• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE DENPA MEN: They Came By Wave |OT| An original eShop JRPG (Free demo available)

Jintor

Sup AU buddy!

AU/NZ releases have their own issues--the OFLC rating is way, way more expensive than the ratings for other territories, and the potential customer base is way lower, hence why so many EU games are never released here.

But we're finally getting Shantae and Inkworm Animation! The system works!

d+pad

Absolutely loving this game so far. In fact, I think I may be loving it a bit too much -- I can't stop playing it! The good thing about that, though, is that it means I'm a bit over-leveled at the moment, so the enemies I'm encountering in the Road to Oasis dungeon aren't bothering me much.

I'm also driving my husband a bit nuts whenever we leave the house, as I pretty much always want to bring my 3DS with me and scan for 'Denpa' Men while he drives :p

Speaking of 'Denpa' Men: Is it OK to share QR codes of our favorite 'Denpa' Men here, or should that be done elsewhere? I've already taken photos of a bunch of mine and will share them here if anyone would like. I'd also love to see other folks' QR codes, if any of you are willing to share...

There shouldn't be any problem with posting Denpa Men QR codes. I could use some more if they have good stats/abilities even though I already scanned enough to almost fill my house

d+pad

Yes, but they raise in levels rather quickly thanks to the developers' decision to give experience to ALL of your Denpa men/women after each battle -- even those that are left behind in the Denpa Men House.

Yes, but they raise in levels rather quickly thanks to the developers' decision to give experience to ALL of your Denpa men/women after each battle -- even those that are left behind in the Denpa Men House.

Considering you can have up to 150 Denpa Men in the house, this is a godsend.

d+pad

Is there anybody with this many Denpa Men? Once I reached my eight, I stopped catching them.

Really? Why'd you do that? It's good to have a nice assortment of Denpa men/women so you can take, say, two or three fire-based ones into the ice dungeon or two or three water-based ones into the volcano dungeon.

Personally, I have five rooms full of Denpa men/women at the moment, three rooms of which I caught and two rooms of which are full of ones nabbed via QR codes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is there anybody with this many Denpa Men? Once I reached my eight, I stopped catching them.

I've been catching them everywhere when I go out, trying to find sparkling / unique ones. Riding the streetcar actually turns into an interesting game, where you try to catch them before the signal they've spawned from gets out of range.

We actually liked this game enough that both my wife and myself bought copies.

d+pad

I do the same thing, EvilMario, although I try to catch them quickly while I'm in the car (someone else is driving, of course!). You really have to be quick to catch them before the signal goes out of range :(

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Really? Why'd you do that? It's good to have a nice assortment of Denpa men/women so you can take, say, two or three fire-based ones into the ice dungeon or two or three water-based ones into the volcano dungeon.

Personally, I have five rooms full of Denpa men/women at the moment, three rooms of which I caught and two rooms of which are full of ones nabbed via QR codes.
I get attached to the little guys, and I don't want to swap them out like they're mere tools. I've generally done the same sort of thing in Pokémon games; I'm the person whose PC is completely empty.

About 1.5 hours into the sequel...man, I hope they keep making these. Slightly different to the first one, but totally a more well-thought out experience. Hopefully it gets released Stateside/EU/AU/NZ/Everywhere too.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
About 1.5 hours into the sequel...man, I hope they keep making these. Slightly different to the first one, but totally a more well-thought out experience. Hopefully it gets released Stateside/EU/AU/NZ/Everywhere too.
Why would you tease us? :(

I do the same thing, EvilMario, although I try to catch them quickly while I'm in the car (someone else is driving, of course!). You really have to be quick to catch them before the signal goes out of range :(
Yeah I get that while I'm on the bus and trying to find new ones.

All the talk about the sequel makes me really want that, I hope it doesn't take too long to make its way over here

moozoom

I want this so bad... I hope it will be out soon in europe, I don't really understand why Sakura samurai isn't out yet (translation ?)

The artstyle reminds me of Gitaroo man, which is a very good thing.

Linkup

The answers to the dwarf questions.

The early dwarf finds the "worm." Is this correct? No
The proverb mentions a "pickaxe." Is this correct? Yes
The proverb means that no rumors can exist where there is no truth. Is this correct? Yes
Is it the King of Evil in the disguise? Is this correct? No
The object in the sky is gold. Is this correct? Yes

Mato

This looks so gay, there's no way I wouldn't enjoy it if I had a 3DS. Btw could someone gift me a 3DS I just had my birthday.

soultron

Banned
This looks so gay, there's no way I wouldn't enjoy it if I had a 3DS. Btw could someone gift me a 3DS I just had my birthday.

Does... does this mean I'm gay now? Because I am loving the shit out of this game. $10 well spent.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Does... does this mean I'm gay now? Because I am loving the shit out of this game. $10 well spent.
Does this mean I'm even more gay now? Because I've really enjoyed buying new clothes for my Denpa Men. They're adorable.

d+pad

Does this mean I'm even more gay now? Because I've really enjoyed buying new clothes for my Denpa Men. They're adorable.

Ha! You and me both, lunch :) I'm referring to the first part of your comment, by the way, not the second.

Is it weird that I refuse to put any clothes on my Denpa Men? I like them au natural :)

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Ha! You and me both, lunch :) I'm referring to the first part of your comment, by the way, not the second.

Is it weird that I refuse to put any clothes on my Denpa Men? I like them au natural :)
Going through your QR codes (thank you for them by the way), I can see why, as you have some cool, mutlicolored Denpa Men. I wish there was a greater variety in clothes, but I'll have Style Savvy in a few weeks time for that.

I fully expect to hear Denpa Men talk on the next Nichiest Podcast.

d+pad

Thanks, lunch! And, yes, I've definitely been lucky to find a few really cool multi-colored Denpa Men so far. I've also found a few via QR codes, of course, but all of the ones I shared on my blog were caught by me personally. (I didn't find Bentlee, the "Heal All" Denpa Man, though.)

We do talk about The 'Denpa' Men on the next Nichiest Podcast Ever, by the way. Hopefully I helped sell the game -- although I'm a bit worried that I was a bit too excited while trying to explain what it is and how it works :p

Hobby

Okay, the
Ice Demon
boss is stupidly hard. The recommended level for the dungeon is 30, yet I'm still getting decimated at 35ish once he does his little power up thing.

All-area enemy attacks in this game are just too overpowered. Really should've been balanced better.

stealthpengu

Neo Member
Okay, the
Ice Demon
boss is stupidly hard. The recommended level for the dungeon is 30, yet I'm still getting decimated at 35ish once he does his little power up thing.

All-area enemy attacks in this game are just too overpowered. Really should've been balanced better.

try buying and using Hypergas during the battle... I'm not exactly sure what it does, but I bought 2 and used them through the battle and beat it easily... whereas I died multiple times without it

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
But they're so chuffed when you give 'em stuff to wear! How can you deny them that joy?

i1GRbPXc4J0lM.jpg

...Err, of course I took the picture too late to capture him grinning. (Also, lol that Armani is the only one in my party with fancy duds on.)

The demo sold me, I'll buy it by the weekend if Hell Yeah doesn't completely occupy my time. I really want this to do well.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The few reviews I've seen for this.. reviewers don't seem to grasp the concept of capturing different Denpa Men based on different signals at different locations. I really love going out and see what new Denpa Men are floating around; It's 90% of the appeal to me and it'll give the game legs.

d+pad

The few reviews I've seen for this.. reviewers don't seem to grasp the concept of capturing different Denpa Men based on different signals at different locations. I really love going out and see what new Denpa Men are floating around; It's 90% of the appeal to me and it'll give the game legs.

I agree, EvilMario! Before I played the game, I wasn't so sure about this particular aspect of it. Now, though, I think it's one of the best things about it :)

BTW, honorless, I *really* want that orange-and-blue striped Denpa Man shown in your photo! Will you share the QR code for him if you ever buy the full game?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
BTW, honorless, I *really* want that orange-and-blue striped Denpa Man shown in your photo! Will you share the QR code for him if you ever buy the full game?
Absolutely. I'll leave a comment on your post, or PM you if Blogger won't cooperate.

I will point out that his HP isn't naturally that high, though; he's wearing the accessory that raises it. But you seem to be more interested in his looks than his stats, so maybe that doesn't matter... :)

KarmaCow

From playing the demo, it seems like the is more about picking the right denpa men before going into the dungeon rather than tactics in a battle. The auto battle routine seems to pick the options after the enemy select attacks, so it will do things like revive someone who just died in the same turn. Surely there has to be reason to not use auto battle, does it not use items?

From playing the demo, it seems like the is more about picking the right denpa men before going into the dungeon rather than tactics in a battle. The auto battle routine seems to pick the options after the enemy select attacks, so it will do things like revive someone who just died in the same turn. Surely there has to be reason to not use auto battle, does it not use items?

Sometimes you want to target a specific enemy. Auto battle won't know which. I don't think it uses items, but even if it did, it can't make the same choices you would. I only select Auto when I want everyone to attack and it either doesn't matter which enemy is targeted, or if there's only one. Or I might select some men to use items or abilities and then put the rest on auto.

d+pad

Absolutely. I'll leave a comment on your post, or PM you if Blogger won't cooperate.

I will point out that his HP isn't naturally that high, though; he's wearing the accessory that raises it. But you seem to be more interested in his looks than his stats, so maybe that doesn't matter... :)

Thanks, honorless! If you can leave your QR code in the comments section of my blog post, great, but if not, leaving it here or sending it to me via PM would be great, too.

As for this Denpa Man's HP: I hadn't even noticed! Like you assumed, I really only want him because of his appearance :)

I really hope so more sites review this game. Lots of them have little blurbs about the game that are quite positive, but reviews would really help the game reach more people.

Top Bottom