• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

RedAssedApe

Banned
Normally I'd be upset at Federer losing but after No 18 I don't really care what happens for the rest of year. Well that's not entirely true but you get my point.

it'd be nice if he could get some ranking points so he doesn't have to run the guantlet at slams...but yeah at this point its kind of just like...losing earlier in this small tournaments mean less miles on his body and less chance of a freak injury.

practice? who needs practice?

Diamond

I'd argue that it was often like that (the odd defeats here or there) before the big four was a thing. If anything the domination of these guys made us used to exceptional results.

clemenx

Banned
I thought Acapulco was a clay court tourney? I was ready to freak out that Nadal lost to Querrey on clay lol.

Edit: Ah, it seems it changed surface in 2014 lol

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Pretty impressive tourney for him. Beat Goffin, Thiem, Kyrgios, Nadal. Can't knock that.

88random

Djokovic IW draw:

R2: Edmund/Elias
R3: Del Potro
R4: Kyrgios/Zverev
QF: Federer/Nadal
SF: Nishikori/Cilic
F: Murray/Wawrinka

Good luck, lol

Bottom quarter must be one of the most insane in history - Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Del Potro, Kyrgios, Zverev all there.

Serena's 2017 might end up looking like 4 Slams + Rome & Cincy (or even less). One of the problems of elite players playing into their 30s for the tours is that they run exceptionally light schedules in order to protect their bodies and ensure maximum performance in the Slams. They better hope more players don't copy her in future.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That has to be the most unbalanced two halves in the last decade, at the very least.

Diamond

What's interesting is the way Pospisil won that match, by playing agressive tennis and going to the net (like Donskoy the other day against Federer). Even Murray said that maybe he didn't prepare to counter this kind of play enough. It's cool to see mid-tier players say fuck it and take their chances.

What's interesting is the way Pospisil won that match, by playing agressive tennis and going to the net (like Donskoy the other day against Federer). Even Murray said that maybe he didn't prepare to counter this kind of play enough. It's cool to see mid-tier players say fuck it and take their chances.

I don't think anyone can out rally Murray in a baseline dual enough times to win a match. Mischa Zverev and now Pospisil have now shown a blueprint for beating baseliners like Murray. Maybe this is the beginning of a new and revived serve and volley era??

Diamond

I don't think anyone can out rally Murray in a baseline dual enough times to win a match. Mischa Zverev and now Pospisil have now shown a blueprint for beating baseliners like Murray. Maybe this is the beginning of a new and revived serve and volley era??

Would be cool to see it at least being a viable game plan again. Australian Open seemed to be a good mix, with a few upsets by offensive minded players and someone like Nadal still managing to be in the finals. I guess it'll depend on the balls and courts which will have to stay fast. In other words, people in charge need to support this resurgence.

Would be cool to see it at least being a viable game plan again. Australian Open seemed to be a good mix, with a few upsets by offensive minded players and someone like Nadal still managing to be in the finals. I guess it'll depend on the balls and courts which will have to stay fast. In other words, people in charge need to support this resurgence.

Agreed. Although that would piss off the USTA since they JUST opened a new national facility this year that has mostly clay courts to train on so their prospects can train to be baseline grinders like Murray and Djokovic. Speaking of Americans, what the hell is Dolan Young doing in a masters 1000 4th round?? lol

Don't think the schedule has helped Djokovic.

Two times he faced Kyrgios. He has long night session matches with Del Potro and then having to play in the day against Kyrgios. Credit to Kyrgios. But not sure why the match couldn't have been played in the night.

clemenx

Banned
Even if he lowers the level this is nothing short of incredible.

What other athlete improves a major weakness at 35 YEARS OLD? He's not human.

Top Bottom