• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Economics of Collecting? PS vs SNES as a commodity

Disc rot.

Yeah, optical discs may be a physical form for those people who demand it, but, ironically, it's the internet and digital ROM dumps that will preserve it. Also, the much smaller production runs of cartridge games are holding up well several decades later.

Optical disc systems will never have the resale and collectible value of their cartridge-based predecessors. And that's not just because they're going to outlast them in their original physical mediums, either, when you look at how supremely playable and approachable they are.

andymcc

Banned
I've heard a lot of games are being imported to the west now which is really affecting availability domestically. Do you think that's true?

it's definitely true. i'm sure there are smaller stores in more rural areas that are relatively unaffected, but it's definitely a real issue in the Tokyo area.

the reality of the matter is that Akihabara specifically targets their prices for retro games based on Western auction prices. they anticipate the people coming to buy the games are either A) western or B) indiscriminate spenders. given the fact that these shops can only pay so much for these retro titles, they have to make the prices lucrative to the sellers that inevitably stock their store shelves. All of the big stores do this now, SuperPotato, Sofmap, Trader, Mandarake, etc. with these stores left with mostly Famicom/Super Famicom and virtually zero selection for Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, PC-Engine games because they were produced in much lower numbers than most Nintendo console titles.

the single best game store in Akihabara, Friends, refused to gouge to western prices so their selection is pretty much 1/3 of what it was five-plus years ago.

It's sad, yet inevitable, shit.

GUN-NAC

There's less and less rare stuff on the PS1, there are very few titles you can't find in stores in comparison to the SFC - and, crazy as it is, the cardboard box frailty of SFC games means good condition units tend to command silly money.

I haven't been actively tracking each day, but SFC prices have been sky rocketting. I mean - people used to balk at Rendering Ranger being 80k, it's now hitting 220k and thats not isolated.

One of the oddest things about SFC prices is stuff like Pokonyan! and Puzzle'N Desu! being considered 'rare'.

i.e. hard to get CIB, but the fact that loose carts are dirt cheap doesn't matter. At least PnD is half decent.

it's definitely true. i'm sure there are smaller stores in more rural areas that are relatively unaffected, but it's definitely a real issue in the Tokyo area.

the reality of the matter is that Akihabara specifically targets their prices for retro games based on Western auction prices. they anticipate the people coming to buy the games are either A) western or B) indiscriminate spenders. given the fact that these shops can only pay so much for these retro titles, they have to make the prices lucrative to the sellers that inevitably stock their store shelves. All of the big stores do this now, SuperPotato, Sofmap, Trader, Mandarake, etc. with these stores left with mostly Famicom/Super Famicom and virtually zero selection for Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, PC-Engine games because they were produced in much lower numbers than most Nintendo console titles.

the single best game store in Akihabara, Friends, refused to gouge to western prices so their selection is pretty much 1/3 of what it was five-plus years ago.

It's sad, yet inevitable, shit.

This is why my advice for old buying games in Japan is:
  1. Don't go to Akiba
  2. Go to BookOff, preferably several of them far from tourist zones
  3. Be OK with buying dirty, even slightly dirty is way cheaper and still way cleaner than most US games (and you can always clean stuff)
  4. Don't go to Akiba

Edit: Holy shit at the price for Little Ralph. Was so ready to buy into both of those more or less based on your recommendation, but guess I wont be able to :(

yeah it's a rough one--came out at the end of the PS1's life, small print run. It's also available on japanese PSN for a small price. totally worth the price. though the bit of PS3 lag could hurt some jumps.

Panzer Bandit is a little less, but not "just want to check it out" price. Like Gunstar Heroes+Gunner's Heaven, Guardian Heroes spawned Panzer Bandit. also on PSN.

pretty in reach if you're willing to go digital and they're worth checking out. Panzer Bandit is pretty fun and has a great combo system though it's a little repetitive, but Little Ralph is something I like more every time I play it. Some fun, tough platforming that encourages speed running and score attack. It's $200 for a reason :)

andymcc

Banned
This is why my advice for old buying games in Japan is:
  1. Don't go to Akiba
  2. Go to BookOff, preferably several of them far from tourist zones
  3. Be OK with buying dirty, even slightly dirty is way cheaper and still way cleaner than most US games (and you can always clean stuff)
  4. Don't go to Akiba

Yep. Pretty much.

Hunting BookOff or HardOff are taxing too though because the selection for a lot of older stuff simply isn't there. You can find some real gems though.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
yeah it's a rough one--came out at the end of the PS1's life, small print run. It's also available on japanese PSN for a small price. totally worth the price. though the bit of PS3 lag could hurt some jumps.

Panzer Bandit is a little less, but not "just want to check it out" price. Like Gunstar Heroes+Gunner's Heaven, Guardian Heroes spawned Panzer Bandit. also on PSN.

pretty in reach if you're willing to go digital and they're worth checking out. Panzer Bandit is pretty fun and has a great combo system though it's a little repetitive, but Little Ralph is something I like more every time I play it. Some fun, tough platforming that encourages speed running and score attack. It's $200 for a reason :)

Yeah they both looked very cool. Guess I will have to go digital with at least Little Ralph.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
One of the oddest things about SFC prices is stuff like Pokonyan! and Puzzle'N Desu! being considered 'rare'.

i.e. hard to get CIB, but the fact that loose carts are dirt cheap doesn't matter. At least PnD is half decent.

yes, this is definitely true - the loose leaf prices have had no relation to CIB - however, recently some of the loose leaf prices are starting to rise, i suspect as the CIB options disappear.

Top Bottom