• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Super Robot War OGs |OT| 2D meets HD meets giant robots! Now in Japanese!

Shouta

SRW2ndOGsOT2Logo.png

Release Date: 11/29/12 (Japan)
Developer: Banpresto
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Official Site: 第2次スーパーロボット大戦OG

Review scores:
Famitsu (Translated) - Dai-2-Ji Super Robot Taisen Original Generations (PS3) - 9/8/9/9

TVG-PS3-0969.jpg

BannerOverview.png

What is Super Robot Wars?

Super Robot Wars, or SRW, is the long-running and famous game series developed by Banpresto. It brings together gaggles of giant robots in a massive campaign involving multitudes of storylines and strategy gameplay. It typically involves characters and mecha from licensed series like Gundam or Macross, or Mazinger. Among those are an original character with an original mech and accompanying storyline for each game.

So, what’s OG?

OG stands for Original Generation. These games combine the protagonists of all the SRW games the series has had in its long history (over 20 years!) into its own series. There are no characters from licensed anime or manga. It’s all stuff that is original, hence the title.

So what's new about this game?

This is the first SRW game to be released on HD consoles meaning that the series now benefits from the increased power and resolution of the PS3. It means improved graphics with all new HD sprites and effects, major advances in cut-in animation, high quality music, and of course updated gameplay. Check out the HD trailers in the media section!

Is this the 2nd game in the OG series?

Technically, this is the 4th game in the series. OG1 and OG2 were released on the GBA in 2002 and 2005 (in Japan). Those two games were later combined and remade on the PS2 into Original Generations. After that game came Original Generations Gaiden which is a side story game that although isn’t “relevant” to the main plot, is still a part of the series. Then there is this game. It’s a sequel to the PS2 version, which is considered one game, hence why this is called “The 2nd Super Robot Wars OGs”

What SRW game does this cover?

It covers several games. The biggest chunks will be SRW Alpha 2 and SRW EX (or The Lord of Elemental/Masou Kishin). Those two will likely form a large back bone to the story. SRW MX, SRW D, Real Robot Regiment, and the Lost Children manga (or at least a character) will also be covered. More story for SRW Alpha 3 protagonist Touma Kanou will also be in the game. Additionally, much of the cast from the first OGs and Gaiden are back as well including the SRW R, SRW A, and Compatible Kaiser protagonists are in.

There are supposedly some surprises still as well!

Are there English subtitles or text?

Probably not. Most Japanese games don’t and the one exception (Persona 4 Arena) got region-locked.

So, will there be a localization?

Tough question, but I doubt it. SRW isn’t popular enough in America to make it worth the investment and the last PS2 OGs game got passed up. If it does make it here, YOU SHOULD BUY IT. If it doesn’t, time to learn Japanese.

BannerSystem.png

Twin Battle System

060.jpg
063.jpg

Not a new system but it’s been changed a bit compared to OGs. You can set the units during the intermission now instead of pairing them on the field and there is no morale requirement. You may also form units on the field if you need to.
When you attack paired up enemies in Twin mode, you can either have your units each fight one of the enemies or focus your attack on unit. You may also have one of your units (typically the “lead” of the pair) do attack both of the enemies with an All-Hitting attack.

Maximum Break

033.jpg
032.jpg

This is a new attack limited to certain pilots. When the conditions are met, this allows a unit, with the support of 3 other units , to attack the enemy in one long sequence before they’re able to counterattack. It starts with an All-Out assault using the 4 units’ support weapons then moves into individual attacks for the leader’s pair then the support pairs for a grand total of 5 attacks.

Combination Attacks

049.jpg
052.jpg
050.jpg
051.jpg

Not a new system, as it was in the GBA version but it wasn’t available in the PS2 remake. This allows a unit with the correct skill and a proper weapon to hit multiple enemies that are adjacent to each other. You suffer a penalty in damage for every enemy after the first but the Energy or Ammo requirements are the same as attacking one enemy. This provides a viable method of fighting multiple enemies when you aren’t using MAP attacks. Unlike other iterations, as long as the enemies are in adjacent squares, you can attack them as opposed to requiring the enemies to be in a straight line.

Ability Slots

002.jpg

New to this game, each character and unit is given 3 slots to equip abilities to. When you equip 3 plates of the same type, it activates that ability and provides bonuses to that unit. This slot system works in with the Twin System allowing you a maximum of 12 slots. You can even swap units mid-battle to activate different skills. However, only the first activation counts. You cannot equip 6 of the same plate to get double the effect. These bonuses include attack power, defense, attack range, a variety of others.

Others

Weapon Select, Weapon Upgrades, Pilot Skills, Team-Up Attacks, and Unit Loadouts are back though there are a few changes.

Weapon upgrades are different now in that it is a mix of OGs and a series like Alpha or MX. Individual weapons that you equip have their own upgrade while all of a unit’s unique weapons are linked and only require one upgrade.

It’s been awhile but unlike the PS2 OGs, Hard mode also increases the number of enemies or makes some enemies twin units where they would be non-existent or single units on Normal.

Bannercharacter.png

There are so many characters and robots in this game that it’d be hard to list them all and summarize it. However, there are some new characters and several key characters that you should know about for this game as they’ll be a big part of the story.

ArtJosh.png
ArtAile.png

Joshua Radcliffe
Mecha: Aile Chevalier

Josh is the protagonist of SRW D. His father, Felio Radcliffe, is a scientist and archaeologist studying a mysterious ruins found at the South Pole. From the technology found there, his father builds the Aile Chevalier and asks Josh to be the test pilot despite not being affiliated with the military. He has a sister-in-law named Cliana Rimskaya.

ArtCliana.png
ArtBlanche.png

Cliana Rimskaya
Mecha: Blanche Neige

Cliana is Josh’s sister-in-law. She also went to the South Pole to aid in researching the technology found there. However, as a result of Felio’s experiements on her in order to replicate a certain system, it shatters her psyche and creates two separate personalities, Chris and Riana. These two personalities are actually aware of each other and can speak to one another. When piloting the Blanche Neige, Riana handles most of the work.

ArtAriel.png
ArtFlickerei.png

Ariel Org
Mecha: Flickerei Geist

A woman with a calculating, logical approach and a body tougher than any normal person, Ariel made her first appearance in the PS2 game, Real Robot Regiment. Her robot is the Flickerei Geist is a test model that was considered a failure and scrapped. It now uses parts from other robots which is why it looks like such an odd robot. It has the Revolving Stake and the linked Arm-mounted machineguns similar to the Alt Eisen, or it may even be its old parts.

Ing.png
ArtAshe.png

Ing
Mecha: Ashe

A quiet boy of few words, he escaped from Aidoneus Island. The area had been sealed off as a result of all the events that occurred around it. He has a sharp, almost unnatural affinity for combat in mecha. He has psychodriver abilities but aside from that, his past and who he is is wrapped in mystery. He pilots an Exbein codenamed, Ashe. The unit was meant to be the test-bed for a new robot in the Huckebein series but it was seriously damaged. Supplement parts were added to what was left and this unit was born. It has a T-Link system and because of a abnormal response to Ing, he is the only person that is able to pilot it now.

Hugo.png
Aqua.png
CerbandGarm.png

Hugo Medio
Mecha: Cerberus, Garmraid

Hugo is one of the protagonists of MX where is the test pilot for the Tsentr Project’s Terminus Engine equipped-mecha. He was once a member of the Cry Wolves, a special elite unit within the military who made an appearance in OG Gaiden. He can be quick to get emotionally charged but he is typically a man of few words. The initial unit they use is the Cerberus, the “real” robot choice from MX. However, the “Super” robot version, Garmraid, is also available in the game.

Aqua Kentholm
Mecha: Cerberus, Garmraid

A Federation pilot, she is Hugo’s partner. She rides in the Cerberus, managing its systems and Terminus Energy Engine while Hugo pilots it. To aid in this, she wears the DFC suit which looks like swimwear. It gathers data and helps to manage the systems of the unit. She’s quite a cheerful person but can be a bit of scatterbrain at times.

ArtIbis.png
ArtAltairion.png

Ibis Douglas
Mecha: Altairion

Ibis is a test Pilot for Project TD, a program to create a space exploration unit. She dreamed of traveling stars and is what fueled her to undergo the intense training required to pilot the mecha. She appears in OG2 and OG Gaiden. The primary focus in those two games were to show her time in the program and the events that lead up to her primary story in Alpha 2.

img_948119_15812215_0.jpg

Cast of Masou Kishin (Lords of Elementals)

These characters are taking center stage but there are too many to individually list. These robots are from La Gias, a world deep within the Earth and developed independently from the surface. These units are imbued with the power of elemental spirits and fueled by a substance called Prana. Many people from the surface produce this energy in large amounts and many were summoned to La Gias to pilot these machines. The main character is Masaki Andoh and the Cybuster, a mainstay of the SRW series. Lune Zoldark also plays a major role. Amongst the cast new to this series to watch for, are the other 3 Elemental Lords: Goddess piloted by Tytti Noorbuck, Granveil piloted by Huang Yanlong, and Zamzeed piloted by Mio Sasuga.

Bannermedia.png

Promotional Videos - Set to high quality, lower the res if you're starving for bandwidth.

Dai 2-ji Super Robot Taisen OGs 1st PV
Dai 2-ji Super Robot Taisen OGs 2nd PV
Dai 2-ji Super Robot Taisen OGs 3rd PV
Dai 2-ji Super Robot Taisen OGs 4th PV
Dai 2-ji Super Robot Taisen OGs - Episode 1 Digest

Misc

SRW: The Inspector OP "Maxon"
SRW: The Inspector OP2 "Shooting Star Lovers"
SRW: The Inspector ED1 "Bokura no Jiyuu"
SRW: The Inspector ED1.5 " Bokura no Jiyuu"
SRW: The Inspector ED2.1 "Saigo no Tabi"
SRW: Divine Wars OP2 "Rising Force"
SRW: Divine Wars ED2 "Mou Ai Shika Iranai"

Courtesy of an anonymous Accguy troll:

idQzhIfAB1BE6.gif
i3gsi785BEaLk.gif

BannerResources.png

Akurasu’s SRW Wiki – Great resource that’ll be updated with some translated game after it’s released.
The Gate of Magus - A database of all the original characters and mecha in SRW. Information is a bit lacking but it’s the oldest and doesn’t spoil much or at all.
The Super Robot Wars Wiki – More in-depth wiki with information about the various titles and characters.
SRW Community Thread - For all your regular mecha needs.
The 2nd Super Robot War OGs - Guide Wiki - Info on the game will be placed here by the Japanese users.

Shouta

Is there even an overarching story in OG, or retelling of same beats? Surely they don't use the same mechs for decades?

It takes all of the original stories and connects them into a single universe. While a lot of it is taken from their individual games, many things are changed for OG games or there are things that are added. Ibis and Touma, for example, get more story in OGs to supplement their appearances in the Alpha games.

Always kind of disliked how the artstyle is all over the place for character in the original games. I look forward to getting this eventually. Forgot this was coming out honestly.

squall23

I'm going to predict that Kusuha will be more important to the plot than Ariel will ever be despite being not actually in the characters page of the website.

Man they've taken their sweet time to get this game out. I probably won't live to see the day when DaiRaiOh finally makes it to HD.

So, we can expect the Asia version to ship a few days earlier than the JP version? Not that it will matter that much to me considering I'm using regular shipping.

I really hope they don't half-ass the trophies, I'm still keeping an eye out for whenever they go live.

squall23

I think the Asian version usually ships the same day as the Japaense one but I could be wrong.
I think that only started happening during this gen. During the PS2 gen Asian versions were always released a few days before Japanese version.

I think that only started happening during this gen. During the PS2 gen Asian versions were always released a few days before Japanese version.
Hence my question, I've only imported Japanese versions this gen but I remember from the PS1/PS2 days Asia versions shipping earlier. Play-Asia doesn't give any precise release date so I guess we'll see.

squall23

Yeah, I've had my copy preordered since June 2011. HD assets must be hard work... or something.
Did anybody honestly think that it would've been released last September? I personally thought that the original date was just something they pulled out of their ass without actually looking at how far along they were.

Ken

Aside from the systems listed in the OP, is everything else similar to the SRW Z stuff on PSP? That's the latest SRW game I'm familiar with.

cj_iwakura

You know, Atlus could win back a metric ton of good will by publishing this.

Not like they have anything else to do on a console until Persona 5 comes out in, oh, winter 2013.

Shouta

Aside from the systems listed in the OP, is everything else similar to the SRW Z stuff on PSP? That's the latest SRW game I'm familiar with.

Yeah, most of the basic stuff will be similar to Hakai-hen and Saisei-hen. In fact, most of the stuff is from other games in some form.

Shouta

Oh, I guess the official site updated when I wasn't looking. The character sections include the Masou Kishin pilots and clearly points out the villains as well. There also a bunch of new profiles in the mecha section as well. Raioh and the Excellence Rescue along with the MK units are up.

Acosta

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!

R9yeQ.jpg

I am planning to play with the rest of you for the first time, before any FAQ, I would love to keep progress and discuss the game here. I think I will manage to figure objectives and so but I hope you don't mind if I ask around if I get stuck.

Jubern

Finally!

I preordered it at my local shop, can't wait to go pick it up... 29th is so far awaaaaay. I feel like I won't be playing much of anything else until mid to late January ahah.

Always kind of disliked how the artstyle is all over the place for character in the original games. I look forward to getting this eventually. Forgot this was coming out honestly.

I think OG games have way more consistent art style than any other recent SRW game. Since they don't have to copy the art style of the source material which is scattered over a span of several decades. You'd probably have to go all the way back to alpha with original animated sprites for every character to find a more consistent art style.

Edit: Also decided to get an OG avatar in the spirit of all of this

Leezard

So, I'm thinking of importing this. What's the difference between the Asian and the Japanese version, except the price?

Top Bottom