• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texture Pop In

Ironclad

Some people are complaining about the texture pop in regarding Halo 2. Could anybody be so kind as to explain what "texture pop in" is?

COCKLES

being watched
Seems to be some confusion here.

Texture pop in is where the textures load in after the model has been displayed.

Halo 2 has instances where the 'zone' between a far off polybump model and it's more detailed near-version don't quite synch in quick enough. I guess this is a limiation of technology more then anything....I will imagine with Xenon, PS3 ect the machines will ahve so much memory that multiple detail levels of textures can be stored...so the 'jump won't be as apparant.

One things for sure, the Polybumps sure make a difference to the Covenant. Go back and play Halo 1...they just look flat and lifeless in comparison.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The closer you get to an object the more detailed it gets. It's very very apparent in games like GTA: Vice City, San Andreas, Project Gotham 2, Colin McRae Rally 3, All PS2 WRC games and many others. Halo 1 had this also. Look downwards as you walk and you'll notice the textures of the grass filling in right in front of you. It's a technique used to maintain high frame rates.

MrparisSM

Banned
thorns said:
i predict that it will soon be the latest straw that halo haters will grasp at.

Me too. That's why I was reluctant to answer his question. I thought it was Flame Bait....

Ironclad

MrparisSM said:
Me too. That's why I was reluctant to answer his question. I thought it was Flame Bait....
Sorry about that. I wasn't trolling at all. Just wanted to know what texture pop in was, and now I do.

Ranger X

ok so it's not really texture pop-in but more like an apparent redraw while playing the game. This stuff is normal.

ced

I questioned it in the impressions thread because it seems to be the only obvious flaw in a very polished engine.

My point was that it occurs during the cinematics, and it is pretty bad. I was curious how this could happen, I always thought the cinematics were in a controled enviroment, and almost pre rendered in a sense.

Ironclad

ced said:
I questioned it in the impressions thread because it seems to be the only obvious flaw in a very polished engine.

My point was that it occurs during the cinematics, and it is pretty bad. I was curious how this could happen, I always thought the cinematics were in a controled enviroment, and almost pre rendered in a sense.
Hmm. I guess the cinematics are rendered using the in-game engine. Similar to Metroid Prime.

Joe

JERRY: She likes the pop-in. I've told her how I hate the pop-in. (pointing to George) He likes the pop-in, too.

GEORGE: I just popped in now. I'm a big pop-in guy.

JERRY: Yeah.

GEORGE: How 'bout Kramer.

JERRY: HUGE pop-in guy!

Pimpbaa

I think some of you are confusing level of detail and mip mapping. The sudden change in detail of the models in halo 2 is level of detail (used to maintain framerates). And the grass getting more detailed when it is close to you in halo 1 (and 2) that alphasnake mentioned is mip mapping (which is used to eliminate texture shimmering).

pj

Banned
I think it's weird that this problem didn't exist in the e3 2003 cutscene, but suddenly showed up in the mtv exclusive clip (they're basically the same scene). Hopefully that footage was just as old as everything else in that stupid show.

ced

Pimpbaa said:
I think some of you are confusing level of detail and mip mapping. The sudden change in detail of the models in halo 2 is level of detail (used to maintain framerates). And the grass getting more detailed when it is close to you in halo 1 (and 2) that alphasnake mentioned is mip mapping (which is used to eliminate texture shimmering).

Well yes, its the high detail poly bump texture coming in, so I guess that falls under LOD.

I dont know the technical term for it, I was just surprised to see so obviously in the cinematics.

If you watched the cinematic for the second level , which was shown on MTV last night, you would have seen it. The weirdest part being the scene where your looking across the back of a scarab, and it just suddenly appears out of nowhere.

paul777

Banned
You should see this in Killzone. I come up to an NPC and his face will remain an undetailed, blurry blob for about 3-4 seconds before it becomes detailed.

Ironclad

paul777 said:
You should see this in Killzone. I come up to an NPC and his face will remain an undetailed, blurry blob for about 3-4 seconds before it becomes detailed.
Man, that sounds terrible.

