• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 87th Academy Awards |OT| The One That Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdanVC

I'm kinda tired of only see Disney or freaking Pixar movies winning the animation category all the time. Ugh, sad Princess Kaguya didn't win :(

jtb

Banned
What is up with not showing actual, proper clips and footage for the visual effects and animated short/film nominees? Seriously whoever decided that is an idiot. Ever since I was a kid one of my favorite things about the Oscars was watching the footage for the SPFX nominees and learning about new animated shorts I never knew about. But no, let's just keep the timer on the show running any way we can.

sorry we need more uninspired jokes and canned routines

jackdoe

Big Hero 6 completely fell apart as a movie after the team got together. The second half of the movie was such a mess that it wasted the potential of the first half. Because of that, I wouldn't call it a bad movie, just a mediocre movie.

RusselUp

A little surprised that HTTYD2 didn't win it after the Golden Globes win but being in LA, heard all the heavy marketing campaign for Big Hero 6 after the Oscar noms came out. Definitely think they made a huge difference/shift in the vote.

shamelessly stolen from Narag over at the Anime thread when I said Kaguya got snubbed
YqRstq1.jpg

God, even with just ten seconds of Somewhere Over the Rainbow I get emotional. Greatest film song ever and always will be. One of the great songs of all time.

Garraboa

I just want for tbhe 88th awards to happen so that Marnie can lose and I can finally stop paying attention to this "Best Animated Feature" Bullshit farce.

The animated film category is brought to you by Walt Disney Studios.

You can participate, but we shall win.

I loved Big Hero 6 tho lol :p

Like when the pinguins dancing won instead of cars that year, am I right?

But yeah, Lego was robbed this year.

And Brave fucked up wreck it ralph two years ago.
Fuck the animation voting, they know 0.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Real talk, do you think Academy members even get half of the pop culture references in Lego Movie?

Who cares? The Lego Movie should have won for doing something different with 3D animation rather than the same generic style every fucking Pixar/DAS/Dreamworks movie is a slave to.

Big Hero 6 completely fell apart as a movie after the team got together. The second half of the movie was such a mess that it wasted the potential of the first half. Because of that, I wouldn't call it a bad movie, just a mediocre movie.

replacing a topic norm with a female version: "woman up". VISIONARY

It's fucking bad.

Nakho

We getting in on predictions?

Okay, let's do it! Hollywood Reporter Oscar Voter Superpowers ACTIVATE! Now I can correctly choose which movie will win awards for artistic merit without having actually seen all the movies I will be rewarding!

BEST PICTURE: Birdman ("A movie about making movies that feels SERIOUS. We can't resist")
BEST DIRECTOR: Richard Linklater - Boyhood (Insert stupid RLM 12 years meme here)
BEST ACTOR: Michael Keaton - Birdman (He's due)
BEST ACTRESS: Julianne Moore - Still Alice (She's Julianne Moore)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: JK Simmons - Whiplash (The lockiest lock of the entire night)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Patricia Arquette - Boyhood (If the movie is at all engaging, it's because of her & Hawke)
BEST ANIMATED FILM: Big Hero 6 (Boxtrolls is too ugly, Kaguya is too "weird.")
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Emmanuel Lubezki - Birdman ("It was all one shot!")
BEST COSTUME DESIGN: Anna B. Shepard - Maleficent ("Those HORNS!")
BEST DOCUMENTARY: Citizenfour ("I think this is important, right? The other one's about the lady who took pictures. This one, I guess")
BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT: The Reaper ("Sounds serious. Can't resist")
BEST EDITING: Sandra Adair - Boyhood (Repeat stupid RLM 12 years meme here)
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: Ida ("Nuns that smoke are smoking hot.")
BEST MAKEUP & HAIRSTYLING: Guardians of the Galaxy ("They made Vin Diesel look like a Tree!")
BEST SCORE: Alexander Desplat - The Grand Budapest Hotel ("Interstellar was just, like, a guy sitting on an organ.")
BEST SONG: Everything is Awesome - The Lego Movie ("I don't even like this song")
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN: The Grand Budapest Hotel ("I want a Mendl's box")
BEST ANIMATED SHORT: Feast ("It's title is a verb. Makes it sound serious.")
BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT: The Phone Call ("Butter Lamp sounded kinda awesome, but a Phone Call - that could be serious.")
BEST SOUND EDITING: American Sniper ("There's gunshots in there.")
BEST SOUND MIXING: Whiplash ("I guess he wasn't even really drumming!")
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS: Interstellar ("I mean, they made Vin Diesel look like a tree, but Interstellar was in outer space, like, the whole time")
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Jason Hall - American Sniper ("It was based on a true story! I guess so were some of the others, but they were boring and British.")
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Wes Anderson, Hugo Guinness - Grand Budapest Hotel ("I liked it more than any of the other movies, but it's not serious. So it gets this")

OK, this is getting creepy now. You only got 3 wrong, and in some very unimportant categories. Are you the President of the Academy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom