• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Films of Studio Ghibli |OT| Creating New Worlds

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite is probably Hal's Moving Castle.

Hal-malcolm-in-the-middle-33314515-1024-768.png

Fjordson

This reminds me that I caught the theatrical release of Only Yesterday a few weeks ago. Looked amazing on the big screen and the dub is very well done. Especially Daisy Ridley.

Saw Marnie and Kaguya recently. Found Kaguya average and a little overrated even. Preferred Marnie but not by a lot.

Do want to check out Only Yesterday though.

Faves are Howl, Mononoke, Spirited Away and Kiki.

Worst are Wind Rises, Porco Rosso.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I've only seen that movie once years ago, so interested in watching the dub sometime in the future.

I did not find the dub to be very good. In fact after about 15 minutes of it we left and exchanged our tickets for a later show that had subs, and came back for that. I am not a sub/dub snob by any means but the dub on this just did not work for me.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Saw Marnie and Kaguya recently. Found Kaguya average and a little overrated even. Preferred Marnie but not by a lot.

Do want to check out Only Yesterday though.

Faves are Howl, Mononoke, Spirited Away and Kiki.

Worst are Wind Rises, Porco Rosso.

PORCO ROSSO, THE WORST?? *hyperventilates*

But yeah, Mononoke and Spirited Away are the best.

frontovik

Banned
I'm surprised that Porco Rosso isn't as well regarded compared to Ghibli films like Mononoke or Nausicaa, what your reasons exactly? It's the fact that the protagonist is a pig, isn't it?! Though I would argue that Fio is the main lead.

I thought it was a fun and charming film, and the music score is definitely one of Hisashi's best.

Fjordson

I loved Porco Rosso, but I feel that way about literally all of Ghibli's films. Miyazaki's output, Princess Kaguya, Whisper of the Heart, Form Up On Poppy Hill, etc. I've yet to watch a Ghibli movie I didn't enjoy immensely.

RangerBAD

More Laputa representation is needed in this thread. There are no bad Ghibli films though. Just the use of the word "worst" in a comment about Ghibli films is incomprehensible.

Apt101

I love them all, but I go back and forth between Princess Mononoke and Ponyo as my favorites. Princess' just hits all of my fantasy loves, while Ponyo is the perfect kind of whimsical and I love the ocean and rain.

Objectively, Spirited Away is probably the most well-made film the studio has done - but that doesn't mean it has to be my favorite.

But man I love them all. Kiki's, Nausicaa (I know, but it's still a Miyazaki joint), even Arrietty. Howl's is a visual masterpiece. Ugh. I hope they continue making films for the rest of my life.

When Marnie Was There was set to be one of the best (onesided lmao) lesbian love stories of all time.

And then the twist happened.

Oh well. Still enjoyed it.

BumRush

Question for Ghibli-GAF...

First off, please don't hate me. I couldn't get into Spirited Away OR Princess Mononoke (outside of the art style they were okay, nothing special to me), but thought that Howl's Moving Castle was fantastic. Something just clicked a lot more with that one. What should I watch next? Thanks!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
When Marnie Was There was set to be one of the best (onesided lmao) lesbian love stories of all time.

And then the twist happened.

Oh well. Still enjoyed it.

gif-chloe-concerned-confused-girl-kid-look-say-what-side-eye-side-eyeing-suspicious-think-thinking-gif.gif

First off, please don't hate me. I couldn't get into Spirited Away OR Princess Mononoke (outside of the art style they were okay, nothing special to me), but thought that Howl's Moving Castle was fantastic. Something just clicked a lot more with that one. What should I watch next? Thanks!

Since Howl is more straightforward than those two, give The Wind Rises a try. It's like Miyazaki directed a Takahata film.

Fjordson

Holy moly. Those are maybe the two most acclaimed Miyazaki films, so I'm not really sure. Maybe something else underrated like Porco Rosso.

I certainly won't be able to help you, since in my estimation Howl's Moving Castle is by far the worst of Miyazaki's movies. An abysmal mess of a movie.

LuuKyK

Well thats weird. I consider Spirited Away and Howl's to be very similar movies. Strange that you thought so different of both.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Discotek is bringing the blu-ray release of Isao Takahata's directorial debut to the US this March!

The Horus, Prince of the Sun Blu-ray is scheduled for a March 2017 release. The film will be presented with English audio, Japanese audio and English subtitles. It is directed by Isao Takahata, of Studio Ghibli fame. Hayao Miyazaki provided the scene designs and worked on the key animation of the film.

It's honestly not a great film - not bad, just very very rough. Still, hopefully this is a sign that they're willing to bring the rest of the Takahata/Miyazaki pre-Ghibli works over to the US (since they're already all on blu-ray in Japan).

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Amazon and Best Buy are having a modest sale on some Studio Ghibli BDs for $12.99, although Amazon is being stingy and is Prime-exclusive, so I've got to go with the BB list. I only feel like treating myself to four, so what would your recommendations be?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/evn17808-disney-anime

I already own Nausicaa on BD, as well as Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away on DVD. If Spirited Away had also been 12.99 I'd probably have double dipped. As it is, I have Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, and My Neighbor Totoro in my cart.

Xe4

Banned
Discotek is bringing the blu-ray release of Isao Takahata's directorial debut to the US this March!

It's honestly not a great film - not bad, just very very rough. Still, hopefully this is a sign that they're willing to bring the rest of the Takahata/Miyazaki pre-Ghibli works over to the US (since they're already all on blu-ray in Japan).

I really liked Horus. I thought Hilda was a brilliant character, and you could tell the love that was put into the film, even though it was obvious Toei was still dragging it down by trying to make it into a Disney film.

Amazon and Best Buy are having a modest sale on some Studio Ghibli BDs for $12.99, although Amazon is being stingy and is Prime-exclusive, so I've got to go with the BB list. I only feel like treating myself to four, so what would your recommendations be?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/evn17808-disney-anime

I already own Nausicaa on BD, as well as Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away on DVD. If Spirited Away had also been 12.99 I'd probably have double dipped. As it is, I have Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, and My Neighbor Totoro in my cart.

Thanks for the info, may buy one or two.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Hey everyone!

I happened to watch The Cat Returns for the very first time last night, and I have to say I've never been more left more utterly captivated and charmed by a film. It's such a wonderful, beautiful piece of work. Not only is it beautifully animated, but the film projects so much warmth and wit, bolstering by it's dizzying imagination in the way in which it brings the story to life.

The film is absolutely hilarious as well, littered with numerous laugh-out-loud moments for me. This moment especially had me cracking up:

2167435424_1d1d1ec395_z.jpg

So yes, I absolutely loved this film. The voice cast was spectacular as well (I watched the English dub version, as I always tend to do with foreign animation so I can concentrate more on the visuals). The Baron was definitely my favourite character, very Errol Flynn/Scarlett Pimpernel-esque!

Despite being a huge animation fan, the only Studio Ghibli film's I've seen have been this, Howl's Moving Castle and The Wind Rises. I've clearly been missing out on so many of the other Ghibli movies I haven't gotten around to watching. Has anyone got any recommendations in regards to what I should watch next?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Despite being a huge animation fan, the only Studio Ghibli film's I've seen have been this, Howl's Moving Castle and The Wind Rises. I've clearly been missing out on so many of the other Ghibli movies I haven't gotten around to watching. Has anyone got any recommendations in regards to what I should watch next?

Watch all of them and in order!

The Cat Returns is one of their weaker efforts, so you're in for a real treat!

watershed

Banned
Random thought but the fact that Miyazaki has again unretired himself takes a lot of the poignancy and finality out of The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness. I hope someone makes a documentary for his next retirement.

watershed

Banned
Also, Anno totally nails his voice acting for Jiro in The Wind Rises. In Anno, Miyazaki found exactly that old intellectual voice he wanted for Jiro. Too bad Joseph Gordon Levitt didn't quite nail his VA.

GCX

Random thought but the fact that Miyazaki has again unretired himself takes a lot of the poignancy and finality out of The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness. I hope someone makes a documentary for his next retirement.
There already was a documentary on NHK in December about Miyazaki's "secret year". It mostly revolves around Miyazaki making the Ghibli Museum short film and how he ended up deciding to make it a full-length movie. There's a lot of great behind stuff material in it about Miyazaki trying to learn the ways of CG animation.

1upsuper

Can anyone vouch for any of the Ghibli art books? I love art books and I love Ghibli so it seems like a no brainer, but from what I've seen and heard, the art books tend to be bloated with stills from the movies. Are there any that focus more on concept art, sketches, etc.?

Top Bottom