• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile |OT| XBLA - 800points

sinky72

Any other tips the experts can give? i.e when to use cloud or normal sword?, are the gun, chainsaw worth using?

Noogy

sinky72 said:
Any other tips the experts can give? i.e when to use cloud or normal sword?, are the gun, chainsaw worth using?

The most important upgrade imo are additional magic skulls. They can really help you out, particularly later when you get the
health absorbing magic

For Yuki I fell in love with the
syringe
and ended up upgrading that as much as possible. For the Dishwasher I really like the
hammer
for dumb groups (like zombies), but generally stick with the shift blade since it lets you dart around.

Finally, you can't ever go wrong upgrading your health as soon as you are able. And don't forget to equip those beads!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
sinky72 said:

I barely got to play this so far but I see Yuki has the up + Y chainsaw move which was insanely good in the first game.

Noogy

Papercuts said:
I barely got to play this so far but I see Yuki has the up + Y chainsaw move which was insanely good in the first game.

Haha, I think I got through the last part of the first game using only that move :) It was a lifesaver.

surly

Banned
Papercuts said:
I've been using down + Y quite a bit with the chainsaw. It's really useful on bosses and the
walker things that fire out missiles
because you can dodge round the screen and try and get above the enemy, then down + Y to hit them, then dodge again. It's good because it's a powerful attack and you rarely risk being hit. I've found it really useful on one of the later levels where it gets really tough and
you get earlier bosses coming back, but 2 at a time, and you have to survive several waves of that sort of thing before you can progress.
I think I'm on the last level now.

The craziest bit so far is when you fight that
guy in the wheelchair and it goes all old school. There's even a bit where it's like an old school RPG and you have to select attack, defend, or use magic from a menu.

I noticed a banner in the background of one of the levels which said "I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MBIES 1N IT!!!1". :D

clockpunk

There's a banner for ZP2KXX as well - a highly, highly recommended purchase.

I've played a few hours - I want to pace it out, I love Silva's style. Found a couple of sneakily hidden beads, but otherwise I do think it is a very worthy successor to Dead Samurai. Fantastic opening, Yuki is brilliant, the companions are awesome, the heavy metal violin... it all works.

Any of Ska Studios games should be touted as a worthy platform exclusive. Truly surprised Microsoft haven't made a bigger deal of this. Releasing all of the indie games (with added achievements and leaderboards), with both Dishwasher games and the upcoming Charlie Murder, along with all the themes gamerpics and a few extras, would make for a fantastic retail disc.

sinky72

Many thanks for the help. Managed to kick his backside good and proper :) Using that R stick made such a difference.

When you buy certain items at various times throughout the game like health and things, does it improve your health then or can you decide to use what you have bought if/when needed (like when your health is low). I've had a look but cannot find anything which says anything about it. basically, can you go into a menu system in middle of fighting to improve health or not is what i'm trying to say :)

thanks

mujun

Smision said:
I hope he releases an updated version of Zombie Smasher X. It's River City Ransom with punks and zombies and nazis and the internet and all kinds of awesomeness.

Is that Charlie Murder? I hope he releases Charlie Murder to XBLA (or XBLIG).

clockpunk

mujun said:
Is that Charlie Murder? I hope he releases Charlie Murder to XBLA (or XBLIG).

Apparently it is an XBLA exclusive title as well, with an ETA of 2012, according to their site...

Slermy

Played through the demo last night.

I like it! I had a lot of fun playing as Yuki and doing her blood dash move during fights. I think I might have to pick this one up.

sinky72

sinky72 said:
Many thanks for the help. Managed to kick his backside good and proper :) Using that R stick made such a difference.

When you buy certain items at various times throughout the game like health and things, does it improve your health then or can you decide to use what you have bought if/when needed (like when your health is low). I've had a look but cannot find anything which says anything about it. basically, can you go into a menu system in middle of fighting to improve health or not is what i'm trying to say :)

thanks

doh!! played it a bit more and can answer my own question... back button into menu. I've been playing through the game dying quite a lot not knowing I could improve my health through the menu. Lol.

Kafel

Banned
I've played the first chapter.

It seems the game is even more gory than the first one, and the gameplay has been perfected. Me likey.

eshwaaz

This game deserves far more attention. I just beat the game with Yuki, and immediately started over with the Dishwasher. For hack-and-slash fans, this is a no-brainer at $10.

The combat is incredibly satisfying in way that shames most full-priced releases. I cannot believe the diversity in weapons and how differently each one plays. Every impact feels powerful and brutal, complemented by great sound effects. Every weapon has unique attack animations and multiple finishing moves per enemy, and your arsenal is totally different for each of the two playable characters.

I don't have a high tolerance for challenge, but Dishwasher: Vampire Smile felt just perfect for me on Normal. If you hit a wall you can replay levels to grind points and level up your character. There are also beads you can find and equip that give you perks and advantages against certain enemies to further swing the odds in your favor.

If you like all-out action games, you owe it to yourself to at least try the demo. I played a bit of the first Dishwasher, and while I appreciated that it was an amazing accomplishment for the creator, I didn't particularly care for it. Vampire Smile took me completely by surprise, and is one of my favorite games of the year so far.

Gowans

Making the mistake? Of trying to beat the first one first, man it's hard on easy! Think I've waited my money with stupid bread.

moonbeam

Can this be played with an arcade stick? Looking at the demo, the alternate button layout has "gun" assigned to the right stick. How important is this gun?? Is there another way to use it without using the right stick?

S1kkZ

just finished the story mode (with dishwasher). awesome game, great coop, fantastic gameplay (feels like a mix between dmc and ninja gaiden).

buy this game people, its awesome!

derFeef

Bought this today, it is awesome so far!
I am already stuck on the boss in the 3rd level though, heh. Will try again later.

S1kkZ

derFeef said:
Bought this today, it is awesome so far!
I am already stuck on the boss in the 3rd level though, heh. Will try again later.
are you playing on normal? game gets really hard later on, i switched to easy.

but: you keep all the upgrades, weapons and pearls when you switch to a different difficulty.

derFeef

S1kkZ said:
are you playing on normal? game gets really hard later on, i switched to easy.

but: you keep all the upgrades, weapons and pearls when you switch to a different difficulty.
Ohh nice, thanks. Can I just restart the level on easy?
(I am not ashamed playing on an easier difficulty when I die often and get frustrated :p)

S1kkZ

derFeef said:
Ohh nice, thanks. Can I just restart the level on easy?
(I am not ashamed playing on an easier difficulty when I die often and get frustrated :p)
just switch the difficulty in the main menu (single player- story mode- easy). you have to start from the beginning, but like is said, you keep everything (this also the other way around. get upgrades on easy and then start playing on normal).

S1kkZ

CadetMahoney said:
You can't use the d-pad on this game even though it's not used for anything else can you?
yes but its not a problem, game plays fine with the stick (since you only use it for left/right).

sinky72

Still having a great deal of fun with this. I've only had a few tricky moments since it took me an age to get past the boss which I mentioned in my earlier posts. Some of the designs for the boss fights are great.
Just finished level 10 - Forstadt Lobby. Are there many more levels to go?

This game is the game I've had most fun from any game i've played so far this year and definitely one of the best (and possibly the best) XBLA title i've played.

Gowans

Gave up In trying to finish the first on easy, moved onto tuis on normal.

It's so much better in everything. Love the combat I feel like such a bad ass now. Really enjoying it.

Gowans

Gave up In trying to finish the first on easy, moved onto tuis on normal.

It's so much better in everything. Love the combat I feel like such a bad ass now. Really enjoying it.

sinky72

After a constant 2 hours this evening, i've finally finished it :eek:)

At times it was bloody hard, one boss this evening must have taken me nearly 40 mins to kill (after death after death. lol ) Not once did I get frustrated as I was to busy trying to work out a strategy to kill the bosses.

I'm saying this now, Dishwasher Vampire Smile is the best XBLA game I have ever played, it really was that good and out of all the games (XBLA and Full title games) i've played this year, this is by far the most fun I have had with a game. Just the pure joy of fighting wave after wave of enemy and the feeling of achievement after getting past a level.

Now i've finished it with Yuki, i'm going to play it through as the Dishwasher then i'm going to start on the arcade mode so i'll be playing this for a good while yet. Since I got it last Wednesday, i've not touched anything else. I'm playing through Crysis 2 but all i've wanted to do was finish this game.

Tokubetsu

Yea the game is great. Nothing like finishing a combo with a shotgun blast and watching ninjas disintegrate into beautiful red and pink mist.

Monocle

I never finished the original game. I tried to beat the trainyard level today (on normal) but I ran out of continues on the boss TWICE and had to replay the level TWICE. What kind of shit game design forces you to replay a shitty level because you ran out of money to buy continues? Holy fucking lord. I was hoping to unlock the chainsaw, but now I'll probably ignore the game for three more months.

Also: nutribread, what the fuck? It refills a minuscule sliver of your life. Worthless.

I'm going to buy Vampire Smile when it goes on sale because the demo was great, but I hope I won't be forced to purchase my fucking continues. Seriously.

Tokubetsu

You can continue indefinitely from what I've encountered but the game is a lot better balance and difficulty wise. A lot more forgiving. The hardest section for me in the game was the Justice Summit. It's a fucking gauntlet, even on normal. A boss rush room where you fight them two at a time, followed by what essentially is a a MINI boss rush mode then a boss fight at the end.

Tokubetsu

Broadbandito said:
I played the trial for this and fell in love with it. Do I need to play the first one first? I just picked up a points card

No and you'll probably hate the first one like most of us here came to (Read: It's hard as shit and very unforgiving). Vampire Smile is all gravey though. <3

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh my good lord. I played this from beginning to end in co op mode. It was maybe the best Xbox Live Arcade Experience I've ever had. Wow. Completely worth 800.

The controls...specifically the teleporting...is fucking AWESOME.

Finished this game in Co-Op on both Normal and Ninja difficulty. Only missing a few beads and I've got Dishwasher almost completely maxed out (another weapon to go). This game is easily the most fun I've had this year and probably a contender for best downloadable game I've played. The content, atmosphere and battle system shits all over similar titles (Muramasa etc) - and the multiplayer is flawlessly implemented.

Tomorrow I'm starting my Samurai run, though I'd like to max out everything and get all of the beads before hitting that difficulty - some of the battles in Ninja were fucking brutal. 3-4 Jack o Lantern Bots, followed by 2-4 giant samurai's, followed by 4+ Rocket Mech's, followed by 3+ of the weird hook handed boss you fight near the beginning of the game. It took ages, however once you get into the flow of it all - most of the fights regardless of enemy types are a cakewalk.

For anyone having trouble or looking for some tips:

- Definitely buy health once or twice as your priority upgrades
- Afterwards, max out Conviction/Shift Blade for Yuki/Dishwasher respectively - they are easily the most versatile weapons, if not the outright best,
-Never buy consumables, money is scarce.
- Explore every area, check for secret passages in walls etc - back track after big battles where possible... this will help you get all of the beads, provided you don't want to use a guide.
- Beads are entirely based around your playstyle - however I think without a doubt, the easiest/most-effective way to play the game is to air combo with Conviction/Shift Blade (check move list for launchers)... and in doing so, there are certain beads that benefit this style greatly. I would suggest, Bat Bead (steal health), Math Bead (more damage as your combo increases), Heart Bead (enemies drop more health) and either Wine/Eye bead depending on how often your health runs low. If you are frequently under 50-75% HP, use the wine bead to increase your damage output, as it increases damage as your HP decreases. If you are often at full health, the Eye Bead decreases enemy blocking - fantastic for setting up launchers and combo-locking some bosses.

Vorg

Banned
Bought this today and I must say that it´s definitely one of the best xbla games out there. Microsoft should have made a big deal out of this game being exclusive, because everything about is simply awesome. I don´t understand how such a good game can be so massively overlooked. It´s an amazing game and a steal at 800 msp.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
acidspunk said:
I don´t understand how such a good game can be so massively overlooked. It´s an amazing game and a steal at 800 msp.

Seriously. I just barely found it (I was browsing the arcade and thought the cover looked cool, I never actually heard about it). And wow, only 800msp.

Go get this game, people.

Tokubetsu

Stat Flow said:
Seriously. I just barely found it (I was browsing the arcade and thought the cover looked cool, I never actually heard about it). And wow, only 800msp.

Go get this game, people.

I don't think a lot of people care for the art style and were also a bit soured by the difficulty of the first game.

Holy testicles this game is awesome. Add me to the list of people who knew nothing about it before stumbling across it on xbla.

Just finished the game as Yuki and I've had an absolute blast dousing the screen in claret (mainly using Conviction). Looking forward to spending some time on Arcade mode and replying the story on Samurai.

Gaspode_T

James Silva tweeted that it did "okay" - I hope that word of mouth can make it sell consistently over time.

So many games on XBLA, why play this game instead of another one? I think not many 2D games have boss fights these days, and the action in this game is superior. It might sound cliche but the game plays a little like the 3D Ninja Gaidens but in 2D - it feels like you are a bad ass when things click.

They have one more big XBLA game I know of - Charlie Murder. For those wandering in this thread - Ska Studios is a very small indie studio that started programming with XNA. His talent is unquestionable. http://www.ska-studios.com/

I hope they put together some sort of retail compilation some day "Ska Studios Collection: Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, Charlie Murder"

Decado

Saddened by the lack of activity in this thread :(

Along with the first The Dishwasher game, this is easily my favourite XBLA title. Disappointed it didn't come out with more fanfare as I badly want another one (with more rpg elements, pls). I've never played or heard of a 2D side scrolling game that has a combat system this good with the possible exception of Viewtiful Joe...but The Dishwasher crushes it due to its visceral nature, IMO.

Charlie's Murder also sounds quite awesome (won't be out for a while, though :().

I've already finished it once on normal, once in co-op on normal and am currently playing through it on Ninja in SP.

Game is a little glitchy, though, and it could really use the option to "reset" characters as sometimes you just want to play through one fresh.

Game is much easier than the first, but that's probably just as well 'cause my friend was getting slaughtered in the first game.

Tokubetsu

Decado said:
Saddened by the lack of activity in this thread :(

Along with the first The Dishwasher game, this is easily my favourite XBLA title. Disappointed it didn't come out with more fanfare as I badly want another one (with more rpg elements, pls). I've never played or heard of a 2D side scrolling game that has a combat system this good with the possible exception of Viewtiful Joe...but The Dishwasher crushes it due to its visceral nature, IMO.

Charlie's Murder also sounds quite awesome (won't be out for a while, though :().

I've already finished it once on normal, once in co-op on normal and am currently playing through it on Ninja in SP.

Game is a little glitchy, though, and it could really use the option to "reset" characters as sometimes you just want to play through one fresh.

Game is much easier than the first, but that's probably just as well 'cause my friend was getting slaughtered in the first game.

A lot of us here were as well. I never finished the 1st because it just got way too difficult around the halfway point. This was great though and I've gone through it multiple times already.

Top Bottom