• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Bencic is essentially living proof that it's possible to be a born natural at sport while not remotely having the body for it. Such a shame.
What do you mean? She's the same height as Serena, her weight is fine and she has good muscle tone. I don't really see your point here. It's not like she's 160cm and uncoordinated

That would mean shorter matches, less advertising revenue, and far rarer epic matches. So I doubt that will happen.

for finals Bo5 is fine, especially if you have any of the big four playing each other but anything else? TV people would love to bring it down to Bo3.
the casual tennis watchers is not going to watch an entire 4 hour match between two people they barely know in the third round.

Diamond

There are literally thousands of talented athletes in every sport that are perpetually held back by poor fitness.

It's very interesting to see professional athletes which have, obviously, sport at the center of their lives, and still clearly not physically at their best. There have been enormous progress this past 20 years, but you still have several very high ranked people who could probably be better if they had better training planning.

I remember reading about Agassi's physical program which was prepared by Gil Reyes (who wasn't into tennis before being introduced to him) in Andre's (excellent) biography. Sometimes you just need to meet the right person and your training regimen can be tremendously enhanced.

To be fair, everyone isn't born the same, bodies are different, and including more fitness in an athlete program, who already has to recover from competition and training efforts, must be hard to do. I guess some pro athletes are also satisfied with their situation and don't necessarily strive to make even more sacrifices to be at the higher top there is (to me it's completely understandable).

Better fitness is not always the answer either. For instance Roger Rasheed is known for being a fitness freak, but none of his players (Hewitt, Monfils, Tsonga, Dimitrov) managed to win a very big title, even if they visibly improved their fitness under his lead.

for finals Bo5 is fine, especially if you have any of the big four playing each other but anything else? TV people would love to bring it down to Bo3.
the casual tennis watchers is not going to watch an entire 4 hour match between two people they barely know in the third round.

To me, the very idea of going best of three in slams, even for just a few matches, is an heresy. I hope it never changes. Many exceptionnal matches wouldn't have happened with that rule.

To me, the very idea of going best of three in slams, even for just a few matches, is an heresy. I hope it never changes. Many exceptionnal matches wouldn't have happened with that rule.

you don't have to sell me on bo5. my entire argument was that bo5 women's GS is never ever going to happen, if anything they change men to bo3.

Diamond

you don't have to sell me on bo5. my entire argument was that bo5 women's GS is never ever going to happen, if anything they change men to bo3.

Yeah, I read your previous posts, but going best of three for men is so absurd I couldn't help but react. At least trying to go best of 5 in women draws would be much more interesting IMO, even if there are several things in the way of such a change.

Ricker

That was a good set of tennis

E: Federer played well today

Well yes,score makes it look like it was easy but it was closer then that....

Speaking of the Women fitness side of things,Muguruza seems like another that's been bothered by injuries a lot lately,she had to retire again today aginst Woz after one set...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Well,score makes it look like it was easy but it was closer then that....

Speaking of the Women fitness side of things,Muguruza seems like another that's been bothered by injuries a lot lately,she had to retire again today aginst Woz after one set...

Eh, Roger was pretty much dictating the whole match. Blew a few early BP and really only struggled when serving for the set. First set started somewhat close, but the second was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Sucks that Delpo keeps getting tough opponents so early.

leng jai

As well as Federer is playing right now, he really lucked out with the timing of his resurgence. I guess it makes up for all those losses to Djokovic in 2014/2015. Would be funny if he made it back to number 1.

Diamond

As well as Federer is playing right now, he really lucked out with the timing of his resurgence. I guess it makes up for all those losses to Djokovic in 2014/2015. Would be funny if he made it back to number 1.

His resurgence has been going on since the second part of 2014 (even if there was that injury pause last year and a mediocre 2015 start), as you pointed out. With Djokovic out of the picture he could have won 3 or 4 slams in this period. I would call it consistency first, luck second. If the others can't keep up... That's exactly what Novak managed to do this past few years. It's primarily their work paying off. Managing to stay fit, motivated and efficient when the others can't also has to be recognized, it's a big part of the game which hard data like head to heads struggle to appropriately illustrate.

Omzz

What a point lol. Although fed was too laid back about it and could have easily lost it

Meanwhile wawrinka isn't doing so hot

Shame Wawa didn't pick up a few more points here. I was hoping he could pick up a career best no.2 ranking this year and he has until the USO to do so (unless he defends that title ofc.)

That being said, i like this Zverev guy. He can hopefully send Kyrgios packing.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nishikori's done it seems. Fognini is having a good tourney.

Think he drops down to 7th since he was defending finals points too. Clearly seemed hampered by something or another, but seems like that's always the case.

Godnini is looking for another shot at Nadal ;P

Am i too greedy to hope for another Federer win over Nadal?

::

The Big 5 will be holding the top 5 spots after this tournament:

1. Murray
2. Djokovic
3. Wawa
4. Nadal
5. Federer

(4/5 depends on who does better in this tournament)

50 slams right there, everyone else: 2.

90s kids keep being useless.

clemenx

Banned
The monstars took some skills in the last changeover to both it seems. Hilarious couple of games.

And as I say that Fed hits a crazy winner.

Top Bottom