• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
When: July 18th
Where: Sci Fi Channel
What: M. Night Exposé.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/15/tv.buried.secret.ap/index.html

story.shyamalan.jpg

The Sci Fi Channel was thrilled when M. Night Shyamalan, maker of films "The Sixth Sense" and "Signs," agreed last fall to open his world to a documentarian's cameras.

Then it all went sour.

Shyamalan quit on-screen, and an expected benign profile has become a three-hour expose, "The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan." Sci Fi has scheduled a July 18 air date.

This should be fun.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Goreomedy said:
When: July 18th
Where: Sci Fi Channel
What: M. Night Exposé.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/15/tv.buried.secret.ap/index.html

story.shyamalan.jpg

This should be fun.

Haha! He deserves it for the horrible ending of The Village. Although, AICN reported that they've completely reshot the ending in the past several weeks. I wonder if it was his original plan to reshoot it and confuse everyone or if Disney slapped him for that idiotic original ending.

This man this generation's next Rod Serling. He's the only guy I would trust to take over The Twilight Zone if it came back again (and not the shit WB version).

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
StrikerObi said:
This man this generation's next Rod Serling. He's the only guy I would trust to take over The Twilight Zone if it came back again (and not the shit WB version).

This generation's Rod Serling? I want to punch you in the throat for that. :D

Socreges

Banned
Willco said:
Haha! He deserves it for the horrible ending of The Village. Although, AICN reported that they've completely reshot the ending in the past several weeks. I wonder if it was his original plan to reshoot it and confuse everyone or if Disney slapped him for that idiotic original ending.
Spoil me, please.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Socreges said:
Spoil me, please.

One of the villagers (a girl I believe) runs out of the village, out the forest and - DUHN DUHN DUHN - into a FREEWAY! Yes, a freeway. The Village isn't old at all, it's owned by some eccentric dumbass. And this threat from the forest is the rest of the fucking world.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Potential Village Spoiler:

The secret to The Village, is that this 18th century town is actually an isolated village in contemporary America. The "creatures" in the woods are construction workers, and the red marks on houses designate that they're to be torn down.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Greene said he started to go off the "suggested" list of friends to speak to and contacted others in Shyamalan's life. The filmmaker was angered by the personal nature of what they were asking, he said.

"Slowly, his cooperation dried up," Greene said. "We saw that as a challenge and just didn't let go."

thats just incredibly rude.. especially how the project was initially supposed to be about filmmaking.. not the man himself.

Seth C

Flaming Duck said:
I don't know why everyone thought the ending to The Village was terrible. It seemed like a nice twist to me :(

Actually I wish I hadn't read the spoiler now. :/ That sounds freaking fantastic. Now I have to hope they change it. Bah. The movie ir ruined.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Seth C said:
Actually I wish I hadn't read the spoiler now. :/ That sounds freaking fantastic. Now I have to hope they change it. Bah. The movie ir ruined.

I, too, wish I hadn't read the spoiler...the concept sounds pretty intriguing.

He kind of lost me after the cinematic abortion that was Signs. People comparing him to Rod Serling or Hitchcock are insane.

Ecrofirt

I've watched both trailers, and I didn't notice any spoiler that seemed to have anything to do with the spoilered text in this thread.

Where is the spoiler in the trailer?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
heavy liquid said:
So how did it "all go sour"?

It looks to me like M. Night didn't appreciate that the filmmakers began to explore his "inspiration", that they were getting too personal. He probably felt they exceeded their good-faith arrangement with him. So, he flipped them the bird and kicked them off the set.

Now, Sci Fi has to use the threat of an expose to strongarm M. Night into finishing the special properly.

Whatever happens, it should make for compelling television.

SKluck

Banned
Ok, this "spoiler" of the ending is completely stupid and doesn't make any sense.

So from the trailers we can see the "things" from the forest are running around at night and scaring people. So... these are supposed to be construction workers or some shit running around IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, coming into people's homes and scaring the fuck out of them? And what about the fact they've had run-ins before with these 'creatures'?

Construction workers are marking houses for destruction IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT when it is VERY obvious people are living and sleeping in these homes?

I don't see how anyone can take that spoiler seriously after seeing all the trailers for this movie. It doesn't make any sense. And despite some far-fetched storylines in Night's movies, they are always mostly logical.

Unless it is modern day people seriously fucking with the people in the village and scaring them on purpose and doing all these things just to have fun with them. I COULD believe that.

Willco

Hollywood Square
SKluck said:
Ok, this "spoiler" of the ending is completely stupid and doesn't make any sense.

So from the trailers we can see the "things" from the forest are running around at night and scaring people. So... these are supposed to be construction workers or some shit running around IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, coming into people's homes and scaring the fuck out of them? And what about the fact they've had run-ins before with these 'creatures'?

Construction workers are marking houses for destruction IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT when it is VERY obvious people are living and sleeping in these homes?

I don't see how anyone can take that spoiler seriously after seeing all the trailers for this movie. It doesn't make any sense. And despite some far-fetched storylines in Night's movies, they are always mostly logical.

Unless it is modern day people seriously fucking with the people in the village and scaring them on purpose and doing all these things just to have fun with them. I COULD believe that.

It's already been confirmed by a bazillion sources. Not to mention sites such as AICN got the script and confirmed it.

It's probably not the ending anymore. M. Night reshot. Whether or not his intended purpose was to leak the script, let people know the ending and then shoot a new one is the real question now.

Goreomedy said:
Whatever happens, it should make for compelling television.

No doubt. It's always more interesting when things go wrong. Hell, a whole film of things going wrong was turned into Terry Gilliam's Lost in La Mancha!

I bet the whole thing is a gag and the twist ending is that Shyamalan was pretending to quit the documentary to drum up publicity for his next movie.

SKluck

Banned
That's what I am thinking, that it was never really the true ending in the first place. Or perhaps they edited the trailers knowing full well that they planned to 'change' the ending.

I haven't read the script, I would never spoil myself like that, but the original 'reveal' just sounds so completely ludicrous.

Chesapeake Silt said:
I bet the whole thing is a gag and the twist ending is that Shyamalan was pretending to quit the documentary to drum up publicity for his next movie.

Doesn't anyone remember that "documentary" they were showing on the Sci-Fi Channel before The Blair Witch Project came out?

aku:jiki

Seth C said:
I think it sounds pretty brilliant and like a little homage to Planet of the Apes, one of my favorites. I guess that means I'm stupid since the ending is supposedly retarded.

Iceman

I didn't read any of the supposed spoilers, well except the one about
the monsters actually just being the rest of civilization
but if the *new* spoilers have anything to do with the monsters not being real then I have to submit exhibit A: Terry Notary.

His name is listed in the IMDB credits as the "Dark Figure". Now I can only assume this means one of the monsters, brief images of which we have already seen, i.e. a hunchbacked thing with a blood red cape with spikes coming through at the back. Terry Notary has been in volved in numerous films as a "movement coach", particularly with animal type movements, e.g. Planet of the Apes and X2 (Nightcrawler) and also as a stunt man.

The monsters are then indeed "real" and will have sick movements, guaranteed.

Hopefully that clears something up about the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom