• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Super Robot War OGs |OT| 2D meets HD meets giant robots! Now in Japanese!

VALKYRAY

Banned
who is the main? I am at stage 5, and I dont understand anything. got whole lot of money but dont know who to upgrade. from my previous SRW experience, I should just upgrade the main character to the max because I will be using him/her in most stages.

who is it? the blonde chick without mech but an armor suit, she's the highest level on my team right now.

who is the main? I am at stage 5, and I dont understand anything. got whole lot of money but dont know who to upgrade. from my previous SRW experience, I should just upgrade the main character to the max because I will be using him/her in most stages.

who is it? the blonde chick without mech but an armor suit, she's the highest level on my team right now.

Hmmm. This is a tough question really. There really isn't a main character per other SRW like Crowe, or even Ryuusei/Kyosuke from OG1. I'd say there are a few mini-mains if anything. Masaki and Ryuune are at first, but then they're gone till the later half of the game after the SRW EX portion of the game.

Any of the characters you pick up / meet during these routes are good picks. Kyosuke/Excellen, Zengar, Leona. They are all pretty decent. And they'll be sticking with you for the game other then route splits. But like I said, the game isn't really following any one particular character.

cj_iwakura

Hmmm. This is a tough question really. There really isn't a main character per other SRW like Crowe, or even Ryuusei/Kyosuke from OG1. I'd say there are a few mini-mains if anything. Masaki and Ryuune are at first, but then they're gone till the later half of the game after the SRW EX portion of the game.

Any of the characters you pick up / meet during these routes are good picks. Kyosuke/Excellen, Zengar, Leona. They are all pretty decent. And they'll be sticking with you for the game other then route splits. But like I said, the game isn't really following any one particular character.

Lefina's in control, they just don't know it yet.

I'd say Alteisen's weapons are pretty safe bet early in the game. Basically every boss runs away, and the only way to kill them and get extra money and parts is to Max Break them. The Alteisen's pretty meh for grunt fighting though. The Giganscudo has a really good set of weapons and abilities that make it useful for the whole game, but you're pretty much forced to put accuracy and movement parts on it.

cj_iwakura

I'd say Alteisen's weapons are pretty safe bet early in the game. Basically every boss runs away, and the only way to kill them and get extra money and parts is to Max Break them. The Alteisen's pretty meh for grunt fighting though. The Giganscudo has a really good set of weapons and abilities that make it useful for the whole game, but you're pretty much forced to put accuracy and movement parts on it.

Or just use the 100% accuracy skill.

How does Max Breaking work?

Or just use the 100% accuracy skill.

How does Max Breaking work?

It's pretty hard to use, but the only way to do a ton of damage at once early game.
You need:
1) A "leader" character with a special skill (ONLY Kyosuke, Katina, Viletta, Kai have it)
2) Two twin units adjacent to each other.
3) All four units involved need 140 Will. The "leader" will lose 10 will after the attack finishes.
4) All four units need a weapon with the "F" classification (some mechs requires you the equip one) that is within range of the enemy.
5) Like a support attack, the second twin in the maximum break has to not have moved yet (still colored). The twin INITIATING the Max Break can do it post movement, just like with support attacks.

Then you have the "leader" character choose any attack, and select the special option to start a maximum break once the game prompts you to. It's effectively a twin unit followed by a support attack, except all four attacks do 100% damage and nobody needs the Support Attack skill.

You can't use "ALL" attacks or attacks causing status effects (but you can use barrier-breaking attacks). You CAN use combination attacks, provided the guys in the combination attack aren't in a twin. And the two twin units don't have to be on the same terrain.

So yeah, complicated.

Giganscudo is pretty solid choice as well, and the Alteisen's lack of flight can be corrected later on with a flight part. Siegerlion has been a gigantic help for me and one of those units that has thoroughly surprised me. There are also some other later characters you will get who are obviously going to be good. SRX is a safebet who I believe has the strongest attack in the game with the R-Gun. (Though it needs a bit of help itself.)

Ing is absolutely the main character of the game. He is a checklist of every JRPG trope for a main character you can name. Also the game goes out of it's way to prop him as cool and awesome with a ton of plot events and giving him insane stat buffs for an entire stage.

Jubern

Too bad he has as much personality as a cardbord box. Don't really like his design either and I'm not a huge fan of the
EX Exbein, which has a nice basic frame but is waaaaay too overloaded design-wise between the sliders and the huge-ass sword...

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm about 11 stages in on one starting route and almost the same on the other. Guessing they'll merge soon and the intro in LoE will get moving.

I like the game (graphics are ZOMG), but goddamn this is the most boring intro to a SRW I've ever played. In 10 maps, literally NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. There isn't even story scenes between maps like a normal SRW! It's just like a single 5 min talking scene OH LOOK BATTLE TIME then a 3 min talking scene after battle. All that has happened in 10 maps is meetup and head for the capital in LoE land. No story whatsoever and it's all LoE LoE LoE.

What makes SRW games & plots fun is how even in the OG series they're running multiple plots from all these different games at once so everything is intertwined. For the intro though, for some reason they decided to not do that and just make it like you're playing LoE with OG mechs and LoE isn't all that interesting of a plot (or much of a plot at all).

I'm sure eventually the game will take off and become a real SRW with tons of mixed subplots going at once, lots of characters, lots of story and great battles. But maaaaan is this one starting off slow. For a game that's supposed to cover all of Alpha 2, you'd think they'd get started with that. IIRC Alpha 2's main plot + the pilot's plots is a lot of material not counting J, MX, and rest of LoE, and whatever of Alpha 3's stuff they're starting on.

Shouta

A lot of Alpha 2 was covered in OG1 and OG2, at least the individual stories. The first chunk is SRW EX though and that'll end at stage 17, then go into everything else, so you'll just have to grin and bear it, really. The EX stuff wasn't exactly super exciting tbh. Ryuune/Yang Long's route is particularly bad. J isn't in the game and the rest of the LoE stuff is separate.

Bebpo

Banned
A lot of Alpha 2 was covered in OG1 and OG2, at least the individual stories. The first chunk is SRW EX though and that'll end at stage 17, then go into everything else, so you'll just have to grin and bear it, really. The EX stuff wasn't exactly super exciting tbh. Ryuune/Yang Long's route is particularly bad. J isn't in the game and the rest of the LoE stuff is separate.

Whoops, I meant D.

Still seems like the game has a lot of fluff to do 17 stages with splits of just LoE at the start.

I mean OGG only has 36 stages total, but that game was story PACKED and in 17 maps you had covered all the OG stuff with the AI bots, half of the Carnage, Compat Kaiser, and R storylines and part of MX intro. And that was a "gaiden" game.

This is a mainline title. I expect it to be packed with tons of story content. So far it just seems...padded and empty. Did we really need MORE boosted children storyline? Seems lazy.

It's always weird how they can cover 10+ full length anime storylines in a licensed SRW, yet these OG entries cover maybe 3-5 storylines total in the same amount of maps. I like OG stories and the OG mechs, but it just feels like the OG pacing is pretty slow compared to licensed SRW.

Shouta

Anime titles in SRW games are VERY condensed though and often mixed with other stories. Most titles get like 5-6 stages uniquely for them and then a bunch of jumbled ones to work it out. The writers are really good about distilling an anime into its very key moments and what interactions really define the characters, though.

OGG was interesting but it only had 3 main stories, and two half ones. Shura, Kaiser, and R were the big ones, the the human AI and MX intro were sprinkled in there on top of the end of the classic Masou Kishin story. Considering the break down, it works roughly to about 6-7 major story stages per title. R was also introduced in OGs so the introduce stages in OGG were reduced a bit.

That extra Boosted Children story is to fill out the Arado and Seolla storyline really. In fact, as far as I understand the storylines from Alpha 2, Zengar and Arado did most of their story within OG 1 and 2. So they added a bit more on to tie-in them with this game because of that.

Bebpo

Banned
So about 30 hours later, I've finished both intro paths and advanced a few stages into the main game. At stage 22 now and it feels like I'm still in the INTRO/tutorial stages.

You know, after the LoE stuff ended at 17, it actually feels like a proper real SRW game that I can get behind. Interesting mysterious, lots of characters, some actual antagonists, cutscenes pre/post-battle that are more than a single 30 second scene. Stage 1 and 18-21 so far have felt like the real OG Ep3.

It's a serious freaking shame that there's 10-25 hours of fluff, boring LoE before the game starts. It feels like FFXIII in SRW form where "you gotta play for 20 hours before it opens up and gets good". Honestly, was just a absolute awful design decision. The LoE world had NOTHING INTERESTING. It was a super simple very short war story with only a handful of unique characters & mechs (with no character development and dull mech design outside the final end bosses for both routes) and piss-easy maps (even with SR points). Maybe it's just because I came straight from OGG, but all the SR points have been freaking easy so far and the game's had no challenge. Which is fine, and even preferred since I don't think I'd want frustrating stages when the story, characters, and mechs are all so boring in that LoE section.

When I played LoE for the first time a few years again with the DS remake it was kind of cool to see Masaki's origin, but otherwise the story kind of sucked. The only good stuff was the origin story of how Masaki becomes Cybuster's pilot, how Shuu blows up the entire freaking capital, and the tale of all the interesting Masoukishin pilots. And since 2nd OGs takes place after that part of the story, it's just the rest of the story that wasn't any good in the first place lol.

Anyhow, pretty graphics aside, I haven't really been enjoying 2nd OGs yet. It's been a long "wait for it to get good" turn off brain and power through 30 hours of gaming. So I'm finally glad that game is the good SRW I want now and hopefully even when it dips back into LoE again later on it'll be more interesting and more mixed crossover maps than the nothing but LoE and 3 boosted children for 15 damn maps in a row (30 if you do both routes simultaneously!).

The inclusion of MX and D gets me pretty excited in this game. Can't wait for them to bring in more of the GBA/DS SRWs along with the rest of Alpha 3's pilots in the next major OGs.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't mind doing all routes at the same time as long as the story is interesting in both routes. Yanron/Ryuune's starting route is just terrible though. Complete filler with almost nothing happening over the 15 maps. Masaki's is better but it's still really really weak. It's just a very bad intro and I really question the decisions to have structured 2nd OGs like that.

Shouta

First 17 are definitely the weakest because it just decided to get the SRW EX storyline done. It's If the events of La Gias were more integrated into the story, it'd be interesting but as a lot of those happenings are contained within that only, it's kind of stupid. EX needed to occur though so they can continue on with the second part of LoE timeline wise.

Game really starts after stage 17 though, tbh.

Bebpo

Banned
I think they should've just done the first 17 in OG Gaiden (or had an OGG2 that was those maps + some other stuff before 2nd OGs) since it really is more of a Gaiden story because it's so removed from the main plotline of OGs.

Anyhow, even discounting the first 17 maps, that still leaves 45 or so + branches, which sounds like it should be a fairly complete meaty mainline SRW by the time all is said and done. But yeah, the first 25-30% was a waste. Hopefully won't have any problems like that with OG3.

Btw, do you guys think they're going to pump out a 2nd OGs Gaiden expansion in the next year before they do 3rd OGs in 3-4 years? If they want to finish the Alpha storyline completely with 3rd OGs (so they can move into Z with 4th OGs), I'm assuming there's a lot of plot they're going to need to cover still, so they might want to get started on it with another Gaiden (plus to recover more development costs).

I think they should've just done the first 17 in OG Gaiden (or had an OGG2 that was those maps + some other stuff before 2nd OGs) since it really is more of a Gaiden story because it's so removed from the main plotline of OGs.

Anyhow, even discounting the first 17 maps, that still leaves 45 or so + branches, which sounds like it should be a fairly complete meaty mainline SRW by the time all is said and done. But yeah, the first 25-30% was a waste. Hopefully won't have any problems like that with OG3.

Btw, do you guys think they're going to pump out a 2nd OGs Gaiden expansion in the next year before they do 3rd OGs in 3-4 years? If they want to finish the Alpha storyline completely with 3rd OGs (so they can move into Z with 4th OGs), I'm assuming there's a lot of plot they're going to need to cover still, so they might want to get started on it with another Gaiden (plus to recover more development costs).
My memories of the Alpha series might be a bit hazy but I don't think they need any more original material to set up Alpha 3. The only missing part is perhaps the pan-galactic stakes because alpha 1 and 2 had set all that Voltes, Daimos, Gunbuster and Gaogaigar stuff and barring the Guest/Inspectors, there haven't been many galactic civilizations that aren't Zee Balmari.

Shouta

They won't really need all that much to finish covering the Alpha storyline with OGs 3. I think. The stories in the Alpha games aren't all the expansive. Touma and Selena didn't have too much story. Cobray and Kusuha didn't really either. They fixed up Touma's storyline in this to give him a bit more story. Selena will likely have a J connection and I think Cobray might get a bit of W going on.

Bebpo

Banned
What series do you think the next OG will cover? Alpha 3/J/R/W? There's really not a whole lot left besides the mainline Alpha 3, Z1, Z2 and the GBA/DS entries at this point. We haven't had a one-off console SRW since MX and that was in 2nd OGs.

Seems like they have enough material for maybe 2 more major OG titles (Alpha 3 + 3 handheld entries; Z1 + 3 handheld entries) and then they're going to be short.

Time for them to start making console licensed SRWs I think. Maybe after 3rd OGs, this team (who did Impact & MX iirc), will go back to do licensed SRW games for a little before doing a 4th OGs starting the Z storyline.

Shouta

R was already covered in Gaiden. Only ones prior to the dimensional stuff is Alpha 3, J, and W. Then it'll be Z, K, L and UX left then whatever extra series they want to add in like Scramble Commander or ACE.

Bebpo

Banned
So yeah, they have about enough for 2 more games. Figure 4 years development time for each, and they have 8 years to make a lot more licensed SRWs.

Shouta

It'll depend on how many games they add in from other series. They could stretch it to 3 depending on what other games they add. W, J, Alpha 3 for the next game. They could do Z1, K, and L for the second. Z2, UX, for a third game eventually if we just divided those. Then fill in with original plot for the games and etc etc. 3 ACE games and SC2 are still on the table as well.

Bebpo

Banned
Either way, the OGs team needs to get their butt in gear. I don't care how good the sprites are, 4-5 years per game is too much. If the Alpha/Z team can do a major srw every 3 years, these guys need to be able to as well. Can't believe OGG came out in 2007 or 2008.

Shouta

They've only done system jumps for the OG games, which is why it takes so long. GBA -> PS2 -> PS3 for them so it's not surprising it took several years. I think OG2 to OGs was 2 years and 2nd OGs was supposed to be 3ish years prior to the delay.

Bebpo

Banned
Probably nothing, a port, or spinoffs like the Gakuen game for a while.

The handheld team (s) won't announce their next game for another 9 months at least.
The Z team is plugging away at Z3 which is still at least 2 years from release.
The OG team is either just starting OG3 or in the middle of an expansion.
The port team is....probably porting something to Vita or 3DS. MX? Impulse? GBA games? Alpha 1?

I'd wager we get a port to last until the fall/winter where the next handheld is announced and then another port and then maybe they announce Z3 or an expansion to 2nd OGs.

