• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE DENPA MEN: They Came By Wave |OT| An original eShop JRPG (Free demo available)

Finally for around to purchasing this from the eShop after completely loving the demo over a month ago. Damn, this such a satisfying game to play. Reminds me of playing Dragon Quest III on my NES when I was young.

I'm only up to the third dungeon, but when do I gain the ability to read QR codes so I can unlock the special Denpas in the OP?

Just cleared the third dungeon. The second boss was way easier than the first with a full party of 8 Denpa dudes who were all lvl 13.

Also, the FB page just release a new QR code: Julie

Do I have to be connected to different WiFi accesspoints or is just being in the vicinity enough?

I think you just need to be in the vicinity, but I could be wrong.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Indeed it is! Haven't been able to pick it up myself, pretty low on funds -.-

Happen to know the EU price?

Edit: Just found it on the last post of the previous page
£7.19 and €7.99

Do I have to be connected to different WiFi accesspoints or is just being in the vicinity enough?
Nope, just being near different spots in enough, it'll continually ping for new ones while you are scanning.

Walking around an apartment complex or a mall is a treasure trove for Denpas.

Jesse-

Nope, just being near different spots in enough, it'll continually ping for new ones while you are scanning.

Walking around an apartment complex or a mall is a treasure trove for Denpas.

Looks pretty silly tough, especially when you encounter a fast Denpa man.

Celine

Anybody get this in Europe today?
Yesterday at around midnight was freezing outside and I went out to catch some more Denpa Men.
Very cold but it was worth it :-D.

I'm at the cave-lake island, under the small mineral town.

What a great game, it has all the right requirement for a DQ style game but with an engrossing charming style that validate the experience.

Linkup

Finally beat the snow boss after leveling up my full heal all denpa gal. I rushed ahead thinking the next dungeon was the last lol. I think and I repeat I think I have two more dungeons and Im 30 hours in now.

Chopper

I just loaded up the full game for the first time. I enjoyed the demo and beat that wolf with ease. So... I want to go through the door that I can't open in the demo, but it suggests I should be level 15. I thought "Fuck that!" and bowled in, only to get my team of 6 denpas totally crushed by one enemy.

I mean, I killed the wolf boss easily. But my team is only about level 6. Do I have to grind the stupidly easy first "dungeon" just to proceed?!

ZenaxPure

I mean, I killed the wolf boss easily. But my team is only about level 6. Do I have to grind the stupidly easy first "dungeon" just to proceed?!

Negative, if you go outside you will see there is like 2 more dungeons waiting for you. When you get done with those you will be a high enough level to go back and do the tower.

Chopper

Negative, if you go outside you will see there is like 2 more dungeons waiting for you. When you get done with those you will be a high enough level to go back and do the tower.
I'm an idiot. I didn't even think of the port. I thought it was only used in the demo! Thanks.

Game is awesome.

Celine

So I'm in scorch volcano.
I believe I explored every paths in the dungepn but i can't find the boss.

Ant advice?

Thanks.

Judging by the amount of special QR characters in Japan, it seems the final special QR code character for the US version has been released. (All links can be found in the OP.)

The developers said they are going to start releasing codes for the PAL version soon.

DNF

So I'm in scorch volcano.
I believe I explored every paths in the dungepn but i can't find the boss.

Ant advice?

Thanks.

1F - head East East North StairsUp
2F - head South West North StairsDown
1F - head West South west North Stairsup
2F - head West South West North StairsDown
1F - head East South East (You should now be at the South-West of the 1F Map with a UpStairs, a teleporter and another Upstairs straight in line) take the Upper StairsUp
2F - head West StairsUp
3F - head North StairsUp
4F - head North StairsUp
5F - head North StairsUp

OMG Aero

I don't suppose anyone with the EU version wants to share some Denpa Men QR codes?
Originally I wanted to play through the game just with Denpa Men I found through Wi-Fi networks but that's getting harder now that I'm running out of places to get them from. When I was looking online for some QR codes (and finding that most of them were for the American version only) I saw that there is apparently a program that straight up lets you generate Denpa Men but I'd still rather play legit and just use Denpa Men actually found in the game.
Here are some ones I found that are apparently special because they were glowing in the AR viewer. I'm not sure what about them is special but they both have multi-target elemental spells so maybe that's it.

A green Denpa Man QR code would be nice because I don't have any green ones.

Chopper

Here's my green dude. His aerial juat "evolved", which is cool. Wasn't expecting that!

sMfGa.jpg

DNF

I don't suppose anyone with the EU version wants to share some Denpa Men QR codes?
Originally I wanted to play through the game just with Denpa Men I found through Wi-Fi networks but that's getting harder now that I'm running out of places to get them from. When I was looking online for some QR codes (and finding that most of them were for the American version only) I saw that there is apparently a program that straight up lets you generate Denpa Men but I'd still rather play legit and just use Denpa Men actually found in the game.
Here are some ones I found that are apparently special because they were glowing in the AR viewer. I'm not sure what about them is special but they both have multi-target elemental spells so maybe that's it.

A green Denpa Man QR code would be nice because I don't have any green ones.

I wonder if the stats are the same for everyone, or are they depending on your main denpa level ?

Braylon Lv50 HP304 AP215 At117 Def127 Speed194 Evade6 Fatal(All)

Bentley Lv45 HP219 AP243 At97 Def112 Speed141 Evade16 Hurricane

Looks pretty silly tough, especially when you encounter a fast Denpa man.

Just driving to the next village (as a co-driver obviously) did the trick for me, since most people seem to have smartphones and wifi routers. Got about 25 new denpas with one drive. just tried to get as many as possbible and didn't try to catch certain one. i sorted and dumped those i didn't need later comfortable at home

OMG Aero

I wonder if the stats are the same for everyone, or are they depending on your main denpa level ?
So I just scanned those codes (thanks for the green ones guys, they should be helpful in the Oasis place I'm at now) and it turns out scanned Denpa Men come in at level 1 which is kind of a bummer.
I guess it's to stop you abusing QR codes but it also said that you can't retrieve Denpa Men gotten from QR codes so if you happen to have a party wipe after grinding up a QR code Denpa Men then you have to start from level 1 again which massively sucks.

DNF

So I just scanned those codes (thanks for the green ones guys, they should be helpful in the Oasis place I'm at now) and it turns out scanned Denpa Men come in at level 1 which is kind of a bummer.
I guess it's to stop you abusing QR codes but it also said that you can't retrieve Denpa Men gotten from QR codes so if you happen to have a party wipe after grinding up a QR code Denpa Men then you have to start from level 1 again which massively sucks.

oh, okay didn't know that. but at level 1 they need way less xp to level up than later i think, so i guess it would just take a few fights with them to bring them to a useful level.
there are also
XP-multiplier rings
available in the game, i guess these are especially for this purpose.

Deband

Just got this and it's awesome. Trying to not read too much of the thread til i'm stuck though. Did notice someone was at 30 hours, any idea how long the game is?

Celine

1F - head East East North StairsUp
2F - head South West North StairsDown
1F - head West South west North Stairsup
2F - head West South West North StairsDown
1F - head East South East (You should now be at the South-West of the 1F Map with a UpStairs, a teleporter and another Upstairs straight in line) take the Upper StairsUp
2F - head West StairsUp
3F - head North StairsUp
4F - head North StairsUp
5F - head North StairsUp
Whoops missed a stair.

Now I really need to catch some denpa men with water magic cause the boss is really though without them.

d+pad

Not sure if it's OK to post this here, or if anyone will care about it even if it is OK, but I just named The 'Denpa' Men my 'Favorite 3DS Game of the Year.' Here's my write-up about it: http://www.thegaygamer.com/2012/12/the-denpa-men-my-favorite-3ds-game-of.html

Other than that, I *really* can't wait for the follow-up to be released in North America. I've put more than 40 hours into the first 'Denpa' Men so far, and I expect to put even more into the sequel :)

I bought this three days ago and already love it. It's so fucking adorable. The characters, writing, and music are so damn charming. I'm really glad we're getting the sequel.

I just started the fourth dungeon. Can't wait. The game has a nice challenge to it, I think, and I really like that you can give orders individually to your Denpa Men in what ever order you wish. I also like that you can just hit auto/no skill for the rest of them once you select specific actions to ensure they're performed by a certain Denpa Men so it's not left to chance or whatever.

I LOVE the boss battle theme; it's just so goddamn adorable and it gets you pumped.

Qurupeke

I started the game yesterday, after I finished Paper Mario. It's really great! It needs a lot of grinding but it worths it. I also love the design of the enemies. Some of them are awesome like the wind bees and the dark dragon. I am on the volcano now, with an army of water bracelet denpa men.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
all the positive impressions made me try the demo and I really really like it. A colourful mix between Tingle's RR, DQ and craziness. Will surely buy the full version asap!

In case anyone didn't see the post in the main forum, IGN is reporting that THE DENPA MEN 2 will be released in the US soon (The IGN date is wrong apparently.)

I also updated the OT with some must watch videos of the always awesome "real" Denpa Men. They feed each other bananas. You can find all seven linked in the first post of this topic.

And finally, also related to the "real" Denpa Men, Genius Sorority has released the official QR codes for the lovable trio from the commercials. Now you can have Billy, Harry (who sometimes calls himself Henry) and Matt in your copy of the game to do with as you please. You can find their QR codes linked with the rest of the special Denpa Men on the first page too in case you missed any of them.

Rran

I MUST HAVE THIS GAME!!

I've been holding off on the original ever since I heard about the sequel being just, well, all around better than its predecessor. Hopefully they'll announce a release date sooooonnnnn

I don't have any plans to do an OT for the second game, as I'm kinda OT'd out right now. (Just finished two, and I'm committed to another one soon.)

But if someone else wants to, I think it would be a good idea to make a separate one. Even just a quick and dirty one with a few screens and a bit on info would suffice I think.

Chopper

Not even touching the second until I've played more of the first. I enjoyed what I played, but got massively distracted by bigger and better things. As a quick gateway, seeing as I have a short plane journey tomorrow, can someone give me a quick rundown of the paper-scissor-stone mechanic? I remember just forgetting one time and putting it down for good. I will rectify that...

Aad

I have been really enjoying this game the past weekend.

All my denpa were around level 40 and I got to the ice boss, boom he wipes me clean, attempt several more times still can't beat him, now i'm out of cash to buy sacrifices and no denpa men left.

This one mechanic pretty much ruined the whole game for me when otherwise would be my favorite 3DS eShop title.

I will try again, whats the best way to grind my men?

Top Bottom