• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cutting Edge: PS1 Graphics in 2024... Why?

Wildebeest

Familiarity and exposure are most of the battle for getting people's attention. So having characters or scenes from media people know in a different style which people already know is instant attention.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Going back to PS1/Saturn/N64 really isn't a great idea. 3D from back then is the worst, it simply looks awful.
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
Correct. It looked like ass back then already and it has aged extremely poorly on top of that. Early days 3D graphics made me quit gaming for like a decade until it looked acceptable again.

Don't know, Artic Eggs looks amazing though. As an aesthetic choice it can really add some mystery. It looks like a lost japanese PS1 that never made it to the west.

And I didn't even have a PS1 back in the day. Being a PC kid that already used accelerated cards for Quake and Half-Life.

I agree that it technically aged badly, thats why the following 6 gen consoles where such an amazing leap in fidelity and simulation complexity at the time. We're never gonna have that jump ever again.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Good video. The presenter asks "what's that special something we seem to have lost going forward from those days?" and I think that's a valid question.

Perhaps when resources were so limited and art had such low fidelity, creators really had to take tremendous care with how they presented their works. A single misplaced pixel or polygon could change how the player interpreted a character, object or location. This may have given games a more "crafted" look that ended up igniting the audience's imagination in ways realism does not. I'm no game developer, these are just thoughts off the top of my head.

Robb

Gold Member
Artic Eggs looks amazing though
GUfOZH7.jpeg

denzel washington cringe GIF

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Another thing that generation had going for it was iteration times being super short and team sizes being very small. As a result, you end up with a much larger quantity of releases, which means more higher quality releases too. And small team sizes may have contributed to cohesive visions making it into the final product intact.

Drew1440

Going back to PS1/Saturn/N64 really isn't a great idea. 3D from back then is the worst, it simply looks awful.
I don't mind the textures or the small polygon amounts, the jittering and texturing warping is where I draw the line. For the N64 I think the short distance fog is iconic of it's games, but the blurry textures isn't something I want in a modern game.
Soundtrack on the other had I prefer, if we could go back to the Jungle/Drum&Bass themes that were common of the era.

cireza

That video is a joke. Most of the biggest PS1 title sellers started out on other systems and were already established. Still, this is the PS generation fanboy who no doubt thinks FF started with 7 on the PS1
Yeah, the first seconds were so cringe I stopped watching immediately.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

This.

I mean, games like Slave zero X and WH: Boltgun do indeed look nice and give you that "warm, fuzzy feeling®" but, it's exactly because of said nostalgia.

I dig the retro throwback(s) but, just like good ol' Kleovoulos said, "pan metron ariston" - everything has to be done in moderation.

Also, while we're at it, and since I'm also old, I never understood the whole thing behind pixel art and those "phat pixels yass !" rhetoric - games DIDN'T look like this back in the day (due to CRT screens), it's not "cute" nor nice seeing graphics which amount to square pixels stacked on top of each other.
As an example, I'm playing the Ninja Saviours remake these days, using the CRT filter at max, game looks nice, put that to zero and everything is a square-y mess, why ? who would play it like that ?

oldmanyellingatclouds.jpg

Last edited:

cireza

These people didn't suffer through that era. If they did, they'd never want to go back.
But are they really going back ? If you want to go back properly, you need to cap your game at 20fps and implement drops below 15/10fps for closest experience.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Low Polygon (not the website 😉) graphics could be done well artistically if the dev does them properly.

However, that’s different from PS1 graphics with all the shimmering and other console limitation related issues.

I don’t mind low poly but very much mind new games loaded with PS1 baggage. And hell, most devs can’t do proper low polygon graphics anyways, something is always off.

OG PS1 games can be emulated with resolution jacked up high through Duckststion and can look quite clean.

Rudius

When I play PS1 it's always emulated in 4K, with 60fps hacks when possible. I like the games, not the limitations they had.

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
Good video. The presenter asks "what's that special something we seem to have lost going forward from those days?" and I think that's a valid question.

Perhaps when resources were so limited and art had such low fidelity, creators really had to take tremendous care with how they presented their works. A single misplaced pixel or polygon could change how the player interpreted a character, object or location. This may have given games a more "crafted" look that ended up igniting the audience's imagination in ways realism does not. I'm no game developer, these are just thoughts off the top of my head.
linear games, I miss
however warping, shimmering, that was horrible even back then.
I'm a Crash fan and the transition to the ps2 was bad. Imo, just because today there is an unlimited poly count doesn't mean we should use them all.
sometimes less is more.

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
That video is a joke. Most of the biggest PS1 title sellers started out on other systems and were already established. Still, this is the PS generation fanboy who no doubt thinks FF started with 7 on the PS1
gonna cry ? For all intents and purposes, the Playstation did invent the 3D gaming market and did so masterfully.

A game like Signalis did it beautifully. Crow Country also looks great. They're obviously not 1:1 copies, just like most retro 8 or 16 bit games aren't, but I dig the Modern 32bit thing SOME games have done. I also really like the way Northern Journey looks.

Not everything needs a smug video essay.

Fbh

I don't really get the appeal. 3D games on playstation haven't aged well and IMO all of these games trying to imitate the style look visually unappealing. The wobbly textures and shimmering in particular looks bad.

The 2D stuff on Ps1 and the games that heavily relied on pre rendered backgropund still look great though

Holammer

While I love pixelart games, I also like the stuff inspired by early 32-bit system.
One of the most interesting & best games I've seen gameplay wise this year is employing the N64/PS1 aesthetic and I intend I make a thread about it before it releases on Steam or if the guy working on it releases a new better public alpha. I think it's going to be a big seller.

Here are two recommendations I like, Lunistice was shown in the video and it plays like I reckon Sonic should. Fast, but not too fast and you're in full control of the character. Both have 96% user rating on Steam for a reason.

... and one to look out for, demo is great!

PSYGN

There's something to be said about art styles that isn't just nostalgia.

Take for instance, the insane detailing and stylism of Metal Slug games. I don't think you have lived in that era to appreciate it. Shit looks crispy af.

soxjwbR.gif

TJRGnWO.gif

tumblr_inline_nplcoqCycL1ri065t_500.gif

But in the case of the video above I do think it's driven by nostalgia. I don't think warping buggy textures is something that people would appreciate.

Isa

I think it boils down to personal preference. Modern graphics snobs will never look back at this particular retro aesthetic with love or fondness. It'll most likely always be niche which is a shame. I personally like them when done well and am looking forward to several upcoming releases. I also think its about damn time since most have been aping metroidvanias for far too damn long and should look to other games and genres to pull from. Every time I see yet another indie rogue-like-type-deck building-metroidvania-with a gross art style I can't help but sigh and dismiss the effort entirely.

Top Bottom