• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "Fable 3 PC comes out on May 17th and nobody cares" thread |OT|

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
mr2xxx said:
Not interested in the game, but the graphics look good after looking in the PC screenshot thread.

I suppose, if you have a loose definition of "good".

Necromanti said:
Is Fable 3 really regarded as an even bigger disappointment than its predecessors? Insanity. Talk about a downhill slope for this series.

Aside from the fact that your sidekick is initially a border collie (the lord of all dogs) the game is complete and utter shit.

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed but the ipad app keeps crashing opera when i change pages. There are a number of complaints about save files being corrupted. Is this still an issue or has it been fixed? My current win7 install doesn't use a junction my my profile although my documents folder are spread over a number of drives, if that is something to consider. Is it even that common?

Also, is gfwl like steam and ea games where i can d/l games purchased at retail?

Many thanks!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
CabbageRed said:
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed but the ipad app keeps crashing opera when i change pages. There are a number of complaints about save files being corrupted. Is this still an issue or has it been fixed? My current win7 install doesn't use a junction my my profile although my documents folder are spread over a number of drives, if that is something to consider. Is it even that common?

Also, is gfwl like steam and ea games where i can d/l games purchased at retail?

Many thanks!

There is a GFWL store website with games for sale, but I don't think there is a store section on the dedicated client.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zefah said:
There is a GFWL store website with games for sale, but I don't think there is a store section on the dedicated client.

I checked out the GFWL client for the LOLs recently, and it had a storefront but it was really bad. It doesn't even display the price of games, you have to click 'MORE' or something like that to connect to a separate page.

Sorry for the confusion. If i go out and buy portal 2 and sims 3 at Best Buy, i can then register the games on their associated service (steam and eadm/origin) and download the game. Does microsoft offer the same with fable 3 and gfwl?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
CabbageRed said:
Sorry for the confusion. If i go out and buy portal 2 and sims 3 at Best Buy, i can then register the games on their associated service (steam and eadm/origin) and download the game. Does microsoft offer the same with fable 3 and gfwl?

I don't think so. You'll have the game registered to your Xbox Live user tag, but I don't think that gives you the right to download the game later on from the GFWL store. I'm pretty sure the two things are separate.

Zefah said:
I don't think so. You'll have the game registered to your Xbox Live user tag, but I don't think that gives you the right do download the game later on from the GFWL store. I'm pretty sure the two things are separate.
Curses. Hope springs eternal but your's was the answer I was expecting given ms's commitment pc gaming. Thanks for the reply.

Btw, it looks like the savegame issue is still around (haven' found anything about a patch in the works) but it looks like there may now be a true workaround, and from timeslip no less (assuming it is the same guy of oblivion etc fame).

Amazing how poorly this game performs. Typically I'd expect the GPU or CPU to be maxed when FPS drops but that isn't the case here. Also, experiencing the first BSODs this PC has had. At least morphological filtering works.

Otherwise I'm having fun. It's stupid and goofy and the "hard" setting is very laid back. A bit like a breath mint or scoop of sorbet after the rich course the was Witcher 2.

I hate to be so late to what was clearly a wildly popular and well-loved party, but I just beat the game. Both TW2 and Fable 3 have "surprise! The game is over" approaches to finales, which is a pity. The lack of heads-up information makes things more complicated (I have no idea how many health potions I had a the end) than needed, which, I suspect, is the exact opposite of what they were going for. Sort of a "you may play the game, but you are not allowed to know the game so we've made it impossible to lose" approach.

Still, while I now understand that hate it gets, I still had fun.

Oddly, when I tried to buy Traitor's Keep from within the game it tried to make me use carnival coins instead of adult money. MS clearly needs to improve communications with MS so that GFWL and GFWL can provide a consistent experience.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This probably doesn't deserve a thread since we've been through this many times over, but Pete spoke a bit about Fable III with Gamasutra. Of course, he expresses disappointment with Fable III and says that he plans on doing things differently with the next game.

"The game came together so late that we had so little time to balance and refine" some of the play mechanics, he says. "There was just a few weeks to do it. That meant that what could have been a great mechanic turned out to be a good idea."

I look at Fable III, and it's hard to be completely honest without offending people; but I know, when I read in the middle of a review that said the quality just wasn't good enough, I actually agree with those reviews.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For what it's worth, I'm rather enjoying my time with Fable 3 on the PC. I'm only three hours or so in, and while it's certainly not amazing, I'm greatly enjoying the atmosphere and feel of the game. I probably should have started on the Hard mode, though, because there hasn't been even a modicum of challenge thus far.

domlolz

Banned
I've always enjoyed the fable series but III is definitely a weird one, my first playthrough I completely fucked up and got into an insane amount of debt and unlike fable II I had no desire to play through again and I'm not sure why that was. Perhaps it was the chore that was the property market in the game? Or the complete anticlimaxes when it came to certain pivotal points in the plot?

I liked some of the new elements though like the hub, and the gauntlets and being able to combine your spells, and powering up your weapons through certain achievements even if those achievements were really shitty. Also the latter part of the game where you get to be king even though your choices were extremely limited and the end game just seemed to sneak up on you and with little anticipation.

dunno about this one, I like the fable universe and it's silliness but fable III lacked something for me and I can't quite pin point what.

Good to see that they really put some nice hi res textures in this game, looks like the old unreal games before the textures loaded but no that is with everything set to ultra. All around awful game.

O8k6x.jpg

JaseC said:
If Lionhead "dumb down" the franchise any more than they already have, the next Fable game will play itself. The primary issue I have with making Fable more casual-friendly is that those addtional steps don't need to be taken. Fable: TLC was a perfectly approachable Action-RPG and the sequel even moreso. Lionhead's "ambition" for Fable III went too far and the entire game broke down due to the poor foundation.

Fable III is a genuine atrocity that neither the intended "mainstream audience" nor fans of the franchise desire.

Haha how right you could be even if Peter claims it's not on rails. It's no surprise so many are leaving lionhead at the moment.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Good to see that they really put some nice hi res textures in this game, looks like the old unreal games before the textures loaded but no that is with everything set to ultra. All around awful game.

Nothing will help the textures but killing that awful blur effect would be a step in the right direction. Just drop the effects slider down a few notches or edit the game's ini.

My opinion of the game took a large drop last night when I started an evil character only to discover that "evil" is "follow the good path but be dick at the end." Considering how easy money is to get a hold of, there is no real motivation to do anything evil at the end. The first time around the weasley money room guy tried to make it sound like I was going to face tough choices but I had around 10 million in my pocket and there was nothing left to buy so I had no motivation to do anything evil.

Easily the weakest of the series and there removal of vital information and armor baffles me, but I still had fun.

I made the mistake of starting Fable 3 after TW2. Strangely enough Fable 3 looked average but my PC struggled to keep it at a solid framerate even after cruising through TW2 on Ultra. That was the first warning sign. Hold A was the second. Sigh.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
reptilescorpio said:
I made the mistake of starting Fable 3 after TW2. Strangely enough Fable 3 looked average but my PC struggled to keep it at a solid framerate even after cruising through TW2 on Ultra. That was the first warning sign. Hold A was the second. Sigh.

have you tried holding X instead?

reptilescorpio said:
Hold A was the second. Sigh.

Yeah, what is that all about? Is it a console thing? Transitions=Hold E, while Interact=Tap E. Is there a segment of consumers that are constantly pressing the wrong buttons and need a little extra time to consider their choice?

Which reminds that interacting with your kids--I had far too many early in the game--was a hassle since there is no challenge, only lengthy animations. A friend of mine cooed the first time she so me hug one of the kids, after passing through the room over the next few days and seeing the same thing she asked if the game was primarily about hugging and tickling kids. :/

Ningo

Just had the most disturbing achievement moment with this game.

Whistling to a kid in a town to get renown or whatever the currency is and.....

Achievement Unlocked "Touched by a Hero"!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ningo said:
Just had the most disturbing achievement moment with this game.

Whistling to a kid in a town to get renown or whatever the currency is and.....

Achievement Unlocked "Touched by a Hero"!

It's a meta-reference to the fact that playing Fable III is tantamount to molestation.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
CabbageRed said:
Yeah, what is that all about? Is it a console thing? Transitions=Hold E, while Interact=Tap E. Is there a segment of consumers that are constantly pressing the wrong buttons and need a little extra time to consider their choice?

It's just ridiculously lazy game design. LH didn't even try with this one.

Eusis

CabbageRed said:
It's definitely a Fable/Peter Molyneux quirk, no other game does stuff like that.

Anyways, noticed on CAG that [ur=http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Fable-III/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8044d53090a]it's on sale for $12.49 from Microsoft themselves[/b], and what the hell, it's probably worth it at that price. Not too bad so far as long as you go in expecting Fable II but even more streamlined, and force V-Sync outside of the game, but I'll just go back to Deus Ex for now.

Top Bottom