• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve 3) JP |OT| Hot Chick + Guns + Shower Scene = mmmmm

Crystalkoen

lupinko said:
Nomura confirming no special edition PSP was due to not having enough time to plan any bonuses. =(

I can always pray for the game to receive a proper sequel in the near future, complete with proper special edition. I'll sit here and mumble to myself about the good ol' days in the meantime.

JLhtR.jpg

Welcome back Breaby

Grimmy said:
Or you could stop complaining and support the game.

Unless you'd prefer Parasite EVe be stuck as DoCoMo cellphone games forever...

Well, I can understand his frustration because he might not own a PSP or want to invest in one at this time. The same situation happened with Valkyria Chronicles unfortunately. I would much rather see this as an PSN game or even a cheaper retail game for the HD consoles since I don't have a PSP, but anything is better than having it on a cell pone. I do understand their decision because I doubt this wonderful looking game would sell exceptionally well on the HD console for the obvious reasons. Also, if PSP is supposedly losing/lost popularity, why is it still so expensive Sony? I probably know the answer......

Kuran

Banned
As a gamer you have enough reasons by now to spend 170 USD on a PSP. No excuses. But that's another thread I guess...

Grimmy

Banned
Rhazer Fusion said:
Well, I can understand his frustration because he might not own a PSP or want to invest in one at this time. The same situation happened with Valkyria Chronicles unfortunately. I would much rather see this as an PSN game or even a cheaper retail game for the HD consoles since I don't have a PSP, but anything is better than having it on a cell pone. I do understand their decision because I doubt this wonderful looking game would sell exceptionally well on the HD console for the obvious reasons. Also, if PSP is supposedly losing/lost popularity, why is it still so expensive Sony? I probably know the answer......

Sorry but if you like RPGs and don't already own a PSP, then the problem isn't with Square Enix I'm afraid. And T3B and VCII & III as PSN only games is also unrealistic - have you actually seen any Japanese developers do this? Until they think of downloadable games as a viable platform, it ain't happening. I do agree that it's long overdue for Sony to reduce the price of the PSP though.

Skilletor

It would be awesome if this thread didn't degenerate into port begging and whining about games on the psp as a whole.

I'm eagerly anticipating this game and looking forward to impressions and would absolutely love it if I didn't have to wade through shitty arguments to get to those impressions.

SSnake

This game is all I think of while I am at work. We are sooo close. Pre-ordered the day it appeard on Play-Asia.

anaron

They actually added a shower-scene last minute due to fan outcry? WOW :lol

While just about everything from the marketing to the degrading outfit gimmick has driven me away, the latest battle system info and Maeda's appearance have me a little intrigued.

DiscoJer

Skilletor said:
It would be awesome if this thread didn't degenerate into port begging and whining about games on the psp as a whole.

Unfortunately, you can say that about just about every PSP game thread here.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Grimmy said:
Sorry but if you like RPGs and don't already own a PSP, then the problem isn't with Square Enix I'm afraid. And T3B and VCII & III as PSN only games is also unrealistic - have you actually seen any Japanese developers do this? Until they think of downloadable games as a viable platform, it ain't happening. I do agree that it's long overdue for Sony to reduce the price of the PSP though.

THIS. PSP is a great JRPG machine and will be for some time still. I won't be surprised when Square's next game announcement is another PSP game.

Grimmy

Banned
For all those longing for console release:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/15/3rd_birthday_sequel/

"Asked about the possibility of a sequel, Nomura told the magazine, "We're thinking about it, but it depends on the reception of this title. It's difficult for the shooting genre to become a big hit in Japan, but through the development of this title I've come to see a direction for the next title."

"In the event that we made a next title," continued Nomura, "it would be for a console. The story this time was like an overseas drama, but next time it would maybe be like a movie version. I'd like to develop this series into something that can compete on the world stage, which is the true battle ground for the shooting genre.""

ie. he's saying, "So you want Aya on consoles? Buy The 3rd Birthday!"

dili

Grimmy said:
"I'd like to develop this series into something that can compete on the world stage, which is the true battle ground for the shooting genre."
This always turns out SO WELL, doesn't it?

smh

Danj

Eurogamer reports the shower scene pushed the CERO rating up from C to D:

Eurogamer said:
While Kitase now understands the benefit of showing gamers sexy starlet Aya Brea getting wet, he wasn't convinced at first.