3phemeral

AlphaSnake said:
The closer you get to an object the more detailed it gets. It's very very apparent in games like GTA: Vice City, San Andreas, Project Gotham 2, Colin McRae Rally 3, All PS2 WRC games and many others. Halo 1 had this also. Look downwards as you walk and you'll notice the textures of the grass filling in right in front of you. It's a technique used to maintain high frame rates.

That's LOD and Mip Mapping. Lower Poly models for distance shots, higher poly models for closeup shots. Mip-mapping refers to smaller, less detailed textures utilized for when the camera is the furthest from it, while the most hi-res memory intensive textures are used for close camera shots. Depending on the distance of the camera, the texture is interpolated between the low-res and hi-res shot for mid-distance viewing -- usually more than just two texture samples are used, though.

I'd agree with Cockles about the texture pop-in, where the texture is suddenly loads onto an object when it reaches a certain render point. I think it's the same idea when you have objects that pop-in when they reach a certain distance from the camera, so the machine doesn't have to render so much and they can keep a consistent frame rate.

COCKLES

being watched
I think this generation is reaching it's max out limit now. There will still be zowers games, like Tecmos stuff. But from most devs....and probably more true of Xbox given it's PC heritage...what we're seeing now will be as good as it gets. I'd love to see Tecmo do a FPSer though with their graphic engine tech.

Artistic wise I'd say Halo 2 >> Riddick.

Technology wise, Riddick >> Halo 2.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The LOD in Halo 2 does suck based on the footage I've seen but I don't think LOD is the issue in that scene in the GIF. Normally with LOD objects get more detailed as they move closer to the camera and that is hardly the case there.

Gattsu25

Banned
3pheMeraLmiX said:
That's LOD and Mip Mapping. Lower Poly models for distance shots, higher poly models for closeup shots. Mip-mapping refers to smaller, less detailed textures utilized for when the camera is the furthest from it, while the most hi-res memory intensive textures are used for close camera shots. Depending on the distance of the camera, the texture is interpolated between the low-res and hi-res shot for mid-distance viewing -- usually more than just two texture samples are used, though.

was about to post a similar response.

would also like to interject that the XBox's mipmapping 'distance' is to close to the screen :b

Blimblim

The Inside Track
MrparisSM said:
Where did that come from? LOD is losing detail as you move AWAY from the camara....
The LOD issues in the Halo 2 cutscenes are only visible after a scene/camera angle change. It's like it's going too quickly for the Xbox to refresh everything. Very weird, but that's about the only technical flaw of the game.
As far as I can tell the cutscenes are also used to copy the next level to the hard drive, so maybe that's the main issue. Copying BIG files quickly + rendering some incredible looking models with full bump mapping and self shadowing could be a bit much for a 4 year old hardware.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Those are all from cinematics. The pop is caused by the predictive loading - the game gets the Space Stattion textures etc from one part of the DVD/cache, then loads a Covenant scene from another. The payoff is practically no loading. And it also keeps you knee deep in the engine.

COCKLES

being watched
Anyone played it from HDD yet? Plenty of Xbox games that have issues with stutters ect get magically cured when played from a faster source. DVD can't transfer data fast enough to cope.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Stinkles said:
Those are all from cinematics. The pop is caused by the predictive loading - the game gets the Space Stattion textures etc from one part of the DVD/cache, then loads a Covenant scene from another. The payoff is practically no loading. And it also keeps you knee deep in the engine.
Thanks for the confirmation, that's what I was suspecting. An option to have loadings instead of texture issues would have made some haters shut up, but personally I don't really care that much.

LowTecky

I think the best example of this would be Sim City 4 (when you zoom in). Anyone who has played it should understand immediately.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Insertia said:
whoah, that looks awful.

is this real?
Yup, but what this GIF does not show is that only the first few frames of the scene have this issue. It's still a bit too much of course, but not as bad as this looks here. Without this issue the cutscenes would have been the most amazing realtime footage I'd have ever seen on any console. In fact it's still the most amazing, but it's not as perfect as it could have been.

Shompola

Banned
LowTecky said:
I think the best example of this would be Sim City 4 (when you zoom in). Anyone who has played it should understand immediately.

That is how LOD is normally implemented. But Halo 2 cut scens is different. Layers upon layers are placed onto the model as the model goes far away. Somebody just explained about loading issues and it makes sense now.

-=::[Eagle-Vision]::=- said:
That's not a texture LOD or even a mipmap bug but more a problem with the multipass rendering. The model gets a series of textures applied to it that comprise it's detail and effects which appears to get screwed up in that shot, all layering in serparately instead of being applied simultaneously, for whatever reason.

bitwise

Banned
COCKLES said:
Anyone played it from HDD yet? Plenty of Xbox games that have issues with stutters ect get magically cured when played from a faster source. DVD can't transfer data fast enough to cope.

yes. it still happens, i definately wouldn't use the word "stuttering" that, that implies some type of freezing, which is not the case.

anyways, as others have said, this is in countless games. I do know its about the only thing you can "ding" halo2 for, so you can expect to hear it alot over the coming year.

Floyd

I have seen halo 2 and this texture pop in is much more apparent this time than it was with Halo. Its mainly on the dead enemies scattered around, they morph and change shape and detail in front of your eyes as you walk toward or away from them.

It's apparent but it isn't off putting. But no doubt your going to hear alot about it from graphics whores.

Floyd said:
I have seen halo 2 and this texture pop in is much more apparent this time than it was with Halo. Its mainly on the dead enemies scattered around, they morph and change shape and detail in front of your eyes as you walk toward or away from them.

It's apparent but it isn't off putting. But no doubt your going to hear alot about it from graphics whores.

Probably, stupid though. GTA:SA has some major texture pop-in, its no biggie in the end...

Burger

Halo is played off the HDD wether or not you have copied the game onto the HDD. It decompresses your current MAP file into the HDD Cache, thats what the big loading screen with the HALO2 logo does.

Halo 2's LOD sucks:
popup.gif

oh god. And they let this slip past quality control / bug test? That's REALLY awful. :(

No biggy to me, its a glimpse into the next generation in consoles. Although you want have the pop in. It really just shows the ambition and the desire to create the ultimate package.

pj

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
Halo 2's LOD sucks:
popup.gif

oh god. And they let this slip past quality control / bug test? That's REALLY awful. :(

Don't be silly, that's not in the final game. They're just showing what it would look like on ps2, then what it would look like on gc and finally what it looks like on xbox....

FightyF

Banned
That's not a texture LOD or even a mipmap bug but more a problem with the multipass rendering. The model gets a series of textures applied to it that comprise it's detail and effects which appears to get screwed up in that shot, all layering in serparately instead of being applied simultaneously, for whatever reason.

Heheh, thanks. So many replies and no one knew what it was.

The problem has nothing to do with the textures themselves (the base texture and their lower res representations), but the timing of when they appear. It occurs at inconsistant distances, and not at the appropriate distances. You get the impression that things are getting spooled and things need to catch up.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Fight for Freeform said:
Heheh, thanks. So many replies and no one knew what it was.

The problem has nothing to do with the textures themselves (the base texture and their lower res representations), but the timing of when they appear. It occurs at inconsistant distances, and not at the appropriate distances. You get the impression that things are getting spooled and things need to catch up.
You could also have just read Stinkle's post, since he works for Bungie I'd say he's the best source of information about this we'll ever get ;)

miyuru

Stinkles said:

You forgot how sloppy it looks.

Then again, I don't know how much loading time you're saving on, so maybe it's worth it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
miyuru said:
You forgot how sloppy it looks.

Then again, I don't know how much loading time you're saving on, so maybe it's worth it.

Basically as long as you play the game from beginning to end, there will be only one main load time and millions of little ones (half second pauses just like the first game)

Top Bottom