• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

McLaren’s impressive pace on the first day of testing in Jerez in February was generated by a mistake when the car was being put together in the factory, Martin Whitmarsh has confirmed.

A suspension component was fitted incorrectly to the new car – apparently it was simply the wrong way round – and the unexpectedly low ride height that resulted happened to work well at the Spanish track. Button set the pace that day, suggesting that the MP4-28 could be the car to beat.

However once the mistake was discovered that night, it was rectified, as the car could not be run in that state long term at other venue, especially with heavy fuel loads.

Since then the team has struggled to get close to that initial performance, leading rivals and other observers to wonder just why the McLaren had been so impressive out of the box.

laughr5urd.gif

DBT85

Can someone explain to me how a F1 team doesn't notice its car is running with a much lower ride height than expected?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Can someone explain to me how a F1 team doesn't notice its car is running with a much lower ride height than expected?

I think that main reason is in quite smooth tarmac in Jerez, track is almost bump-less. No wonder they already struggled in Barcelona and Melbourne is several magnitudes more bumpy than Jerez

Addnan

What happens if there continues to be heavy rain? Surely they can't delay the quali too much. it would get too close to the race.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Bloody hell, fell asleep 10 minutes before qualifying. Looks like I didn't miss much, qualifying and the race the same day means little to no sleep at all now.

Q1 was entertaining though, with all the bumps and spins. I know it's important to be relatively safe, but the conditions looked driveable near the end; I've certainly seen worse. But I guess it was getting darker in Australia...

McLaren off to a good start as normal then :lol

Wonder if they will have the middle pack performance car this year.

Sometimes I just feel embarrassed to be a Mclaren supporter. :(

same here but I also find them hilarious at times with some of the shit that happens to them, I only stick with them because I used to follow them at a young age.

jey_16

Banned
Why use times from the weekend that were not part of qualifying when they can use the parts that were from at least one section of qualifying.

I read some where that they just revert to last years constructors championship standings for the grid positions....I.e red bull 1 & 2, Ferrari 3 & 4 etc

kharma45

HOW can this happen? They have one qualifying session completed. Just run the race with that.

That apparently is one suggestion, the other is just going with the car numbers... :\

FIA apparently wanted to introduce new rule this year whereby grid would be decided by previous session, so in this case, Q1 times. However the rule was vetoed by Red Bull who wanted it to be sorted by driver number.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Going to go out and say Alonso for pole. The RBR is quick but for some reason I see him doing well this morning. McLaren to fail at Q2, alas

Goldrusher

Top Bottom