• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 500+ Club: Those with over this amount in Steam games, how do you organize it?

DryvBy

Look, no one cares about your collection of 50 games that you actually played and that's all you've bought. Pathetic. You don't apply here. I'm talking about the big boys, the big spenders. The ones that made Steam what it is but buying way too much. I'm currently at 3204 games. I just put them in genres but that genre list is too big and I have stuff buried now. What do I do? Or you do?

Edit: Here's an example of why I'm not playing games because I'm too busy organizing crap.
M21DOpS.jpeg

Last edited:

Mowcno

I don't organise at all. If I want to find something I can just use the search function or you can filter by tags to look at a list of something specific.

The only organisation I've done is I have a dozen or so games in my favourites.

Steam is great about ignoring A, AN, THE when alphabet organized.

I thought this was something libraries had figured out a hundred years ago, but digital just hasn't caught onto the concept yet.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
2006 games here. I don't organize except for a few. I have a "shelf" for shmups and a shelf for roguelikes, plus a shelf for horror games. That's it. Mostly I just keep a rolling favorites shelf that I move things on and off of as I play them. Most just slide on by, waiting on me to go "oh yeah, that game! I should play that!", usually after seeing a post on GAF.

T4keD0wN

3 categories
1. Installed (dynamic collection)
2. Obsolete (manual collection for non-remastered versions)
3. Uncategorized (90%+ here)

Id just use "Playnite" instead for auto-sorting and importing details like genres and tags since steam at best cant do that and at worst when it can is just plain bad and unrealiable.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I don't organise at all. If I want to find something I can just use the search function or you can filter by tags to look at a list of something specific.

The only organisation I've done is I have a dozen or so games in my favourites.
I wish I could. I sometimes don't know what games I even have so I'll be in an RTS mood and currently scroll through that shocked I own so many games I've wanted to play at some point.

TheStam

I use a similar organisation as OP. I added a "Playing" category as well which I mostly use as the first tab on the Steam Deck through Decky and CSS Loader.

But mostly I just find myself using "Recently Played" and what's installed. You could hide a body in one of those folders and I probably wouldn't find it.

SoloCamo

Don't know if I should be proud or ashamed to be part of this but I don't really sort them out all. Just A-Z which as previously mentioned, Steam doesn't do a great job handling.

Holammer

Hey check it out, I have precisely 4,800 games right now.
Anyway... I have organized them into collections and I try to tag new purchases appropriately. Sometimes I raid my library to bag & tag the more promising games. They *are* pretty nifty if I look for something specific.

lEHAlLJ.jpeg

I still find that I just sort by recent and play the stuff that manages to stay on top. Unplayed & uninstalled games will just sink further into my Swamp of Sorrows.

StueyDuck

I try to not get too granular with it.

i tend to know where most games are anyway so there's some that double up into other categories but I'm just like meh, i know it's in story even though it's technically a puzzle game.
7TmeFHM.png

Midn1ght

Gold Member
All the games I want in my collection are in FAVORITES, then I have a few categories for PlayStation, Final Fantasy and to keep track of my progress. I'm the kind of guy who buys everything for the games I have (Complete/GOTY Edition, DLC, Cosmetics, Artbooks, etc...) and of course soundtracks so I have quite a few as well.

7jV7j9z.jpeg

The games I don't care about or don't want to see in my collection are hidden.

I also make custom covers for every game I have.

pW1ZYlR.jpeg

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't. This is because I have 261 games.

Even if everything on my wishlist were fulfilled, It'd even out to around 345 games. I am never joining the 500+ club.

.... even if a good 90 percent of those 261 games were acquired within the last 2 years.

DryvBy

All the games I want in my collection are in FAVORITES, then I have a few categories for PlayStation, Final Fantasy and to keep track of my progress. I'm the kind of guy who buys everything for the games I have (Complete/GOTY Edition, DLC, Cosmetics, Artbooks, etc...) and of course soundtracks so I have quite a few as well.

7jV7j9z.jpeg

The games I don't care about or don't want to see in my collection are hidden.

I also make custom covers for every game I have.

pW1ZYlR.jpeg
Those custom covers look perfect! I've been debating on doing that myself with art and making collections for my favorite games.

March Climber

Gold Member
Like music and movies, I simply go by my current mood. You have to have a varied enough library to do this with though.

My advice is to keep yourself locked into a minimum of three games you play on rotation, or else you will feel overwhelmed and never finish games.

Regarding categories, I have ‘Completed’ and ‘Completed/Replay’ which means a game is so good I might want to play that game again, for example Dark Souls. The unfinished stuff is left uncategorized until I complete a game.

StereoVsn

I have bunch of shelves. Favorites for games I replay of course.

And then I have Immediate Backlog, New Games to Play, and Intermediate Backlog.

Then I have a bunch of different genres, Cool Indie and Cool Oldies shelves, and one shelf where I dump all the bundle fodder I am unlikely to ever play.

Unless you are buying dozens of games every month (stop they if you are) organization takes only a few minutes each week. I have about 1,200 Steam games in total.

Damien Grief

Neo Member
I have 2230 games in my library. Anything I'm actively playing, I add to my favorites (along with games I come back to regularly). Other than that, I heavily rely on Dynamic Collections to sort by genre and game type. I only have like 3 groups that I manually manage. Mostly specific publishers (e.g. a group for Sony published games). Then on my library home page, I have a couple of shelves - Recent Games so I can quickly go back to what I was recently playing, Favorites, and the basic "All Games" shelf set to only show installed games and I'll switch it between alphabetical and last played sorting. Anything else I need to find, I just search for.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Wow! Thanks a lot for the Gold dude!

Yeah some take more times than others but I've been doing them for years now. That site has so many covers with different style, super useful.
You are welcome, thank you for the insane amount of custom content. I am sure you can churn through it quickly at this point....you have probably spent more than 2000 hours getting awesome at your work flow, the quality really shows.

Last edited:

ssringo

Gold Member
Uncategorized, hidden, franchises, early access and pr0n. 99% sits in hidden until I go looking for something to pull out.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
I don't have that many, but basically:

-Playing
Currently playing games
-Infinitely replayable/Multiplayer
Basically any game that can be played ad eternum
-Replaying/Will replay
Games i like enough that i consider replaying them from time to time, or games that i need to get around playing new content/DLC
-Weird
Weird shit that i sometimes get for 0.99 out of morbid curiosity
-To play
My great backlog game dungeon that i'll definitely get around to playing everything
-Finished
Games i've beaten and probably will never touch again
-Unfinished/Shame corner
Final Fantasy XV
-Uncategorized
Any left over trash

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Only have 3 categories: cool games, VR games, and everything else, which is were the Humble Bundle leftovers go to die.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
1,248 games here.

I don't organize them. I mindlessly scroll through until i find one i want to play. Or filter by controller, rpg, etc.

Brb scroll through my list
Brb find something I want to play
Brb see if there is anything better further down the list
Brb narrow it down to a couple games
Brb scroll back through list
Brb don't end up playing anything

And this is the story of how I haven't played any games in my steam library in years.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Why would anyone "own" that many games? What's even the point lol. Must be some kind of digital hoarding problem

Humble Bundle for years (usually only want 1 game or I forget to pause for the month)
Fanatical crap
Free games from friends
Steam sales when they were S Tier and $100 got you like 100 games

El Muerto

I'm at 1700 games. I got one section for games i beaten and wont play again, another section for games my wife might like, and another of games i need to check out. I dont mess with all the other games. Most of my library is filler because i usually buy bundles. Sometimes the game i want is cheaper in a bundle so i buy those instead. If i'm in the mood to play something new or to find a specific game (multiplayer/horror/etc) i use the advanced filtering for tags.

Top Bottom