• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First Descendant highlighted as high-potential source of revenue in Nexon’s financial report

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
DxYtIk3.png

Nexon recently released its financial report for Quarter 2 (April 1 to June 30) of the fiscal year ending on December 31, 2024 (Source: Gamebiz). The South Korean developer and publisher headquartered in Tokyo, Japan revealed that the success of Dungeon & Fighter Mobile in China contributed to them achieving record net sales and operating profit for the period. The company also expects the global hit looter shooter The First Descendant to greatly contribute to figures from July onwards, according to their quarter 3 financial outlook.

Dungeon & Fighter Mobile (part of the Dungeon Fighter Online franchise) became an instant hit in China upon its release on May 21, 2024. It has been the top grossing mobile game in China for 11 weeks, only recently being knocked off the top spot on August 15 (source: Sensor Tower). “We are extremely pleased with our recent progress which includes breakaway performances by Dungeon & Fighter Mobile in China and a brand new IP, The First Descendant,” said Junghun Lee, Nexon’s President and CEO (Source: Nexon).
20240816-35567-0%1D02.png

On a worldwide scale,The First Descendant is Nexon’s big multi-platform hit at the moment. Released on July 2, it is likely to contribute towards Nexon’s performance in Quarter 3 of 2024 (July 1 to September 30). Gathering momentum prior to release and being free-to-play, the TPS hit number one on the Steam download charts in its first week. Last month it reached an all-time high of 264,860 concurrent players on Steam alone, with average weekday numbers hovering between 30,000 and 60,000 players (source: SteamDB). Although praised for its fun online gameplay, visuals and character designs, the game has received mixed reviews based on its high levels of grind and low drop rates. It remains to be seen how profitable the First Descendant’s monetization system will be for Nexon.

Played for quite a bit (90 hours maybe) but spent nothing and have since moved on with no intention of going back. It's all just too generic, grindy and cash grabby for my tastes. I struggle to comprehend how people feel comfortable pouring so much money into something like that.

MaKTaiL

Played for quite a bit (90 hours maybe) but spent nothing and have since moved on with no intention of going back. It's all just too generic, grindy and cash grabby for my tastes. I struggle to comprehend how people feel comfortable pouring so much money into something like that.
I only spent enough to grab the season pass and that's it. For everything else me and my friends are going totally F2P. It's not like the game is forcing you to buy stuff.

Roxkis_ii

You know whats a breath of fresh air?
The game telling where everything drops and at what drop rate. Is so nice not having to go to the games wiki everytime I need to know where to find something.

At what point does the gram get cash grabby?
Only thing that temps me are the research timer reductions.

Mikado

At what point does the gram get cash grabby?

Only thing that temps me are the research timer reductions.

So far it hasn't really - and I've got like 300+ hours in.

Descendant storage slots are the only important thing you cannot obtain in any way without paying - but they're like 60 cents CAD each and you likely won't need any until you have hundreds of hours in at which point it's not unreasonable to pay a few bucks for a game that has clearly provided a ton of stuff to do (and with pretty high production values at that).

They do seem to have a strong "No Cosmetics Without Cash" mandate with very few exceptions. So if you want to look pretty then you'll have to pay for the privilege but that doesn't affect the game at all.

People whine about the Energy Activators and Catalyst prices on the shop (Potatoes and Formas in Warframe terms) but unlike warframe you're not supposed to buy them. The BP for them drop just fine from the AMPs (Relics). They're only priced as they are for psychological anchoring reasons.

I've easily dropped a couple hundred bucks but that's just on cute outfits (I like to reward good dev behaviour when I see it) and a handful of descendant slots because I'm a hoarder (lots of people just delete the descendants they don't like or get rid of the non-Prime versions when they unlock the Ultmate versions). Never rushed a research nor felt pressured to personally.

MqduUc.gif

j0hnnix

I got Bunny to level 40 but still haven't finished story but it's dumb fun. I'll keep at it with characters ,still leveling up freyna. Really haven't really seen the need to spend the cash yet but have dumped a good amount of hours into it.

I have over 300 hours of playtime. Still missing Yujin and Esiemo. Luna is in the oven.
I have spent quite a few bucks buying mostly outfits and color dyes. The only character I did buy was ult bunny wich I regreted later as she's not that hard to farm.

I tried it for 15 minutes and immediately dropped and uninstalled. Hard pass for a grindy online live-service third person sci-fi shooter. Dime a dozen these days and extremely boring. Level design was also very cookie cutter, and I got very strong "we want this to be like Warframe!!" vibes.

Welllll, there's already a Warframe, so... pick another lane or do something different. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom