• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wads

Banned
shanshan310 said:
Hey, anyone know anything about Sakura house?
I see their ads everywhere... Thinking about staying with them but I don't know how good they are etc. Photos of the rooms range from pretty okay to pretty damn disgusting but its always hard to tell with these things. Was hoping to bring my partner along but although they have 2-person prices the rooms don't look like they would fit two beds, and none of them are doubles. Still, it seems like a great place to stay if you're looking to go to Japan for a couple of months but still have freedom and privacy you wouldn't get with a host family/ hostel.

EDIT: Sorry I know this is more Japan travel than Japan language.

I've stayed in Sakura house for about 4 months now. It's pretty good... just go check out the room before you sign anything. There should be plenty of rooms available, and don't forget you can barter with them.

Shirokun

RevenantKioku said:
115 cards is a slow day for me. You can do it! It should feel painless, anyway!

So far today (9pm, Saturday)
56 Kanji reps (But I've been doing this deck for 2 years now, so it's starting to slow down by the nature of SRS)
115 Sentence reps
Feels good.

I want to use anki for this sort of thing, but making these decks is so tedious that I get through like 20 sentences and give up. I really need to get my shit together.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Shirokun said:
I want to use anki for this sort of thing, but making these decks is so tedious that I get through like 20 sentences and give up. I really need to get my shit together.
Making sentences should be no more work than some copying and pasting. Really no need to stress yourself out over it.
Now, I know how hypocritical that is considering how I stress over everything, but.

cntr

Banned
Shirokun said:

If you're more comfortable with text, you could always use the import feature.

http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/2009/03/painful-excerpt-from-dan-brown-digital.html#comments

For two hours, Becker interpreted an endless stream of Mandarin symbols. But each time he gave them a translation, the cryptographers shook their heads in despair. Apparently the code was not making sense. Eager to help, Becker pointed out that all the characters they'd shown him had a common trait-they were also part of the Kanji language. Instantly the bustle in the room fell silent. The man in charge, a lanky chain-smoker named Morante, turned to Becker in disbelief.

"You mean these symbols have multiple meanings?"

Becker nodded. He explained that Kanji was a Japanese language based on modified Chinese characters. He'd been giving Mandarin translations because that's what they'd asked for.

"Jesus Christ." Morante coughed. "Let's try the Kanji."

Like magic, everything fell into place.

The cryptographers were duly impressed, but nonetheless, they still made Becker work on the characters out of sequence. "It's for your own safety" Morante said. "This way, you won't know what you're translating."

Becker laughed. Then he noticed nobody else was laughing.

I don't know if you guys have heard of this site but it highlighted a paragraph from Dan Brown's Digital Fortress (Which I actually read a while before I began studying Japanese). It makes me cringe so much I feel like slapping him. ARGH.

Seriously? "Kanji language" ? Chinese is the same as Japanese but with different meanings? Translating individual characters makes sense?! ANd this coming from a guy who prides himself on writing Cryptology novels. 5 minutes on google would have remedies all problems. Instead it slipped through all the editing and ended up published. The worst part is most people who read this won't even notice. I want to cry.

I just thought anyone who knows ANYTHING about Asian languages would be interested to read this. Dan Brown is an idiot. /angry rant. :lol

Kola

Does anyone know of a good "sentence deck" for Anki which is freely available for download? For beginner to intermediate students.

DMG-01

Hey what's up, J-GAF? I have some questions regarding Anki and I figured that this thread would be the best place to ask them.

Quick background info: I first started using Anki in Feb 2009 and it worked fine and everything was normal. I've since used it on and off up until probably 3 months ago. The whole time I was up to date on the version updates and everything has always worked fine.

Flash forward to yesterday. I tried to get back into doing RTK using the lazy kanji method and I noticed that Anki was missing the toolbar thing. Despite my best of efforts, including installing multiple versions of Anki, I couldn't get the toolbar to display.

What mine looks like:
http://imgur.com/GPG1L.png
What it should look like (different OS though):
http://ankisrs.net/shots/review.png

Also, and perhaps more importantly, I can't seem to get my deck to sync up with Ankiweb. Where's the option located? I see "Sync" under File, but whenever I click it it says "Sync Finished" and nothing on the site changes.
Edit: Well, the syncing is at least working now. Don't know why, but I'm not going to question it.

Perhaps I'm just a moron, but I'd appreciate any help that you guys could offer. :lol

panda21

can anyone recommend a good book for an absolute beginner? i looked at the Tae Kim guide and its very interesting, but i'd like something printed, preferably taking the approach of learning it in that style (ie not trying to teach you how to say english phrases in japanese for when you go there on holiday but leaving you with a shitty foundation).

it seems like the kanji would be a massive barrier to entry though, because you can't read or even sound them out to start with

should you learn those first? also i still don't get the method of learning to draw them using english words, without knowing the japanese meaning and pronunciation. surely it makes more sense to learn both at once?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
You can do any order you want. Experiment, basically.

"surely it makes more sense to learn both at once?" That is something a lot of people tried and it didn't work for them. I mean, while it's an exception, I believe the character 生 has over 150 readings. How many are you going to spend time "learning"? With this method you get familiar with the characters and then learn readings for characters as they come up in context. It works for me very well. (Being dedicated to reading is another thing, but let's not get into personal problems right now!)

But seriously, by all means, if you think it makes more sense to learn both at once, try it out. Clearly people have become proficient at Japanese without Heisig's method. I just know it worked for me.

Be skeptical. Don't believe anything people say just because they say it. But don't use skepticism as an excuse for inaction. (I forget where I read this, but it's a brilliant quote, I think.)

My wife and I are planning on taking the 漢字検定 together. We're starting with 2級. It feels wonderful to be able to flip through that book and know how to write every character, correct stroke order and all. All I have to learn now is a few ways to read them. That's cool to me.

Oh, and the whole concept behind learning to draw them first is to put you, the English speaker, on the same level as a Chinese speaking (reading?) learner of Japanese.

scotcheggz

panda21 said:
can anyone recommend a good book for an absolute beginner? i looked at the Tae Kim guide and its very interesting, but i'd like something printed, preferably taking the approach of learning it in that style (ie not trying to teach you how to say english phrases in japanese for when you go there on holiday but leaving you with a shitty foundation).

it seems like the kanji would be a massive barrier to entry though, because you can't read or even sound them out to start with

should you learn those first? also i still don't get the method of learning to draw them using english words, without knowing the japanese meaning and pronunciation. surely it makes more sense to learn both at once?

As far as books go, I don't think you can go too far wrong with "Japanese for busy people". Get the kana version. Whenever I've had a class or tutor, they've always used those books, so if you ever plan to go to a class or get a tutor later on, you'll have the textbook already, which is nice.

RevenantKioku

I entered a reading contest this month located here. I've already read 2 volumes of Rave, 1 and a half of 20th Century boys, a bunch of Dragonball, 34 pages of The Hobbit (in Japanese! It's crazy!) and a bunch of other stuff. Really good motivation.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Any recommendations for iPhone apps as there are a shitload of them?
I haven't taken any JLPT tests yet, but I think I know about 500 basic kanji.

Would like to take JLPT later, so I can prove my japanese on paper.
I can talk ok, but my vocabulary needs improving, because I don't always want to use the same broken sentences and words.

I promised myself that this year I will start improving my japanese, and I guess using my iPhone in addition would be nice because it is always with me.

EDIT: Haha, best app ever. Purikurakamera!

kanji flip and kanjibox are cool for flashcard repetitions, the tae kim grammar thing is a useful free download, japanese phrases does what it says on the tin (and is very frequently updated), japanese is a good dictionary that's only EDICT but has a lot of options for lists and kanji lookup etc, and wisdom is my go-to actual dictionary (though strictly speaking it's aimed at japanese learners of english so you have to be able to read a fair bit - i just find the example sentences etc far better than those in japanese (plus it's universal)).

My brother just got a kanji tattoo... please tell me this says, "I'm a douche."

11mgq5v.jpg

panda21 said:

minna no nihongo was pretty good. It is full of examples and questions and is entirely in Japanese, and has a companion book explaining grammar, vocab, etc. In

hiragana is the first thing you need to learn. Each one represents a syllable and is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Katakana would be next (its only for foreign words etc) but to be honest I learnt a fair bit of kanji before I actually mastered katakana.

DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY KANJI. Realising there are almost 2000 essential characters is enough to make some people just want to give up, but they aren't that difficult to learn and remember, with practise. Reading kids books is a good way to ease yourself into reading, but eventually (if you stick at it) you will reach a point where you can read fairly well, and believe me it feels great. :D good luck.

tip: every language has a seeming "barrier" that most learners encounter at some point. After the initial "wow I can say something!" bit wears off most people begin to get frustrated that they can't have proper conversations / understand movies / read books yet. If this happens, don't give up ^^ It will come with time, and practise. I'm not sure that kanji is Japanese's barrier... it certainly can be disheartening at times, but I dunno. I find reading / writing kanji to be very soothing actually :lol

DMG-01

Well, I've just finished RTK1 and am feeling pretty great. I feel that I can finally start learning Japanese now. :lol

So, now that I'm in post-RTK study, what more should I be doing? So far, I'm studying a deck of JLPT4 vocab that I downloaded for Anki, and I plan to try to play through some games (once the post office opens on Monday, I'm picking up my copy of 二ノ国 :D). Other than that though, I'm not doing much and I feel like I need to be doing more things.

Also, regarding sentences, should I make them a deck separate from my RTK deck or should I stick with just one deck for all Japanese study?

louis89

Maybe it's normal in Japanese but '・・・' seems like it would have been a better way to achieve that than '、'.

"The thing that the person with a god on their back received...."

"With a god on their back" could also mean: "god riding on their shoulders" or "the person shouldering a god" or something like that. And received could also mean "got" "won" "earned" etc. depending on context. I haven't played FF13 so I have no idea what the context is for these.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Synth_floyd said:
"The thing that the person with a god on their back received...."

"With a god on their back" could also mean: "god riding on their shoulders" or "the person shouldering a god" or something like that. And received could also mean "got" "won" "earned" etc. depending on context. I haven't played FF13 so I have no idea what the context is for these.

It's "What did people gain by turning their backs on God?", not "god on their backs."

louis89

So I just learned that the reason they're called Hidden Machines in Pokemon is because in Japanese they're called 秘伝マシン

Mind = blown

Masked Man

I said wow
louis89 said:
So I just learned that the reason they're called Hidden Machines in Pokemon is because in Japanese they're called 秘伝マシン

Mind = blown

Pretty clever/convenient, eh? ;D

Mandoric

Banned
louis89 said:
J-GAF: Do they do 1080p TV broadcasts in Japan?

DTV signal is (almost) universally 1440x1080i. There's neither a 1080p nor a 720p broadcast mode, and 1920x1080i appears only on satellite.

bigmit3737 said:
Can someone give me some words using this Kanji, 入?

Some common words please. Thank you.

入れる
入る
入り口
気に入る
入会
輸入

Those are the most common ones I could come up with on the spot, but obviously there's a lot more than that.

cnet128

Banned
bigmit3737 said:

挿入れる

...what? =p

Okay, how about:

入国
入力
入学
入院
入タイプ

(Spoilers: the last one is a lie)

louis89

cnet128 said:
挿入れる

...what? =p

Okay, how about:

入国
入力
入学
入院
入タイプ

That reminds me of a time I got all worried I was in the wrong place when I was trying to get on a plane at Narita airport because they'd incorrectly translated 出国 as "immigration" on the signs. Sometimes you just have to trust that the Japanese is correct and ignore the English.

scottnak

bigmit3737 said:

I'll take the opposite side of cnet...
(ネプリーグvibe anyone?)

加入
収入
突入
進入
and of course we have to use
(ラブ~)注入

Okay, guys: I'm looking for "Le Comte de Monte Cristo" in Japanese online. I have taken a liking to reading Japanese novels, but now I am in America, it is rather hard to find them. I know this book is now public domain, but that doesn't cover translations. Anybody know a site I can read 「モンテクリスト伯」? I prefer online because if I encounter a new word, (which happens with old literature especially) I can copy it or look for it easily as opposed to having to write the kanji out if I am unfamiliar with the character.

I am at that place where you can say almost anything, but you don't know if it sounds natural or not.

Shirokun

Twilight Princess said:
im learning japanese! for real this time!
skipping all the kanji, hopefully i can read japanese text in 1 month or two.

I assume by text you mean hiragana and katakana? Unless you're incredibly busy, you're pacing yourself way too slow. Give it a solid week of effort and you'll be reading both. Remember, a lot of language learning is reinforcement by exposure. While you certainly won't have mastered reading and writing them after a week, you'll start to read and remember them, bit by bit.

hiro4

cnet128 said:
挿入れる

...what? =p

Okay, how about:

入国
入力
入学
入院
入タイプ

Damn. The last one made me laugh more then it should.

falconzss

cntrational said:
Yeah, seems so. Pretty dirty, imo.

pretty much since the content is mostly (all?) user generated.

the good thing is that there already exist many spreadsheets based on the popular stuff on smart.fm which you can import into anki.

Sai-kun

Banned
I'm taking Japanese 102, and it is significantly harder this quarter.

Why is grammar so difficult? It's hard to remember all these particles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom