• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Governor Abbott calls for amendments to U.S. Constitution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the amendments it's now clear he's just salty about gay marriage.

Ironically his 7 out of 9 requirement to strike down a law would pretty well preserve Obamacare.

It sounds more like he doesn't want the Supreme Court overturning laws that are enacted by voters of a state.

Like someone said, he is really salty about gay marriage.

Presumably the amendment would be more than 1 line of text. Like, I don't think it would say "Amendment 46: The budget must always be balanced". There would be, you know, additional stuff. Like perhaps "except in times of an active war declared by congress". If you think about it for more than half a second you can probably come up with some more exceptions.

I prefer economic policy not be written in stone. Balanced budget requirements are why states have to make massive budget cuts to social programs during economic downturns instead of doing what we did after the '07 recession - spend a buttload of money even if 2/3 of the populace doesn't necessarily want too (because neither the stimulus or Dodd-Frank or anything other positive thing that Obama passed that would've added to the debt would've gotten 2/3 support).

Compare what has happened in the US in the past seven or eights compared to what European governments have had to do because of the GDP to debt requirements of the EU.

Because they are not bound by the same obligations to pay them back, and they are not bound by the same restrictions under which they are eligible to take out a loan. Sure, I can get a mortgage. But I can't get new mortgages every year while sitting on my old mortgages and not paying them back.

Sure, you can, if you prove your economy (ie. your future wealth) is many, many, many times the debt you want to create.

The statements on trying to limit the Supreme Court's power frustrates me. The whole point of the Judicial branch is for there to be impartial, legal analysis of the country's laws and the Constitution. The day you allow the popular vote to override the court is the day this country is finally and truly finished.

The real problem, I think, is that it's solely a presidential duty to nominate new justices. Why isn't this a process of the bar association? The bar association should be able to determine the pool of justices from which the president can make their choice, instead of trusting that the president would nominate a justice on their legal merits alone.

Xe4

Banned
I guess this is the full list of nine?

1. Prohibit Congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one State.
  2. Require Congress to balance its budget.
  3. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from creating federal law.
  4. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from preempting state law.
  5. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
  6. Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law.
  7. Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Constitution.
  8. Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.
  9. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a federal law or regulation.

Some of those sound good. Others, lol. I can tell that the seven justice majority state law thing was made because of the gay marriage thing, and the federal agencies was because of the EPA.

Also he's giving a lot of power to the states because he dislikes the federal gubmint getting rid of bigoted practices in the south and in conservative states.

The one thing I do agree with is that the Supreme Court right now has waaaaayyyy too much power.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I live in Texas, I feel states should not act as independent countries like he seems to want. The last thing we ever want to become is like the EU. Id rather see less state level laws.

neshcom

Banned
Instead of mandating budget balancing, why not just advocate for moderation in spending or giving up military spending?

Or is it a back-door method to get Congressional budgets passed that have tacked-on amendments?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm sure its not convenient at all that all of these proposals require flyover states with nobody in them to have equal power to California

MartyStu

Some of those sound good. Others, lol. I can tell that the seven justice majority state law thing was made because of the gay marriage thing, and the federal agencies was because of the EPA.

Also he's giving a lot of power to the states because he dislikes the federal gubmint getting rid of bigoted practices in the south and in conservative states.

The one thing I do agree with is that the Supreme Court right now has waaaaayyyy too much power.

The ones that sound good do so because they are already a thing.

Armaros

Instead of mandating budget balancing, why not just advocate for moderation in spending or giving up military spending?

Or is it a back-door method to get Congressional budgets passed that have tacked-on amendments?

Republicans expect to be in power so they can use balanced budget as an exuse to gut all welfare and other federal systems they do not like.

ivysaur12

Banned
camron-you-mad.jpg

Republicans expect to be in power so they can use balanced budget as an exuse to gut all welfare and other federal systems they do not like.

Except they will still run a deficit. In fact, I would wager that the federal deficit would actually rise under a Republican President.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It doesn't "finally" open the door. The door is already open. Amendments are already a thing that can happen, he's just proposing 9 new ones.

Requiring a balanced budget doesn't sound that bad to me though. Almost seems like common sense. What's the argument against requiring a balanced budget?
Debt is not connotatively speaking a liability when you can print your own money. No matter the state the country is in it always has the ability to pay off its debts completely and at any time. Debt is used by the government to expand the economy by spending more then it collects, thus putting additional money into circulation both liquid and in terms of assets

giga

Outside of abolishing the Federal Reserve and restoring the gold standard, a balanced budget amendment might be the most inane economic policy proposal I've heard from an elected official. Flexible fiscal policy is there to battle business cycles. This is basic macro.

Outside of abolishing the Federal Reserve and restoring the gold standard, a balanced budget amendment might be the most inane economic policy proposal I've heard from an elected official. Flexible fiscal policy is there to battle business cycles. This is basic macro.

He studied Finance in college too. He should know better.

MartyStu

I have always wondered...how i restoring the gold standard even supposed to work?

American money would essentially become useless after this, no?

pgtl_10

It doesn't "finally" open the door. The door is already open. Amendments are already a thing that can happen, he's just proposing 9 new ones.

Requiring a balanced budget doesn't sound that bad to me though. Almost seems like common sense. What's the argument against requiring a balanced budget?

Greece

LOL. Good luck with constitutional amendments in 2016 America.

I mean, on the one hand, the political landscape making constitutional amendments all but impossible is harming one of the most fundamental aspects of malleability of the government. Not to say it should be easy to amend it, but the magnitude of partisanship makes it practically impossible.

On the other, there's no chance Abbott wants to use these amendments for anything good.

It's always cute to see people try to equate the economics of the government of the United fucking States to the same principles as a checkbook of a household.

Meier

A lot of people outside of Texas have no clue how fucking awful this guy is. He makes Perry look positively wonderful.

Tigress

Isn't the constitution supposed to gaurentee basic rights? Not do stuff like demand the congress balance the budget.

It's supposed to be a check to keep states from over reaching basic rights. Not a lawbook for the federal government.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Isn't the constitution supposed to gaurentee basic rights? Not do stuff like demand the congress balance the budget.

It's supposed to be a check to keep states from over reaching basic rights. Not a lawbook for the federal government.
Yeah

I mean, on the one hand, the political landscape making constitutional amendments all but impossible is harming one of the most fundamental aspects of malleability of the government. Not to say it should be easy to amend it, but the magnitude of partisanship makes it practically impossible.

On the other, there's no chance Abbott wants to use these amendments for anything good.

Well that's kinda my point. We all sing songs about founding fathers but the reality is, the constitution they agreed upon and the ways to amend it were already pretty tough for 13 colonies much less present day America, but not like they had a lot of options themselves.

The size of the country, the diversity of opinion and partisan lines pretty much guarantees that moving forward, it will be almost impossible to add any meaningful amendments to the constitution and we will be stuck with a 300 year old piece of paper written by bunch of old white men that is considered sacred.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Let me interpet these amendments

1. Prohibit Congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one State. -- dont mess w texas (and our racist voting laws)

2. Require Congress to balance its budget. -- cut entitlements for the poors

3. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from creating federal law. -- fuck the fcc and epa

4. Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from preempting state law. -- fuck the fcc and epa

5. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision. -- end abortion and gay marriage plz

6. Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law. -- make the supreme court useless

7. Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Constitution. -- he cant keep getting away with it.gif

8. Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds. -- because of the amendments above state laws > federal laws let us be racist

9. Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a federal law or regulation. -- we cant win the presidency any more so allow the state governments to wrestle power away from the federal

In other words:

Fuck minorities
Fuck gays
Fuck abortion
Shift power to all the crazy local governments

Ri'Orius

Because they are not bound by the same obligations to pay them back, and they are not bound by the same restrictions under which they are eligible to take out a loan. Sure, I can get a mortgage. But I can't get new mortgages every year while sitting on my old mortgages and not paying them back.

The government always pays back its loans, on time. Often it does that by taking out new loans, but said new loans are always voluntarily given by the lenders at agreed-upon terms.

Essentially it's paying your credit card bill by taking out a new credit card. Now, as you do this, you get progressively worse rates on new credit cards as lenders see you as less reliable. And yeah, if the US government goes crazy with deficit spending, that'll happen to it, too. Exactly how that happens depends entirely on the whims of lenders and their confidence in the US economy.

The Constitution is a lawbook for the federal government. It details the major branches, offices, how they'll be elected or appointed, what powers they have, etc.

Now, the first ten amendments to the Constitution are collectively known as the Bill of Rights, because they were intended to enumerate certain basic rights the government can't deny without due process. But amendments since then have made other changes to the government (eg changing how Senators are selected: they used to be elected by state legislatures rather than voters; or changing the dates when Presidents' terms are ended).

So no, the Constitution isn't supposed to be limited to rights enumeration.

collige

Banned
The funniest part about all this is that Amendent #5 would essentially allow Congress to ignore the other 8 amendments anyway.

Congress passes an unbalanced budget -> Supreme Court strikes it down as unconstitutional -> Congress overrides Supreme Court and passes unbalanced budget anyway.

Somnid

Trade you for eliminating the 2nd amendment. But the Constitution is something we should probably revisit every so often so I'm not opposed to changing it.

aeolist

Banned
note that he wants most of these because republicans control so many state governments and it would make them basically dictators

Prohibit Congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one State.
Require Congress to balance its budget.
Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from creating federal law.
Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from preempting state law.
Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.
Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law.
Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Constitution.
Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.
Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a federal law or regulation.

Yeah, half of these seem stupid, half seem unnecessary, and half seem crazy. No thank you.

aliengmr

Prohibit Congress from regulating activity that occurs wholly within one State.

Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from creating federal law.

Prohibit administrative agencies—and the unelected bureaucrats that staff them—from preempting state law.

Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a U.S. Supreme Court decision.

Require a seven-justice super-majority vote for U.S. Supreme Court decisions that invalidate a democratically enacted law.

Restore the balance of power between the federal and state governments by limiting the former to the powers expressly delegated to it in the Constitution.

Give state officials the power to sue in federal court when federal officials overstep their bounds.

Allow a two-thirds majority of the States to override a federal law or regulation.

Translation:
Ban abortion.
Ban gay marriage
Ban the EPA and any other federal agencies.
Eliminate any ability the Supreme Court has in deciding any partisan issue.
And Texas.

Nista

I love that he seems to think states are like levels in a videogame, wholly self-contained within those magic borders and their actions and policies don't affect their neighbors in the slightest.

I really feel bad for my relatives in Texas having this loon as a governor.

injurai

Banned
Some of these things don't sound bad in theory, but States don't really protect their people nearly as well as the federal government does for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom