• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3) JP |OT| Hot Chick + Guns + Shower Scene = mmmmm

duckroll

Flek said:
iam sorry guys i bet it has been asked before but please help me out:

on all the screens the japanese version seems to be completely in english!? Is this true? So how easy is it to play this baby if you can´t understand one word japanese?

No, the game is in Japanese. Only menus and interface stuff are in English. Most of the important things are still in Japanese, including all gameplay instructions, tutorials, story, and descriptions of weapons, parts, and abilities.

Flek said:
iam sorry guys i bet it has been asked before but please help me out:

on all the screens the japanese version seems to be completely in english!? Is this true? So how easy is it to play this baby if you can´t understand one word japanese?

I haven't received my copy yet so others will be able to confirm, but I'm pretty sure the menus are in English but once in them (for upgrading etc) it's all Japanese.

I doubt this will be much of a challenge for non-Japanese speakers/readers though.

Flek

Banned
duckroll said:
No, the game is in Japanese. Only menus and interface stuff are in English. Most of the important things are still in Japanese, including all gameplay instructions, tutorials, story, and descriptions of weapons, parts, and abilities.

oh ok thx. So story etc. in japanese makes me wait for the eu / us version then.

kiryogi

Banned
Just finished it...Still no Lightning Custom or OD suit yet. Gotta wait on SE members to process my data I guess? Now going thru hard with OL outfit. :D Ah man, definitely like her battle voice here. So sexy. I'm disappointed that final damage form of OL outfit doesn't show as much. Not sure how long I'll stick with the OL outfit though. Wanna check out the china dress and maid outfit too :D Also, anyone know how to unlock the viewer for the other outfits? I got the viewer for her winter outfit but that's it so far.

edit: trying china dress now. Loving that voice too. I'm pretty sure everything but her default was is so much more preferred for me.

Flek: Not sure what your import experience is. But as it's been echo-ed several times in here. The story isn't even worth understanding. OH WAIT. It's actually absolute nonsense, NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND IT ANYWAY. Screw you Toriyama. I can't wait to see the meltdown that is the domestic thread.

maskrider

kiryogi said:
Also, anyone know how to unlock the viewer for the other outfits? I got the viewer for her winter outfit but that's it so far.

Stick with one costume to play through the game (episode 0 doesn't count).

My copy finally arrived yesterday and just sat down to spend some time with it this afternoon. Finished the tutorial, first impressions are wow at the presentation and also the gameplay. Everything just feels right. Plus Aya <3

maskrider

Hard almost done, at the final boss now, struggling and died 5-6 times already. My thumbs have to take a rest, very tired.

edit: Finished Hard !!! Got swim wear, now on to the next 7 play through on easy to get the infinite ammo cheat.

Just finished it my first playthrough on easy. Overall I was very impressed. Being a big fan of the original, I was a little hesitant going in since this is not a lot like the first game, but the overdive system was well implemented and the actual shooting felt solid. Changing weapons in the heat of battle was a little awkward though.
Bosses were great, very satisfying when they were defeated since some of them took quite a bit of time and/or a few retries.
Music was generally excellent, especially the re-workings of tracks from the first PE.

But yeah, not going to even try and make any sense of that story! :lol

maskrider

Finished my 5th run (this time on Normal). 5 more left to get the infinite ammo cheat and viewer mode on the costumes that I have.

Bebpo

Banned
I finished the first ep and I never really felt like I was fighting the bosses correctly as they seemed to take forever.

For instance on the mid-boss, I'd have a guy on top shooting the eye on the back which would slowly grind down its life and then when it started climbing I'd hide the person and have the guys on the bottom shoot it and try to make it fall (which is hard because the camera doesn't point up enough when shooting from below so I don't even know what I'm locked onto and shooting and from a distance the weapons don't hit enough). Then it would fall or go back down and I'd jump back to the person on top and shoot the eye again, repeat for like 10 mins of draining its HP down.

For the main boss it was faster and I was doing constant damage when it was solid but my problem was actually keeping people alive when it was solid. I feel like I beat it by luck as in the end it was jumping around doing huge radius swipes that I couldn't outrun and would 1 hit kill anyone it touched, so I just kept dying and changing guys and shooting and I killed it when I was on my last life. Oh and when the tornadoes were up it seemed hard to not get hit by them because the camera is focused on one of them and then you can't see the others and they hit you from the side/back. I think I'm missing the strategy to these fights.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
I finished the first ep and I never really felt like I was fighting the bosses correctly as they seemed to take forever.

For instance on the mid-boss, I'd have a guy on top shooting the eye on the back which would slowly grind down its life and then when it started climbing I'd hide the person and have the guys on the bottom shoot it and try to make it fall (which is hard because the camera doesn't point up enough when shooting from below so I don't even know what I'm locked onto and shooting and from a distance the weapons don't hit enough). Then it would fall or go back down and I'd jump back to the person on top and shoot the eye again, repeat for like 10 mins of draining its HP down.

Well, the right way to beat this boss is to first get one guy up to the roof, and keep him behind the cover there but do NOT attack. Instead, you dive back down to one of th guys below, and then you cripple the boss by destroying one of the legs. Doing this will stun and incap the boss for a period of time, allowing you to dive back up to the guy on the roof. From there you can use an overdive kill on the weak spot, doing tons of damage. After this you can just keep shooting at the weak spot while it's down, and if you have a good machine gun you might be able to trigger another overdive kill before it gets up. Once it gets up go behind cover and dive back down and repeat. You should only have to do this twice at most on normal difficulty with weapons available to you at that point of the game. The overdive kill should take off almost an entire lifebar or more.

For the main boss it was faster and I was doing constant damage when it was solid but my problem was actually keeping people alive when it was solid. I feel like I beat it by luck as in the end it was jumping around doing huge radius swipes that I couldn't outrun and would 1 hit kill anyone it touched, so I just kept dying and changing guys and shooting and I killed it when I was on my last life. Oh and when the tornadoes were up it seemed hard to not get hit by them because the camera is focused on one of them and then you can't see the others and they hit you from the side/back. I think I'm missing the strategy to these fights.

The strategy for this boss is to use the little tornadoes to charge up your Liberation meter. Once it's full and most or all of the tornadoes are destroyed (you want to clear most of them so they don't distract your lock-on), you should lock on to the boss and go into Liberation. Continuously attack him and use an Overdive Kill when the Liberation bar is almost depleted. This should take off a ton of his life. You should only have to deal with this once or twice (depending on how much damage you do), and then he'll flip around and turn red. That's when he's "solid", and once he gets into that mode, attract his attention and throw a grenade as he's slowly moving towards you and then dodge roll backwards. A crossfire + 1-2 grenades should be more than enough enough to trigger an Overdive Kill, and at this point the boss should be almost dead.

maskrider said:
Finished my 5th run (this time on Normal). 5 more left to get the infinite ammo cheat and viewer mode on the costumes that I have.

Holy shit, you have to beat the game ten times to unlock viewer mode?

duckroll

rainking187 said:
Holy shit, you have to beat the game ten times to unlock viewer mode?

No. You unlock Viewer Mode for a costume when you use it for every mission in a single playthrough. There are about 10 costumes... so....

maskrider

duckroll said:
No. You unlock Viewer Mode for a costume when you use it for every mission in a single playthrough. There are about 10 costumes... so....

Viewer mode can be considered a bonus since I need to complete 10 times to get infinite ammo cheat.

Playing deadly now, it is pretty "deadly", have to be very careful, ha ha ha ! And the leveling up of Aya and weapons are much faster.

I wouldn't play genocide until I get infinite ammo cheat.

Some people complain about the distraction from Aya's wiggling ass when she is running (wearing her jean), especially with camera type "Behind", heh ! I suppose they won't notice that much in Hard and above difficulties, heh !

kiryogi

Banned
Progress update: Finished it on hard yesterday afternoon and I'm on deadly now. Got almost all outfits except for Titanium Bunny and Knight Armor. I have to wonder though, what kinda damage is there for swimsuit? :lol I've also unlocked the shower scene somehow by accidentally while going thru hard. Separate save get! :D

Currently playing thru deadly with swimsuit. Christ it's pretty nasty now. Like 1-2 hit kills. It took me all night to get thru ep1. Well I fucked up once and had to start from the beginning, but regardless, it was one hell of a trial.

Definitely gonna just cruise thru on easy to get the viewer modes. I'm still switching between outfits once they reach 3rd form :D

Bebpo said:

That was essentially my strat for that midboss. Doesn't really take me that long though. Part of my loadout is a sniper rifle and that makes quick work of almost anything. That said the strat for taking out his legs and such doesn't really work too well in latter difficulties. Meanwhile for the main boss, just like duck said, you just wanna use the tornados as fodder for your liberation. On another note though in regards to the proper way to fighting bosses. I've felt that only that first midboss there was actually pretty clever and creative. But most of the rest were pretty typical in comparison. It feels good to position your characters and outsmart it, while the other ones were just pretty much run and gun.

Now a question for all you players out there. What's your OE chip loadout? I took some advice I saw on gamefaqs and haven't included any antibodies or energy defense. Def really matters squat in higher difficulties. XD

Mine currently:

Regeneration
Restock
Rapid Link
Energy Shot
Haste
Barrier
Odds Up
Power Surge
Kill Boost

And they're all at least lv20.

duckroll

I have a few different DNA Board set ups. The skills I particularly like are Kill Boost, Energy Shot, Critical Shot, and Pre-raise. Also helpful are the ones which boost the attack power of Crossfire, and the sync speed of Crossfire. I kinda agree that as the game gets harder, defensive skills become more and more useless, because it becomes more practical to learn how to completely evade attacks and not take damage, since taking any damage at all can be fatal.

I find Liberation skills not particularly useful either (Regeneration and Inferno in particular), but that's also probably because I don't have any of the Liberation boost bullets for any weapon. If I could build the Liberation gauge a lot faster, I would consider fusing more of those. Does anyone have any luck with Restock btw? I think I have one board with Restock maxed out at 25, but it seems really hard to trigger. Is there any trick to it?

Btw, I really like the S-E Members integration. It's kinda cool to be able to just click on the site and see how much my friends have been playing. Too bad the stat tracking aside from play time is kinda crappy for T3B. It'll be nice if S-E improves this service and makes it more meaningful for the rest of their remaining PSP games. I'm not sure if they'll be able to implement anything for BbS FM (probably not), but for Dissidia012 and Agito I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what sort of community services they have.

maskrider

duckroll said:
Does anyone have any luck with Restock btw? I think I have one board with Restock maxed out at 25, but it seems really hard to trigger. Is there any trick to it?

I had my Restock at 25 (now changed to energy defense), too. And it does trigger sometimes, if possible, I will try to OD to all the soldiers.

duckroll

I just started playing again on Deadly, and I noticed something. Power Surge doesn't require an actual OD Kill to be performed to trigger. It randomly triggers sometimes when you simply trigger an OD Kill prompt. This seems to make it more useful potentially if you have a strong B-Impact weapon, but you don't want to have to actually ODK weak enemies when they're very close to dying anyway, since it wastes time and there's a recovery animation after it.

maskrider

duckroll said:
I just started playing again on Deadly, and I noticed something. Power Surge doesn't require an actual OD Kill to be performed to trigger. It randomly triggers sometimes when you simply trigger an OD Kill prompt. This seems to make it more useful potentially if you have a strong B-Impact weapon, but you don't want to have to actually ODK weak enemies when they're very close to dying anyway, since it wastes time and there's a recovery animation after it.

Haste and Power Surge happen more often, barrier is very seldom, critical shot, if happen, is quite helpful since it usually trigger an OD kill.

But Blaze Edge with infinite ammo will be fantastic.

edit: Fighting the semi-final boss in the last episode is a pain in the ass on Deadly, damn!!!

duckroll

Holy crap wtf. Famitsu has confirmed that if you beat the game 50 times, the Shower Scene gets added to the Video Log. But that's NOT all... after adding it to the Video Log, if you watch it 10 times, a new camera option is added to the config menu to "focus on Aya's ass"...

:(

duckroll said:
Holy crap wtf. Famitsu has confirmed that if you beat the game 50 times, the Shower Scene gets added to the Video Log. But that's NOT all... after adding it to the Video Log, if you watch it 10 times, a new camera option is added to the config menu to "focus on Aya's ass"...

That sounds like a straight up EGM style April Fool's joke.

duckroll said:

game of the year, i say!

maskrider

duckroll said:

10 times viewing for that ! You are joking, right ?

It is even closer than "Behind" camera ?

duckroll

maskrider said:
10 times viewing for that ! You are joking, right ?

It is even closer than "Behind" camera ?

I dunno. I read it on FF Reunion. Sounds legit but I don't think I want to find out. :p

duckroll said:

Who's gonna beat it 50 times? People aren't that DESPERATE! Oh Japan, never change. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
duckroll said:
I dunno. I read it on FF Reunion. Sounds legit but I don't think I want to find out. :p

Oh, bullshit, you know you want it duckroll-san. ;)

Who's gonna beat it 50 times? People aren't that DESPERATE! Oh Japan, never change. :)

CWCheat says "sup," and "LOL, unlocked in ten seconds."

duckroll

zerokoolpsx said:

Not really -that- hard to accomplish, just time consuming. On Easy you can beat the game in under 2 hours, with practice probably a little over an hour. You unlock infinite ammo after beating the game 10 times anyway, so that's just another 40 runs. If you beat the game once a day, it can be accomplished in under 2 months!

maskrider

Just done with Deadly, my fingers are still aching all "thank" to the damn nub. 4 more play through left to get the infinite ammo assist code.

maskrider

duckroll said:
Not really -that- hard to accomplish, just time consuming. On Easy you can beat the game in under 2 hours, with practice probably a little over an hour. You unlock infinite ammo after beating the game 10 times anyway, so that's just another 40 runs. If you beat the game once a day, it can be accomplished in under 2 months!

Someone has done it. A person at FF-Reunion (who comment on the T3B news) has done it and a "Secret" view type was added. Ha ha !

BTW, after getting "Countless Bullets", I have just finished Genocide (with the aids on and Hunter500, ha ha) and got Titanium Bunny.

Bebpo

Banned
I can't play this game. The controls are too broken and it's literally impossible for me to play. I have a GIANT ENEMY WHO CAN KILL ME IN ONE HIT RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and I am pointing right at him and I hit lock-on to shoot and the camera SPINS UP TO THE SKY and becomes locked onto some stupid bug in the air while I get murdered by the enemy right in front of my face.

Or I'll run up to an orb I need to explode and I'm standing 2 feet from it, gun pointed straight at it and I hit lock-on and the camera swerves around 180 degrees to lock onto the enemies 20 feet away behind me.

WTF IS WRONG WITH THE LOCK-ON

You can't make a TPS where you don't get free aim AND where the lock-on logic is busted. It just doesn't work that way! By the time I take my thumb off the analogue and tap the d-pad a few times until I get the target I actually want I'm dead. Unless there is some option/control scheme to fix the lock-on I'm done with this game.

Bebpo

Banned
Alright, just finished my first run on normal and cleared the first two eps on my new game+ easy replay.

Overall this was a really great game. Very impressed. The combat is GOOD. Real good. The weapons feel so great. Love using them and the enemies are fun to fight. Enough variety for the size of the game. The level pacing and challenge on a normal first run is great. At first it was a bit tough, but once you get past the initial learning curve it's pretty fair the whole rest of the game. Level 5 has some tougher spots but that makes it fun because you need to play at your best. I'd put it a first run on normal around the same difficulty as Vanquish on normal.

The rpg system was great. Buying weapons and customizing them was a lot of fun and your really noticed the effects in battle. The OE skill system is pretty cool too although it's a bit too much trial & error to get what you want. Still, having skills appear while you're fighting is cool and gives it kind of a kingdom hearts/arpg feel.

The music was great and the game length was perfect. Took me a bit over 8 hours for my first run.

On top of that this really is a game that shines on new game+ like DMC3/Bayonetta type games where you keep all your stuff. Building your character to have even cooler skills, more badass weapons, and funky costumes makes it either super fun while your speedrun and blow through all the enemies in 1 hit on easy or I assume a challenging fun experience on hard.

The graphics were also fantastic. One of the best looking portable games yet.

Control was....less than stellar, but playable. There were a few parts like in Ep2 with the stinkers where the lock on goes CRAZY and it's annoying until you figure out the layout of where the orbs are and where the enemies are and how to move around the area. Also sniping can be a bit of a pain with doing 180 turns and even aiming quickly. And sometimes when I'm changing weapons she accidently throws a grenade ^^; There's also a bit too much button mashing in liberation mode and PSP button mashing is never fun. On a real console this would control like a dream, but on PSP after some getting used to it, it's...acceptable.

The story ummm, I don't hate it as much as all you guys. Maybe because I never finished PE1 and never played PE2 and this is my favorite Parasite Eve game by far, but I'm just glad that by the end the story makes SOME SENSE (maybe not complete sense) but there's at least some satisfying closure. Is it a good story? No it's a bad C-movie sci-fi psuedo-intellectual tale, but hey it makes some sense and carries the non-stop action and gorgeous cutscene visuals so I'm really not going to complain a ton.

Another reason why I'm not that down on the writing is outside of the plot itself, the worldview for the game was AWESOME. It was a unique setting conveyed through the gameplay itself. This is the first game where when you die it's not just "oh well, there goes a life" it's "oh shit now I watch myself slowly get torn up while screaming from a third person perspective" and it really hits the note home of how depressing and bleak this world is. The way they took a standard mechanic (lives) and added humanity to it is something that seriously deserves some respect. The soldier dialogues at each save room are great and I love how they conveyed that these were just normal people scared shitless with no clue what's going on (like you) against enemies that exist only to kill you. It's a game that's definitely TOO dark and TOO bleak and I wouldn't necessarily want to see more like it, but as a single game experience there's really nothing like The 3rd Birthday, so even if the plot is terrible I'll give it a pass because the world they've created and the way they present it is fantastic.

So yeah, all in all outside of control issues because it's on the PSP when it should be on a console, this was a thumbs up good game. "Gun shooting rpg" is something I would like to see more of, because SE proves it can be done and done well.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing that's kind of interesting is from what I could tell, unlike all the other jrpgs from Square or even jrpgs on the psp, all the cutscenes are FMV instead of real-time. What's crazy is that there are SO MANY OF THEM and normally you don't expect so many when there is fmv since fmv is a space killer.

Also what's interesting is that normally when you see Square FMV you expect amazing looking CG. But the cutscenes in The Third Birthday look like they made them in real-time on PS3 and then recorded them as FMV. Sort of like how the GBA/DS Kingdom Hearts games have PS2-level real time cutscenes recorded as fmv. The assets for the models and everything seem about where a PS3 T3B would be.

Which also makes me wonder if they ever do a sequel like they were talking about on PS3/X360...I wonder if they'll reuse any of these assets.

maskrider

Yes, the game is hard on the first play through, but it makes the next NG+ really enjoyable.

I had 17 clears, and finally got the PILE BUNKER. Time to stop.

Next up : Valkyria Chronicles 3 PSP, ha ha ha !

duckroll

maskrider said:
Yes, the game is hard on the first play through, but it makes the next NG+ really enjoyable.

I had 17 clears, and finally got the PILE BUNKER. Time to stop.

Next up : Valkyria Chronicles 3 PSP, ha ha ha !

My God.... you're really....dedicated. :lol

maskrider

duckroll said:
My God.... you're really....dedicated. :lol

Had waited 10 years for Aya, ha ha !

Truth: My habit changed in the last 6 years, I am buying just the games that I will definitely play and spend a lot more hours on a single game.

Bebpo said:
One thing that's kind of interesting is from what I could tell, unlike all the other jrpgs from Square or even jrpgs on the psp, all the cutscenes are FMV instead of real-time. What's crazy is that there are SO MANY OF THEM and normally you don't expect so many when there is fmv since fmv is a space killer.

Glad they stuck with their "Cinematic RPG" description from the first game

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
duckroll said:

Late to this party, but holy shit. Square, what happened to you?? :(

rainking187 said:
Just wanted to mention Amazon has the US version listed at $29.99 now. I hope that stays the price, wonder why Lord of Arcana and Tactics Ogre get a $40 price tag and Dissidia 2 and 3rd Birthday are only $30.
http://www.amazon.com/3rd-Birthday-Sony-PSP/dp/B0045U4U52/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296169128&sr=8-1
Sweet, Thanks for the heads up! Went ahead and locked my order as I'm thinking that price is incorrect. It's unlike S-E to forgo their special "tax" on new releases. I understand the lower price on Dissidia 012 as it's an update to an already released game.

Also, Amazon has 3rd Birthday's release set for 3/21/11. A day before Dissidia 012. That has to be wrong.

In other The 3rd Birthday news, Famitsu asked director Hajime Tabata and producer Yoshinori Kitase about the possibility of a sequel in a recent interview about Final Fantasy Type-0. Replied Tabata, "The game has been well received by players, and there are many asking for that. While working to build Type-0 into a full game, I await the chance." Kitase said, "Our CEO is interested in it. If given the chance, I'd definitely like to make it."

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/28/3rd_birthday_shower_scene/

Snaku

Banned

daffy

Banned
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was just curious if anyone was currently making an |OT| for the English version or if we were just going to use this one??

I am very much anticipating the US release and just wanted to talk about it with my fellow GAF members... :) !!!

FTH said:
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was just curious if anyone was currently making an |OT| for the English version or if we were just going to use this one??

I am very much anticipating the US release and just wanted to talk about it with my fellow GAF members... :) !!!

Was going to ask the same thing. I'm still on the fence, honestly.

ban25

I played the Japanese version and enjoyed it. I really hope the reception is enough that SE might consider a full fledged sequel on PS3/360, I just hate playing games on my PSP in front of the TV...

Top Bottom