• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thank Goodness You're Here | Review Thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
ePwADnOM.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Thank Goodness You're Here

Platforms:
  • PC (Aug 1, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 1, 2024)
  • Nintendo Switch (Aug 1, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Coal Supper

Publisher: Panic

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 86 average - 90% recommended

7x8av5Q.png

Metacritic - 90 average based on 14 Critic Reviews

I8pYks0.png

Critic Reviews

CGMagazine - Eduard Gafton - 7.5 / 10
For better and for worse, Thank Goodness You’re Here! is unlike anything I’ve played recently: a short and mechanically lacking “slapformer” which makes up for its imperfections thanks to a bevy of hilarious jokes and zany artistic sensibilities. The final result is a game that is both more than the sum of its parts and a loving tribute to the archetypal northern English industrial town.

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 85 / 100
Thank Goodness You’re Here! manages to deliver a comedic adventure like no other. Daring to push the envelope, the game delves into the sub-genres paying homage to the greats while carving a unique identity in the medium. Although it’s a short adventure with simplistic gameplay, the set pieces you experience are truly hilarious and will stay with you long after the runtime. So, if you’re after a proper belter, tha can’t go wrong wi’ this. Tha’ll be over the moon wi’ it!

Eurogamer - Matt Wales - 5 / 5
Developer Coal Supper's relentlessly inventive absurdist comedy might, by necessity, keep a tight rein on players, but this is an impeccably constructed masterclass in gag-telling.

Final Weapon - Noah Hunter - 4 / 5
Thank Goodness You're Here! is weird, wacky, and fascinating. This is an incredibly fun title with dozens of secrets to discover and errands to complete. With vivid hand-drawn animation and a never-ending array of humor, you should absolutely jump into the town of Barnsworth.

GAMES.CH - Jasmin Linder - German - 78%
A tribute to British culture and its unique humour, which is unfortunately over far too quickly.

GameBlast - Alexandre Galvão - Portuguese - 8.5 / 10
With an extremely easy gameplay and a very simple, ludic way to guide the player through the game narrative, Thank Goodness You're Here! manages to offer fun and memorable moments, making it an ideal recommendation for those looking for casual fun along with a good dose of humor.

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 9 / 10
Thank Goodness You're Here! is a hilarious comedy "slapformer" in which double entendres, excellent voice acting, and a vivid art style bring the north of England to life.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 9 / 10
Thank Goodness You're Here is beyond funny, it's one of the most laugh out loud hilarious games ever made that simply must be played.

Guardian - Keith Stuart - 5 / 5
In this brilliantly surreal, slapstick cartoon puzzler set in a fictitious northern town, you (a junior salesman) help an array of weird characters with odd jobs

MonsterVine - Nick Mangiaracina - 4.5 / 5
Thank Goodness You’re Here! is an incredible experience in both humor and execution. This is what a game looks like when it’s firing on all cylinders, it’s a tour de force of art, music, platforming, and puzzle solving.

Nintendo Life - Alex Olney - 9 / 10
Thank Goodness You're Here! is a brief but oh-so sweet romp into a world that simultaneously makes no sense and yet perfect sense to those familiar with British culture. Bursting with excellent humour (which is no small feat in a video game), beautiful artwork, and fantastic animation, it's a wonder the devs managed to pack as much as they did into its short runtime. Performance may not be 100% perfect on Switch, and if you've no funny bone in your body, you'll wonder what the point of it all is, but it's still some of the best and most intense fun we've had in years on Nintendo's console. Our faces hurt from laughing so much, and we don't think there's much greater praise than that.

NintendoWorldReport - Willem Hilhorst - 9 / 10
From its innuendos when milking cows, to the way the citizens interact with one another, it makes it a truly enjoyable and memorable experience. While at times the repetition of walking back and forth can set in, the game rarely drops the ball of making a joke. Give this game to your dad, neighbor or friend and watch them carefully explore what the town has to offer. I can guarantee their puzzlement will surely turn to laughter before they exclaim Thank Goodness for this Game.

Press Start - Kieron Verbrugge - 9 / 10
Thank Goodness You're Here is a succinct, spectacularly funny adventure through an absolutely atrocious fictional Northern England town, packing an obscene number of gags into a three-hour runtime and pulling off some incredible feats of no-frills game design. It's wonderfully-presented, unabashedly weird and extremely Yorkshire.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 8 / 10
Still, despite some very minor drawbacks and a potentially short-lived novelty factor, Thank Goodness You're Here! delivers exactly what it sets out to — a brilliantly twisted, unabashedly English comedy curio. If you've an appetite for this brand of off-the-wall nonsense, we can't think of a game that does it better.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Graham Smith - Unscored
Thank Goodness You're Here! is a funny, cheeky, innuendo-stuffed 2-3 hour adventure game about sausages, pies and slapped bottoms.

Saving Content - Harry Harrison - 5 / 5
If this is a part of a resurgence of the classic adventure game genre in the same way souls-likes have become the genre-to-copy, Coal Supper and Thank Goodness You’re Here! Have set the bar very very high for how to make them hilarious and engaging while keeping them at a perfect length.

Shacknews - TJ Denzer - 9 / 10
Thank Goodness You’re Here is something altogether different from most of what I’ve played in 2024, and refreshingly so. It’s most certainly a game with some puzzle-minded antics, but it feels more like a lengthy comedy special, and the slapstick absurdity of it stays refreshing with plenty of surprises and ridiculousness throughout the adventure. Even the parts I didn’t initially enjoy ultimately felt like they needed to be there because it felt like part of the joke. Even so, be prepared for some very esoteric solutions and a complete lack of guidance as you learn to adapt to the wacky way this game wants you to think.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 8 / 10
Thank Goodness You’re Here is one of the silliest and most absurd games I’ve ever played, thanks to its very British humor.

TheGamer - George Foster - 4 / 5
Even with its short length and simple gameplay, Thank Goodness still stands as one of my favourite indie games in recent memory. Thank Goodness You're Here's consistently giggle-inducing jokes and wonderful visual humour are great, but its surprisingly authentic and heartfelt interpretation of England is what made me reyt chuffed wi’it.

TheSixthAxis - Tuffcub - 7 / 10
Thank Goodness You're Here! is essentially and interactive saucy postcard from the 1980's which has clearly been made with a lot of a love and great attention to detail. Sadly the gameplay is also from the 1980's, you just run, jump and punch, but the many jokes and asides keep you thoroughly entertained while you do so.

video games are good - Nathan Hermanson - 8.5 / 10
Thank Goodness You're Here continues the legacy of great comedy games with a simple yet satisfying platformer that embraces all aspects of British comedy. We always have complicated conversations about whether or not games have to be fun, what games are allowed to do and say with their stories, and so on. Games like Thank Goodness You're Here — games that keep things simple and silly — are reminders of how joyous video games can be when they are so dedicated to making you smile, to making you laugh.

And, I mean, any game that asks you to slap as many cheeks as this deserves some love.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Came to make my own thread but might as well bump this one, shame it got no takers.

@UKGAF I can really recommend picking it up but probably on a sale, 15 quid for what's basically a 2ish hour comedy might not sit right with you - but it really is genuinely funny, don't remember the last time I laughed out loud sincerely at a game. That might be because I'm half an hour from Barnsley (Barnsworth here) so absolutely everything hits with me. Very cute, very wholesome without being saccharine, worth your time.

Markio128

Gold Member
I finished this a couple of days ago. It’s pretty funny and certainly unique! It’s very short though, so may find more of a home on either Gamepass or PS+.

Humdinger

Added to my Wishlist, thanks. I had seen it previewed and thought it looked okay but not all that great. Reviews are better than expected.

TheAssist

This game sound really fun, probably going to buy it at one point. I really like British humor. Whishlisted for the moment.

Top Bottom