
I wouldn't bet on that (Domi winning a Slam in '17). She very nearly choked away that second set, and had she done that, who knows what would've happened to the match?

Regardless, good for her. I can't stand her in many respects, but I like that she's *really* aggressive and always has a positive demeanor.

I can't help but think both she and Kuzie (who I love) will take a tumble next year, though. They just aren't the kinds of players who can stick around in such lofty positions for long.

Of course, I also think Kerber's going to have a hard time holding on to that #1 spot unless she makes some changes ASAP. (The second serve, for starters, along with improved net play.)

I'm just not sure she's got the right mindset for it. To stay at #1 for long, you've really got to think you--and no one else--belong there. You've got to think, "of course I'm going to win the next Grand Slam tournament. I'm the best by a mile!" Don't really think that's the kind of thing she tells herself at the moment...

I pretty much agree with everything you said but Domi was really consistent across the whole calendar. That certainly was something new for her and theres mo tell of she can keep up for another season like that.

I also think that barring Serena being really awesome again which i dont think we can count on we are heading for a wild wild west in the WTA for 2017. Which gives everyone a chance

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't follow tennis a lot this year.

Is this because he won a lot or because of Nole lost a lot?

both.

if only i had any hope for murray not bottling this opportunity. my faith was deeply shaken by another dark day in paris earlier this year.

Top Bottom