• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile |OT| XBLA - 800points

Gowans

boxed.png

Title: The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
Platform: Xbox LIVE Arcade
Developer: Ska Studios
Release Date: April 6, 2011
Price: 800 Microsoft Points

"The highly anticipated sequel to 2009’s “The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai”, “The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile” takes the series' stylistic fast action, deep gameplay and unique visual style and kicks it up a few blood soaked notches!"

• Vengeance is Yours! Seek retribution as you slash your way through 13 unique campaign levels as Yuki or The Dishwasher.
• Be The Ultimate Dishwasher. Climb the Xbox LIVE® leaderboards in 50 Arcade levels and the almost endless Dish Challenge.
• It’s More Fun With Friends. Two player local and Xbox LIVE® co-op support means that you and a friend can experience the carnage together.

Screens:
VS-Screen-1.jpg

VS-Screen-2.jpg

VS-Screen-3.jpg

VS-Screen-4.jpg

VS-Screen-5.jpg

Video:
Launch Trailer
GiantBomb QuickLook

Reviews: Metacritic

Game Website: http://www.vampiresmile.com/
Developer Website: http://www.ska-studios.com

Xbox.com Marketplace Page

Gowans

Yeah I've grabbed all the Ska Studios XBLA & Indie stuff and enjoyed them, don't think I finished The Dishwasher tho, might throw it in today and have a go.

I've had a go tho would be nice for an early copy.

Looks awesome from the Quicklook.

Tokubetsu

Gowans007 said:
Yeah I've grabbed all the Ska Studios XBLA & Indie stuff and enjoyed them, don't think I finished The Dishwasher tho, might throw it in today and have a go.

I've had a go tho would be nice for an early copy.

Looks awesome from the Quicklook.

Never finished it either. It's gets pretty fucking hard.

Gowans

Tokubetsu said:
Never finished it either. It's gets pretty fucking hard.
Yeah hopefully this is a little more balanced or story co-op should make it easier to get through.

Noogy

Awesome, thanks for the OT Gowans007.

As mentioned in the other thread, I think this is easily one of the best 2D action games I've played in years. I can't really do an eloquent review, but here are my thoughts.

James has improved every single aspect over the original game. Yes, it can be hard if you want to play on higher settings, but everything about it is much more accessible. Generous checkpoints, intuitive combat, and easier difficulty settings for the less-than-hardcore. I really liked the first one, but I admit that it was pretty brutal, and can happily recommend Vampire Smile to anyone who was afraid of the first.

I personally love the story and presentation that's being offered here, and I'm always a sucker for upgrades and new weapons in my action games. I don't really want to spoil the narrative, but I found it INCREDIBLY epic and satisfying in the end. Excellent pacing, fantastic boss fights, and a crazy grin-inducing experience from beginning to end. And I haven't even touched coop (aside from an enjoyable match with James at PAX).

I'm fairly certain it'll be some of the best 800 MS points you spend this year. It's hard to put into words, but for me, this is the true definition of a video game.

clockpunk

Having just finished Dead Samurai on the difficulty required to unlock the final cheevo, and hit Level 100 in ZP2KXX (a genius of a game - why MS didn't snap this up as a full-on Arcade release, I'll never know), ANYTHING from Ska Studios is an insta-purchase, no demo needed, from me.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I didn't particularly care for the first one. It seemed like it took forever to kill guys and the combat didn't seem as good as advertised. Would the second one change my mind?

Gong

ZealousD said:
I didn't particularly care for the first one. It seemed like it took forever to kill guys and the combat didn't seem as good as advertised. Would the second one change my mind?

Our reviewer shared a lot of your frustrations with the first title, but he found this much more approachable and easier to get on with.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
HyperMusic said:
Our reviewer shared a lot of your frustrations with the first title, but he found this much more approachable and easier to get on with.

Well it wasn't really frustrations per say. It wasn't that the game was too difficult, I just wasn't having fun with it. There wasn't enough satisfaction to the combat when it took like three full combos to kill a single dude.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I FINALLY just got the stupid Black Book achivement for 100 million points in a single level in the first Dishwasher, for over 2 years my achivements ended in an odd number without that. OCD overwhelmed me and I finally fixed it. >_<

Probably going to get this, forgot how fun the first game was. I had a lot of issues with it but this seems like it's fixing a lot of it.

surly

Banned
The demo is up in the Marketplace, but only via the console at the moment. If you go to the A-Z list on the dashboard, you'll see it there. It's 151 MB.

EDIT - Sorry, already mentioned!

Gowans

Took an early lunch to check it out. Man it feels great, everything feels like an improvement from the first. Now back to work :( Hopefully I can get some good time in tonight

sinky72

Never played the 1st one but decided to give this a try and downloaded after reading a few reviews. My god!!, how mental is this game (in a great way). Played about 30 mins only so far but enjoying it a lot more than I was expecting. Bloody fantastic :).

Zabka

I won a copy off of Ska Studios Twitter last night. I was a big fan of the first and this is a nice improvement. My only issue so far is that I think they overdid the shaking/blurriness on the executions. Most of the time I can't see what the fuck is going on.

The gameplay is still rock solid though. The weapons feel great and it's just as responsive as the first.

Hachimaki

I can't wait to try this out with my friends. Played the first few levels and I like the style and action. At the beginning it felt awkward for me using the right stick to dodge but now it's not a problem.

Definitely a game that fell under my radar and worth the 800 points.

Atomski

Just tried the demo and thought it was pretty fun. Never played the first one though.. should I go back and play that first?

bigace33

I loved the art and style of the first game, but the difficulty was just too brutal for me. This does look amazing though.

S1kkZ

bigace33 said:
I loved the art and style of the first game, but the difficulty was just too brutal for me. This does look amazing though.

its easier so far and there is still easy mode and princess mode ;)

Hachimaki

The first levels I played on normal. Maybe it becomes more difficult in the later stages but I thought the first couple were too easy.

S1kkZ

i think its really nice that the stuff you unlocked carries over to the other difficulties.
i started on normal but i switched back to easy. i had to start from the beginning but i had all the stuff (weapons, items) that i already unlocked.

the game is much more forgiving than the first one.

Decado

Loved the first one. My favourite downloadable title this gen along with Dead Nation.

This is so bought as soon as I pick up another Xbox.

S1kkZ said:
i think its really nice that the stuff you unlocked carries over to the other difficulties.
i started on normal but i switched back to easy. i had to start from the beginning but i had all the stuff (weapons, items) that i already unlocked.

the game is much more forgiving than the first one.

Love to hear that, 10 years ago I would welcome the brutally hard game but today I just don't have the time to spend playing same level over and over. I never got stuck somewhere in the first game and never went back even though I really enjoy the combat.

sinky72

it must be my old age but i'm finding it fairly tough already. Started on normal and got the boss fight (the big crab like boss) and i must have tried a dozen times and still no further forward. I can see me dropping down a difficulty :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sinky72 said:
it must be my old age but i'm finding it fairly tough already. Started on normal and got the boss fight (the big crab like boss) and i must have tried a dozen times and still no further forward. I can see me dropping down a difficulty :)
Hmm... Does it have a weak point?

Noogy

sinky72 said:

The right thumbstick is your friend. Once you get a handle on dodging behind an enemy right before their attack, you'll be golden. Eventually you'll be hitting that right thumbstick as much as any face button.

sinky72

SapientWolf said:
Hmm... Does it have a weak point?

I guessed that :), it's just that I cannot seem to get close before i get hit. It only takes a few hits from the boss and that's me gone :)

sinky72

Noogy said:
The right thumbstick is your friend. Once you get a handle on dodging behind an enemy right before their attack, you'll be golden. Eventually you'll be hitting that right thumbstick as much as any face button.

Cheers. I have tried using that a bit more. May just have to use it, hit it and run back out again like a wimp :)

Anyway, thank for advice

Noogy

sinky72 said:
I guessed that :), it's just that I cannot seem to get close before i get hit. It only takes a few hits from the boss and that's me gone :)

Yep, once you know he's about to attack, dodge 'through' him to the other side, and get some hits from behind. It's always more important to dodge out of harm's way than to try and rack up a powerful combo on a boss. If you only get one hit from behind, then so be it. Just watch his attacks.

And if you have any magic skulls handy, it's always a nice way to get out of a tight spot if you are surrounded during the boss. Does a bit of damage as well.

sinky72

Noogy said:
Yep, once you know he's about to attack, dodge 'through' him to the other side, and get some hits from behind. It's always more important to dodge out of harm's way than to try and rack up a powerful combo on a boss. If you only get one hit from behind, then so be it. Just watch his attacks.

And if you have any magic skulls handy, it's always a nice way to get out of a tight spot if you are surrounded during the boss. Does a bit of damage as well.

Thank you.

I hope he releases an updated version of Zombie Smasher X. It's River City Ransom with punks and zombies and nazis and the internet and all kinds of awesomeness.

ultim8p00

Banned
Im getting it now. If you want someone to play with, Gt is D3vinchi. I'm making a game just like this so I'll be playing it regularly to steal...er...I mean get inspiration.

Loved the first one though. It scratched that Ninja Gaiden difficulty itch for me

surly

Banned
I'm surprised this thread is so short. This is one of the best downloadable games I've bought in ages, especially for 800 msp. I played about 3 hours of it last night and it's so brutal! You really do have to make a lot of use of the right stick to dodge in the boss fights or you're toast.

I've been playing the Yuki campaign. Does anyone know if the Dishwasher campaign is completely different, or is it the same levels but you just play as a different character with different cut scenes?

Top Bottom