• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3) JP |OT| Hot Chick + Guns + Shower Scene = mmmmm

careksims said:
Geeze I wish I could read Japanese. I'd totally import this baby. I miss Aya Brea :(

looking through all the ad scans, info...seems like you can go through the majority of the game without...

only question I have is if the cutscenes will have subs or not?

duckroll

faridmon said:
I thought this was an official announcement... no?

Can't wait for your impressions, don't let me down.

I've been hyped about the shower scene since before they announced there would be a shower scene! :lol

Tucah

you speak so well
Definitely pulling out my PS1 to play PE1/PE2 before this comes to NA. PE1 remains one of my favorite games, can't wait to finally have another sequel.

Man, the US release can't come soon enough! I loved the first Parasite Eve, but for some reason I skipped the sequel. I can only hope that S-E manages to release the English versions on the US/UK PSN stores.

I'll be buying this on day one next year. Looking forward to reading jGAF's impressions.

Lovely OP, the game deserves it :)

duckroll said:
Can't wait to get my hands on this next week! Is anyone else getting the JP import?

Yup, this has been my most anticipated game of the year for ages, with the exception of maybe GT5. It's gonna round out a fantastic year for the PSP nicely :) The only thing that is souring my hype and excitement is the fact that, taking postage delays into consideration, I probably won't be playing this until the first couple of days of 2011 :(

Does anyone want to grab PE1 and PE2 from JP PSN and do a playthrough before T3B hits next week? Will this thread even have 50 posts before the game is out?

Think I mentioned it in one of the other 3rd Birthday threads, but I recently discovered that I've had PE2 for a while and never played it so I'd be interested in playing through it before T3B, although maybe the first one would be an easier/better choice.

Aya bath scene confirmed! :O

2132435284.jpg

;P

There's some more info on the game at Andriasang too:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/15/kh_aya_tub/

Skilletor said:
Really? You can't wait for disappointing sales? That's what you care about?

I'm questioning releasing a PE game after 11 years, as well as putting it on a platform that's only alive in Japan. I love PE, I'm just frustrated S-E is pulling crap like that.

Skilletor

Castor Krieg said:
I'm questioning releasing a PE game after 11 years, as well as putting it on a platform that's only alive in Japan. I love PE, I'm just frustrated S-E is pulling crap like that.

It's an easy way to revive the franchise. Why put tons of money into HD shit if the game isn't going to sell? Reintroduce Aya in a comparatively cheap sequel to see if her name is viable and go from there.

I'm just happy to be getting another PE game. I couldn't care less what platform as long as it's released in English.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Castor Krieg said:

Better PSP than Japan-only mobile phones like they originally wanted to do (and nearly made me kill myself over after waiting 10 years for PE3!) until PE fans the world over called them out on that bullshit.

lupinko

I actually picked up PE1 on game archives when it first came out, I haven't gotten around to playing it all the way through yet. Will probably pick up PE2 as well.

Grimmy

Banned
Castor Krieg said:

Or you could stop complaining and support the game.

Unless you'd prefer Parasite EVe be stuck as DoCoMo cellphone games forever...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Wild Arms and PE series were some of the most recent PSOne purchases I made (PE in late 2009, WA last week). I've been meaning to run through 'em.

I understand that PE2 was fairly different from PE1. Which does PE3 follow most closely?
Also, any word on whether or not SE will be bringing PE3 overseas?
Edit - Catching up on the thread. Seems like it will be coming over. Neato.

Skilletor

Mejilan said:
The Wild Arms and PE series were some of the most recent PSOne purchases I made (PE in late 2009, WA last week). I've been meaning to run through 'em.

I understand that PE2 was fairly different from PE1. Which does PE3 follow most closely?

Looks closer to 2 than 1, but more of a shooter than even 2 was.

lupinko

Mejilan said:

Neither, T3B based on what we know is a TPS like RE4/Uncharted/Gears with PE elements/systems.

PE2 was like old skool RE and PE was like Vagrant Story (or the other way around since PE came before VS).

TheSeks

Mejilan said:

Neither. PE2 was ARPG (very light RPG elements) in a Biohazard/Resident Evil engine.
PE1 was a JRPG with light ARPG ("waiting before you can shoot") elements with a survival horror cinematic feel.

PE3 is set to be a mix of the two with third person shooting.

Also started to write up an |OT| for PE3 when it comes to the US. I need some art banners and probably not the information and short plot (that leaves most of the game unsummarized so people will play my two favorite games on the PSX. :mad:) so it can be pretty like the typical GAF OT that no one will ever read and will come in and port beg because "LOL PSP!" :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Seems like a fairly varied-up franchise.
I should give the first two a shot... soon.
Is there a US release window yet?
Q1? Q2?

TheSeks

Mejilan said:
Seems like a fairly varied-up franchise.
I should give the first two a shot... soon.
Is there a US release window yet?
Q1? Q2?

Q1 2011, IIRC. But I think it's still TBA.

And yeah, the series changing up it's systems is why I like it while some of the "ZOMG PE1 FOREVER" fans cry.

Skilletor

TheSeks said:
Q1 2011, IIRC. But I think it's still TBA.

And yeah, the series changing up it's systems is why I like it while some of the "ZOMG PE1 FOREVER" fans cry.

I would like PE2 a lot more if not for tank controls, but I love the game in any case.

Parasite Eve is one of my favorite franchises, but PE1 is my favorite.

duckroll

TheSeks said:
Also started to write up an |OT| for PE3 when it comes to the US. I need some art banners and probably not the information and short plot (that leaves most of the game unsummarized so people will play my two favorite games on the PSX. :mad:) so it can be pretty like the typical GAF OT that no one will ever read and will come in and port beg because "LOL PSP!" :(

I think it'll be easier after those of us getting the JP version actually get to play (and finish) the game. Using actual impressions to form the basis of describing gameplay and story is always easier than trying to figure it out from previews and trailers.

TheSeks

duckroll said:
I think it'll be easier after those of us getting the JP version actually get to play (and finish) the game. Using actual impressions to form the basis of describing gameplay and story is always easier than trying to figure it out from previews and trailers.

That's what I'm hoping for. Right now I'm thinking it's going to be a two post bit with light information (release date, developers, blah blah blah, plot, features) for PE1/2 in the first post and then PE3 with impressions/system information, features/light plot bit for Post two.

Not exactly sure where I would go with it right now, but that's what I want. A short bit on the first two games (kinda like BruceLeeRoy's MGS4 opening post but not as insane) with the third following.

Kuran

Banned
Castor Krieg said:

Shitty argument. This game wouldnt've been realised if it was for a next-gen platform.

Plus, the game that we have now is conceptualized as a PSP game, and made specifically for it.. let's just say that you are angry because you can't play cool games because you do not have a PSP?

duckroll

Kuran said:
Shitty argument. This game wouldnt've been realised if it was for a next-gen platform.

Plus, the game that we have now is conceptualized as a PSP game, and made specifically for it.. let's just say that you are angry because you can't play cool games because you do not have a PSP?

You know, I would love to defend T3B with those factors, but based on the recent interviews and what we actually know about the game, I'm really think increasingly that this is not true at all.

The only reason this is a PSP game is because 4 years ago they made the mistake of starting the project up as a mobile phone title. That's probably really the only reason. When Wada forced them to cancel the mobile versions of T3B and Agito, they decided to move them to the PSP because of the similarity in spec at the time (this was over 2 years ago).

In recent interviews, they have revealed more and more about how they basically don't feel this game is a portable game at all, but it just so happened that they already committed to developing it on the PSP so they might as well make it the best they can on the platform.

Nomura (creative producer) and Kitase (producer) both have expressed multiple times that the game feels like a console game, and if they ever made a sequel it would definitely be a HD console title.

Tabata (director) has posted over and over about how great the game looks on a TV when you output it from the PSP, and he even recommends everyone who can, to basically play the game outputted to a television instead of playing it on the portable screen.

