• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Bo-Locks

What a fucking farce.

I won't be watching F1 again until the tires are sorted out.

Can you imagine if you had payed hundreds of pounds to go to the British GP and the Briton, leading the race, has a blow out out after 15 minutes, and the race is being led by the safety car, while the teams instruct their drivers to avoid the kerbs (which are presumably safe and the same or similar to last year), all because the tire manufacturer which has been ruining the sport for the past few years, can't do their job properly due to politics and incompetence.

Fuck off F1.

Ark

Very true. However wasnt there a compromise of putting a temporary chicane in but Bridgestone (who had tyre data from Firestone) rejected it?

This is down to only one thing: lack of tyre testing.

No. This is Pirelli failing at being able to make a tyre. They could have stuck with last years tyres but nope, they wanted to make new ones.

It's not difficult for a multi-national tyre manufacturer to create tyres that can survive a 52-lap F1 race.

Juicy Bob

I don't blame Pirelli. I blame the FIA and the teams,.

Pirelli have minimal testing with 2013 cars, so they're trying to design soft tyres that degrade properly virtually blind.

Pirelli offer new, harder compounds to the teams, and they vote against.

So the FIA, the teams and Pirelli are all to blame for this chaos. But Pirelli are the only ones who are going to face a shitstorm for it, as per usual...

Omiee

No. This is Pirelli failing at being able to make a tyre. They could have stuck with last years tyres but nope, they wanted to make new ones.

It's not difficult for a multi-national tyre manufacturer to create tyres that can survive a 52-lap F1 race.

I thought it was under order from the fia to make races exciting?

Shaneus

I wonder if the reason Vergne went and not Ricciardo is because the latter is known to be a slightly more cautious driver?

I guess now at least we can hope for a genuine tyre failure on Vettel's car.

fuenf

Pirelli have minimal testing with 2013 cars, so they're trying to design soft tyres that degrade properly virtually blind.

So the FIA, the teams and Pirelli are all to blame for this chaos. But Pirelli are the only ones who are going to face a shitstorm for it, as per usual...

the whole concept of having tyres degrade to ensure an exciting race is madness. I just want everyone to drive as fast as possible.

Dead Man

Pretty much. I don't really blame the teams that didn't want new tyres either, rewarding teams for failing to adapt to the tyres is not something that should be encouraged.

Mostly I blame the FIA.

Ark

I thought it was under order from the fia to make races exciting?

No. They could do what they want, but the FIA suggested that they should make the races more interesting.

We went from Bridgestones that could last an entire race to Prielli's that can barely last 20 laps.

You don't have to, Webber's off to WEC next year!

I've been a big fan of WEC since it came into play last year, I certainly look forward to seeing him win Le Mans with Porsche in person next year :)

Jezbollah

Pretty much. I don't really blame the teams that didn't want new tyres either, rewarding teams for failing to adapt to the tyres is not something that should be encouraged.

Mostly I blame the FIA.

I blame the FIA and Bernie. Pirelli were under the remit to introduce tyres that would add an unpredictable element to racing. Not to provide a conservative, bulletproof tyre that Bridgestone provided beforehand.

It worked at first, everyone raved about Pirellis when the teams didnt quite know how to set the cars up for them, and didnt have the knowledge or confidence to push them to their limit. Conservative setups + new, softer tyres = entertainment.

Now the teams dont have testing, but have the belief and *think* they know how to push the tyres, we see incidents like this.

29 laps down and no more failures *touch wood*. This would indicate that fuel loads would have been a contributing factor.

fuenf

Mostly I blame the FIA.

Exactly, everything in this sport is artificial nowadays. Watching Audi / Toyota go all out at Le Mans was far more exciting than this shit (despite similar efforts to balance the cars).

Omiee

No. They could do what they want, but the FIA suggested that they should make the races more interesting.

We went from Bridgestones that could last an entire race to Prielli's that can barely last 20 laps.

The problem is not with the tires not lasting for the whole race, that is making things interesting with stops etc. The problem is with tires breaking and exploding.

Jezbollah

Exactly, everything in this sport is artificial nowadays. Watching Audi / Toyota go all out at Le Mans was far more exciting than this shit (despite similar efforts to balance the cars).

"pure" F1 is not entertaining. Ratings, crowds etc want to see overtaking. Technology these days means you cant have both.

Top Bottom