• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texture Pop In

Blimblim

The Inside Track
TheGreenGiant said:
I know this is going to get me a world of pain. But... does the problem go away if you pop Halo 2 all onto the HDD?
There is something called "reading the topic before asking a question" that you may find interesting once in a while. And the answer is no.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yes it looks odd and jars during cutscenes. But is no-one bothering to point out just how fucking gorgeous the cutscenes are? The single most impressive bit of real time 3D rendering I have ever seen on any platform. Simply staggering.

I'd (almost) settle for that level of quality at a faster framerate next gen.

Sander

Slower version:

popup.gif

CoryCubed

Wasn't Dreamcast real bad about this as well? Sounds like something I remember in Sonic Adventure that always threw me off.

Kon Tiki

Banned
That is a lot better. The fast one was giving me a headache. It is only bothersome in large areas. You will never notice it in
small tight levels
. Halo 2 looks damn sexy in the later levels.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I've just been told that there are much fewer texture issues in my video than in the leaked version. Can anyone confirm ?

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Maybe it depends on the age/quality of the DVD player? Has anyone tested if a new Xbox/DVD has the problem less then an old one?

I mean this has to be noticed by bungie for sure during their testing, it's a consession they had to make. Myself I wouldnt have minded a 2 second black fade-in to cover it up.

Kobold

TheGreenGiant said:
you can actually see 2 stages of pop in. :O
First is the model, second is the painted (flat) texture, then comes the bump maps which give the depth. :)

Kon Tiki

Banned
Kobold said:
First is the model, second is the painted (flat) texture, then comes the bump maps which give the depth. :)
Stinkles, a Bungie employee, responded in this thread. Look for his post.

Kobold

Society said:
Stinkles, a Bungie employee, responded in this thread. Look for his post.
Uhhu, I saw. But that is the order in which the textures 'pop-in' in the shown GIF file. :)

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Kobold said:
Maybe it depends on the age/quality of the DVD player? Has anyone tested if a new Xbox/DVD has the problem less then an old one?

I mean this has to be noticed by bungie for sure during their testing, it's a consession they had to make. Myself I wouldnt have minded a 2 second black fade-in to cover it up.

Honestly, it's not a big deal at all. It is simply and unfortunately something people are going to nitpick, but in the end it affects the game 0%.

Burger

Kobold said:

Did you even read what I wrote earlier ??

HALO 2 is NOT played off the DVD !! It always makes sure your current level is being loaded off the HDD cache. Period.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Kobold said:
Uhhu, I saw. But that is the order in which the textures 'pop-in' in the shown GIF file. :)

Heh, Meant to quote your other post. 'I mean this has to be noticed by bungie for sure during their testing'

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Burger said:

HALO 2 is NOT played off the DVD !! It always makes sure your current level is being loaded off the HDD cache. Period.
Well, the main issue is that the level is copied from the DVD drive to the hard drive while a cutscene is rendered. So the DVD drive could change something (or not)

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Of course the issue here is people who get worked up about things like this. What's more important, the game itself as a whole or a minor technical issue? It never ceases to amaze me as to what will get people's panties in a bunch.

Every major game that releases now is under a level of scrutiny nothing can bear. This is tantamount to incessantly criticizing the original Star Wars because the lightsabers do not look perfect in every scene in every angle. "OMG, how could Lucasfilm allow that to get by the editors???"

Kobold

Burger said:

This is wat stinkles says:

'Those are all from cinematics. The pop is caused by the predictive loading - the game gets the Space Stattion textures etc from one part of the DVD/cache, then loads a Covenant scene from another. The payoff is practically no loading. And it also keeps you knee deep in the engine.'

He clearly says DVD/Cache...but okay! I'm very sorry for not reading your post sir.

Society said:
Heh, Meant to quote your other post. 'I mean this has to be noticed by bungie for sure during their testing'
Yeah, seems sloppy though, am I crazy or would a fade-in have solved such problems anyways?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I remember when Zelda Wind Waker came out in japan and we were discussing the game. I described the LoD stuff while you were sailing as "texture pop up" but everyone told me there was no such thing.

Top Bottom