• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
1) Buy a RX8 with high mileage and good chassis for under $10k
2) Swap a LS2 in it for $5k
3) Profit

Could anyone tell me why a used Mazda RX-8 are cheaper than a used Honda Civic these days? I am guessing fuel economy and high insurance costs.

Any other suggestionsÉ

rotary engine's are time bombs.

especially on the FD3S RX7s...dayam apex seals.

Not worth the extra attention it need compare to piston engines....thats why people swap LS1s on them...

stay away from rotorys!!

Doomsayer

In my opinion. Unless you really really love the car, I would sell it. There seem to be certain cars that no matter what you do to it, there will always be issues. Maybe your car is one of those cars...

Some of your issues are easy enough fix though. Did you install the mods yourself? if a shop did, is the shop reliable? Is the car tuned?

I did all of the modifications myself and it's tuned by a very reputable Subaru tuner. He was a former Cobb employee turned rogue, haha.

Virtually everything was an easy fix, but I just keep getting nickel and dimed to death.

Modding can be a frustrating experience at times. Did you do all the work yourself? I do most of the work on my car but I take it in every 30k or so just in case there's something I am missing. That's obviously more money that what you've spent already but just an idea.

Also, for shame! Masking your Torques with Subaru center caps. Good day sir, I said good day!

Me and my buddies are huge car guys, so we know the ins and outs of most all cars. Everything I've done I've done correctly and to the point.

The Rota centercaps are so ugly. They remind of the Houston Rockets "R" logo, and any respectable Laker fan can't have that. :)

Grand Prix White S2000s are so clean.

stop rubbing it in my face :(

Thanks for the detailed input. My worry about the S2000 are owners who trashed it. I'll keep all of that in mind when I get closer to actually checking out cars.

That is the one in question, though craigslist auto-ads are typically not very detailed. I agree for a car like that he should have included info about the service records.

There's a red one in Livermore that the guy has been trying to sell since last summer...

Mercedes W124 500E are pretty gangster too. Basically the E34 M5's direct competitor. I'd want to own one, but same thing about M5's....needs special attention, especially the wiring harness degrading. But it is known to be a bit more reliable as a daily driver than an E34 M5. The guy who bought my M5 also owned a Mercedes 500E AND a Porsche 964 911, completing the German trifecta of the 90s! They can be had for a reasonable amount because not too many people know what they are.

500e1992016.jpg

hhhnnnnggg

Why the fuck would you put an RX7 engine in there? Inferior engine to the LS1. NA LS1 >>>>>> 20B any way you put it. And that's before you boost any LSx.

LSx swap into RX7/RX8 would be a near-perfect overall car.

B20? screw that honda crap

and remove the twin turbos from it tune it for NA, rotaries are much more reliable as NA.

He meant the 20B... not the B20 Honda engine. lol

Why the fuck would you put an RX7 engine in there? Inferior engine to the LS1. NA LS1 >>>>>> 20B any way you put it. And that's before you boost any LSx.

LSx swap into RX7/RX8 would be a near-perfect overall car.

He meant the 20B... not the B20 Honda engine. lol

and the 20B is from the cosmo, the sound of the engine alone is worth it, it is lighter than a LS2 if I remember.

yup....I meant the 20B from cosmo thats why the 20k price for the swap!

any LSx >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any rotary, NA or Turbo, 1 rotor , 2 rotor, 3 rotor...

and when was the B series honda motor crap? they run forever....

B18c5 > anything with an apex seal....

I dont care if they run forever

anything honda <<< Crap

ok maybe they S2000 is an exemption.

NSX, S2000, Civic Type R (all variants), Integra Type R (all variants), RSX-S, TL 6 spd + Type S 6 speed, Prelude Type SH, CRX, Mugen RR, S500, S600, S800, Prelude Si 4WS, and more...

They all want you to have a big cup of "you don't know what the fuck you're talking about." I guarantee you don't know a damn thing about Hondas and that you're ignorant as hell about cars in general.

Honda makes some of the finest engines in the world and they have produced two of the greatest rear wheel drive and front wheel drive cars in the world. They have one of the most distinguished racing histories among fierce competition from the Germans, Americans, and Italians, and they have some of the most passionate enthusiasts and celebrated car cultures in the world. They are some of the most raced cars in the world, grassroots and professional, and with very good reason.

To put it simply, you're not worthy to judge Hondas because you can't even comprehend what they have accomplished in the automotive world. Just leave this thread in shame because true enthusiasts understand and love Hondas because they are equally as great as the other top-notch marques in the world.

and the 20B is from the cosmo, the sound of the engine alone is worth it, it is lighter than a LS2 if I remember.

Nope, wrong. 20BTT weighs more than an LS2. LS2 only weighs a couple of pounds more than an NA 13B.

And a 20B will NEVER produce the torque an LSx does or have the incredible power band. It'll never be as durable or as efficient. It doesn't have close to the same potential. There is a reason that LSx is the king of motor swaps.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah I am giving the BRZ the benefit of the doubt, but the 370z is pretty dayam fun to drive though...and its pretty fast...

Yep. 370Zs feel light on their feet, the steering is phenomenal and precise, much better than my old 350Z's steering which made the car feel heavy.

Are you at least going to drive one?

MT was able to get 6.4s to 60 with 5500 rpm clutch drop, yeah not ever going to be doing that.

Somehow I have a feeling MT didn't shift it into 3rd and just recorded the top of 2nd gear as 60MPH (not all GPS-based equipment for detecting speed are made equal). But yeah, no one is going to be dumping this car's clutch to drive it off a light. You can do that to a 370Z and get a mid-4s 0-60 launch easily, but it's absolute hell on the drivetrain and not indicative of real life performance.

But yes, I will hopefully be sampling one during the NY Auto Show press days, just gotta talk to a Subie or Toyota rep on setting up a drive. I know the Toyota dealer in my neighborhood has one sitting there.

I am sorry but in talking about sports car applications, FWD has no place in discussion.

so you are saying that the S2000 not only beats out the Miata, but the mid engine MR2 and the Z3/Z4?

and Toyotas Dual VVT-i tears up V-tec anyday, face it Toyotas 4 cylinder engines are better than Honda's anyday, I mean what engines do Lotus' use in their cars?

its a shame that 95% of the cars you listed by honda were FWD, understeer sucks.

Zyzyxxz

and Toyotas Dual VVT-i tears up V-tec anyday, face it Toyotas 4 cylinder engines are better than Honda's anyday, I mean what engines do Lotus' use in their cars?

As a Toyota fan that may have been true once but their applications of the engines and the aftermarket support sucked for us American drivers.

3GSTE is amazing but not even giving us a taste of it in the USA except in a Celica ST185 and MR2, both poor selling cars? Why no Lexus IS200 dammit!

2ZZ-GE from a 7th Gen Celica is nice but aftermarket sucks, too bad everyone was on Honda Bandwagon. Guys with RSX K20's and even Integra's had so much more support. It was depressing.

sfedai0

Banned
I am sorry but in talking about sports car applications, FWD has no place in discussion.

so you are saying that the S2000 not only beats out the Miata, but the mid engine MR2 and the Z3/Z4?

its a shame that 95% of the cars you listed by honda were FWD, understeer sucks.

I hope youre just trolling. The amount of ignorance this guy has is astounding. If you're a Toyota fanboy, thats fine. They make great cars, but give credit where credit is due. Honda's place in automotive history is unquestionable. They were pioneers on so many applications.

I had a 7th gen Celica GT-S(before they gimp the limiter)

and had an Integra type R.

The Integra type R is superior in every way compare to the Celica GT-S.

engine, drive train, handling, and breaking...is superior to the Celica.

The integra Type R is one of the best car I've ever had.

You can track the thing without needing anything!(maybe a buffled oil pan)

Also, I don't understand the whole FWD under-steer blah blah. Some cars you wont even feel under-steer unless you are in tracks. And a good suspension set can really dial up the understeer....or just learn proper braking techniques. Once you learn how to drive FWD/RWD/AWD on the track ....each one can be fun in some ways.

Don't be a dumbass (even though you've already proved you are one). The Integra Type R and the Civic Type R/Mugen RR can rape many RWD cars. The TL/Type S 6-spd? 2 seconds faster on a track than the IS 350 and G35 (both RWD). What about the Ford Focus RS/500? It outperforms the Evo X and STI (both AWD), despite being FWD.

There are TONS of fast Civics/Integras/CRX's at the track that utterly destroy more powerful RWD/AWD competitors. FWD cars that are well set-up are incredible to drive because you can tune out the understeer and push them to insane limits. But again, you don't really know shit so how would you know that FWD cars can perform on par or even better than the alternatives? Hell, you probably just parrot everything you say.

And for the record, Honda's engines OWN Toyota's. You think the 2JZ is bad-ass? S2000 F20/F22's can hold over 700 whp on the stock block too. I know tons of people with 500+ whp on stock block. The K20 utterly rapes the 2ZZ; who gives a fuck if the 2ZZ is in the Lotus Elise/Exige? That doesn't prove a damn thing. What about the C32 in the NSX? B series, H series, K series, F series, C series, J series, even little baby D series... they're all incredible. Toyota doesn't have nearly as many proven, bad-ass engines as Honda does. Get the hell out of here with that garbage.

And YES, The S2000 DID beat out the Z3/Z4, the Miata, the MR2, and even the Boxster S in the early 2000's! It was THE best performing roadster of the early 00's. But then again, you wouldn't know that would you?

You don't know a damn thing about Honda, FWD, Toyota, S2000's, or anything else you've brought up. All you've done is spout out garbage you've read on the Internet. It's ignorant and pathetic, and nobody in this thread thinks you're cool. So knock it off and try learning something, because 90% of what you've said is utter horseshit.

It was implied that he does it himself, duh.

The LS2 + T56 alone would be $4-5k. The subframe reinforcement, reinforced rear end + diff + axles, the wiring harnesses, and any other fabrication that needs to be done would be several thousands more.

coldfoot

Banned
LSx swaps into newer cars like the RX-8 with sophisticated computers are never easy if not outright impossible. I mean proper swaps such that all the gauges, HVAC, etc. work properly.

TylerD

It absolutely kills me not having a sporty car right now with how the weather has been. I think I am going to keep the Accord and pick up an early AP2 S2000.

AlphaSnake

Seriously...she's doing more harm than good.

But I have to say, Ford has some uncanny ability at designing cars that look great for 2-3 years, and then look horribly dated thereafter.

reilo

Seriously...she's doing more harm than good.

But I have to say, Ford has some uncanny ability at designing cars that look great for 2-3 years, and then look horribly dated thereafter.

Yeah, the '06 Mustang looks completely dated already. It's weird.

As a Toyota fan that may have been true once but their applications of the engines and the aftermarket support sucked for us American drivers.

3GSTE is amazing but not even giving us a taste of it in the USA except in a Celica ST185 and MR2, both poor selling cars? Why no Lexus IS200 dammit!

2ZZ-GE from a 7th Gen Celica is nice but aftermarket sucks, too bad everyone was on Honda Bandwagon. Guys with RSX K20's and even Integra's had so much more support. It was depressing.

Everyone leaped to honda due to fast and the furious. I myself dont understand how FWD can be justified, but whatever.

How the hell do you tune out oversteer? its a drivetrain condition.

we could talk numbers of what an engine can make, but given the fact that with any amount of money and modification can make any number, it would be pointless. Overall I guess there is no definitive better or worse, its more about personal taste, there is however easier and more difficult, and FWD is simpler in terms of everything. and honda is such cookiecutter everything and I prefer unique...

to me the feeling of oversteer in a RWD car is unmatched with FWD.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
its oversaturation of the market, when you see the car 10 times a day it becomes boring, thats the problem with automakers that generalize a look in their car lines.

The 3rd gen TL snaps my neck every time I see it over here in NYC and I seriously see it at least 6+ times a day easy. lol

Boob knows I want one badly, just want a WDP colored one now.

reilo

its oversaturation of the market, when you see the car 10 times a day it becomes boring, thats the problem with automakers that generalize a look in their car lines.

I don't think generalizing a look over their car line-up is an issue. See Audi as an example of how to do it right.

I think it's an issue that it's a 2006 vehicle made it to look like one from the 1960s featuring technology from 2000 (ie the headlamps).

AlphaSnake

Yeah, there's still plenty of good looking older cars out there. The 3rd gen Acura TL is one of them. 350Zs too. G35 Coupes.

reilo

Yeah, there's still plenty of good looking older cars out there. The 3rd gen Acura TL is one of them. 350Zs too. G35 Coupes.

E46 3-series (especially M3), Mazda6, Audi A4 (pick any!), etc etc are all mass-market cars that are older in design than the first-gen retro Mustang by at least half a decade and all look better today.

AlphaSnake

I still think the Mazda 6 is one of the best looking sedans of the last decade. It just has every little design trait I've always wanted in a car. Low slung and sleek. Narrow headlights and tails. Simply love it. The MazdaSpeed6 is going to be a huge collector's item very, very soon.

reilo

I still think the Mazda 6 is one of the best looking sedans of the last decade. It just has every little design trait I've always wanted in a car. Low slung and sleek. Narrow headlights and tails. Simply love it. The MazdaSpeed6 is going to be a huge collector's item very, very soon.

Mine has held up its value extremely well over the years. I could reasonably get $14-15k in a trade-in three years after it was being sold for around $20-22k at the dealer.

J-Rzez

It seems like the STi designation has been dropped in favor of an actual STi version of the car coming soon. I'm glad Subaru wasn't stupid enough to release just this plain Jane BRZ and call it a day, it would've been suicide. The turbo car with 280HP or 300HP will be just bonkers and fun.

At it's weight, absolutely. Even 250-260hp would have been a game changer. Plus the gearing seems a little odd in this. I'll drive one for the hell of it and see where it sits at what speeds and revs, but right now it sounds pretty weak even for track use.

Now, the handling is unexpected, especially on those shit tires put on there for fuel economy.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom