• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3) JP |OT| Hot Chick + Guns + Shower Scene = mmmmm

Oh yeah this game comes out this week. I do have a pre-order and after reading Bebop's impressions I am very excited.

The $29.99 price point is everywhere right? Most importantly at Gamestop.

ban25

Rahxephon91 said:
Oh yeah this game comes out this week. I do have a pre-order and after reading Bebop's impressions I am very excited.

The $29.99 price point is everywhere right? Most importantly at Gamestop.

Nah, at Gamestop you only get a used one for that price. :)

Square Triangle said:
but the reviews are realllly worrying me. I loved PE1/2, Idk about this one. =/
Yeah. But I'm still planning to get it. I wonder what reviewers are pointing out. Is it more because of the limitations of the PSP or is the gameplay really not that great?

A lot of the reviews are disappointed because of the story and how it's not really faithful to the PE series. But as a third-person shooter, wonder if it's still pretty fun.

pharmboy044 said:
I don't know if this was already known but looks like this will be released on PSN. Go owners are not forgotten.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...ound-the-web-what-we-read-137/#comment-538188
Good news of the day.

Square Triangle said:
I have this game reserved but the reviews are realllly worrying me. I loved PE1/2, Idk about this one. =/

Read through the early pages of this very thread and trust your fellow GAFers! The majority of us all have positive things to say about the game and most of us are big fans of the original. It's not like that game so don't go in expecting it to be and you should enjoy it just fine :)

xero273

Colocho said:
So, no one cares about the english release?

Seeing as no one made a OT, yes. :( poor aya, she will forever be alone.

I care. game shipped yesterday. might as well make this the OT.

I've got the 3rd Birthday pre-ordered and fully paid for at my local EB, I'm currently playing through Parasite Eve for the first time and am probably going to buy Parasite Eve 2 whenever they get around to putting it on PSN.

Ricker

I`m reading a lot of opinions saying the game is good but kinda frustrating and hard,even on the normal settings...I forgot to pre-order this so it might be hard to find a physical copy around here as well,so i`ll wait for more opinions and grab it on PSN at some point I guess...is it really that hard?

Domstercool

Ricker said:
I`m reading a lot of opinions saying the game is good but kinda frustrating and hard,even on the normal settings...I forgot to pre-order this so it might be hard to find a physical copy around here as well,so i`ll wait for more opinions and grab it on PSN at some point I guess...is it really that hard?

Depends how you play it. It's a game that rewards multiple playthroughs with the new game +. Technically you could do it on easy, then use your weapons/level character for normal and then same again for hard, etc etc.

AwShucks

Going to pick it up from Best Buy today. I'm looking forward to it despite it not really being a Parasite Even game, except maybe in spirit and in some character names. From my understanding the gameplay is still fun. And even though the story is supposedly not that great, I can't help but wonder "Who cares?" after I just finished playing through Parasite Eve 2 again, cause that story was definitely not "good".

This series has had such a weird run as far as the core mechanic go. The first game is an rpg with a combat system that's a mixture of action and turn based mechanics, the second one is a survival horror game and the third game is more of an action-y shooter with rpg elements. It's kind of ridiculous how each entry has wildly deviated from what its predecessor was.

I've been digging my time with the first Parasite Eve, I'm going to give the second one a shot even though it seems to be the black sheep of the series and I can't wait to try out 3rd Birthday. It's a shame that this hasn't been getting more attention but that seems par for the course with most handheld games.

Played the PE1 for the first time recently and dear god it is super cheesy. Like, Deadly Premonition levels of awkwardness and nonsense. Not that that's bad, I dig DP I just didn't think PE was like that. Looking forward to getting 3rd Birthday though, mainly because Squeenix's track record on PSP has been amazing.

Micius

Ricker said:

In one word, yes. Minor gameplay/plot spoilers ahead:

The first playthrough might be a bit frustrating. The early chapters has enemies that you can't kill and have to run away from, and the game involves you playing as Aya "diving" into various people (mostly soldiers) in the past (it's the premise for the game and also this is one of several reasons why people hate the story in this game). The "diving" bit means you can keep going as long as you find a new target to dive into, but each body you are inside don't really have that much health, and some of the monsters can 1-2 shot you. Also, some of the bosses involve some trial and error since it may take a few deaths to figure out what you are supposed to do. The game does allow you to grind completed missions in a simulator for currency and experience though.

My personal opinion is that the game is surprisingly fun with solid gameplay and impressive visuals (Square Enix's usual high graphical standards on the PSP). Ignore the story though, I sort of get the gist of what they were trying to do but there's just too much that doesn't make sense. I would actually recommend going through it the first time on normal difficulty just to get a feel for the gameplay the way it was intended before messing around with extra weapons and stats in new game plus.

Domstercool said:
Depends how you play it. It's a game that rewards multiple playthroughs with the new game +. Technically you could do it on easy, then use your weapons/level character for normal and then same again for hard, etc etc.
I usually don't like to play it on easy, but I might with this to avoid frustrating gameplay. As long as I can still see everything like the ending, etc., than I'm good either way.

But I do think that part of the game's longevity and single player length is trial and error and lot's of failure from the difficulty.

I kind of don't want to beat it too quickly if I play it on easy. But I hate being frustrated. I guess I can play it twice.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Synless said:
I gotta ask after watching that trailer. Is this game an actual sequel or a reboot?

Neither. It's a side-story with Parasite Eve characters.

Since I claimed the |OT|, I should make a thread about it already. But I'm waiting for the PSN store to update to see if the game is up there or not.

Yuterald

Got mine! Started on Hard Mode and played for about 2 hours. The story seems a bit WTF when I booted it up, but the core mechanics seem pretty solid. This game feels like a "gamers game". Tons of upgrading, constant action, lots of gameplay systems, etc. The game seems to move at a quick pace. I think I am on Mission 3 or 4 already.

The boss fight at the very end of the concert hall/building is tough as shit on Hard. I stopped there, but I am definitely enjoying it so far. Music is fantastic too!

TheSeks said:
Yeah... this is definitely "Parasite Eve: Gaiden". I just received my copy and I've been playing with it on my lunch break. Definitely doesn't feel like PE at all. So far it plays and controls like any other 3rd person shooter on the PSP.

And what's up with Aya being all
skitish and unsure of herself?
this isn't the Aya Brea I remember from the first PE...

that I haven't replayed since it's original release in the U.S

Yuterald said:
Got mine! Started on Hard Mode and played for about 2 hours. The story seems a bit WTF when I booted it up, but the core mechanics seem pretty solid. This game feels like a "gamers game". Tons of upgrading, constant action, lots of gameplay systems, etc. The game seems to move at a quick pace. I think I am on Mission 3 or 4 already.

The boss fight at the very end of the concert hall/building is tough as shit on Hard. I stopped there, but I am definitely enjoying it so far. Music is fantastic too!
Sounds pretty good. Definitely going to play it on easy or normal. I heard everything is pretty good until the dreaded boss fights and certain scenes.

How's the shooting? Is it auto-aim? Also, is there a cover system like Resistance Retribution?

Domstercool

Reluctant-Hero said:
Yeah... this is definitely "Parasite Eve: Gaiden". I just received my copy and I've been playing with it on my lunch break. Definitely doesn't feel like PE at all. So far it plays and controls like any other 3rd person shooter on the PSP.

And what's up with Aya being all [/spoiler]skitish and unsure of herself?[/spoiler] this isn't the Aya Brea I remember from the first PE...

Explained later :)

daffy

Banned
B.K. said:
Neither. It's not a Parasite Eve game.
So like that 3D Alice in Wonderland movie? You wouldn't say this if someone asked you to name all the games in the Parasite Eve series for $1,000,000 dollars??

Doesn't really classify as a new IP does it? What would you say Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core were? It even has 3 in the title!

Micius

Reluctant-Hero said:

And what's up with Aya being all [/spoiler]skitish and unsure of herself?[/spoiler] this isn't the Aya Brea I remember from the first PE...

The usual cliché...
amnesia.

TheSeks

FTH said:
So like that 3D Alice in Wonderland movie? You wouldn't say this if someone asked you to name all the games in the Parasite Eve series for $1,000,000 dollars??

Doesn't really classify as a new IP does it? What would you say Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core were? It even has 3 in the title!

It's a "Parasite Eve" game, but because the IP is no longer in Square's control, "Eve" and things like it are gone. Mitocondria able to control themselves and Aya/Kyle/etc. from the first and second PE that were Squaresoft created are in S-E's control and able to do.

Like I said: It's a Parasite Eve spin-off. "Parasite Eve 3" is a misnomer (Oh how I wish this was a proper PE3. ;_______;).

Yuterald

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Sounds pretty good. Definitely going to play it on easy or normal. I heard everything is pretty good until the dreaded boss fights and certain scenes.

How's the shooting? Is it auto-aim? Also, is there a cover system like Resistance Retribution?

Shooting feels pretty good. L Button locks on and you can cycle between enemies with the d-pad. R button shoots. The only thing that can be a bit annoying is if there are a ton of enemies on screen or bosses with multiple parts, switching between enemies/parts can get a bit overwhelming.

The 'mind jacking' stuff is way more fun than I thought it would be. Allies are basically health extensions in this game. You can quickly jump and overtake an ally at any time and essentially go from no health to full health. This was a feature I was kind of put off by when I first saw the game, but it's actually pretty bad ass!

daffy

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:
Noooooo hype ruinedddddddd :mad: 3rd Other M confirmed....

:lol jk of course ;)

The game seems designed for multiple playthroughs and I assume you carry stats and such over, right?

Can that stuff carry through difficulty levels? Say I take my end game normal character and run through hard and then my end game hard character through what ever is next?

Also, from 1up's review:

By the end of the game, all the other returning characters (including heroine Aya Brea) have been so thoroughly trashed it makes what GRIN did to Bionic Commando's legacy a couple of years ago look like an act of devoted respect

It can't be that bad, I mean nothing could be that bad... could it?

TheSeks

HamPster PamPster said:
It can't be that bad, I mean nothing could be that bad... could it?

I hope it isn't. :( I've been waiting 10+ years for this. ;___;

Synless

FTH said:
Noooooo hype ruinedddddddd :mad: 3rd Other M confirmed....

:lol jk of course ;)
Joking or not, I swear that was the exact impression I got from the trailer, that's why I had to ask.

Just finished playing through the intro mission and scored a "B" grade. Regardless of the story line, wow, the game is really fun. I think I'm going to really enjoy this ride.

Atolm

jaundicejuice said:
Just read through Parish's review of The 3rd Birthday on 1up and it sounds like this game's going to be somewhat of a disappointment to long time fans. It's still a good game despite its issues, it's just that T3B is not the Parasite Eve sequel some may have been waiting for.

I think long-time fans will be utterly disappointed with the game. 3rd Birthday is fun, but there is so much wasted potential everywhere...I think the game hasn't had a 3-year long development as some say, instead they probably focused on development after finishing FFXIII.

The plot is probably the worst I've seen in the last ten years or so, up there with things like Farenheit, and Aya feels so lifeless and empty...which is a pity, because actually the shooter mechanics are well executed and fit perfectly to the PSP, imo.

bender

What time is it?
Atolm said:
The plot is probably the worst I've seen in the last ten years or so, up there with things like Farenheit, and Aya feels so lifeless and empty...which is a pity, because actually the shooter mechanics are well executed and fit perfectly to the PSP, imo.

That's depressing and it sounds like you are echoing Jeremy's thoughts on 3rd Birthday. I love Parasite Eve and I might just have to see this train wreck for myself. At least it comes with a discounted price.

Priz

Can anyone who bought the english/US version tell me if the Superfly song is still in there? I asked SquareEnix US and they replied that that information was confidential less than a month ago. What the hell?

So if you can check the manual for details on her song Eyes on Me and let me know if it's on there, I'd REALLY appreciate it. :)

TheSeks said:

Since I claimed the |OT|, I should make a thread about it already. But I'm waiting for the PSN store to update to see if the game is up there or not.

They said in the US blog that would be in the NA update.

Peff

Priz said:
Can anyone who bought the english/US version tell me if the Superfly song is still in there? I asked SquareEnix US and they replied that that information was confidential less than a month ago. What the hell?

So if you can check the manual for details on her song Eyes on Me and let me know if it's on there, I'd REALLY appreciate it. :)

It is.

Top Bottom