• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

RedSwirl

I can't help but notice how racially diverse these McDonalds commercials are these past couple years. It's like they just figured out there were good, non-white actors they could pick, and now they're going crazy with it.

What are you talking about? I've been seeing black-specific McDonalds commercials for years.

On the subject, is the Hair Cuttery a national thing or just up here in VA? I keep seeing black-focused commercials for it, which I guess is supposed to mean they can cut a brotha's hair now, but the only place I've seen in town is all Asian. I think maybe they hired one black guy, which I would suggest for anyone opening any kind of barber shop. I've said it here before, but I'm tired of driving for 45 minutes just to get a shape-up.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
White kids vandalizing a car - 1 call to 911
Black kids vandalizing a car - 10 calls to 911

Black people sleeping in car - 2 calls to 911

LOL

Onemic

He's just in it for the money man. Can't you guys see through his lies? He's just giving you what you want to hear so he can sell more books.

SmokyDave

He's just in it for the money man. Can't you guys see through his lies? He's just giving you what you want to hear so he can sell more books.

I like Tim Wise. He's intelligent and passionate and manages to be funny whilst being informative. I do think he sometimes overreaches though* and his style can border on condescending / confrontational. Thing is, he has a tough job and he's swimming against a strong tide so I can see why he has to be that way. A little like Richard Dawkins really, a firebrand. I can see how someone would be turned off by such an approach, whether he's right or wrong.

*Like in 'The Pathology of Privilege'. It's a great lecture but at one point he brings up 'a survey' where 6% of Americans didn't feel that racism was a severe issue. Then he brings up another, older survey where 12% think Elvis is alive. He uses this to conclude that White Americans are twice as likely to believe that Elvis is alive than believe racism is an issue. That's just wrong, you can't use surveys like that. Thing is, that's not really relevant to the (solid) point that he's making. I can imagine someone discarding the meat of what he said because of his dodgy use of stats and surveys. That said, I'd suggest that person was ideologically opposed to what Wise was saying in the first place and was just looking for an excuse to stop listening.

Man, I hadn't intended to ramble like that, I hope I made myself clear.

Bleepey

I have a slight beard, I am almost 25 and shit took forever to grow. My mum hates it and I have not been to the barber in ages. I'll wait till exams finish.

ecurbj

I have a slight beard, I am almost 25 and shit took forever to grow. My mum hates it and I have not been to the barber in ages. I'll wait till exams finish.
Ha ! My Mom and sisters hate it too. I'm not growing it to annoy anyone. I'm growing it so it can eventually grow in full. I kinda like the full beard look with the 5 o'clock shadow.

Their just use to seeing me with a strictly naked ass face. I got tired of that.

I remember in high school I didn't get my first strands of hair on my chin till senior year! All my peeps had full facial hair. While I had a thick ass mustache !

Onemic

I like Tim Wise. He's intelligent and passionate and manages to be funny whilst being informative. I do think he sometimes overreaches though* and his style can border on condescending / confrontational. Thing is, he has a tough job and he's swimming against a strong tide so I can see why he has to be that way. A little like Richard Dawkins really, a firebrand. I can see how someone would be turned off by such an approach, whether he's right or wrong.

*Like in 'The Pathology of Privilege'. It's a great lecture but at one point he brings up 'a survey' where 6% of Americans didn't feel that racism was a severe issue. Then he brings up another, older survey where 12% think Elvis is alive. He uses this to conclude that White Americans are twice as likely to believe that Elvis is alive than believe racism is an issue. That's just wrong, you can't use surveys like that. Thing is, that's not really relevant to the (solid) point that he's making. I can imagine someone discarding the meat of what he said because of his dodgy use of stats and surveys. That said, I'd suggest that person was ideologically opposed to what Wise was saying in the first place and was just looking for an excuse to stop listening.

Man, I hadn't intended to ramble like that, I hope I made myself clear.

He's a fraud

:p, I agree

And I laughed my ass off at those racist Bruins fans. The salt must be extra heavy on them that a "nigger" scored the game winning goal. They're probably crying somewhere right now. Situations like these just make me laugh, because they already lost what they held so dearly from a person they hate, there's no reason to get mad, just pity them and laugh. it makes it that much funnier.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So! I've been thinkin'.

You have this whole thing about China rising to become a political and industrial superpower. You have Chinese folks who are becoming supremely wealthy, and well, it had me thinking:

What about Africa?

Its the second largest continent. Its home to over 1 billion people. While I realize there are plenty of people there who would like a quiet, rustic life, there are many others who would want their villages to become cities. Who would like to live in a house with running water and reliable electricity. Who would enjoy the convenience of being able to get to their friends' town in minutes, because there's cement roads to ride their bikes and scooters on.

I... want to see this. I want to be a part of bringing industrialization to Africa. I want to see that continent prosper.

What would I have to do to get this started?

How hard would it be to get in contact with african companies to start building?

So! I've been thinkin'.

You have this whole thing about China rising to become a political and industrial superpower. You have Chinese folks who are becoming supremely wealthy, and well, it had me thinking:

What about Africa?

Its the second largest continent. Its home to over 1 billion people. While I realize there are plenty of people there who would like a quiet, rustic life, there are many others who would want their villages to become cities. Who would like to live in a house with running water and reliable electricity. Who would enjoy the convenience of being able to get to their friends' town in minutes, because there's cement roads to ride their bikes and scooters on.

I... want to see this. I want to be a part of bringing industrialization to Africa. I want to see that continent prosper.

How hard would it be to get in contact with african companies to start building?

Think small, focus on a single country and know exactly who you are dealing with, too many people get swindled by fake companies and kidnappings. Always, go with reputable companies versus the companies that quote the lowest possible price

In any case, its too late, China and the World Bank already beat you to it, they are tying up all the natural resources via infrastructure contracts and deals. Honestly, the best way forward is for the African brain drain to end and then consequently an education of the masses to move forward beyond certain levels of expectations of getting theirs while some one else suffers. Also, actual workable and sustainable solutions to the food, power and water issues need to happen.

Onemic

Think small, focus on a single country and know exactly who you are dealing with, too many people get swindled by fake companies and kidnappings. Always, go with reputable companies versus the companies that quote the lowest possible price

In any case, its too late, China and the World Bank already beat you to it, they are tying up all the natural resources via infrastructure contracts and deals. Honestly, the best way forward is for the African brain drain to end and then consequently an education of the masses to move forward beyond certain levels of expectations of getting theirs while some one else suffers. Also, actual workable and sustainable solutions to the food, power and water issues need to happen.

It's even more complicated than that when you add in the fact that the IMF and the World Bank are pretty much ensuring most of Africa's indebtedness to the west through crazy interest rates on loans, as well as many of their loan requirements requiring that they take on neoliberal policies, which do more to hurt their economy than help it.

Imm0rt4l

You know what I really hate? When people feel a need to name drop Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and call them racists. It's like some people don't understand that their is a need for people who do their line of work. I don't even want to have to defend either, but the demonizations of these guys I find to be unfair.

Slayven

You know what I really hate? When people feel a need to name drop Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and call them racists. It's like some people don't understand that their is a need for people who do their line of work. I don't even want to have to defend either, but the demonizations of these guys I find to be unfair.
Yeah that gets on my nerves too. They have issues but they also do some good.

Onemic

They're both dumbasses, but I hate when their names get brought up when the situation has absolutely nothing to do with them. Just what people use as another way to diminish the discrimination of others.

So! I've been thinkin'.

What about Africa?

Find a country that isn't in heaps of debt with other nations, can possibly nationalize its resources and isn't in constant tribal warfare with itself. =/.

Lebron

She's a poor mans Hedisa Visapa(you can't take the google image, don't do it)

xE30Q.jpg

DhBdx.jpg

Come at me

Top Bottom