• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Blade Runner 2049 writers became victims of io9 clickbait enabled by LordOfLore

Link.

Many different versions of Blade Runner have been released since the original film was released 35 years ago. Now, with the sequel Blade Runner 2029 coming out October 6, the question of which is the “right” one looms large—so we spoke to sequel writers Michael Green (American Gods) and Hampton Fancher (cowriter of the original) about the old film, the new film, and the one Blade Runner fan they wrote it for.

Okay, now this is bait.

A proper headline would be "Blade Runner 2049 Writers Say 'It Doesn't Matter' Which Version of the Original You Watch"

It's not even the primary focus of the interview, and it's tossed away by Green pretty quickly.

Priz

Okay, now this is bait.

A proper headline would be "Blade Runner 2049 Writers Say 'It Doesn't Matter' Which Version of the Original You Watch"

It's not even the primary focus of the interview, and it's tossed away by Green pretty quickly.

Thanks for being the person who #SavedUsAClick

Boem

in the narration, deckard describes the captain as someone who would still use that word

It's actually kinda sad that someone actually thought cops using that word would be a thing of the past in 2019.

The one part of the future as that movie presents it that isn't shitty, and we didn't even manage that.

In the trailer, Deckard does not strike me as a replicant, he is old and shit........so.

The two pro-
replicant theories are "Deckard was a new model, without a short life-span" or "This is the human the Deckard model was based on."

At least, those are the two I've read that make some sense to me. I hope neither is true.

Fercho

The two pro-
replicant theories are "Deckard was a new model, without a short life-span" or "This is the human the Deckard model was based on."

At least, those are the two I've read that make some sense to me. I hope neither is true.

Those are two stupid ass theories, specially the second one LMAO.

It will be really interesting to see what will be the twist of this movie and to finally validate which version of the original is canon.

In the trailer, Deckard does not strike me as a replicant, he is old and shit........so.

It will be really interesting to see what will be the twist of this movie and to finally validate which version of the original is canon.
While Denis Villeneuve and Harrison Ford have been beating around the bush when it comes to the question, Ridley Scott recently outright stated that Deckard would finally be "revealed [in the sequel], one way or the other" that he's a replicant. In the end, I think it's pretty clear that Final Cut will come out rightfully on top as the canonical film for its inclusion of the essential "unicorn dream" sequence to the "Deckard as a replicant" theory along with fixing up continuity errors in the process.

While Denis Villeneuve and Harrison Ford have been beating around the bush when it comes to the question, Ridley Scott recently outright stated that Deckard would finally be "revealed [in the sequel], one way or the other" that he's a replicant. In the end, I think it's pretty clear that Final Cut will come out rightful on top as the canonical film for it's inclusion of the essential "unicorn dream" sequence to the "Deckard as a replicant" theory along with fixing up continuity errors in the process.

I still don't understand why the unicorn is a symbol of his being a replicant. It makes more sense to me that the unicorn is a symbol for Rachel and/or the miracle of humanity and life.

As someone who hasn't seen any of them, can I actually get a recommendation on which is best?
The Director's Cut and Final Cut are pretty similar, but the Final Cut removes some of the ambiguity and adds some violence. The FC is a bit of a tighter cut, but honestly I prefer the more languid Director's cut, and the way it lets images and ideas wash over you.

Anyway, you can't really go wrong with either for your first watch.

Some will argue the workprint is the best cut, but I'd imagine it plays better once you're a fan of the film to begin with.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Deckard is old.
Replicants can’t get old.
Deckard isn’t a replicant.

Boom. Case closed.
That's just what they want you to think
30AB1FA5E26D84E08709CD5862FB6CE0FDE0E351

Gattsu25

Banned
Is there a version where they don't have Harrison Ford say ‘niggers'

Workprint prototype version (1982)
International theatrical release (1982)
US broadcast version (1986)
The Director's Cut (1992)
The Final Cut (2007)

All of these versions

Slixshot

Banned
I still don't understand why the unicorn is a symbol of his being a replicant. It makes more sense to me that the unicorn is a symbol for Rachel and/or the miracle of humanity and life.

The Director's Cut and Final Cut are pretty similar, but the Final Cut removes some of the ambiguity and adds some violence. The FC is a bit of a tighter cut, but honestly I prefer the more languid Director's cut, and the way it lets images and ideas wash over you.

Anyway, you can't really go wrong with either for your first watch.

Some will argue the workprint is the best cut, but I'd imagine it plays better once you're a fan of the film to begin with.

Workprint.

Final Cut is worth a watch as well for how gorgeous it is to look at.

Thank you for the recommendations. Is there that big of a difference? It sounds like these are different movies.

Fercho

While Denis Villeneuve and Harrison Ford have been beating around the bush when it comes to the question, Ridley Scott recently outright stated that Deckard would finally be "revealed [in the sequel], one way or the other" that he's a replicant. In the end, I think it's pretty clear that Final Cut will come out rightfully on top as the canonical film for its inclusion of the essential "unicorn dream" sequence to the "Deckard as a replicant" theory along with fixing up continuity errors in the process.

I really hope not. I'm not a fan of the replicant interpretation , regardless on how stubborn Scott is with this, i'm with Harrison Ford in this one.

As someone who hasn't seen any of them, can I actually get a recommendation on which is best?

You can just buy the blue ray which includes all the versions and make your mind, it's worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UBMWG4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The documentary on how the movie was made also kicks ass.

T.

If i remember correctly , the Unicorn is how Gaff tells Deckard he knows about his dream, ergo, confirming he is a replicant.

Korigama

An indication that Gaff was aware of Deckard's dreams, much like Deckard was familiar with the memory implants that Rachel had. That's the thinking behind it.

EDIT: Beaten.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
just re-watched the final cut, my third time

i really hope deckard is not a replicant. got my tickets for next Thursday.

JCHandsom

It's only because of the built-in lifespan. Who says replicants can't age if allowed the time to do so?

I thought the life-span wasn't something built in, rather that it was a natural consequence of the abilities the Replicants had. "The candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long" and so forth.

Scarecrow

Just watched it for the first time last night. Final Cut version. Didn't know Deckard rapes a robot. That took me by surprise.

Deckard is a morally compromised, dead inside piece of shit who isn't even all that good at his job.

That's one of the bigger trip-ups for first timers- you keep waiting for Harrison Ford to be the hero.

It never happens

Ridley Scott colorfully described the importance of the origami unicorn in the aforementioned IGN interview that I linked. When Harrison Ford expressed that Deckard shouldn't be a replicant during the making of the original film, Scott responded, ”But you have to be, because Gaff, who leaves a trail of origami everywhere, will leave you a little piece of origami at the end of the movie to say, ‘I've been here, I left her alive, and I can't resist letting you know what's in your most private thoughts when you get drunk is a f***ing unicorn!'" A popular notion of the replicant theory has speculated that Gaff's role in the narrative has him operating as a 'handler' to Deckard, possibly observing his detective work and psychological development as an experimental or upgraded version of the Nexus android. By preserving the daydream sequence in both the 'director's cut' and 'Final Cut, it provides pivotal context to the origami as an outright reveal to Deckard and the audience that he knows exactly what's inside his thoughts, much like how Deckard easily uncovered Rachel's memories as part of his investigation. Thus, his nod after picking the figure off the floor and recollection of Gaff's final remark about morality serves as a recognition of his own existence as a replicant. Also, J.F. Sebastian clarifies in his conversation between Pris and Roy that he does "genetic design work for the Tyrell Corporation. There's some of me in you." While the film hammers on the shared similarity being their accelerated aging, his involvement with hereditary development means that he could possibly dictate what subject matter becomes the memory basis for every replicant to make them feel more human. If each android did, indeed, have "some [part] of me in you," Sebastian likely took inspiration from various interests and/or items inside his own apartment, particularly the unicorn figurine (pictured below in the upper right-hand corner) being evidence for Deckard's case.

An indication that Gaff was aware of Deckard's dreams, much like Deckard was familiar with the memory implants that Rachel had. That's the thinking behind it.

EDIT: Beaten.

That's always seemed like a stretch to me. So much is implied throughout the film without explanation that it seems strange to take that direct through-line to interpret the unicorn. Especially when Gaff has known Deckard for so long. For all we know, Deckard told Gaff about his unicorn dream before the movie ever began.

I also don't care about what Ridley says, when the writers, actors, and Prometheus is not on his side.

JCHandsom

Deckard is a morally compromised, dead inside piece of shit who isn't even all that good at his job.

That's one of the bigger trip-ups for first timers- you keep waiting for Harrison Ford to be the hero.

It never happens

One of my favorite aspects of the original film

I anticipate seeing "Drive" Gosling in 2049

jon bones

It never happens

it’s part of that 40s noir vibe - those guys were always drunk, lonely detectives who made risky/dumb decisions for a dame

duckroll

I have a very important ~deep lore~ question. What -are- Replicants? They are organic right? Not cybernetic. They're not robots, they're more like.... enhanced clones of sort? If we take this to the natural technological conclusion... what is the difference between a perfected Replicant without artificial drawbacks, and a human being?

JCHandsom

That thread tile lol

I have a very important ~deep lore~ question. What -are- Replicants? They are organic right? Not cybernetic. They're not robots, they're more like.... enhanced clones of sort? If we take this to the natural technological conclusion... what is the difference between a perfected Replicant without artificial drawbacks, and a human being?

I actually don't know the answer to this question.

I assume that a "perfected" (Nexus model with superhuman abilities and Rachel-esque empathy) Replicant would still have the shortened life span, because I believe Tyrell said it wasn't possible to make them be able to do what they were capable of and give them a long life. Candles and shit, man.

jon bones

i think that's a big part of the whole Blade Runner thing

"more human than human" - the tyrell corporation

Fercho

Other that their designed skills (strength , intelligence and so forth) there are virtually no differences other than emotional responses, that's why the Voight-Kampff test was invented in order to spot rogue replicants.

Yeah, they're basically androids so advanced that the uncanny valley isn't just bridged, it's been filled in and paved over.

Cylons in the Galactica reboot were based on Dick's Replicants. Which is why they called em skinjobs in that show, and cast Gaff to be their opposite number.

duckroll

So if the question is whether Deckard is a Replicant or not, and if the answer to that is that he is some super special model that never made it to market, but was a prototype which is completely human in every way, complete with a natural lifespan, no particular superhuman strength, and memories that make him believe himself to be human..... how is he not a human? :)

This might be why almost everyone involved in Blade Runner who isn't Scott thinks the "Deckard is obviously a Replicant!!!" idea is kinda stupid and pointless!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
the entire point of the story is “how would you know if you’re a replicant and would it even matter

All other interpretations are bunk

Korigama

I thought the life-span wasn't something built in, rather that it was a natural consequence of the abilities the Replicants had. "The candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long" and so forth.
The Nexus-8s that the Blackout 2022 prequel short focused on were established as having natural lifespans though, and were no less exceptional in respect to abilities.

Jarmel

Banned

It never happens
What's hilarious is Deckard saying he was good at his job in 2049.

Dude is super incompetent. Multiple times Replicants get the jump on him and the only reason he doesn't die is either through a third party and Roy saving his worthless ass.

Top Bottom