Bebpo

Banned
Missed my first SR point on stage 25 in the night city with Zengar/Kurogane + 3 other units where you have to kill all non-boss enemies in 3 turns and the enemies all attack with SP down status effects. Way too luck based :( I tried three times and then just gave up and finished the map.

Oh well, you only need 2/3rds SR points for the ending paths so missing one or two doesn't matter much outside trophies and OCD.

Got Ing's mech...pretty badass. I love the BGMs for the new characters. Very good stuff. Guess I'm about halfway through the game now. It's moving pretty quick and a lot of fun. I get through about 2-3 maps a night. Might even finish this before UX comes out :eek:

Bebpo

Banned
Also I still haven't seen the maximum break system yet...when does it get introduced? Or are you supposed to just figure it out on your own?

Its mentioned / explained in the tutorial. Otherwise you can do it right out of the box, however since only 4 characters can initiate the max. break it can be easy to see why it's missable.

Bebpo

Banned
Can someone explain how I do it? I have no idea how it works and would like to use it for bosses where they run away below a certain HP.

Shouta

Can someone explain how I do it? I have no idea how it works and would like to use it for bosses where they run away below a certain HP.

All of your characters have to be 140 or higher Morale.

They have to paired up and next to each other.

They must have an F (I think) to be able to qualify for Maximum Break.

Should you get the those three, then have the character with the leadership skill (総率、I think) initiate the attack. You'll be able to choose maximum break from the menu after selecting the attack you want.

Then there's the usual en and morale requirements for your attacks.

MechaX

What series do you think the next OG will cover? Alpha 3/J/R/W? There's really not a whole lot left besides the mainline Alpha 3, Z1, Z2 and the GBA/DS entries at this point. We haven't had a one-off console SRW since MX and that was in 2nd OGs.

Personally, after getting about halfway through J, I bet they could even squeeze in another title in there. J's original storyline is kinda... bleh. In comparison, D seems to have had way more to work with. J just kinda has the Furies, all of which have different color versions of the exact same mech.

You probably have the same amount of plot for J after you combine both of the protagonists. The only difference is that there is less variety in the antagonist mechs, even though they look really cool.

Edit: Heck maybe they can even do something interesting with the 3 support characters.

Bebpo

Banned
It's been a while since I played Alpha 2 (and I only played the Kusuha/Bullet route) and I never played MX or D. Can someone tell me which antagonists are from which game?

Gaia Sabers - Are they the Alpha 2 plot, or are they an original OG plotline? I don't remember them at all from Alpha 2. Is this MX's plotline?

Youkijin - These are Kusuha's Alpha 2 plotline...right?

Ryuina - Obviously D's plotline.

Guest - Not sure what these are from. MX? Alpha 2?

I think those are all the enemy groups I've seen so far at map 32. Just curious who were the OG enemies for MX since it's not very clear so far at this point and there's no quick OG story summaries for any of the SRW games online that I can find.

Gaia Sabers are pretty much an OG thing I would imagine. Considering that
they are an amalgamation of a bunch of OG characters: Lee Linjun, Egret, bunch of extra children from the school, an antagonist from real robot regiment, and so on.

The guests are from SRW F Final I think. At least that's what a quick google search says.

Shouta

MX villains are just the folks associated with the Medius Locus project which was integrated into the Gaia Sabers and has some connections to the Real Robot Regiment storyline. Gaia Sabers are all original and the Youkijin are new I think but they're supposed to be a part of the Shijin story. The Phoenix and the Turtle aren't in Alpha 2 as I recall.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, Phoenix/Turtle aren't, but they make sense as they're just expanding the Kusaha/Chokijin lore that was in @2 and expanded in @3.

So uh, did MX not have any original grunt enemies? Seems weird. I'm so used to every series in OGs having Lead characters/Antagonist characters/Set of Grunts.

I should really play MX after this & UX.

Kinda cool that Guests are from F. I like how they keep pulling groups from all over SRW universe to make the plots more intricate and more interesting. One of the reasons the LoE parts suck is there isn't much cross-faction plot (and you never get to see cutscenes from the antagonists side). SRW is good when there's a whole set of antagonist groups interacting with each other as well as the heros.

I'm also surprised OG Ep3 is named after an original plotline (Gaia Sabers) when Ep1, 2, 2.5 were named after important events from other SRW games. Here I thought Alpha 2's plotline with Gun Eden and Sealing War was going to be the main core bulk plot of 2nd OGs with D/MX/LoE plot sprinkled in. But halfway through the game, that plotline hasn't even started really and Gaia Sabers seems to be the core plotline tying the whole game together with D/MX/LoE and I guess eventually @2 sprinkled in.

Shouta

Nah, MX didn't have its own grunts. It has its own lead and villains but no grunts at all. It mostly focuses on the other stories in that regard. If you play MX, I'd recommend the PS2 version as the PSP version has shitty loading.

Bebpo

Banned
So I took a look at the wiki and was a little disappointed that halfway through the game I've seen almost all the combination attacks and there's almost no new ones in this (Alt + Flick & Kereberions only). Considering the team up attacks are the best looking ones by far, kind of sad there aren't more.

Also looked at Secrets and they seem really weak. Only 1 hidden unit and a few hidden attacks? Eh, I swear every SRW is getting fewer and fewer secrets.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good game; but for a big mainline SRW I expect more. I guess they had to spend most of the dev time just redrawing all the same old stuff from OGG so there wasn't a ton of room to add more. Hopefully the next HD OGs game will add a lot since they can just re-use all these sprites. I want some more team up attacks!

Shouta

Team-Ups are also a little constrained by story at times. I think the team wants to have a logical reason to add one in for characters when possible plus all of that jazz needed to animate it.

Bebpo

Banned
For the secret unit do Josh and Rim "each" need 70+ kills? Or is it combined between the two?

I'm on map36 and Josh is at 64, so he'll be over 70 in another map or two, but Rim is around 35, so if they both need 71, she'll need to kill a lot of grunts over the next 9 maps.

Already got the masoukishin combined total and Sengar over 60, so once I get these two I can stop worrying about the secrets in the back of my head and concentrate on the SP points. I've missed 2 so far, so have 34. Will be glad once I pass 40 so I can stop playing all constrained and oddly just to get them each map and start just playing normally and have more fun.

I kind of hate how a lot of the secrets and SP points make you play in specific ways, limiting the enjoyment of playing an srpg your own way. But with a 4 extra map run for the good ending, I got do that or I'd be really annoyed.

Shouta

Need 70 on both and get to the objective in that mission within 6 turns without putting them in the ship or taking damage, I think? The unit is well worth it, It's crazy powerful.

Bebpo

Banned
Also, for the record, I've still never seen a maximum break what the fuck.

I even just go for THE ONE ON THE BACK OF THE PACKAGE (team SRX + Violetta).

ALL OF THEM HAVE 140+ MORALE
Violetta has Leadership skill
THEY ARE PAIRED 2 and 2 AND STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER
Violetta uses ATTACK
I'm pretty sure those 4 all have "F" weapons

NO MAXIUMUM BREAK APPEARING ON ATTACK LIST

I don't know wtf I'm doing wrong. I've tried this with several characters with leadership skill and I never get the option.

Shouta

Are they all on the same terrain? Like if Viletta is on the ground, is the other group there as well? There occasionally is that issue.

http://www45.atwiki.jp/2ndsrwog/pages/26.html

Lists the conditions for a Maximum Break:

ツインユニット同士が隣接し、
全員気力140以上かつ「支援武器」を所持した状態で
このスキルの習得者から「マキシマムブレイク」が使用可能になる

Then you can select any attack to initiate it. The characters have to be in range for their Support Attack Weapons to be able to use it, I think. Some units won't have an F weapon, especially if you removed the equippable ones so you may need to check again.

Top Bottom