• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
If I wasn't such a punk bitch I'd be all over it but I need the car to be a 4 seater... I can let it slide it no being an 07 considering the mileage and price..

Yeah, i poked around at some 350zs but I just could not do it. For a 2nd car great but for your only car when you are over 25? No way.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yeah, i poked around at some 350zs but I just could not do it. For a 2nd car great but for your only car when you are over 25? No way.

It's my dream car too man... It and the TL are my favorite designs out of a landslide of vehicles... (I forgot who despises the 350z in here because I know one of you hates it with a passion don't kill me lol)

But man this fucking car would be mine if it at least had ghetto rear seats...

God damn life why are you so unfair?

Zyzyxxz

It's my dream car too man... It and the TL are my favorite designs out of a landslide of vehicles... (I forgot who despises the 350z in here because I know one of you hates it with a passion don't kill me lol)

After driving a Celica for a while I don't want to bother with 2 door cars with back seats, I mean what's the point? When you and your dudebros want to head out for the night it ain't sexy for them to be awkwardly squeezing out of the back seat, in fact it can be embarrassing in certain situations (aka the valet). Or you got to drive grandparents to do something it's just not comfortable for them to get in and out of it. I guess if you are a true player and want to drive your girlfriend and her two girlfriends to go shopping sure.

If I'm getting a second car it will be a straight 2 seater. Most likely an S2000 or Miata. Until then I'll stick with my sedan.

coldfoot

Banned
Too bad all the improvements of the 370Z over 350Z came at the expense of styling, as the original 350Z still looks really good.

4 seater 350Z is called the G37 coupe.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Dat... DAT ASS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Niss...0563018?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4601f5494a

If I wasn't such a punk bitch I'd be all over it but I need the car to be a 4 seater... I can let it slide it no being an 07 considering the mileage and price..

GOD me and my wanting for shit to make sense.

That's my friend's car in your pic. Unfortunately, he's selling it. He's had it for 5 or 6 years now. Tons and tons of work done to it. I think a big single slapped on to it, putting down 500 on a built block.

lmfao it's me. I fucking hate the 350z. What an ugly, shitty car. 370z >>>>>>>>>>>> 350z

I woudl rather have the option available then no option at all.

and why not consider an MR2?

Because MR2's are shit compared to S2000's.

TylerD

Did not know that opinions on automobile styling could be wrong.
Most people, at least in the US, did not really like the 370z styling, as evidenced by sales figures 2009 onwards.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/nissan-370z-sales-figures.html

It probably had absolutely nothing to do with the economic downturn. I like 350s but the ass just doesn't do it for me.

My roommate owned both a 350 and a 370 and he thought the 370 was better than the 350 in pretty much every way.

Zyzyxxz

Let's not bring up the 350 vs 370 stylings again. Last time we had fors and against for both so it's going to stalemate either who shouts the loudest.

But I am with the 350z has better styling camp for clarification.
3AQmK.gif

J-Rzez

Because MR2's are shit compared to S2000's.

I'm curious why you think this? They have a mid-engine design, can be made to handle just as well, and have more potential for easy notable power increases. And they look better imho. Sure if you're making a bit more power you need to get some additional cooling, but if you're adding a lot of power to the s2k you have to do a lot of supporting mods there as well.

I like the 370Z styling better than 350z but not much.

But for me the 370z drive better than the 350z, seem more nimble and alive.

Not much of a fan of the w20 MR2s but there quick lil cars with crazy lift-throttle over steer. One of the the few cars that I would hate to drive on the rain.

I do like Mr2 spyders because of the handling, only if they would have put 2ZZ-GE in there then the Mr2 spyder would have been a beast....well like a poor mans lotus elis..

AlphaSnake

Did not know that opinions on automobile styling could be wrong.
Most people, at least in the US, did not really like the 370z styling, as evidenced by sales figures 2009 onwards.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/nissan-370z-sales-figures.html

Once again, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Nissan doesn't manufacture many 370Zs in general. In fact, they slowed down manufacturing of 350Zs every year considerably, and beginning in 2007 they brought it to a crawl, until they gradually ended up where they are now today. They want the Z to be more exclusive and keep its resale value higher.

