• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

"pure" F1 is not entertaining. Ratings, crowds etc want to see overtaking. Technology these days means you cant have both.

Pretty sure the Schumacher time was the most succesful time of the F1.

The ratings get significantly worse with each season in the last years now.

mclem

What? They paid good money to watch a motor race and they have been robbed of a fair contest due to tyres randomly going pop. If I had paid the ridiculous ticket prices to watch this I would be upset.
Did spectators get refunds in the era when there would be several engine blowouts per race?

fuenf

MS winning the world championship by the French GP in Magny Cours wasnt entertaining. That's my point.

At least the fastest guy in the best car won back then, imo F1 went downhill when they started to focus on making overtaking easier. The audience isnt as dumb as you think, different fuel strategys etc. added tons of excitement and werent any harder to understand than this tyre crap.

moojito

Slasher finding his... unique approach to thinning out the competition not working out so well after losing the front wing?

Jezbollah

Pirelli was some years after Schumacher or?

It depends what years you define the Schumacher era as.

Also, why did the FIA introduce the massive regulation changes in 2009 - return to slicks, reduction of aero, KERS/DRS if the Schumacher era was the most successful? Why change such a successful formula?

"Pure F1", and "Entertainment F1" cannot co-exist anymore. Pirelli are not to blame with the issues today. They have never had issues like this in other control tyre racing like this - they are not incompetent. They are in F1 because they, the FIA/Bernie etc gave them the conditions they are currently running under. The FIA are to blame with no tyre testing. No teams want to see their cars blow tyres out of the lead. They want to run their cars within the parameters of reliability to secure the best results. No one wins in this current situation, but blame in this case is being pointed in the wrong direction.

Top Bottom