• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE DENPA MEN: They Came By Wave |OT| An original eShop JRPG (Free demo available)

yTf02.png

THE DENPA MEN: They Came By Wave/Denpa no Ningen RPG
Developer: Genius Sonority
Publisher: Genius Sonority
Platform: Nintendo 3DS (eShop Exclusive)
Genre: RPG
Release Date: February 8th, 2012 [Japan]/September 27th, 2012 [North America]/December 6th, 2012 [PAL]
Price: ¥800 [Japan]/$9.99 [North America]/£7.19 [PAL] (Free demo also available in all regions)
Official Web Sites: Japan/North America/PAL

qdnLH.png

What is THE DENPA MEN: They Came By Wave?
PmBdZ.jpg

THE DENPA MEN: They Came By Wave is a dungeon crawler JRPG developed by Genius Sonority. It stars the Denpa Men, small beings that live in "radio waves", each one being unique to the wave they call home.

In this game, one particular Denpa Man has asked you, the player, for your help. It seems someone special to him has been taken by the King of Evil and he needs your assistance to get this someone back. But you won't have to do it alone, there are Denpa Men everywhere around you, and you can recruit them to aid you in your journey to defeat the King of Evil.

Who Are Genius Sonority?
ludV7.png

Genius Sonority is video game studio the develops exclusively for Nintendo platforms. It is made up of developers who have worked on many well known RPG series such as Mother/Earthbound, Dragon Quest and Pokémon. THE DENPA MEN is one of their very first original IPs.

MWg6a.png

Who are THE DENPA MEN?
YCfyl.png

As mentioned previously, the Denpa Men are tiny little men that live in "radio waves". (read: WiFi signals.) Each one is unique to his signal and you'll never find two that are exactly the same. Depending on their size, the color of their suit and the antenna (or lack thereof) on their head, each one will have different abilities and attributes. The player must utilize the different skills of each particular Denpa Man to the best of their ability to conquer the challenging dungeons that lie ahead of them.

d48Cj.png

It's Raining DENPA MEN
EnM44.jpg

When you start the game, you and your hero* (a random Denpa Man from a preset group of exclusive hero characters) will be all alone. But there is no need to fret, for their are allies waiting to be discovered all around you. Simply go to the Antenna Tower and catch some new teammates! The amount of Denpa Men at the Antenna Tower will depend on how many WiFi signal there are in your present surroundings. It doesn't matter if they are public or private, all that matters is if they are detectable.

For each WiFi signal, two unique Denpa Men will appear. When you see them floating around using the camera on your 3DS, all you do is launch your net at them and they are yours. Once you've caught a bevy of Denpa Men, you are free to add them immediately to your party. Try to recruit a variety of different Denpa Men so you can have a well balanced party. (You'll need it.)

But what if you don't have access to a large amount of WiFi signals? Never fear, there are other ways to strengthen your existing Denpa Men and recruit new ones. Each player is guaranteed at least three Denpa Men to start. (Your head Denpa Man, and the two from your personal WiFi signal.) You can power up any of your Denpa Men with various equipment and clothing, and eventually, you'll be able to trade & download new Denpa Men for free through QR codes.

Plus, every Denpa Man is loaded with personality. You can talk you each of your party members for various hints and amusing comments. Though if you let them get killed in battle or take away their favorite accessory, they won't be very happy about it.

*Want to see pictures and stats for every Denpa Man hero? You can check them out at the Japanese wiki. If you don't like your hero, you can just keep restarting the game until you get one you prefer. (It doesn't take long at all.)

Into the Depths
xPlj4.jpg

Now that you have your Denpa Men, what do you do with them? Well, go dungeon crawling of course! THE DENPA MEN is an old school dungeon crawler JRPG. Your party will traverse caves, forests, volcanoes, towers, etc. on and around the island of Digitoll, all in the search for loot.

But of course, these dungeons are not without danger. Each one is teeming with various deadly and adorable beasts just waiting to chew your antenna off. Don't let the cute graphics fool you, this game can be very challenging, you must use the various skills and equipment of your Denpa Men to put these baddies in their place.

But never has destroying entire species of life ever been so quick and satisfying. The battle system in THE DENPA MEN is very intuitive. Each character has the ability to attack or use items. Plus, if they have an antenna, the will have the use of a special skill. This may seem simplistic at first, but that's where the party building aspect comes into play. Each dungeon has enemies that specialize in different elemental attributes, and a party that might of cleaned house in the previous dungeon may now be at the mercy of the new gang of ghouls. But does that mean you need to level up every character individually? Thankfully no! Every party member you have, even if they are still back at your base, will gain experience from every fight. This makes changing parties to tackle new dungeons very seamless and fluid. Plus, the addition of two separate Auto Battle options makes every fight a joy.

Spreading the Love
tuAeM.jpg

(Alicius)

So you think you've found a pretty some pretty sweet Denpa Men? Well, how about sharing your find with the world! Once you've progressed far enough in the game, you'll be able to create and download QR codes for various Denpa Men. This makes trading DENPA MEN with your friends very easy, and is quite useful if you need a Denpa Man with a specific skill or group of attributes. But don't worry about blasting through the game with a party of maxed out QR Denpa Men, each character you receive through a code will start at level 1, letting you train them from scratch.

Along with Alicius, who is posted above, Genius Sonority has been releasing other special Denpa Men through QR codes. I will post links to the rest of them below as they are released. (Note: These codes are for the North American release.)

Carlton
Koen
Hazel
Berny
Bob
Greg
Lucius
Julie
Rolf
Billy
Harry
Matt

Play Before You Pay
RlXBi.png

Oh, did I forget to mention this game has a FREE DEMO?!? It's available right now on the North American 3DS eShop. Plus, you can transfer you save file from the demo over to the full version of the game, so no need to say goodbye to your Denpa Men! (You can create a clear save to transfer to the full version when you
visit The Docks for the first time after you defeat the first boss and get the raft parts.
)

pQdj5.png

Videos
North American Commercial
Gameplay Trailer #1 (Adventure)
Gameplay Trailer #2 (Catching)
Gameplay Trailer #3 (Battles)
Gameplay Trailer #4 (Treasure)
Gameplay Trailer #5 (Party)
Gameplay Trailer #6 (QR Code)
Gameplay Trailer #7 (Weaknesses)
The Real Denpa Men Vol. 1: How to Catch Denpa Men
The Real Denpa Men Vol. 2: Antennas of the Denpa Men
The Real Denpa Men Vol. 3: Colours of the Denpa Men
The Real Denpa Men Vol. 4: Strange Fruits
The Real Denpa Men Vol. 5: The Hot Spring Effect
The Real Denpa Men Vol. 6: Waging Battle as a Group
The Real Denpa Men Vol. 7: About QR Codes
The Real Denpa Men Vol. 8: Handling Hypergas

Music
yj6qL.png

With all that time spent traversing dungeons, you would hope that there would be some nice music to accompany you right? Well, there is! (You can listen to some samples here.) This game features quite a funky fresh soundtrack, and you can even purchase it through iTunes.

NLawF.gif
CPh5U.gif
Fy4ip.gif
eNat8.gif
n1146.gif
a1cD3.gif
RIiLK.gif

ipBDb.gif
8tZAJ.gif
Rd9hL.gif
c8Tc6.gif
kK4CW.gif
hDO03.gif
Kj9Ko.gif

Credit for the Avatars to the official Japanese and North American web sites. (More available at the source.)

Links
Official Twitter Page
Official Facebook Page
Official YouTube Page
Japanese Wiki (w/ Google Translator Enabled)

KYrWm.png

Nintendo Life (9/10)
Nintendojo (B+)
Operation Rainfall (4½/5)
Nintendo Dude (5/5)
Destructoid (8.5/10)
More to come...?

8yiGL.png

THE DENPA MEN: They Came By Wave is a really fun and challenging old school JRPG. I would easily put it amongst the great eShop titles like Pushmo & VVVVVV. It's quite awesome to see original RPG content on the eShop and I hope this is just the start of much more to come. And with a free demo, it's easy to give this game a shot. Plus, THE DENPA MEN 2 look INCREDIBLE, so I'm hoping the first one can find an audience in North America and beyond so this fun series can continue. (Edit: The sequel has been confirmed for North America!)

Thanks for reading and please feel free to post any corrections, additions, reviews, articles, etc. and I'll do my best to add them to the OP. Also, I know my banners are monstrosities, so if anyone wants to submit some new ones, you are more than welcome to.

Credit for all screens and artwork go to the official Japanese and North American web sites.

I dont know about this game, I played the demo, I think after about an hr the battle music and gameplay could really start to be grating. I'll wait and see more feedback before buying.

Kacho

Thanks for making an OP for this game. It's fantastic. Check it out if you have a 3DS, guys.

I was hoping someone would make an OT for this!! Fun, old school RPG at it's finest.

Everyone should at least try the demo. Pretty long too, I'm about 20 hours in and about done.

Highly fun and quirky game - one of the best selling original software on the JPN eshop for a reason. A good, solid 5-8 hours of fun for me.

Going to pick up the sequel tonight, which seems to have even more content than this game.

Thanks for the OT! Seriously, anyone with a 3DS should at the very least download the demo and give it a shot. If you find that you like the game (and how could you not?) your progress in the demo can be transferred to the full game.

Fewr

Bought this game because I liked the demo a lot. I feel I'm getting my money's worth, I'm currently at the fire dungeon. (I hope I finish before Pokemon is out!!)

Highly fun and quirky game - one of the best selling original software on the JPN eshop for a reason. A good, solid 5-8 hours of fun for me.

Going to pick up the sequel tonight, which seems to have even more content than this game.
I just watched the trailer for THE DENPA MEN 2 and it looks amazing.

Loved the demo! I played it for 2 hours & put a lot of time looking for more Denpa Men. Still, I haven't bought it, but I think I will soon with the $40 I put for the non-existant digital release of Layton 5 :(
Oh well, I think I may wait a while because White 2 is coming soon and I don't like playing 2 similar games together, but I look forward to getting this.
Also, I hope the 2nd part gets localized. I watched the trailer and it looked amazing, way better than this one! It's crazy what Genius Sonority can do on its own.
Nice to see it got an OT!

Alboreo

Thanks for the OT! I plan on picking this up later this week. The demo was a blast, although it didn't feel like there would be much depth to the combat/gameplay. Hopefully I'm wrong, as I've heard people talking in the prior Denpa Men thread about the elaborate party setups they would have to create to beat bosses.

That's the kinda thing I'm into, as it were.

Vibed

Loved what I played in the demo and want to buy the full game, but I know I would be too busy to even play it!

I checked out the sequel's trailer and I really like how it has an overworld and little minigames and quests. One thing though, if the sequel is coming out in Japan this week and the original came out in February, isn't that less than 7 months development time? For some reason that seems a little on the short side.

Loved what I played in the demo and want to buy the full game, but I know I would be too busy to even play it!

I checked out the sequel's trailer and I really like how it has an overworld and little minigames and quests. One thing though, if the sequel is coming out in Japan this week and the original came out in February, isn't that less than 7 months development time? For some reason that seems a little on the short side.

It's a sequel, though and they didn't need to do as much pre-planning/design work as the first one (presumably). Maybe some features from the first one got moved over to the sequel, saving some time? Genius Sonority is only about 30 people anyway.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This game is a really neat, pick-up and play portable RPG. I'm really enjoying it.

Battles are really quick, too, with all the dudes running at the enemies at once, haha.

I've been hooked on this game all weekend. Slogging my way through the
Volcano
right now. I have more space in the Denpa House than I need, lol. Probably gonna start scanning all sorts of QR Codes.

Awesome OT, am loving the game so far. Its really nice to have a nice original JRPG on the 3DS in the west. Love what they did with the Demo and having being able to carry saves over, such a great idea for those who want to just check it out and then want to play the whole game but not want to start from the beginning again.

So far am up to the 4th Dungeon, my guys are hovering around level 17-18. I really love how the gameplay is pretty simple on its surface but if you want to get more indepth the options are there. You can auto fight each and every battle if you want but if you want to you can swap and change and alter your party to suit your needs and micro manage almost everything if you want.

Really really hope this sells well enough for the sequel to come out as I really really like the look of that.

Just played the demo after never ever hearing about the existence of this game. I just saw a demo, had no idea what it was, and downloaded the demo without looking at a single screenshot or video.

I am so fucking satisfied. That demo was so good. It looks like the perfect portable game.

I really wish the game had a real-time battle system, though.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I just spent a half hour walking around the darkened city sidestreets of Chicago with my 3DS open in front of my face, slowly pacing and panning it around, searchin, SEARCHIN FOR MEN.

Got some GOOD ONES though, aw yeah. Ultimate earth and water antennas, a couple heal-everyone dudes, but I fucked up catchin Ultimate Fire Dude FUCK, he sure woulda been nice against the ice boss I'm stuck on.

Chatin

Really enjoying playing this. GS did well in understanding how to take something simple and make it solid. That's where I find most of the eShop content fails, in that it comes across as generic and disposable.

Apparently the album is not on iTunes Canada. Shame.

Fixed a bunch of typos, added a review and posted a link to a guide of all the different main characters you can get randomly when you start your game in the OP.

I was hoping Genius Sonority was working on a new Pokemon battle game for Wii U, but at least they are working hard on their new IP.

Just finished the Evil Tower, wasn't too hard for me, I think I had more trouble with the last area then this one if only due to the large amount of poison guys and those stupid flying sting rays. It also helped that I had a large amount of White Denpas and just loaded up my party with all of them. If only I could find more coloured Denpas but I'm not having much luck finding some with antennas :/

I haven't completed the demo yet but my girlfriend (who is a DQIX fanatic) was hooked on it all night. We even went on a walk around the neighborhood so she could scan different wi-fi signals.

Wait a fucking second

NO PAL VERSION?
I would imagine it would be coming sooner or later, on the Official Twitter account they said they are just working on the US release for now but they seem to be getting lots of interest for a PAL version so I would imagine they would be looking into it.

So for now you'll just need to play your version of Picross E and all the awesome VC games the US is still waiting on that Euro already has

Rarutos

I was hoping one of these would be made! Thanks Gunloc! :)

Really enjoying the game myself! It's simplistic, but not so much that it's super easy. I love the degree of challenge in the game. Most of the time it feels like it is challenging but not to the point where it's frustrating. It's also really cute! And going around and finding Denpa Men to catch is a blast. :)

Added another glowing review to the OP. I hope some more of the "big name" sites review the game, I really think it deserves the attention.

Pro tip: The L button can be used to confirm, so that means you can grind with just one hand. ;D

Makes hunting for rare drops like new clothes even easier.

Pro tip: The L button can be used to confirm, so that means you can grind with just one hand. ;D

Makes hunting for rare drops like new clothes even easier.
That is some most awesome news, I love all the little short cuts this game has to just make it really streamlined and easy to play.

Nose Master

In the final dungeon, the only thing that really irks me about this game:

Why do attack-all spells from the enemy always decimate? Every single enemy in this dungeon is a joke except for Black Mists, who almost one shot everyone, in a single turn.
It certainly doesn't help that the only way to damage them is light magic.

The difficulty is just really un-even (and frustrating, at times) after the
initial 4 dungeons. I beat the forest maze before the Volcano because of how stupid the boss was in that area. Yes, Water weakens him, but when he's buffed, no one's speed can match his. So he one shots your entire team before you get a chance. The only reason I won is because the first weakness I hit on him lasted for four turns. I feel like the only way to beat the final dungeon is to roll in with 7 White Denpa Men, two with healing spells, and the rest with Light Magic.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Make AU part of NA. PROBLEM SOLVED (for me)

Sup AU buddy!

AU/NZ releases have their own issues--the OFLC rating is way, way more expensive than the ratings for other territories, and the potential customer base is way lower, hence why so many EU games are never released here.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I may or may not have bought a 3DS primarily for this game, and I'm loving it so far, and it's proved more challenging than I thought it'd be. There are small UI issues and I wish the battle system and enemies were more varied, but for $10, it's great.

Top Bottom