• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fight: Lights Out |OT| of Trejo, Soreness, and Move Controllers

TuxBobble

Makes me sad that I likely won't get the online trophies cause I picked it up so late that no one's really playing anymore. Almost definitely won't wind up getting 5 consecutive wins/etc... :(

Phew... Finally made it to the DOCKS without upgrading any stats.

It took a long while to learn the details of the fighting engine to be really efficient about striking and evading but it was a lot of fun. I wonder since I made it this far if I can go all the way to The Boss like this?

KiKaL

UntoldDreams said:
I experienced my first weird calibration moment. Since I've been playing this game for a couple months without a problem it was quite odd.

I've done the calibration without problem the same way "hundreds" of times and it simply would not work this particular time. It kept failing to recognize my calibration motions.

==MY CALIBRATION FIX
*) I held the Move controller Playstation Button down until the "turn off controller" menu popped up and turned it off.
*) I turned off both controllers that way.
*) I then turned them both back on by pushing the Playstation button and continue with calibration. It worked fine I didn't even quit the game.

I wonder if that is the same issue I have had. If so good to know there is a much easier fix then backing all the way out.

The DOCKS boss fight took me 3 minutes and was 112 calories burned off to beat him (I have low stats on my character on purpose).

Two+ months ago there was no way I could even LAST for a 3 minute fight in this game without running out of gas. One month ago I might have lasted 3 minutes but I would have been incredibly SORE and STIFF the next day.

The benefits of regularly playing this game are pretty great. I have not seen any exer-tainment game which does what this one does.

Its kinda sad that the game doesn't light the world on fire in the workout gyms because its certainly a great way to get regular exercise.

Razgreez

Picked this game up on the cheap recently. I train regularly, even hit the physical heavybag in my backyard, yet this game still had me sore after 2 hour sessions on the first day. Didn't lose any matches though my fighter did feel really sluggish at the beginning. After 7 endurance sparing training matches and a bunch of speed bag sessions i had over 500 upgrade points though and those made a huge difference in terms of my character's reaction times. Not sure what to upgrade so i just did them evenly. Think it was the speed bag that killed my shoulders so much. Never actually hit one of those in reality

TuxBobble

The only thing I wish I could change about this game, is the need to swap discs for it. I wish I could get a downloadable version. Because right now I'm hooked on Demon's Souls. And when it gets to 10-11PM and I'm tired, I don't like to pull out my disc wallet and find The Fight to swap discs. So I wind up putting Netflix instant streaming on, instead (woohoo disc-free!).

I know, I could leave The Fight near the PS3. But I'm somewhat of a neat freak and compulsively put things back where they belong (in a case).

It's a great game and a lot of fun. Just wish I could play "on-demand" style lol...

TuxBobble said:
The only thing I wish I could change about this game, is the need to swap discs for it. I wish I could get a downloadable version. Because right now I'm hooked on Demon's Souls. And when it gets to 10-11PM and I'm tired, I don't like to pull out my disc wallet and find The Fight to swap discs. So I wind up putting Netflix instant streaming on, instead (woohoo disc-free!).

I know, I could leave The Fight near the PS3. But I'm somewhat of a neat freak and compulsively put things back where they belong (in a case).

It's a great game and a lot of fun. Just wish I could play "on-demand" style lol...
This game has you sweating your ass off and your telling me that hitting the eject button and swapping a disc is too much work?

That's some strange lazy right there.

Razgreez

Dark Octave said:
This game has you sweating your ass off and your telling me that hitting the eject button and swapping a disc is too much work?

Probably doesnt even slide his wrists through the move straps when he does play as it's too much effort. Rather lets them flap around annoyingly with every swing of the controller :p

TuxBobble

Dark Octave said:

Hey, don't question my methods.

There's a difference between having fun playing a game and the mundane tasks associated with it. (i.e. disc-swapping if I'm doing it repeatedly) I'm not saying I won't ever do it. I'm just saying from my experience, I am far more likely to play "what's in the console" than swap discs, if I'm not sure which to choose. So, if this were a downloaded title, it would ALWAYS be "what's in the console". Making the decision that much easier...haha.

But yes, I am a strange kind of lazy...

Sony's stealthily dropped a fitness pack update for The Fight on this week's PlayStation Store update which is actually pretty cool. Lets you earn Skill Points for your character, and lets you really customise your workout. There's also a bunch of new training mini-games on offer, and it's only £3.99.

I did a little write-up on it, figured you'd be interested:

Dropping like a ninja as part of today’s PlayStation Store update is a “Fitness Pack” extension for Sony’s motion brawler, The Fight. If, like us, you’ve spent the past few months using The Fight as a substitute for a gym membership, you might be interested to learn that the Fitness Pack includes a number of new training methods to help target your punching, endurance and overall cardio.

Split into a series of new mini-games, the Fitness Pack includes new exercises such as arm circles, jump squats, high-knee running and lunges. There are also a few new punching exercises: combo punching is similar to the main game’s target practice, but requires a combination of punches as opposed to single jabs; Duke sparring pitches you against the unbeatable Danny Trejo, testing your technique and general reactions; and, our favourite, Dummy, simply asks you to let rip against a limb-less torso that’s super-satisfying to punch. The exercises work well, and while it’s possible to cheat, the benefits when performing the tasks correctly feel good. You definitely feel the burn on some of them. All of the exercises can be split into rounds, allowing you to set the length and intensity. Alternatively you can do a circuit of all the mini-games, specifying a target calorie goal or session length. Stats are stored in a new area of the menu, allowing you to analyse your progress over time, as well as observe a neat little pie-chart break-down of each of the exercises and their cumulative calorie burn.

For £3.99 it’s a fantastic extension to The Fight’s core experience, especially if you’ve previously found value in the game as a fitness accessory. Participating in the training mini-games even earns Skill Points, allowing you to level-up your in-game character quicker too. The only real disappointment is the absence of new trophies. While the real-life gains of stronger muscles and longer endurance are the real reward, it’s always nice to have a digital trinket to keep you motivated.

http://www.pushsquare.com/23384/whats-in-the-fights-fitness-pack/

Anyone going to pick it up?

Awesome!

I'm totally buying this. My fitness level has greatly improved because of this game.

The regular and routine beatdowns in the game have really made me feel healthier (and lose weight almost 2 belt sizes).

I beat the single player with a low stats character and was considering a weighted gloves run next but this will be even better.

Yeah, my upper-body is way stronger since I started with the game too. It's amazing how fast my jabs are in comparison to when I started. It really is such an under-rated game.

get2sammyb said:
Yeah, my upper-body is way stronger since I started with the game too. It's amazing how fast my jabs are in comparison to when I started. It really is such an under-rated game.

Have you tried the head tracking? I noticed by ducking and dodging left/right while punching my stomach, abs, and legs also gained quite a bit of conditioning.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Pretty sure I'll be picking this up for only 10 dollars, really can't be beat. Seems like people in here are all about it.

woodypop

msdstc said:
Pretty sure I'll be picking this up for only 10 dollars, really can't be beat. Seems like people in here are all about it.
Yeah, just got it for $10 last night. Now I gotta get me some Move controllers. lol

Holy smokes the DLC workout is a good workout.

Sparring with Danny Trejo is a "rest phase" compared to doing lunges and jumping even though it burns way more calories to box Danny.

*** You work at this every day you are going to be really fit and healthy

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Missed out on the 10 dollar oppurtunity. I guess I'll check the other target tomorrow, but they were all sold out at the one closest to me.

Dodging animation I made.
Headtreack leaning and tilting Move allows for a short burst of movement.
dodge.gif

onQ123

ok thanks.

& since I'm here I might as well post my The Fight:Lights Out Videos

The Fight: Lights Out - You Can't Move Your Feet Mythbusted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xTunh7VuTM

THE FIGHT:LIGHTS OUT - FITNESS PACK (already posted)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv_GvXeEeYQ

The Fight: Lights Out 225 rounds Endurance Sparring
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW5JBwuqQIc

The Fight: Lights Out 1:1 tracking is Amazing ( PlayStation Move & Head Tracking)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15C8j6o9fKI

The Fight: Lights Out made it to 30 minutes in Target Practice Training
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1t6xaS_jkM

The Fight: Lights Out - Head Tracking Tip ( how to get it to work perfectly )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALlAK6jivn0

by the way I love this game it really gives you a good workout.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
UntoldDreams said:
Dodging animation I made.
Headtreack leaning and tilting Move allows for a short burst of movement.
dodge.gif
One thing I noticed is if you do hold your arms up in the dev's recommended guard position (elbows tucked in front of your ribs with both hands up pointing palms towards your face) is you get an instant quick dodge to one side or the other when you hit the move button form guard. Great if you like to infight like Miyata or Itagaki. (Also pretty much your only real option if your head tracking consistently sucks.)

It's also really useful for setting up counter punches since you don't physically shift much so you're in good position to throw a solid punch. Especially so if your opponent likes to settle into a predictable 121212121212121212121212... pattern.

Helps keep the spazzy flailing dodge animation response in check too.

onQ123

El Rauha said:
+1 to this.

Suprised how good it really is. Stealthy too; definetly a work out (just like the actual game!).

EA should use this games fighting system for a Fight Night game!

knowing EA & how they have been making the EA Sports Active games lately they might try to sell a Fight Night game with this

ea-sports-active-2-bundle-ps3-.jpg

which might not be such a bad thing is it work with move tracking your hands & use the bands to track your leg movements

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
onQ123 said:
which might not be such a bad thing is it work with move tracking your hands & use the bands to track your leg movements
Those bands aren't all that accurate. At best EA Active 2 just does gesture based stuff, and the things get laggy like crazy in situations requiring rapid responses. I've had mine wig out on a few of the exercises.

No way would that setup work with a real game.

Afrikan

well how about this old mock up, for kickboxing game or work outs involving leg movement.....of course it would have to be 1player....or online against someone else.... it would exceed the bluetooth device limit of 7 (one including the PS3 itself)...if you tried to have 2 player split screen, let alone accidentally kicking each other.

ps3_motion_control_patent-523x365-custom.gif

edit- ha, just noticed this pic is linked to one of your posts onq from last year....lol.

onQ123

Freshmaker said:
Those bands aren't all that accurate. At best EA Active 2 just does gesture based stuff, and the things get laggy like crazy in situations requiring rapid responses. I've had mine wig out on a few of the exercises.

No way would that setup work with a real game.

I was thinking more of just using one of the little trackers as a belt clip just to help the game keep track of where you are but using the move controllers & head tracking like The Fight

Afrikan said:
well how about this old mock up, for kickboxing game or work outs involving leg movement.....of course it would have to be 1player....or online against someone else.... it would exceed the bluetooth device limit of 7 (one including the PS3 itself)...if you tried to have 2 player split screen, let alone accidentally kicking each other.

ps3_motion_control_patent-523x365-custom.gif

edit- ha, just noticed this pic is linked to one of your posts onq from last year....lol.

lol really? yeah I talk about this stuff alot , the picture is funny but if they made a game that tracked your feet as good as the move tracks your hands it could be some next level stuff I think they used that picture just to get the point across that you can use your full body I hope no one try that in their living room

2cektnm.jpg

old picture I made from that patent lol

I wonder who would be the brave Game Dev that would try to sell a game that need 4 Move controllers?

I'm still waiting for more games that use 2

I am pretty sure tying Move controllers to a person's foot isn't going to be acceptable with most people.

At best Sony would use camera recognition from "Kung-Fu Live" to measure kicking gestures and head tracking movement.

It would still be a complete full body gaming experience with the accuracy of Move for your hand strikes.

It would be a lot of fun if they integrated The Fight with a beat em up RPG like Yakuza.

onQ123

UntoldDreams said:
I am pretty sure tying Move controllers to a person's foot isn't going to be acceptable with most people.

At best Sony would use camera recognition from "Kung-Fu Live" to measure kicking gestures and head tracking movement.

It would still be a complete full body gaming experience with the accuracy of Move for your hand strikes.

It would be a lot of fun if they integrated The Fight with a beat em up RPG like Yakuza.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59674

I talked about using the PS-Eye for body tracking like Kung-fu live to do full body tracking with 2 moves on beyond3d

the only problem with that is everyone doesn't have the right lighting & surroundings to have PS-Eye track perfectly & The Fights head tracking doesn't work in as many background & lighting situations as Kung-Fu Live because they set the camera to work better with the Move tracking so it takes away from the body tracking.

even though head tracking works perfect for me with a sheet over my dark curtains most people won't be able to fix this so easily .

(ultrasonic tracking)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtwOxcQbveI

isn't the EA Sports Active bands using ultrasonic tracking?

I was thinking just use the bands to help out with the feet tracking since it doesn't have to be in the cameras view.

(The Fight: Lights Out - You Can't Move Your Feet Mythbusted)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xTunh7VuTM

since they already have the upper body & hands tracking working perfectly & just need to know where your feet is compared to where the Move & your head is. (pressing circle in The Fight re-centers your in game feet to where you moved in the real world.)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
onQ123 said:
I was thinking more of just using one of the little trackers as a belt clip just to help the game keep track of where you are but using the move controllers & head tracking like The Fight
Even then, I wouldn't trust those devices from EA to do the job.

onQ123

Freshmaker said:
Even then, I wouldn't trust those devices from EA to do the job.

lol that bad huh?

but I still think if it's just being used to help pin point where your waist is compared to your head & the Move controllers it would work out in a Fight Night game.

using the ultrasonic waves bouncing back from the PS-Eye Mic's to track where your waist is which would give a good read of where you are

(Distance in Inches)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI__UjqEu2U

PlayStation Move doing most of the tracking just use the ultrasonic clip-on to keep track of where your body is compared to where the Move controllers are since the move controllers can't always know where your body is because your hands are moving back & forth so when you move it still knows how far your hands are going from your body.

they can do this using the size of your head too but that won't always give the right reading because your head be moving & turning.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
onQ123 said:
lol that bad huh?
They're good for what they do, but they are extremely limited from what I've experienced so far.

There are a few exercises like mountain-boarding and the boxing combo station where the things will just go nuts if you try to do any rapid inputs. In both instances EA Active will just start playing itself for a while.

Maybe if it was just polling your position, but the things don't show any real capacity for awareness of distance or orientation. They know when they've been turned sideways, and that's about it.

TuxBobble

Gotta say, I only did one round of circuit training, but it was a lot of fun. Most of the actual trainings were stupid technologically--animations were stiff and not 1:1 like I'm used to from the rest of the game, for instance, but that's ok. I actually DID the actions rather than faking them (which you definitely could do to cheat) and it's a nice mix into an already awesome game.

Man, I still get tired playing it though--haven't had enough time to get into a full routine with it yet.

Fox1304

I have a problem with the Fitness DLC.
I've bought it on the EU store, but the option on the game is still gray ...
My game is a UK one, not sure if that may be the problem ?
I've tried re-installing the DLC pack, but no luck :(
Any help ?

Fox1304 said:
I have a problem with the Fitness DLC.
I've bought it on the EU store, but the option on the game is still gray ...
My game is a UK one, not sure if that may be the problem ?
I've tried re-installing the DLC pack, but no luck :(
Any help ?

I learned this the hard way.

There's two EU region versions out there for this game, UK and EU.

I bought the game from UK and the DLC from the Australian store (which is EU apparently) and the DLC didn't work.

I had to secure another copy locally.

So yeah, I guess you have to check on ebay or find a local copy :/

Fox1304

OneMoreQuestion said:
I learned this the hard way.

There's two EU region versions out there for this game, UK and EU.

I bought the game from UK and the DLC from the Australian store (which is EU apparently) and the DLC didn't work.

I had to secure another copy locally.

So yeah, I guess you have to check on ebay or find a local copy :/
Shit, that's what I thought :(
Guess I'll re-buy the DLC pack in the UK Store then ...

edit : crap, with the two DLC that'll be as much money as the full game :(

T-0800

After spending sometime with the Move Fitness demo (which I'm planning to buy now) I decided to pop in The Fight. I haven't played it.....this year maybe....and I thought I was going to collapse (not joking) after one of my fights. The fight only went for about 90 seconds before I finally dropped the guy and at the end of it was struggling to breathe.

Says a lot about my fitness level I guess.

Effect

I ordered this last week but haven't really been able to play. I believe I have a lighting issue. Whenever I raise my hands up to guard my face (during the preparation stage at the very beginning) I lose connection. I'm assuming it's because my Move controllers are very close to the ceiling light and the Eye can't tell where the controllers are because of this. As soon as I lower my hands things are just fine. Are there any suggestions on how to go about properly lighting the room enough if I turned the ceiling light out?

I'm thinking a floor lamp that has three or more bulbs on it. Point them in various directions. Is this the way to go? Moving to another room isn't really an option at this point in time. Though not sure if it should be in front of me off to the side of the TV so the light is right on me or perhaps behind me or just off the side with bulbs that have enough watts to light up the entire room by point in various directions.

I ordered this last week but haven't really been able to play. I believe I have a lighting issue. Whenever I raise my hands up to guard my face (during the preparation stage at the very beginning) I lose connection. I'm assuming it's because my Move controllers are very close to the ceiling light and the Eye can't tell where the controllers are because of this. As soon as I lower my hands things are just fine. Are there any suggestions on how to go about properly lighting the room enough if I turned the ceiling light out?

I'm thinking a floor lamp that has three or more bulbs on it. Point them in various directions. Is this the way to go? Moving to another room isn't really an option at this point in time. Though not sure if it should be in front of me off to the side of the TV so the light is right on me or perhaps behind me or just off the side with bulbs that have enough watts to light up the entire room by point in various directions.
I have a single bulb floor lamp behind and to the left of me, at about 6 feet away. Kitchen light on the far right.

Durng the day with the windows open I can use head tracking a little bit.

Effect

Picked up a floor lamp after work and that seemed to help a lot. My lighting condition went up to excellent. Head tracking is still bad so still have to get that working. Haven't toggled it on to see how that works with the new light. Before I got the light though it did seem to work for some reason. I need to try moving the Eye to the top of the TV as well later as my punches aren't landing where I want to them to and I think it's because the Eye is looking up towards me instead of straight at me. Even then it's still not in a great place. I managed to get pass the tutorial and do at least two fights. Managed to win the first one but got wreck in the second one.

Going to finish reading the thread to see see if there more tips on how to properly do things as I think I'm doing something wrong. Then when I get more free time this evening get back to it before it's to late. It does seem I have to be pretty deliberate about my moves though. Just finishing the tutorial and the first match though had me sweating and panting a nice bit. Honestly hadn't expected that as it didn't seem like I was doing a lot just thinking about it.

Top Bottom