The 350Z sold in droves because Nissan flooded the market with the car in its first few years, they made tons of them and dealers had them sitting on lots for many months, often selling below invoice and often selling left over inventory. The 370Z is more expensive, came at a significantly different economy, and made available in much, much, much smaller quantities. I suggest you sit back and read around a bit first before throwing out random gibberish.

And also, the 4-seater 350Z is not the G37. It's the G35.

coldfoot

Banned
Once again, you have no clue what you're talking about.
Who gave you the authority to definitively state that the 370Z looks better than 350Z? You can't say I'm wrong when I say "Too bad all the improvements of the 370Z over 350Z came at the expense of styling, as the original 350Z still looks really good." That's the only problem I have with your post and your assertion that EVERYONE must think the 370z looks better and you're wrong if you disagree. You can't say that, nobody can..

And also, the 4-seater 350Z is not the G37. It's the G35.
Potato, Potato.

Enron

Banned
Oh look, another autoGAF fight.

:/

Anyways, it's no big shock that as a generation of a car ages, it's sales go down.

The 370z is indeed a better car than the 350z. Interior is far better, mechanically, etc etc.

Looks are extremely subjective. Personally I think the 350 is a better looking car, something seems odd about the ass-end of the 370 to me. However, one thing I am sure of is that neither of these designs is going to age well.

stop rubbing it in my face :(

There's a red one in Livermore that the guy has been trying to sell since last summer...

Mercedes W124 500E are pretty gangster too. Basically the E34 M5's direct competitor. I'd want to own one, but same thing about M5's....needs special attention, especially the wiring harness degrading. But it is known to be a bit more reliable as a daily driver than an E34 M5. The guy who bought my M5 also owned a Mercedes 500E AND a Porsche 964 911, completing the German trifecta of the 90s! They can be had for a reasonable amount because not too many people know what they are.

500e1992016.jpg

hhhnnnnggg

I like that car, I do. But it screams drug dealer or pimp.

AlphaSnake

Who gave you the authority to definitively state that the 370Z looks better than 350Z? You can't say I'm wrong when I say "Too bad all the improvements of the 370Z over 350Z came at the expense of styling, as the original 350Z still looks really good." That's the only problem I have with your post and your assertion that EVERYONE must think the 370z looks better and you're wrong if you disagree. You can't say that, nobody can..

Potato, Potato.

So you totally ignored the fact that you were wrong about the sales of the 370Z having nothing to do with the style of the car and decided to harp on some tongue-in-cheek sarcasm
quasi-troll
I made?

I owned a 350Z for 3 years btw, and then bought a 370Z. Apart from the nasty chrome on the headlights of the 370Z (which was the first thing to disappear on my car), there really isn't a whole lot worse about the 370Z's looks over the 350Z's. They both look great in their own respective way, though the older 350Zs look outdated with their standard headlights and non-LED taillights.

Zyzyxxz

Eh, he's our token 370Z owner.

J-Rzez

Well, this didn't take long for the BRZ:

I asked Masuda-san point-blank if indeed there will be an STI-style turbocharged BRZ by the time this generation reaches the middle of its life in two-and-a-half or three years. A number came out of his mouth that raised my eyebrows. "In future, there is the thought to have as much as 280 horsepower."

That's to be turbocharged of course, so the torque should be in the same ballpark. At that much power which is surely just to be a 50-100lb increase of weight, and hopefully 30k, this would be the bargain car to buy. Not only that, but it will easily humiliate probably everything out there sub-50k on the course. Actually now that I think about it, it would probably be around 32k, as a STI model it'll surely get proper Brembo's, wheels, and tires finally too.

Well, this didn't take long for the BRZ:

That's to be turbocharged of course, so the torque should be in the same ballpark. At that much power which is surely just to be a 50-100lb increase of weight, and hopefully 30k, this would be the bargain car to buy. Not only that, but it will easily humiliate probably everything out there sub-50k on the course. Actually now that I think about it, it would probably be around 32k, as a STI model it'll surely get proper Brembo's, wheels, and tires finally too.

I really doubt it will humiliate anything sub 50k. And if it wears the the sti moniker it will be more than 32k. ...lil stuff like sti emblems on the steering/seats will adds $$....

J-Rzez

I really doubt it will humiliate anything sub 50k. And if it wears the the sti moniker it will be more than 32k. ...lil stuff like sti emblems on the steering/seats will adds $$....

With it's handling figures on those junk "go-green" tires, I think it'll pull off some ridiculous numbers just with a proper wheel/tire combo, both in handling and braking. At this car's weight, at 280hp with it's handling it'll roll over many cars on the course, like the Elise/Exige did.

With it's handling figures on those junk "go-green" tires, I think it'll pull off some ridiculous numbers just with a proper wheel/tire combo, both in handling and braking. At this car's weight, at 280hp with it's handling it'll roll over many cars on the course, like the Elise/Exige did.

But I doubt it will be around $32k ...more like above $35k. Kinda like how wrx->sti ...

J-Rzez

But I doubt it will be around $32k ...more like above $35k. Kinda like how wrx->sti ...

There are many-many more "man hours" put into the STI above the WRX with all the additional plating and welding alone. Basically a lot of chassis stiffening, and clever diffs. If that's not needed with the BRZ, which is entirely possible as it seems to have a solid foundation as is, then it may just need some brakes, the other mill with IC, and better wheels/tires. So perhaps 32-35k then I'll concede. :)

Now, if they were to get all whacky with a widebody treatment, then I can see the thing start to climb past 35k.

I'm curious why you think this? They have a mid-engine design, can be made to handle just as well, and have more potential for easy notable power increases. And they look better imho. Sure if you're making a bit more power you need to get some additional cooling, but if you're adding a lot of power to the s2k you have to do a lot of supporting mods there as well.

Which MR2 are you talking about? 2nd gen turbo or 3rd gen Spyder? The turbo is almost impossible to find in good condition and the Spyder needs a 2zz swap and tons of suspension work to compete with a stock s2k.

There are many-many more "man hours" put into the STI above the WRX with all the additional plating and welding alone. Basically a lot of chassis stiffening, and clever diffs. If that's not needed with the BRZ, which is entirely possible as it seems to have a solid foundation as is, then it may just need some brakes, the other mill with IC, and better wheels/tires. So perhaps 32-35k then I'll concede. :)

Now, if they were to get all whacky with a widebody treatment, then I can see the thing start to climb past 35k.

The thing is, there not just going to slap a turbo in there. It will even take more "man hour" to turn a BRZ NA to Turbo BRZ. The design of the inter-cooler itself will need planning. A front mounted inter-cooler will have to result of them doing a front collision test and so on.

a regular base impreza -> STI price jump is huge!

so if there will be an in between model it should be like the "WRX" version, the price model should be similar to

BRZ(base Impreza) -> BRZ turbo(WRX) -> STI ....price accordingly.

J-Rzez

Which MR2 are you talking about? 2nd gen turbo or 3rd gen Spyder? The turbo is almost impossible to find in good condition and the Spyder needs a 2zz swap and tons of suspension work to compete with a stock s2k.

I'm talking about the real MR2, the turbo. The MR-S was, well... yeah. Even with the 1zz kits boosting the power, and great suspension kits, the final thing I couldn't get past was the fugly looks imo lol.

The thing is, there not just going to slap a turbo in there. It will even take more "man hour" to turn a BRZ NA to Turbo BRZ. The design of the inter-cooler itself will need planning. A front mounted inter-cooler will have to result of them doing a front collision test and so on.

a regular base impreza -> STI price jump is huge!

so if there will be an in between model it should be like the "WRX" version, the price model should be similar to

The piping and design of an intercooler wouldn't be much of an issue. Look how small the WRX IC is, basically it's a tiny bit bigger than the old typical sidemounts. So they could even do a side mount if called for. That wouldn't take much to design.

The motor itself is already being designed for the WRX/STI. R&D costs would be split among the 3 models.

Right, so a $5000 difference, which would bring it up to 30-32k then. The "STI" in this probably wouldn't be as big a jump in models from a Impret-za to the STI, it would be a Imp to a WRX most likley. Oh well, one can hope.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
My alignment is all blah because it's chewing up the inside of my front tires. It only took 3.5k miles for the inside tire to go bald.

I even had custom balljoints installed and a full alignment done a couple of years back ($500 :(:(), but it seems to have gotten progressively worse somehow. I need to go in and get the alignment fixed again.

Worst part? New tires: $700 :(:(

sfedai0

Banned
I think Im gonna go hardtop for my S2k. Verts are fun but personally, I dont enjoy driving as much when there is all that wind and other residual noises.

AlphaSnake

My alignment is all blah because it's chewing up the inside of my front tires. It only took 3.5k miles for the inside tire to go bald.

I even had custom balljoints installed and a full alignment done a couple of years back ($500 :(:(), but it seems to have gotten progressively worse somehow. I need to go in and get the alignment fixed again.

Holy crap. Your toe angle must've been whaaaacked to be dragging your wheels to the point where they went bald in 3500 miles. A lot of people forget it's the toe, not the camber, that chews up the tires.

I'm talking about the real MR2, the turbo. The MR-S was, well... yeah. Even with the 1zz kits boosting the power, and great suspension kits, the final thing I couldn't get past was the fugly looks imo lol.

Well, the MR2 turbo will get spanked on a track by an S2000 simply because the MR2 will get heat soak and lose tons of power. The chassis also isn't as good as an S2000's, despite being a coupe. The suspension isn't nearly as good, that MacPherson setup doesn't hold a candle to the S2000's double wishbone all-around setup. You'd have to do a lot of handling mods to get an MR2 turbo up to S2000 handling levels.

A lot of people don't know this, but the S2000 is technically mid-engine as well. It's just a front-mid engine car. That greatly helps with the extreme balance that it achieves between weight distribution and suspension setup.

So basically to keep up/beat a stock S2000, an MR2 turbo needs...

New wheels/tires
New suspension setup (for both handling and to be able to adjust alignment properly)
Bolt-ons + tune
Better cooling so it doesn't get heatsoaked.

Don't get me wrong, I love the MR2 Turbo. But overall, it's just not as great of a performance car as an S2000.

Damn, I hate when shit like that happens. So easy to ruin tires. Where you buying thetires from, and what kind?

I think Im gonna go hardtop for my S2k. Verts are fun but personally, I dont enjoy driving as much when there is all that wind and other residual noises.

There's still wind noise with a hardtop on an S2000... how much depends on what kit you use to mount it and how well you install it. OEM is the quietest.

So basically to keep up/beat a stock S2000, an MR2 turbo needs...

New wheels/tires
New suspension setup (for both handling and to be able to adjust alignment properly)
Bolt-ons + tune
Better cooling so it doesn't get heatsoaked.

plus with all those the MR2 turbo will be even scarier to drive....over sensitive lift snap oversteer with such a small cars terrifies me.

plus with all those the MR2 turbo will be even scarier to drive....over sensitive lift oversteer with such a small cars terrifies me.

Totally agreed. At least the S2000 doesn't generate so much torque that you have to deal with gobs of wheelspin in addition to the throttle lift oversteer. And it's very easy to tune out the oversteer in an S2000, the AP2's especially are very forgiving to drive.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Holy crap. Your toe angle must've been whaaaacked to be dragging your wheels to the point where they went bald in 3500 miles. A lot of people forget it's the toe, not the camber, that chews up the tires.

Yeah something is off. I'll need to get it fixed. I thought I had it fixed once I did the balljoints and custom alignment, but it still persists.

Damn, I hate when shit like that happens. So easy to ruin tires. Where you buying thetires from, and what kind?

Sumitomo HTR Z III, $139/ea at TireRack. DiscountTire price matches.

plus with all those the MR2 turbo will be even scarier to drive....over sensitive lift snap oversteer with such a small cars terrifies me.

Don't let it scare you, its not as bad as they say, my old SW20 wasnt that bad but a joy to drive.

not to mention the improvements on the 93+ cars to remove such sensitivity.

Besides, with the price difference between an S2k and an MR2 turbo, all that new suspension cost evens it out.

Yeah something is off. I'll need to get it fixed. I thought I had it fixed once I did the balljoints and custom alignment, but it still persists.

Sumitomo HTR Z III, $139/ea at TireRack. DiscountTire price matches.

Damn, tire prices must've skyrocketed! What are those, 255/40/17's? I remember when I was buying 255/40/17 HTR Z III's, they were like $93/ea. :| That was last year.

Edit: Must be 18", that's why...

Don't let it scare you, its not as bad as they say, my old SW20 wasnt that bad but a joy to drive.

not to mention the improvements on the 93+ cars to remove such sensitivity.

Besides, with the price difference between an S2k and an MR2 turbo, all that new suspension cost evens it out.

Guess you missed the part where finding a clean MR2 turbo is almost impossible. They cost at least $8-10k clean. A clean AP1 S2000 can be had for $10-12k. So nope. Still doesn't even it out.

paskowitz

Could anyone tell me why a used Mazda RX-8 are cheaper than a used Honda Civic these days? I am guessing fuel economy and high insurance costs.

I am trying to buy a used car for under $15000 but want something a bit more interesting than a Honda or a Corolla, I came across a 2005 G35 but apparently the insurance for that is insane in Canada and the fuel is expensive as well, I am guessing thats the same for an RX-8 as well, hence why they are cheaper.

I am using this site to compare fuel mileage and all that http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Also looked at the 2005 and 2006 Acura TL, but that looked like it had poor fuel mileage as well.

Any other suggestionsÉ

Because the number of wankle mechanics is inversely proportional to the amount of money it takes to fix a wankle engine.

AlexMogil

I kinda consider the BRZ to WRX-y already. So, one jump up to the Sti. So maybe they do an Sti model like a Premium with the engine, brakes, suspension, intercooler, and picnic table and then 2-3k more for a Limited with a couple more toys.

Damn, tire prices must've skyrocketed! What are those, 255/40/17's? I remember when I was buying 255/40/17 HTR Z III's, they were like $93/ea. :| That was last year.

Edit: Must be 18", that's why...

Guess you missed the part where finding a clean MR2 turbo is almost impossible. They cost at least $8-10k clean. A clean AP1 S2000 can be had for $10-12k. So nope. Still doesn't even it out.

nah not if you know where to look, either way a nice set of coilovers for about a grand.

regardless, whose going to leave a car stock anyway.

mr2xxx

Banned

I had one amazing car but yeah it will bite you in the ass if you are not careful. BE EXTREMELY careful in the rain, I'm still traumatized to this day from spinning out on the freeway. You get used to the handling after some practice and the 93+ versions revised the suspension to reduce the snap oversteer. It won't be a better track car than a S2000 but it's probably more fun for everyday driving with the occasional "spirited driving" with it's torque advantage and cheaper to increase HP. The biggest issue with the car is age and I just wouldn't get a 20 y/o sports car.

I had one amazing car but yeah it will bite you in the ass if you are not careful. BE EXTREMELY careful in the rain, I'm still traumatized to this day from spinning out on the freeway. You get used to the handling after some practice and the 93+ versions revised the suspension to reduce the snap oversteer. It won't be a better track car than a S2000 but it's probably more fun for everyday driving with the occasional "spirited driving" with it's torque advantage and cheaper to increase HP. The biggest issue with the car is age and I just wouldn't get a 20 y/o sports car.

So you prefer the MRS?

mr2xxx

Banned
So you prefer the MRS?

MRS to what an 90's MR2 & S2000? I have never driven one so I can't say for sure. Styling wise they are inferior, power wise inferior, they seem fun to drive like a miata but I don't see myself ever getting that type of car unless I wanted something like an Elise.

Yup, same here....SW20 in heavy rain is a nightmare, it spins like a top.

The MR-S handling is much improved, it is so pleasant compared to the SW20 turbo, but lacks the power. A MR-S + 2zzge would be a nice track car..

Pterion

Testdrove the new F30 BMW 328i. Much better compared to the last 328i, but still not nearly as fun as a 335i. Anybody else tried it?

Pterion

How would you say the turbo-4 compares to the inline-6 from the previous one?
Quieter, but more fun (increased torque makes it a pleasure in regular daily driving, imo). I'm no car reviewer, so I'm a bit lost for words. Try it out really. You won't be disappointed. Personally I think I'm over the whole entry-level luxury car thing. While the new 328 is fun, it's not worth shelling 50k canadian on it. I'll be patient and keep my current car, and hopefully make a significant leap in car class in 4-5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom