• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 88th Academy Awards |OT| Sixth Time's A Charm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Message of it was good, nothing wrong with it, but her dramatic performance was too much. It was distracting.

Probably because of how personal the song is to her too.

If her being too dramatic is what you got out of that performance than I don't know what to tell you.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That probably wasn't acting, given the subject matter and how it relates to her personally.

I recognize this as being the case, but in all honesty it looked really inauthentic to me. That was my genuine reaction. I understand factually that she has a history with the subject matter so I'm not going to rail on it, but I can understand how people would think so.

In any case, I don't think it's a good song regardless of how praiseworthy its intent might be.

zethren

Banned
I don't blame her at all for being out of tune. She gets a huge pass on that. I cannot even begin to imagine what it felt like to sing that song in her shoes. It was beautiful.

Ithil

Next up is Best Actor...just kidding, we have Leo hooked up to our California reservoirs so we're letting him sweat a little longer.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
It's kinda crazy Mad Max is most likely walking away with Best Picture and Best Director. Never would of thought that before actually seeing the movie. Best Oscars I've watched in a really long fucking time tbh.

nib95

Banned
That probably wasn't acting, given the subject matter and how it relates to her personally.

Well, it was obviously still part of her performance, in the sense that the general emotional response to that sort of abuse or what not is not randomly kicking arms and legs out, only during the chorus, during a probably much rehearsed performance in front of a massive audience. My guess is it was her way of expressing anger in the midst of the message, but from a visual perspective it was just a bit much. Then again, the end was extremely powerful and the vocals incredible.

oni_saru

stfu about her being dramatic she was raped for christsakes
Yeah some of the reactions here. Jeez.

If not now, then when should we talk about sexual abuse? It seems kind of random to have Biden show up but when you think about, it's a live event with many people watching. A good time to spread the message.

It was a really powerful moment. And the survivors on stage. It really got me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom