• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tequila Works announces Deadlight: Director's Cut for PC, PS4 & XB1; out June 21st

I was surprised how much hate Deadlight got in the previous Rime thread. Wasn't the best "cinematic" platformer I've ever played but certainly not something on the same level as the Flashback remake. Maybe it's just the lack of games in that genre but I ended up enjoying Deadlight myself.

i actually really liked it as well

Famassu

I know whenever there's a remaster people ask themselves "who asked for this," but this might actually be the first time that literally no one asked for this.

I liked Deadlight, but there's no reason for this to exist at all.
The question is, why not? If it's an enjoyable game, why should it be contained to its existing platforms without giving more people the possibility to enjoy it? Even if there isn't some frothing demand for it, that doesn't mean smaller games like this should just disappear into oblivion and never be released again for more modern hardware. I haven't played this. It looks interesting so I might try it out now since it's coming to PS4.

Best thing about the game was the main title score . Could listen to that all day , in fact the whole game starts off really well but it falls apart in the second half , if they have spent any time fixing those second half levels then it might be worth a look.

I always loved the gfx and the flashback style gameplay it was more the terrible second half that brings its quality down .

chadskin

Updated the OP with the press release that has a bit more info on the remaster:

Created in collaboration between Tequila Works and Abstraction Games, Deadlight: Directors Cut will deliver the definitive Deadlight cinematic experience on June 21, 2016 for $19.99.

Making its debut on PlayStation consoles, Deadlight: Directors Cut enhances the survival platformer on all systems in every way including: superior controls, new animations and full 1080p resolution. Featuring a brand new game mode, the ‘Survival Arena’ will be one of the toughest zombie challenges yet.

I liked Deadlight a lot and I think you will too if you like clunky, heavy, realistic-physics platformers like the early Prince of Persia games. It's about the right length for the ideas it has, it's pretty speedrunnable too. I think some people are disappointed that the game is what is; that the second section didn't have enough zombies, that some of the puzzles and platforming were trial and error, that combat was clunky. I think if you know that going in and you don't mind or you actually enjoy that, you'll think a lot of the game.

It's not bad or FUBAR by any means, just that it's mechanically a bit clunky with average platforming. A good title nonetheless for it's time.

It's perfectly fine for them to release this on platforms where it didn't see the light, like PlayStation for example. Though an Xbox One release is also not a bad thought, they should have brought this to Android, iOS, Mac & Linux already. Even the Wii U as well, with an NX port when it's out. While this might sound like prejudice at first w/o seeing the additional features of this release, be it on the technical front or mechanical, I don't understand why the PC is getting this director's cut for a "definitive experience" though. Again, don't know what this offers over the vanilla release.

Also, you might find this a weird comparison but have you played Ubi's "I AM ALIVE"? This title for some reason always reminds me of being I AM ALIVE's 2.5D equivalent, without zombies of course (until the last section before departing :p)

Justinh

Okay... I keep getting this game confused with State of Decay.

I just had to look up this game on youtube to remind me what it was.

Apparently, I already have this game from Games with Gold. I don't think I played it more than half-an-hour.

LQX

Deadlight to me is such an underrated game. I love the atmosphere. I hope it does well this time around being that Zombie games have caught on more.

dr_rus

Wow, full 1080p resolution, finally. I felt that the game was lacking when I've played it in 3840x2160.

Ridley327

Deadlight to me is such an underrated game. I love the atmosphere. I hope it does well this time around being that Zombie games have caught on more.

Deadlight came out when zombies were arguably at their most popular. It came out less than a year after Dead Island did a million its first month and the second season of The Walking Dead was setting records for cable programming,

brau

I know whenever there's a remaster people ask themselves "who asked for this," but this might actually be the first time that literally no one asked for this.

The reason is that they need cash to fund Rime. Specially now that they are not funded and might be looking for a new publisher.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I feel like the only person who liked Deadlight.

Once you turn off the stupid object highlighting it felt like an old school cinematic platformer ala Out of the World or Flashback.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I know. The orig game....the art style...whats to remaster?

GavinUK86

Is the game any good, even?

Yeah it's pretty good. I enjoyed my time with it.

Man I feel like the only person who liked Deadlight.

Once you turn off the stupid object highlighting it felt like an old school cinematic platformer ala Out of the World or Flashback.

No, I did too. I thought it was pretty solid. It's like a pre-The Last of Us sidescroller. I'd buy a remaster of it on Steam if it's priced right. I wonder if owners of the original will get a discount.

Jito

Banned
Oh no thank you, I thought it was ok , it didn't live up to the potential on show and I recall it having a crap ending.

jediyoshi

I could not get over how bad this game was to play. The only redeeming quality is its art. Everything from the player handling to its narrative almost left me more confused than frustrated. The storytelling would literally be better if you stripped out all voice acting because oh god that voice acting.

MrDaravon

This game was such an incredible chore to play, one of those games where I finished it by but hour two I had no idea why I was continuing to play it. It has some good art but that's about it. There is some random as fuck stuff in the back half of that game, and I saw the plot twist coming from a million miles away. I got this for free and felt ripped off.

Deadlight is pretty, but it controls like shit and the helicopter sequence was real bad. Despite my middling opinion of it, I was curious to see what they'd do next. Not so optimistic anymore.

Wil348

Face your fears, or face death in the newly announced Deadlight: Directors Cut from Deep Silver, launching this summer on consoles and PC. Deadlight, the iconic zombie experience rises once more, spreading its deadliest infection yet to PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC. Created in collaboration between Tequila Works and Abstraction Games, Deadlight: Directors Cut will deliver the definitive Deadlight cinematic experience on June 21, 2016 for $19.99.

We going AAA now.

timmyp53

Hope they aren't hoping to pad Rime development cost with this. Cancelled game incoming.

Edit: I'm dumb being published by someone else.

Top Bottom