"I think this is a great game and I'd like to get gamers of as many ages as possible to play it, so putting in a shower scene that'd up the CERO rating wasn't something I was particularly gung-ho for," he said.

"However, Aya's attractiveness is one of the most important elements of this game, so I wound up seeing the benefits of it in the end. I'm telling you, though, that scene really toes the line!"

The shower scene has to be unlocked by earning in-game achievements, apparently. They won't be difficult to earn.

Jonnyram

I'll grab PE1 off PSN and see how it goes, but the sway of newer games is way too big, duckroll. I never played through PE2 in the old days. How long would a swift playthrough take?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Comes out the day I arrive in Osaka for my new job = Will Buy.

I mean, Would Buy anyway, but extra special Will Buy at Yodobashi Umeda!

Minsc

Gold Member
Kagari said:
THIS. PSP is a great JRPG machine and will be for some time still. I won't be surprised when Square's next game announcement is another PSP game.

Not to mention all the great strategy RPGs too. I just ordered a PSP and researched a bit on what I've missed out on. I particularly like sRPGs, but still enjoy a classic jRPG or a unique one... I can't stomach stuff that looks like Crisis Core any more though.

Anyway, I was shocked at the number of games I wanted for the system, I already have a list of over 20 (mostly sRPGs with a few aRPGs - Ys and other RPGs like BbS) and it looks like I'll be adding this one to the list as well, I remember enjoying what little I played of Parasite Eve 1. Even at $200+, the system is a great buy for someone interested in RPGs, and that's not even considering if you have a PS1 collection you can supposedly play it on the PSP as well, so I'm half tempted to try my luck at scrapping up a few older games too, like Parasite Eve 1, though a quick glance showed prices near $100, which may be a bit too high.

anaron

New Primal Eyes rendition almost saves the trailer from the awful love-drama and horrible J-pop ballad.

At least the OST sounds to remains true to the PE spirit. <3 Shimomura.

duckroll

There's a really impressive scene in the trailer. The one with Aya shooting at this HUGE flying boss while standing on top of a tower, and then overdiving seamlessly into a chopper pilot and continuing to attack the boss from the chopper. After the dive you can really see how huge the tower is, and some of the area below it. The scale of the action is really impressive for a portable shooter.

anaron

duckroll said:
There's a really impressive scene in the trailer. The one with Aya shooting at this HUGE flying boss while standing on top of a tower, and then overdiving seamlessly into a chopper pilot and continuing to attack the boss from the chopper. After the dive you can really see how huge the tower is, and some of the area below it. The scale of the action is really impressive for a portable shooter.
I'm with you there. What they've pulled off - graphically speaking - with the game is insane.

duckroll

Also, PE1 update: Put 2 hours into the game so far, already at the start of Day 3. I'm reminded of how terrible for gameplay pre-rendered backgrounds are. It's really annoying to have to bump next to stuff and press O repeatedly to see if some background area is a drawer, or a door, or whatever. Aya's running speed also sucks! Otherwise, the game holds up great and I'm really enjoying this. I'm already imagining all Aya's lines being spoken by Maaya! :lol

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
duckroll said:
Aya's running speed also sucks!l

Yeah, I think that's the first thing I noticed about the game when I first played it back when it was released. I thought it had something to do with her wearing high heels at first, but then she changed her clothes. "Learn to run properly, damn you!" :lol

Kuran

Banned
Minsc said:
Not to mention all the great strategy RPGs too. I just ordered a PSP and researched a bit on what I've missed out on. I particularly like sRPGs, but still enjoy a classic jRPG or a unique one... I can't stomach stuff that looks like Crisis Core any more though.

Anyway, I was shocked at the number of games I wanted for the system, I already have a list of over 20 (mostly sRPGs with a few aRPGs - Ys and other RPGs like BbS) and it looks like I'll be adding this one to the list as well, I remember enjoying what little I played of Parasite Eve 1. Even at $200+, the system is a great buy for someone interested in RPGs, and that's not even considering if you have a PS1 collection you can supposedly play it on the PSP as well, so I'm half tempted to try my luck at scrapping up a few older games too, like Parasite Eve 1, though a quick glance showed prices near $100, which may be a bit too high.

I recommend Half Minute Hero, Peace Walker, Wild Arms XF (great SRPG) and Monster Hunter!

duckroll said:
Also, PE1 update: Put 2 hours into the game so far, already at the start of Day 3. I'm reminded of how terrible for gameplay pre-rendered backgrounds are. It's really annoying to have to bump next to stuff and press O repeatedly to see if some background area is a drawer, or a door, or whatever. Aya's running speed also sucks! Otherwise, the game holds up great and I'm really enjoying this. I'm already imagining all Aya's lines being spoken by Maaya! :lol

LOL Going through the game pretty quickly myself. The only problem I've run into is the Day 4 boss. Its like I forgot how to play all of a sudden.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:

You jerk, you said you probably weren't going to replay because it might take away from Parasite Eve 3! *grumbles*

ptown

I'm keeping my eye on this game though I haven't touched any previous PE's. I am slightly skeptical because of all the promotion of destructible clothing, costumes, and shower scenes - I'm wondering how much game is actually there behind these "features".

My PSP library right now is just Peace Walker and I'm hoping this is good.

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
You jerk, you said you probably weren't going to replay because it might take away from Parasite Eve 3! *grumbles*

I told you I was unable to decide at the time! I can be very indecisive regarding certain things! :lol

duckroll

Next week's Jump has a preview on the Over Energy skill shown in the final trailer - Inferno. When activated it sacrifices the body Aya is currently in, to create a huge explosion that inflicts serious damage. A new costume is also revealed: China dress.

duckroll said:
Next week's Jump has a preview on the Over Energy skill shown in the final trailer - Inferno. When activated it sacrifices the body Aya is currently in, to create a huge explosion that inflicts serious damage.

So Aya can essentially decide to kill the soldiers that she's 'diving' through for the sake of expediency?

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
So Aya can essentially decide to kill the soldiers that she's 'diving' through for the sake of expediency?

Duh? It's been a part of the gameplay from the very first reveal though. You basically dive into a soldier to fight a monster, and if you fuck up and see a fatal attack coming your way, you dive into another soldier some distance away so you can continue attacking the enemy while it's killing the guy you were just controlling.

The game is fucking SICK! :lol

Effect

Have things drastically changed gameplay wise since Parasite Eve 1? I remember really enjoying that and played through it several times. For me it was Resident Evil like but with a control scheme that actually worked with RPG elements. Also it was during a time where I was a big SquareSoft fanboy. However I didn't bother at all with the PE2 for someone reason.

duckroll said:
Duh? It's been a part of the gameplay from the very first reveal though. You basically dive into a soldier to fight a monster, and if you fuck up and see a fatal attack coming your way, you dive into another soldier some distance away so you can continue attacking the enemy while it's killing the guy you were just controlling.

The game is fucking SICK! :lol

Is there some kind of reward for keeping as many members of the squad as possible alive?

Have things drastically changed gameplay wise since Parasite Eve 1? I remember really enjoying that and played through it several times. For me it was Resident Evil like but with a control scheme that actually worked with RPG elements. Also it was during a time where I was a big SquareSoft fanboy. However I didn't bother at all with the PE2 for someone reason.

3rd Birthday is basically an action RPG with guns.

Grimmy said:

Yep. I would most likely get one if it didn't cost almost as much as a X360 Slim or a used PS3 Slim. That's ridiculous for what you are getting. Not to mention I think portable games are overpriced unless you are buying them used.

duckroll

Finally beat PE. Took a bit longer than I expected (~8-9 hours) mostly because I got stuck in Central Park (the fucking drawer with the FUCKING key arghhhhhhh) and I did a bit of "grinding" in the Museum at the end since it was really fun. The game still holds up very well today, aside from some really dated UI and player friendly issues.

The only thing that bothers me every time I play PE (from the first time I played it) is that the player never gets to control Aya in the chopper when she takes out the monster on Liberty Island. It wouldn't have been too hard to program in a control scheme for a top down battle against the monster with the player controlling the chopper to avoid attacks while firing back when the ATB is full. Oh well, I'm glad vehicles are going to be in T3B at least! :D

Shall start PE2 tomorrow.

Top Bottom