When Hexadrive (developer) was first approached by S-E to develop this game, they also lamented that it was a PSP game, and would have preferred to make it on HD consoles instead, since they have the infrastructure for that and they prefer developing on consoles.

The game is a third person shooter with RPG elements, and has no multiplayer or social elements whatsoever. It does not take advantage of any unique feature of the PSP, unlike Peace Walker and even Birth by Sleep.

All the developers involved have repeatedly said that the game is like a mini-HD console game, which just happens to be on the PSP. They talk about high end FMVs, and pushing the limit of graphic boundaries.

The game is rated CERO D, which is really unusual for the platform because most PSP gamers in Japan are younger teens. The team specifically added more and more fanservice which pushed the rating to such a level, because they admitted that they know the fans of the franchise would expect stuff like that, and they're targeting them instead of a more general PSP user base.

I dunno, as much as I love defending "portable games are made to be portable", I don't think this argument applies to this game at all. It really feels to me that the team, if given a chance to start over mid-development, would have wanted to make it a HD console game instead. But they just got stuck with what they planned for 4 years ago before market conditions changed.

Crystalkoen

Castor Krieg said:

Honestly, if you didn't know it was a follow-up to the PE games (new to the series/too young to remember), then you certainly wouldn't associate the game with that series. As it stands, this game's going to live or die by its own hand, and not what came before. Can't say I'm against that. As for platform choice, a lower-budget PSP or DS release is a far better investment to test the waters on what is essentially a new franchise than a full-blown console release (as others have mentioned). If it does well enough on the PSP, I imagine they might put some effort into a series console release, with significantly better graphics and significantly less clothing on Aya (another thing I can't say I'm against).

As it is, I think I'll see if I can't rip my PE1/2 onto my PSP tonight and try to play through them sometime before the US release of 3rd Birthday. Been 9 years or so since I played PE2, longer for 1, situations which I consider a crying shame.

EDIT: I had forgotten the interview stuff Duckroll mentioned, so yeah, ignore some of my post :p

Kuran

Banned
I can see your point, Duckroll, and wasn't aware of the developer's comments.

But at the same time, it is what it is.. and we all manage to be excited for this release anyway... I can't imagine what the game might have been like if it was developed for HD consoles, but I'm sure we'll find that out a few years from now if this game sells well.

At least it didn't stick to be a mobile phone game.

TheSeks

Kuran said:

And that's the best thing about it. Crying about it being on the PSP is stupid. Just be glad it isn't a Japan only cell-phone game anymore.

RickA238

Funny, I started replaying PE1 over Thanksgiving break. Will be traveling a good bit over the next week or so, I'm down for a PE1/2 replay on PSP CFW if anyone else is interested. The original is one of my favorite PSX games, and that's saying quite a lot. It fused the RE's and FF's of that era seamlessly IMO.

duckroll

Kuran said:
I can see your point, Duckroll, and wasn't aware of the developer's comments.

But at the same time, it is what it is.. and we all manage to be excited for this release anyway... I can't imagine what the game might have been like if it was developed for HD consoles, but I'm sure we'll find that out a few years from now if this game sells well.

Of course it is what it is, but I just feel that in some cases I can understand why certain people feel frustrated at how something is being handled. Deciding whether to make a sequel on HD consoles based on the sales of a PSP game is a really misguided opinion imo, especially when said game is in a western-friendly genre with limited appeal in Japan.

I'm certainly excited for the game, and I don't think the game as it is would have been possible on any other platform (because of timing and S-E's development being totally fucked up these days), but I certainly feel that this is one of those cases where even the developers wished that it was not on PSP. :/

Kuran

Banned
I never played PE2.. does it really hold up? Didn't look too hot gameplay-wise judging from a Youtube walkthrough I saw.

PE1 was awesome to me, and (what I remember to be) the final boss was one of the scariest experiences I had with games in the 90's.. I guess I have a thing about fetuses.

Berserk for Dreamcast also had a fetus at the end. Geez.

TheSeks

Kuran said:
I never played PE2.. does it really hold up? Didn't look too hot gameplay-wise judging from a Youtube walkthrough I saw.

I think it holds up, but I'm one of those that thinks "battle system of 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> battle system of 1" so I'm biased. Do you like classic Biohazard (1-3)? If not, you probably won't have much fun here.

Kuran said:

I think I post here often enough for people to know I have a PSP-2000 Red, which I mainly use to play DJ Max Portable to death.

I'm a PE fan so I will buy it regardless, S-E seems to be way better at portables this generation anyway.

Despera

Banned
TheSeks said:
I think it holds up, but I'm one of those that thinks "battle system of 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> battle system of 1" so I'm biased. Do you like classic Biohazard (1-3)? If not, you probably won't have much fun here.
You forgot a >

TheSeks

Despera said:
You forgot a >

I'd go so far to say that the battle system 2 is pretty much perfect. 1 was okay, but the whole "waiting until you can shoot" was stupid. 2 being fully real-time with magic-cast-time was perfect. It made sense in a gameplay and world sense.

lupinko

I really wish there was a special edition T3B PSP. Sigh, oh well I'll make do with my fat 1000 Ceramic White. =(

Ugh, I hate playing on that thing.

Skilletor

TheSeks said:
I'd go so far to say that the battle system 2 is pretty much perfect. 1 was okay, but the whole "waiting until you can shoot" was stupid. 2 being fully real-time with magic-cast-time was perfect. It made sense in a gameplay and world sense.

Tank controls are an abomination and ruins any potential of PE2's battle system.

Crystalkoen

lupinko said:
I really wish there was a special edition T3B PSP. Sigh, oh well I'll make do with my fat 1000 Ceramic White. =(

Ugh, I hate playing on that thing.

You mentioning a special edition just reminded me... I still have one of my Aya Brea keychain thingies from pre-buying PE2 back in the day on my keyring. A bit yellowed, but otherwise undamaged and in one piece. I think I lost the nurse one somewhere along the way >.>

Give me another keychain thingy, Square. That's all I ask for your US release.

On the topic of battle systems: I had a hard time a year ago watching my sister's husband pick up PE1 and try to play it. The fights felt so... slow. I'm hoping I can get past that on these replays.

Teknoman

Heres hoping for some really crazy looking new enemy introduction/ boss transformation sequences.

The Rat and Dog from PE1 still trip me out.

EDIT: The fights arent that slow once you start upgrading/get better guns and mitochondrial powers.

Kaldea

I want to be hyped for this, but all the focus on the OMG HOT is driving me off. All I want is a new PE1, not something that looks like it's made only for 16 year old boys.

But I should be expecting it because it's Aya Brea and Square. :/

Yasae

Banned
Kaldea said:
I want to be hyped for this, but all the focus on the OMG HOT is driving me off. All I want is a new PE1, not something that looks like it's made only for 16 year old boys.

But I should be expecting it because it's Aya Brea and Square. :/
The combat system really has me down. It went from turn-based, to real time, to bullets bullets bullets bullets bullets.

TheSeks

Skilletor said:
Tank controls are an abomination and ruins any potential of PE2's battle system.

Go cry on the PE1 GameFAQs forums about it, then. Because hatersgonnahate.gif

lupinko

Crystalkoen said:
You mentioning a special edition just reminded me... I still have one of my Aya Brea keychain thingies from pre-buying PE2 back in the day on my keyring. A bit yellowed, but otherwise undamaged and in one piece. I think I lost the nurse one somewhere along the way >.>

Give me another keychain thingy, Square. That's all I ask for your US release.

On the topic of battle systems: I had a hard time a year ago watching my sister's husband pick up PE1 and try to play it. The fights felt so... slow. I'm hoping I can get past that on these replays.

Nomura confirming no special edition PSP was due to not having enough time to plan any bonuses. =(

TheSeks said:
Better PSP than Japan-only mobile phones like they originally wanted to do.
Yes!

Putting it on the PSP actually makes more sense!

Putting in on Japan-only mobile phones is almost like a Chrono sequel on Japan-only mobile phones!

With that said, only a few more months left. I'm sure we'll see PE1 & 2 come to all PSNs by the time the English version comes out.

Top Bottom