• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z - Tengoku-hen |OT| 7 Years, 4 Systems, 100% Burning Spirit

Shouta

L7TxRkc.png

Title: The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Heavenly Purgatory
Release Date: April 2nd, 2015 (JP)
Platforms: Playstation 3, Playstation Vita, Playstation Vita TV (Cross-save compatible)
Official Site: 第3次スーパーロボット大戦Z 天獄篇
Pre-order Bonus: A code for Rengoku-hen, a side-story that links Jigoku-hen and Tengoku-hen.

Another SRW!? Which one is this?

This is the second game that makes up Super Robot Wars Z3. It's titled Tengoku-hen or "Heavenly Purgatory" chapter for a straight translation.

Tengoku-hen ends the Super Robot Wars Z series which has spanned 7 years, 4 different consoles, and 5 different games.

yBnCRgj.png

Just like the Alpha series, the Z series combines the stories for all of its featured anime and combines with its own elements to create a unique anime world where super robots, military robots, aliens, demons, and all kinds of other forces exist together. SRWZ primarily deals with the concept of dimensions thus being able to bring a lot of unlikely series all together under one umbrella. This is the 3rd game in the series and it’s slated to be the last game in this massive universe.

In SRW Z1, through a string events with Orguss at the center of it, an event called “Break the World” occurred where the barriers between dimensions collapsed and many unique universes combined into one, from the post-apocalyptic setting of Gundam X and Xabungle to the modern world of Seed Destiny and Zeta Gundam. Throughout the trials of the game, the heroes banded together to create the Z Emergency Union of Terristrial Humans, or ZEUTH. The Z was to represent the fact that was there no going back to show their conviction in ending the conflict in the world. They came into conflict with a group called the Chimeras, a force within the Earth government lead by The Eydell Bernal who sought the power of the Spheres, 12 sources of power that are stylized after the 12 animals of the Zodiac. When gathered, these Spheres would give full access to the Taikyoku, or the power to manipulate the universe to the controller’s whim. The protagonists of Z1, Setsuko O’hara (Sorrowful Maiden) and Rand Travis (Wounded Lion) were bearers of these and were also drawn into the conflict and battled both the Chimera Corps and Asakim Dowin a man seeking the spheres to end his eternal torment. ZEUTH was able to defeat The Eydell Bernal to bring an idea to his schemes and bring to the madness and bring peace to their world.

However, ZEUTH’s world wasn’t the only one that was created as a result of Break the World. Another world was created where time had proceeded 20 years (compared to the several in Z1) since the event. In this world, the forces had become consolidated into several super powers that controlled the planet. It was here that many 3rd party groups began their intervention into the world to change it and from those conflicts, the group called Z EXtra International Savers, or ZEXIS was born. The Z was to signify the fact that they would not be X or Y but a 3rd party, Z that would help to oversee the world. This world was also host to Dimensional Monsters, monsters that crossed the fabric of reality. A test unit was created to battle these called the Brasta and Crow Brusto, the man with the million zeni debt, became its test pilot. He joined ZEXIS in their battles and it was during the rise of the Republic Rimoneshia that he learned the truth behind the DMs. They were the beasts of Gaioh, the King of Destruction who came to their dimension through an event that later was called the “Calamity Birth”. ZEXIS was able to stop Gaioh with the aid of ZEUTH, who were stranded in this world as a result of the Calamity Birthday, and bring stability to their world but that wasn’t the end. The world was only in a lull but it erupted into war again with the world powers seeking to achieve their own goals and the coming of the Saint Insaraum Kingdom. The people of the Saint Insaraum Kingom were masters of Dimensional Science and their own world was destroyed by Gaioh. They came to the ZEXIS world seeking a home for themselves and fought to take the planet. It was during this later conflict where the Spheres came into play. Asakim Dowin made his way into the ZEXIS world in search of several spheres while I’m Liard, a man with a sphere of his own sought them as well. Crow woke his Sphere, the Swaying Scales during the conflict. With the help of ZEXIS, ZEUTH, and the other other Sphere Holders, Setsuko and Rand, they were able to defeat the Saint Insaraum Kingdom. However, before them stood Gaioh once again who revealed he was the Dimensional General. He was one of the four people that stood to fight against a coming disaster that crossed dimension and had once ravaged his home. But during the long fight, he became twisted and enjoyed battle to become the King of Destruction. He tested the heroes once again but this time to see if they were ready to defend their universe from utter destruction. Zexis was victorious and brought peace to their world. In the time after, members of ZEUTH and ZEXIS went their separate ways and returned to their dimensions.

After their battles with the Saint Insaraum Kingdom and Gaioh, a new dimensional quake once again fused worlds combining ZEUTH and ZEXIS's planets into one. Despite having just finished the Resurrection War, peace wasn't to last. The two teams joined forces to create a new entity called Z-BLUE. Joining them were the pilots of the Genion, Hibiki Kamishiro and Suzune Saijo. In this new world, Neo Zeon rose up and declared war on the Earth and clashed with Z-BLUE. The Anti-Spirals finally decided to attack the Earth as well and set in motion a battle for their universe. During all of this, an organization called Geminiss worked behind the scenes to enact the "Eternity Flat" a state where all time would cease to move so no one would grow old or be born but living their lives as they are at that moment. Their leader, Gadlight Meonsam, was the pilot of the Geminia and the Sphere reactor for the Quarrelling Twins. As Z-BLUE and Geminiss battled, Hibiki was eventually able to steal the Quarrelling Twins sphere for himself. Once again, Z-BLUE protected the world and defeated even the Anti-Spirals. They were ready for a respite when they were thrown into battle with Shiku from the organization called Sidereal. They were the parent organization of Geminiss. A battle began and when things were looking OK, Shiku revealed himself to be a Sphere Reactor, holding "The Silent Crusteacean", the sphere for Cancer the crab.

This is where our story picks up.

horqj9B.png

v0TNSN5.png

Tag Battle System

4xPPx6o.png

This system returns from SRW 2nd OGs with a bit more Z1 and Alpha 3 flavor. Pair up units into teams to fight on the battlefield. Center, Wide, and All Attack are selectable and determines how you target your enemies.

Tag Tension/Tag Commands

UpPCLq7.png

A system new to SRW, it looks like to be something similar to what is seen in G-Generation games. There’s a Tag Tension meter in the game and it goes up in level when A. A unit levels up or B. One of the unit’s kill count for that stage is greater than a multiple of two.

When the Tension is maxed out, Tag Commands are available and are special team-only spirit commands become available. Those are:

Multi-action: When the chosen unit destroys a full unit (i.e. makes their icon disappear from the map) they’re given an extra turn.
Bonus PP: Increase the PP earned from the next enemy killed by 2
Bonus Chips: Increase the Z Chips earned from the next enemy killed by 2
Charge SP: Restores the Main and Sub unit’s SP by 15

Tactical Combo
R3IIsHR.png

A gauge that gives a bonus to the final damage done by a unit after everything has been calculated. It has 5 levels (1.05 damage bonus at level 1, 1.25 damage bonus at level 5) and it goes up 1 level each time a full enemy unit is destroyed. If your units fail to destroy the enemy, it goes down a level. This bonus also applies to Z Chips and Cash to use for upgrades. When you end your turn, this gauge goes back down to zero.

Maximum Break

3Ex4GSk.png

This system showed up in 2nd OGs and it makes its return in a different format for Z3. Maximum Break can only be used when your Tag Tension is maxed out and upon use reduces that gauge to zero. However, it provides a very powerful attack chance in exchange. During standard attacks, the Sub Unit in a pair can only use their assist weapon. However, with a Maximum Break, they can use any combination of weapons they want. When this is used, the sub’s weapon range restriction is ignored and all weapons are considered Post-Movement usable. Additionally, the damage done by the Main and Sub units during a maximum Break is increased by 1.2 and it will ignore defensive abilities like Counter, Support Defense, or Barrier skills.

D Trader/Ace Talk

p8dHnjd.png

You can initiate a Trader Scenario in-between maps that will allow you to use the Z-Chips you’ve earned. You can buy parts, special systems, or extra items that have unique requirements. You can also have special “Ace talk” events during these as well.

Sub Order

BsSzvuW.png

Returning from Z2, you can send the units you haven’t used in the last mission out to gain things like XP, kills, Cash, or PP to keep them in fighting shape. Instead of 5 units, you’ll be able to send out 6 units at a time this go around.

Z-Crystal

Z-Crystal image[/b]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/3XRr7AP.png

New to Tengoku-hen, you can use your hard-earned Z-Chips to upgrade these crystals to give you abilities to your units or pilots such as using the Scan abilities when a map starts or giving +1 to the Combo gauge when your unit's turn comes around.

lXDiaO0.png

The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-hen PV1
The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-Hen PV2
The Super Robot Wars Z Tengoku-Hen – Look Back Video
The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-hen PV1
The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-hen PV2
Super Robot Wars Z – Look Back Video

aRpMyRk.png

Akurasu’s SRW Wiki – Great resource that’ll be updated with some translated game after it’s released.
The Super Robot Wars Wiki – More in-depth wiki with information about the various titles and characters.
SRW Community Thread - For all your SRW needs.
The Mecha Thread – Love Mecha? come here
The Gundam Official Thread – GUNDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!
The 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Jigoku-hen Official Thread

Bebpo

Banned
Woohooooo let's do this!!

Thanks Shouta!

DLC is up. You can thankfully buy it all as a single pack for 2800yen instead of having to buy one at a time.

Teknoman

And I still wish someone would take on fully translating Z2. Until then...

sad_dog_window-HeddaGjerpen-iStock.jpg

Lol at least I can enjoy the cool attack PV.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't realize this was out so soon

Somehow I'm still burnt out after jigoku hen. Going to wait for the bargain bins on this one

Wait, this is already out!?

Goddammit, there better a Gainax Inazuma Kick.

Also super bummed Gravion and Dancouga aren't in this. I still feel robbed over not having a Final Obari Special.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh god I forgot this came out today and had not pre-ordered it! D:

*grabs coat heads for door*

Thanks for doing up an OT Shouta!

Shouta

I hope to get mine on Saturday but it's more likely I'll get it Monday with how slow USPS has been recently.

Bebpo

Banned
First impressions (from Rengoku-hen, assuming Tengoku-hen will be the same):

-Load times are identical to Jigoku. Still has the 2-3 seconds of nothingness before first line kicks in. Oh well, but didn't have my hopes up here.

-Animations seem...faster? Like maybe they sped them up by 25% or something? I dunno, but feels better right off the bat. Either that are there's some more frames or effects or something. But just feels better animation.

-Numbers are different font/color in Rengoku. Somehow even uglier damage font/color lol

Bebpo

Banned
You know, I think they actually went in and added in between frames. The attacks just feel smoother and don't have that same stiff flat look.

I recall reading that Dancouga Nova used the Z2 sprite in Z3-1 and looked hideous. Does anyone know if its still using the old PSP sprite or if they've finally updated it?

Gutss

Thats was fast, im still on the first Z on the ps2, long way to go, Rand is hilarious in Z and i like it haha.

The gameplay systems look exactly like Z3-1, unless I'm missing something.

Well huge game wider overhauls? No. But the way some individual units function changed up and one or two new pilot skills have been added, along with a new tag tension command. It changes things up a bit.

I mean going merely by some changes I've seen this will probably the first game where I might actually use Gundam DX, heck it might even make my top 3 ace pilot slots. Depending on when and how you get it, along with other critical points like how OP is Wing Zero and when does Heero show up, and when do you get the Moonlight Butterfly.

Just started on Rengoku-Hen. Excite! Hopefully its short and sweet so I can get to the main game on the weekend.

Sakura

Wait... WAIT
This is out today? I thought it was out next week for some reason. Fuck I still haven't finished Bloodborne damn.

Keylow415

Wait... WAIT
This is out today? I thought it was out next week for some reason. Fuck I still haven't finished Bloodborne damn.

im in the same boat as you. i have till moday to finish bloodborne, and ff14 patch 2.55 just came out. man fuck real life i have games to play

Bebpo

Banned
Played through the first five stages of Rengoku. If this is the animation quality that Tengoku has, we're in for a treat.

Crowe's
starting little grunt unit has the animation that FMP should have had and looks great.

Bebpo

Banned
Made it 10 stages into rengoku-hen, will finish tomorrow. Animation is real good, so either the OG units team is just awesome or Tengoku has much better animation. Everything seems faster, more exciting and with more impact. Great music too.

Rengoku is definitely a lot like Dark Prison except with a little more actual relevant plot. Maps are fairly small and short and pacing is quick.

Pehesse

Done with Rengoku, onto Tengoku!

Finished with 12 SR points without even really reading the conditions for them, so I guess that ranks it pretty high on the easy scale. None of the scenario conditions are particularily tricky, but some of them have initial placements/will conditions that change a bit, so that was welcome. I wonder if there are any secrets to find, or even secret flags that'd carry over to Tengoku along with the regular carryover bonus?

Rengoku was definitely a fun little romp, underlining that I like stages with fewer units better overall. The animation disparity was pretty fun too - stuff like Rand's starting unit here has fluidity and rhythm issues reminiscent of Jigoku's, whereas one of the new units (the one with three attacks, one of which being something about a claw) is definitely what I was hoping for, animation wise. I think they have also rebalanced the animation sound effects, some of which were very low before, but maybe I'm just imagining things/used to the balance now.

It's pretty interesting how there are wildly different styles for animating explosions, too - there's the standard gradient FX they used for most of Jigoku, but there's a bit more of the animated flames they've used for Gurren Lagann, a bit of Zeta, and now Gunleon/that other claw mech (and both have quite different aesthetics, too)! I really wonder what's up with that, but I like the end result. More stylised stuff, less generic FX, I'm game!

Now to see what Tengoku has in store - right in the prologue, I'm amused by the pairings we're starting with (definitely not the ones I had at the end of Jigoku, I'm going with the explanation that everyone scrambled a bit in confusion after the reveal and partenered up with the wrong person? :-D).

I think I like the new Tengoku GUI a bit better, too - blue hues instead of a garish rainbow at the bottom, and I find the blue/yellow damage numbers to be clearer, too! So all in all, pretty positive first impressions, let's hope it stays that way.

(In my wildest dreams, Rengoku would be picked up for a digital only release in the West, seeing how it's OG only - of course, there'd be many reasons why not, not the least of which being it's only the middle-end part of a bigger and ongoing plotline - but its relative short length may allow for cheaper/quicker localization and allow to test public receptiveness to OG once again, assuming they'd be properly informed about what the game *is* (ie: basically an appetizer), and priced accordingly... yeah, I know, wild wild dream there.)

Dazza

First impressions (from Rengoku-hen, assuming Tengoku-hen will be the same):

-Load times are identical to Jigoku. Still has the 2-3 seconds of nothingness before first line kicks in. Oh well, but didn't have my hopes up here.

-Animations seem...faster? Like maybe they sped them up by 25% or something? I dunno, but feels better right off the bat. Either that are there's some more frames or effects or something. But just feels better animation.

-Numbers are different font/color in Rengoku. Somehow even uglier damage font/color lol

I wish they had a PS4 version if only for this reason, I always liked SRW better on the SNES than on any Playstations for the instant loading

Vita copy sent by AmiAmi.
I almost picked up the PS3 version to be able to play Rengokuhen but overall, I played the first part much more on Vita than on PS3. So I guess I won't play Rengokuhen.

Diebuster?!? Oh man I just got into it and Gunbuster, but didn't know Die was in here. I beat Z2 and 2.2 with the English translation..guess it's time to make my way through the Z3's.

PS3 or VITA recommendation?

Edit: Also, great OT Shouta!

And I still wish someone would take on fully translating Z2. Until then...

sad_dog_window-HeddaGjerpen-iStock.jpg

Lol at least I can enjoy the cool attack PV.

There is a gamefaqs walkthrough that summarized each chapter in pretty extensive detail. Not exactly a full text translation but I played it with the menu translations patched in and read his summaries and had a great time with it.

I can't believe it's been a year since Z3-1. Too bad I'm not waiting in line in Akihabara for this one, too.

Oh yeah. Let's do this. Row row fight the power.

Pehesse

It's all about the little details!

I LOVE how moving during your turn doesn't diminish the current combo! I'm pretty sure it reduced it by 1 for every move without an action in Jigoku. Also, was there already an easy way to see your current tag tension on the overhead map without pressing X on each unit? I seem to find it a lot easier here, somehow.

I also don't remember moving parts in the maps - here, I've seen a satellite dish rotating, which brings.. uh, a *little* dynamism to the map, but I like it. And lastly, you can see how many enemies you've killed during a mission, in addition to your overall kill count! Helpful for those "everyone needs at least X kills" SR point-types.

For anyone wondering, too, custom music listing works a bit differently, on Vita at least - from my experience, you first need to get to the "select BGM" menu option, then press START to load the list, and the press square to access it. It also loads song titles a lot better that in Jigoku, using the same tracks I have no more remaining "Unknown/No Title" songs!

Done with Rengoku, onto Tengoku!

Finished with 12 SR points without even really reading the conditions for them, so I guess that ranks it pretty high on the easy scale. None of the scenario conditions are particularily tricky, but some of them have initial placements/will conditions that change a bit, so that was welcome. I wonder if there are any secrets to find, or even secret flags that'd carry over to Tengoku along with the regular carryover bonus?

Rengoku was definitely a fun little romp, underlining that I like stages with fewer units better overall. The animation disparity was pretty fun too - stuff like Rand's starting unit here has fluidity and rhythm issues reminiscent of Jigoku's, whereas one of the new units (the one with three attacks, one of which being something about a claw) is definitely what I was hoping for, animation wise. I think they have also rebalanced the animation sound effects, some of which were very low before, but maybe I'm just imagining things/used to the balance now.

It's pretty interesting how there are wildly different styles for animating explosions, too - there's the standard gradient FX they used for most of Jigoku, but there's a bit more of the animated flames they've used for Gurren Lagann, a bit of Zeta, and now Gunleon/that other claw mech (and both have quite different aesthetics, too)! I really wonder what's up with that, but I like the end result. More stylised stuff, less generic FX, I'm game!

Now to see what Tengoku has in store - right in the prologue, I'm amused by the pairings we're starting with (definitely not the ones I had at the end of Jigoku, I'm going with the explanation that everyone scrambled a bit in confusion after the reveal and partenered up with the wrong person? :-D).

I think I like the new Tengoku GUI a bit better, too - blue hues instead of a garish rainbow at the bottom, and I find the blue/yellow damage numbers to be clearer, too! So all in all, pretty positive first impressions, let's hope it stays that way.

(In my wildest dreams, Rengoku would be picked up for a digital only release in the West, seeing how it's OG only - of course, there'd be many reasons why not, not the least of which being it's only the middle-end part of a bigger and ongoing plotline - but its relative short length may allow for cheaper/quicker localization and allow to test public receptiveness to OG once again, assuming they'd be properly informed about what the game *is* (ie: basically an appetizer), and priced accordingly... yeah, I know, wild wild dream there.)

I'm a bit curious since I saw how Rengoku-hen was handled in the digital PS3 version: is it a separate game with it's own trophy list?

muteki

Stayed up last night only to install and get to the first mission. Really looking forward to Diebuster.

Shame they still don't allow screenshots on Vita.

Sakura

Just finished Rengokuhen. Took me about 7~ hours apparently.
It was quite good! I really like Crowe so I'm happy to have him back. Wish he was the protagonist for the main game lol.
Animations seemed a lot better than in the last game.

My copy just left AmiAMi warehouse! It will probably arrive here by Monday, hopefully. Maybe I should play through Z3-1 one more time.

Is there any bonus for Z3-1 completion?

Shouta

My PS3 copy shipped from AmiAmi too. I hope it comes to me by Saturday but it's more likely Monday.

The usual carryover bonuses apply to the game, set bonus for completing 1 run, completing the scenario chart, and then minor bonuses for additional runs through the game.

Pehesse

I'm a bit curious since I saw how Rengoku-hen was handled in the digital PS3 version: is it a separate game with it's own trophy list?

As far as I can see, it's not separate on Vita: I have a single SRWZ3 Tengoku-Hen entry with already several trophies unlocked, most of which I'm fairly certain I haven't unlocked in Tengoku proper since I only played three stages or so. So it appears both Rengoku and Tengoku share the same list, but since I can't read the trophy descriptions, I can't be 100% positive :-D

Another note: I had hoped they'd touch up the "water" background with the radioactive blue color, but no dice. Oh well, so far everything else is pretty nice. It's also pretty funny how most of the new attacks for each unit has way more fluid and dynamic animation than the untouched rest, makes it all feel a bit disjointed :-D

Bebpo

Banned
You know, I actually think loading "is" a little better. I mean it's never been a loading problem, people analyzed this in Jigoku. The problem was that they gave a 2-3 second NOTHINGNESS at the start of all individual animations to cover the "MAXIMUM BREAK" logo showing up when in a maximum break attack. It was a really dumb decision.

Now with individual units, there's still the same 2-3 second pause; nothing's changed. But when you're in a tag team, it seems to go: Instant cut to both units coming out -> one unit moving away -> other unit instantly starts attack. So there's still 2-3 seconds but that's taken up by the teammate coming out and then going away. Don't remember if Jigoku was like that too. I think stuff is generally a little tighter in loading. It's not perfect but it's not too bad.

It's all about the little details!

I LOVE how moving during your turn doesn't diminish the current combo! I'm pretty sure it reduced it by 1 for every move without an action in Jigoku. Also, was there already an easy way to see your current tag tension on the overhead map without pressing X on each unit? I seem to find it a lot easier here, somehow.

I also don't remember moving parts in the maps - here, I've seen a satellite dish rotating, which brings.. uh, a *little* dynamism to the map, but I like it. And lastly, you can see how many enemies you've killed during a mission, in addition to your overall kill count! Helpful for those "everyone needs at least X kills" SR point-types.

For anyone wondering, too, custom music listing works a bit differently, on Vita at least - from my experience, you first need to get to the "select BGM" menu option, then press START to load the list, and the press square to access it. It also loads song titles a lot better that in Jigoku, using the same tracks I have no more remaining "Unknown/No Title" songs!

Yeah, all that stuff is great. It was always annoying losing combo when moving units. And I like seeing the stars for tag tension on the units too.

Just finished Rengokuhen. Took me about 7~ hours apparently.
It was quite good! I really like Crowe so I'm happy to have him back. Wish he was the protagonist for the main game lol.
Animations seemed a lot better than in the last game.

Yeah, Crowe is the best! Can't wait for him to show up in OGs :)

Top Bottom