• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Batman... the new cartoon series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Talk about your departure from The Animated Series. No Conroy, no Hammil, really ... odd art:

THEBATMANfreezeEvolution.jpg

JOKERCOMPARISON.jpg

THEBATMANevolution.jpg

THEBATMANBIObane.jpg

On the plus side, the show has Adam West, Ron Perlman, Robert Englund, Tom Kenny, and Edward James Olmos.

Anyway, I bring this topic up because it should be starting relatively soon. I guess a teaser ran for the show last Saturday and here's the jist of it:

"Starts out with a live action kid on his porch playing with the batwave commlink. Then, an toon batmobile pulls up in front of his house and batman jumps into it. The camera closes in on Batman's face and he smirks. Then he speeds off and it shows 'the Batman' logo and says 'bring on the batman' this fall only on KidsWB!"

THEBATMANnewpromo3.jpg

No Conroy, no Hammil...WTF?

I won't waste my time on this garbage, thank you for ruining the Batman animated series with Batman Beyond and now this crap

Well, I'm not into the look of it. Too off from what I'm used to, but it's got Adam West and I can only assume he's doing Batman right? If that's the case I'll watch it for a bit. Adam West is the only true Batman in my book.

But what's the overall tone of this? Goofy? Dark? Kiddy? Or your standard superhero cartoon affair?

AniHawk

DarthWufei said:
Well, I'm not into the look of it. Too off from what I'm used to, but it's got Adam West and I can only assume he's doing Batman right? If that's the case I'll watch it for a bit. Adam West is the only true Batman in my book.

But what's the overall tone of this? Goofy? Dark? Kiddy? Or your standard superhero cartoon affair?

Adam West will be voicing Mayor Grange. Rino Ramano is Batman.

Dan Castellaneta is also a voice.

From imdb.com:

Rino Romano .... Bruce Wayne/The Batman
Kevin Michael Richardson .... The Joker
rest of cast listed alphabetically
Clancy Brown .... Mr. Freeze
Dan Castellaneta .... Scarface
Joaquim de Almeida .... Bane
Alastair Duncan .... Alfred Pennyworth (voice)
Robert Englund .... The Riddler
Gina Gershon .... Catwoman (voice)
Frank Gorshin .... Hugo Strange (voice)
Steve Harris .... Detective Ethan Bennett (voice)
Tom Kenny .... Penguin (voice)
Ming-Na .... Detective Ellen Yin (voice)
Edward James Olmos .... Chief Angel Rojas
Ron Perlman .... Killer Croc
Adam West .... Mayor Grange (voice)

The show will be unrelated to TAS. It will start in his third year as Batman, and will be in his mid-20s.

One episode or maybe the first season (kinda sketchy from what I'm looking at) says it will be a slightly more child friendly retelling of the Knightfall storyline.

luxsol

bogg said:
Hope the show will be good.
It's not. I saw an episode with Man-bat and it is very much a kid's cartoon show. It's worse than Teen Titans... almost Static Shock-like quality.

The cops in the show used their walktalkies a whole lot, which made me think of the new E.T. release. Where in the old show the detectives would have their guns out, these new characters had walktalkies out.

Tortfeasor

Did you ever see the old superfriends episodes where Adam West took over the voice of Batman? He was horrible!!! We are better off that he will not be the bat again...

Shinobi

THEBATMANnewpromo3.jpg

Since when did Batman start smiling????

Seriously, if this show is anything like Teen Titans, then count me out. I'd rather watch Superfriends.

The NEW joker looks like somthing you would see on one of those Breakdown brand shits that PAcific Sunwear used to sell. Kinda Like Joker X-treme Dude! Oddly I like the second one in from the left on all the designs.

I dunno why but this reminds me of crap like Static Shock and Batman Beyond.

Clancy Brown as Mr Freeze, Cool
Ron Pearlman as Killer Croc, Cool
Homer Simpson as Scarface....!?!?!?

Oh and I just read Scarcrow was scrapped for the series

luxsol

I really like the new look for Batman (small ears and all) but the villains are kinda lame. They do look like they were made "extreme"

Batman Beyond I really liked. It had a new teen Batman, but the writing was still great (especially the Mr Freeze episode). Compare it to other teen shows like Static Shock or Teen Titans and it's way above their league. This new Batman is Static Shock level and it's not as nicely animated as Teen Titans either (which has fantastic fight scenes sometimes).
Course, I've only seen one episode and maybe the animation might get better, but i don't see the writing improving any.

Rlan

The trailer I downloaded off Bitorrent for the show looked really good, still dark, and had Batman beating up some run-of-the-muck guy. The kids shouting "Bring on the Batman" looked really out of place.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'll give it a shot, if only because it's Batman. The Mr Freeze design is rather wonky, but I do like Batman's look.

GG-Duo

yeah.. what's the deal with that Mr. Freeze design? He's stuck in a block of ice? His arms are scrawny but his suit is big..? Wha?

AniHawk said:
Adam West will be voicing Mayor Grange. Rino Ramano is Batman.

Oh well then forget it. He's a mayor in Family Guy, but he's actually funny in that and I somehow doubt this part is all that major in the series. Okay no reason to watch this, move along.

G4life98

i will give it a chance , but it looks like the WB's crap touch has worked its way to the batman cartoons...i am sad.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Pfffft, nothing will EVER replace the original Batman: The Animated Series. Adult Swim should replace one of their 9 trillion late-night anime shows with that.

Asbel

Looks like they're trying to make Freeze and Joker look cool with DBZ hair. Really no creativity in the new designs at all.

explodet

Great Wasabi Man said:
Oh and I just read Scarcrow was scrapped for the series
It kinda looks like the Joker's design was some odd combination of the two characters (Joker and Scarecrow) - the creators probably felt that it would be redundant to have both characters.

Gribbix

Actually, I think it may be due to Batman Begins. I know the folks at Justice League said that they wanted to use Ra's al Ghul for an episode but WB denied them and said he was off limits. That may be the same reason for Scarecrow being scrapped from this series. Though it would be strange considering the WB also forced Bruce Timm to draw Penguin and Catwoman based on their movie incarnations for BTAS.

AniHawk

sp0rsk said:
2nd freeze
3rd joker
1st batman.

I agree.

And even if some of the episodes are on TAS level, I'd check it out. Teen Titans had several really silly episodes, but most with Slade/Deathstroke I thought were well done in comparison (especially Apprentice).

J2 Cool

There is no animated Batman without Kevin Conroy the bastards! Even if he's 50 or so and this show is going for a young Batman, his voice is perfect. Bah!

AniHawk

J2 Cool said:
There is no animated Batman without Kevin Conroy the bastards! Even if he's 50 or so and this show is going for a young Batman, his voice is perfect. Bah!

Well, he's still in Justice League Unlimited... I think.

andthebeatgoeson

Maybe cuz I'm drinking and reminiscing but I don't know what pictures you guys are looking at. The first in those series are clearly the better versions.

The new Batman looks circumcised and impotent, the new Joker looks totally Xbox and Mr Freeze is wearing gay tights and a bad piece of ice. WTF, the art direction looks terrible.

Edit: Seriously, WTF? The first artist had a great idea on how to convey emotion and character thru art. Doesn't the first Batman look more heroic and confident? Doesn't the first Joker look more sinister, coniving and more in depth? Doesn't the first Mr. Freeze look more ice cold, chilled to the bone? Weak sauce at the new versions.

I'm not a fan of this trend in cartooning towards a more angular, cheap look. I don't know the exact reasoning behind it, but even cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory look dumbed down compared to their appearance just a few years ago... and that cartoon was never complexly animated to begin with.

The first Joker will always be best, in my opinion and I don't think anyone but Mark Hamill will ever be as good.

andthebeatgoeson

Semjaza Azazel said:
I'm not a fan of this trend in cartooning towards a more angular, cheap look. I don't know the exact reasoning behind it, but even cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory look dumbed down compared to their appearance just a few years ago... and that cartoon was never complexly animated to begin with.

The first Joker will always be best, in my opinion and I don't think anyone but Mark Hamill will ever be as good.

Seriously, maybe they are dropping the budgets and using computers more often. Look at the first Joker, so many different lines and less static. He looks like he's moving and alive, look at his pants. The newer one just looks like a Nickalodeon ploy to say, hey, we are cool. Come join us, kids. Look at our joker, he is sinister. He will hurt you. Rawr. ..!

The new joker looks like he skateboards.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I never cared as much for the design aesthetic of the New Adventures of Batman (aka Gotham Knights). The character designs lost too much realism. Everyone had ultra thin waists, while males had really wide shoulders and the female characters all had the exact same hour-glass figure. A lot of it seemed too sexed up for me. I still enjoyed the show, but I don't think the art worked nearly as well as in the original run of the series.

MASB

norinrad21 said:
No Conroy, no Hammil...WTF?

I won't waste my time on this garbage, thank you for ruining the Batman animated series with Batman Beyond and now this crap
Ron Perlman, Yay! But I can't imagine the series without those two voices. And the designs look terrible by and large. Batman looks the best of the four characters shown. Though I did like Batman Beyond. :p

J2 Cool

terrible. horrible. yuck. TAS will never be topped. although i do wish they would make another superman series... that one was great as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom